OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3725, 3726, 3727 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
It's hilarious people criticize Morey for being a flawed GM when his approach to team building is literally the same as ours (acquire superstars, figure it out from there), but with some key (i.e. superior) differences.

1) much better at building at the margins, discovering diamonds in the rough. In Rob's short tenure, with the exception of maybe Caruso, he goes after strictly known entities, or worse, guys known for what they were in 2009 (cough Rondo)

2) goes after guys that actually fit a coherent philosophy, not just guys whose names we recognize or had chemistry with one particular player 5 years ago but drags the entire offense and defense down otherwise.

And all this without having the built in glamour of an LA Laker team. If AD and LeBron forced their way to the Rockets, I have no doubt he'd build a better team around tham Rob.

Would be hilarious if after 1 season Rob Lowe puts together a championship team while morey takes yet another el
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Morey did a great job addressing the Rockets' rebounding and interior defense issues. Great job. I also love his creativity with that Nene contract. Truly brilliant.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Morey did a great job addressing the Rockets' rebounding and interior defense issues. Great job. I also love his creativity with that Nene contract. Truly brilliant.

The league didn't allow the likely incentives with the Nene contract, so it's a wasted roster spot. There were also previous examples of teams using that loophole, so it wasn't really unprecedented.

Not saying he's a bad GM by any means. You could do far worse than Morey.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
manlisten wrote:

The league didn't allow the likely incentives with the Nene contract, so it's a wasted roster spot. There were also previous examples of teams using that loophole, so it wasn't really unprecedented.

Not saying he's a bad GM by any means. You could do far worse than Morey.

The Nene contract completely backfired and Morey should've known better. There's a reason no one else tried it because it clearly went against the spirit of the CBA, it wasn't the same loophole that was used previously. I doubt anyone here would be so lenient had Pelinka or Magic made the same mistake. Morey is a GM that will get your team's foot in the door and not much more. I think he'd be a great assistant GM.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject:

Lakers Were Creative with Yi Jianlian’s Contract

Quote:

In the case of Yi, his base salary pays just the minimum for a player with five years of experience ($1.1 million). In fact, his full $8 million salary is only guaranteed for $250,000.

The bulk of Yi’s contract is incentive-based. The most a team can pay a player in an unlikely incentive is 15 percent of the base salary. In Yi’s case, his entire salary, including the $6 million in bonuses, is considered likely by the NBA, opening the door for his uniquely-structured deal.

Additionally, teams cannot sign a player with date-based incentives, but the Lakers worked around that limitation by giving Yi bonuses based on number of games played.

If he plays in 20 games, he’ll receive a $2.3 million bonus. Then at 40 games, he’ll get another $2.3 million, and then again at 59.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
It's hilarious people criticize Morey for being a flawed GM when his approach to team building is literally the same as ours (acquire superstars, figure it out from there), but with some key (i.e. superior) differences.

1) much better at building at the margins, discovering diamonds in the rough. In Rob's short tenure, with the exception of maybe Caruso, he goes after strictly known entities, or worse, guys known for what they were in 2009 (cough Rondo)

2) goes after guys that actually fit a coherent philosophy, not just guys whose names we recognize or had chemistry with one particular player 5 years ago but drags the entire offense and defense down otherwise.

And all this without having the built in glamour of an LA Laker team. If AD and LeBron forced their way to the Rockets, I have no doubt he'd build a better team around tham Rob.

Would be hilarious if after 1 season Rob Lowe puts together a championship team while morey takes yet another el

Again, Rob had two generational talents fall into his lap. If he was the Rockets GM, he would not be delivering a title after one season. He'd have Rondo playing with Harden.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Heh, Knick fanbase abusing KD because he chose the Nets.

Also can someone tell KD to stop replying to losers on the internet?

https://i.redd.it/r9kfrbdfxcr31.jpg
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

If Kevin Durant isn’t the poster child for the sickness of social media I don’t know who is.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

KD would of died if he joined the Knicks.

His fall might of been even worse than Melo.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
KD would of died if he joined the Knicks.

His fall might of been even worse than Melo.

I also don’t think he could handle it. Might be best that he did join the Nets instead; gives him some of the NY market that he wants for his brand while he continues to work on building thicker skin.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
drae wrote:

If Kevin Durant isn’t the poster child for the sickness of social media I don’t know who is.

Antonio Brown would give him some competition.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

Watching a little preseason around the league, really like SGA. OKC did well to get the clippers to give him up.

Like Coby White. Kid can play and he has no fear.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Watching a little preseason around the league, really like SGA. OKC did well to get the clippers to give him up.

In 5 years people will look back and say OKC won the trade
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

If the Clippers win 1 championship, nobody will say that. Seeing as they may very well win more than win, I think calling OKC the eventual winners of that trade is far fetched.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

If the Clippers win 1 championship, nobody will say that. Seeing as they may very well win more than win, I think calling OKC the eventual winners of that trade is far fetched.

It's like calling the Pelicans the winner in the AD trade if Lonzo or Ingram become an All-Star.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Sounds a lot like what was said about the Dwight Howard/Steve Nash trades at the time.

It's possible that the Clippers could win a championship, but it's equally possible they could get bounced in the first or second round two years in a row and have one of their stars get disgruntled and split in free agency. Those unprotected picks end up in the lottery and suddenly they're the new Brooklyn Nets stuck in lottery purgatory for 7 years with no high draft picks to show for it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

No doubt. Clippers had to do it just like Lakers with AD.

I do think SGA will be top 3 PG within 5 years.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
2019 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

The likes of Steph, Dame and Kyrie will be aged out perhaps.

So he has to just beat out the likes of:

Trae
Ben
DLO
Ja
Fox
Lonzo
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
2019 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

It's like calling the Pelicans the winner in the AD trade if Lonzo or Ingram become an All-Star.

Or if AD bolts in free agency
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
2019 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Or if AD bolts in free agency

In the end, when the Lakers win the chip this year, the Clippers will also be winners. Stupid generation of participation awards.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
2019 wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

The likes of Steph, Dame and Kyrie will be aged out perhaps.

So he has to just beat out the likes of:

Trae
Ben
DLO
Ja
Fox
Lonzo

I’m going with Trae, SGA and Fox. For now...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

In the end, when the Lakers win the chip this year, the Clippers will also be winners. Stupid generation of participation awards.

Classic!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski on Andre Iguodala: “It’s the two LA teams. It’s the Lakers and it’s the Clippers. If there is a buyout at some point and if Memphis can’t trade him, that’s where that will come down to those two teams. Memphis is willing to hold down to him, and Iguodala is ok with sitting right now.”

Seems like Iguodala wants to be in LA. I wonder if that might chill a trade market while in the meantime he isn't being aggressive to Memphis' interests so as to engender good will in what may end up a buyout. In some ways, it could benefit the Lakers to have this take until December 15, which would allow them to potentially consolidate a couple pieces in trade while adding a roster spot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski on Andre Iguodala: “It’s the two LA teams. It’s the Lakers and it’s the Clippers. If there is a buyout at some point and if Memphis can’t trade him, that’s where that will come down to those two teams. Memphis is willing to hold down to him, and Iguodala is ok with sitting right now.”

Seems like Iguodala wants to be in LA. I wonder if that might chill a trade market while in the meantime he isn't being aggressive to Memphis' interests so as to engender good will in what may end up a buyout. In some ways, it could benefit the Lakers to have this take until December 15, which would allow them to potentially consolidate a couple pieces in trade while adding a roster spot.

man, he is such a perfect piece for our team. I'm not gonna lie, if he goes to Clips, will feel a little sick about that. Ballmer's $$$ and probably impermissible future promises about venture capital networking/help may be the deciding factor.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

if it is a buyout, then he would not care?
is there any scenario where the extra money from cousins' deal gives us an advantage since it is not prorated for the time he plays?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3725, 3726, 3727 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3726 of 8560
Jump to: