OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3727, 3728, 3729 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
This team needs youth, athleticism and energy. Outside of Davis where are we going to get that? Kuzma has to take a huge step imo.

Competing in the regular season is having players who play hard on both ends of the floor for 48 mins. We can’t afford to miss close outs, not get back on D. That is alll hustle and effort.

West is so powerful we have to play hard every game. That’s my main concern

💯

I always had concerns of our depth and while it's only 3 preseason games, it';s looking like our bench might be absolute crap.

Boogie is gone and that was a huge blow. Potential 15-18ppg gone.
No true SF on the roster.
No defensive young wings.
No high motor bench guys who's energy can change a game.
No playmakers outside Rondo.
Dwight can't jump

I like our starting 5 a lot if it's Bradley/Green/LeBron/AD/McGee but we're going to need Kuzma to be a 3rd star and ability to carry the bench.

Waiting for Kawhi really hurt us. No going after defensive wings might be the death of us.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
This team needs youth, athleticism and energy. Outside of Davis where are we going to get that? Kuzma has to take a huge step imo.

Competing in the regular season is having players who play hard on both ends of the floor for 48 mins. We can’t afford to miss close outs, not get back on D. That is alll hustle and effort.

Those things sound nice, but they don't win championships. The formula throughout the ages has been a couple all stars, with experienced complimentary pieces who know their roles. That happens to be the exact archetype of this roster. Think Pop's spurs, Kobe-Shaq, Kobe-Pau Lakers, Dubs recent run..
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Those things sound nice, but they don't win championships. The formula throughout the ages has been a couple all stars, with experienced complimentary pieces who know their roles. That happens to be the exact archetype of this roster. Think Pop's spurs, Kobe-Shaq, Kobe-Pau Lakers, Dubs recent run..

I agree but Lebron is in his 17th season... He doesn't have the ability to expend maximum energy like Kobe and Shaq did in there primes...Thats the difference...

Steph Klay and Draymond were all under 30 during there recent run...

And while Davis is only 26 he needs to stay healthy and show dominance offensively and show the ability to be a playmaker...Kobe wanted to dominate both ends of the floor...He wanted to guard the best player he wanted to shoot every shot... We need Davis to be primary offensive option and he has never shown that...He needs creators around him...

I do believe are team is set up to be successful but as I stated the regular season and playoffs are a different test...we need to get into the playoffs and im not kidding west is going to be very tough no off nights...You are kidding yourself if you dont think teams like pelicans, kings, spurs, mavericks will be competing for a playoff spot...

I claim we need more youth and energy because to keep up with these high speed up and down offensive teams that shoot a high volume of 3 we are going to struggle imo..

If we make it to playoffs I am very confident Because in a series I think we have all the pieces to match up against any team... Size, rebounding, closer, versatility. Regular season is just different and requires energy and health amongst other things to get through.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:

I guess that one could argue that this team is built for the playoffs when the game slows down and becomes more half court. But there are 82 games between now and then, who knows where we will be after trying to run with the younger teams in the league. Especially if we can’t consistently hit the 3, we are being dominated in that stat.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Is Cook/Caruso/KCP/Kuzma/AD a good enough youth unit to keep up with run and gun teams?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, our window with Lebron is probably 2 years (max 3)

Problem is, everyone is making their own superteam now and Lebron isn't the only one manipulating the NBA....

If success is championship or bust, chances are very low I would think during the 2 year window.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Not much to gather from the 2 brooklyn games. Coaching staff was clearly experimenting with starting lineups and we had Rondo on both of those games starting with LBJ. I hope that like everyone else, the coaches have noticed how bad an idea that is.

Both of our shooters are down with injuries not to mention Kuz so our preseason scoring and 3pt shooting is not really reflective of what it's gonna be like come the regular season.

The Danny Green off-dribble, off-screen 3s experiment should stop though. We used him just fine in the GSW game where he had a ton of open spot up 3s in the corner and we should stick to that.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

The formula throughout the ages has never been to build around a player going on 35 and in his 17th year.

Most of those teams were lead by stars in their prime (early to late 20s) or younger stars bursting onto the scene (Kobe, Parker, Kawhi, Klay).

You can also find experience and youth. No one is saying the Lakers should be signing players in their 2nd or 3rd year, but we also shouldn't be signing 5 players 30+ (Dudley, Howard, Rondo, McGee, Green). If we had just signed Green and McGee and then used the other 3 spots on younger players, it would have been a better roster.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
Honestly, our window with Lebron is probably 2 years (max 3)

Problem is, everyone is making their own superteam now and Lebron isn't the only one manipulating the NBA....

If success is championship or bust, chances are very low I would think during the 2 year window.

Yep
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I wish we could have signed a center that could step out and hit a 3 like a thomas Bryant or be in a position to draft a generational shot blocking talent like Mitchell Robinson
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

EXTREMELY weak in the backups for SF & PF...!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Wagner has been playing well with the Wizards.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Culver is playing great too. Hed be great addition to our team
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Zubac/Bryant/Wagner
Randle/Kuzma/Nance
Ingram/Bonga/Brown
D'lo
Lonzo/Clarkson

+ #4 2019: Culver, Garland, etc.

Those are all our draft picks since we first hit the lotto...Did I miss anyone?

Kinda crazy that of all those guys, we only have 1 left and all but 1 of those guys are in the NBA still.

This is not a post to chastise the LeBron/AD moves, but rather to point the depth we could and should have had had Magic not prematurely started just axing pieces to end up singing Lance, Rondo, Beasley, etc.

I know one thing... we've been pretty Stella at drafting.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Culver is playing great too. Hed be great addition to our team

Hunter has been looking solid as well.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Zubac/Bryant/Wagner
Randle/Kuzma/Nance
Ingram/Bonga/Brown
D'lo
Lonzo/Clarkson

Kinda crazy that of all those guys, we only have 1 left and all but 1 of those guys are in the NBA still.

This is not a post to chastise the LeBron/AD moves, but rather to point the depth we could and should have had had Magic not prematurely started just axing pieces to end up singing Lance, Rondo, Beasley, etc.

Drafting has been a real strength in recent years.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

There sure does seem to be a long list of players and coaches who are happy to no longer be employed by the Lakers.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
There sure does seem to be a long list of players and coaches who are happy to no longer be employed by the Lakers.

As long as most of those guys are players/coaches we no longer wanted, or were lukewarm about.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

That’s because they can’t handle the pressure of playing for the Lakers, we are special.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

That’s because they can’t handle the pressure of playing for the Lakers, we are special.

I know you're just kidding, but sadly there are people in our organization who would actually try to sell fans that version of the story.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Zubac/Bryant/Wagner
Randle/Kuzma/Nance
Ingram/Bonga/Brown
D'lo
Lonzo/Clarkson

Then we should be all hyped for THT.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
2019 wrote:
Zubac/Bryant/Wagner
Randle/Kuzma/Nance
Ingram/Bonga/Brown
D'lo
Lonzo/Clarkson

Then we should be all hyped for THT.

Forgot he existed--- haven't seen him play a single second yet.

Yeah to buy a pick in a summer they knew they were going to go heavy on singing guys to multi year deals, they must feel very strongly about him.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
trablos wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

The formula throughout the ages has never been to build around a player going on 35 and in his 17th year.

Most of those teams were lead by stars in their prime (early to late 20s) or younger stars bursting onto the scene (Kobe, Parker, Kawhi, Klay).

You can also find experience and youth. No one is saying the Lakers should be signing players in their 2nd or 3rd year, but we also shouldn't be signing 5 players 30+ (Dudley, Howard, Rondo, McGee, Green). If we had just signed Green and McGee and then used the other 3 spots on younger players, it would have been a better roster.

Were the ages of the starters for the 1971/72 World Champion Los Angeles Lakers. 37-year old Baylor retired a couple of weeks into the season, but 35 year old Wilt and 33 year old West were the stars. 31 year old Leroy Ellis and 30 year old Flynn Robinson were big contributors, too.

Yes, it is rare to get that kind of production from older players, but LeBron IS rare, himself.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
EXTREMELY weak in the backups for SF & PF...!

There is only one backup SF who may be Kuzma.
There is only one backup PF who may be Dudley.
And neither have played yet.

And 8 guards for two positions so four deep. Huge waste of resources.

Eventually it will have to be fixed.
Getting Howard may turn out to be a great find to fill a needed hole.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

lol apparently bonga started in their friday game wizards...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3727, 3728, 3729 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3728 of 8560
Jump to: