OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3871, 3872, 3873 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
drae wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
The Clippers are obviously a dangerous opponent for anyone. Saying otherwise is just kidding ourselves. I hate them with every fiber of my being, but we have to be realistic. Their offensive firepower is insane.

We definitely saw insane offensive firepower during the Bucks/Clippers match.

Don't believe it was from the Clippers though

You can't overrate one game. Obviously, the Bucks are a problem for anyone too. Just like we are for anyone. Anytime you have four 19 PPG scorers and the makings of a good perimeter defense in the playoffs, you're going to be a problem in a best-of-7 series.

A bunch of isolation scorers with no playmaker isn't a team to be feared offense wise. Our offense is rated higher, so is the Bucks, so is the Mavericks. The Clippers were supposed to have a fearsome defense with a decent offense but so far their defense has been pretty overrated also.

The Clippers need a playmaker to unlock their offense or they're not winning anything this year. They probably won't even get out of the West.

The Clippers don't have a playmaker? Their defense isn't good?

We're like a hair above them in defensive rating: https://i.ibb.co/fS7m8b9/Screen-Shot-2019-12-10-at-12-09-22-AM.png

and that rating doesn't know PG has been out half the season.

Their offense has been better with PG back has it? I guess that's why when they played the Bucks without PG they lost by only a few.

And no they don't have a playmaker, which is why after the Bucks game the Clipper subreddit contained many crying "we need a (bleep) playmaker"

And I never said their defense wasn't good, I said it's overrated. Which it is.

Well i can't explain why reddit posters are crying, but they have 3 guys who are elite at creating for themselves and others. Maybe they're morons? And i said their DEFENSIVE rating didn't know PG has been out half the season. But fwiw, their offensive rating does't know that either, and their O rating isn't far behind ours either. I strongly doubt Paul George makes their offense worse.

When the Lakers get pasted at home by the Mavs, it's just "one of those games." But losing to possibly the best team in the NBA on the road? That just sums up everything about them. If you think the Clippers D is overrated, what do you think of ours?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Well i can't explain why reddit posters are crying, but they have 3 guys who are elite at creating for themselves and others.

They don't. They have 3 guys good at creating for themselves, and 1 guy who's okay at creating for others. Which annoys Clipper fans because they believe it gives Kawhi too much work to do during the regular season.

This is why the Clippers play is a lot of iso.

pjiddy wrote:

Maybe they're morons? And i said their DEFENSIVE rating didn't know PG has been out half the season. But fwiw, their offensive rating does't know that either, and their O rating isn't far behind ours either. I strongly doubt Paul George makes their offense worse.

PG improves their offensive rating a couple of points.

What a magical inclusion.

pjiddy wrote:

When the Lakers get pasted at home by the Mavs, it's just "one of those games." But losing to possibly the best team in the NBA on the road? That just sums up everything about them. If you think the Clippers D is overrated, what do you think of ours?

You mean going down by more than 40 against the Bucks and not looking like being able to contain their best player at all?

Cause for concern.

The Clippers D had people in the media asking "how would you score on them". Apparently Giannis finds it really easy. In comparison our defense had people saying "Danny's our only perimeter defender" so ours is underrated.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject:

^
Drae, you're putting far too much emphasis on the result of one game. The Clippers are going to be a very tough out in a 7-game series. The Clippers have 3 premier scorers at their disposal in the 4th quarter, pretty good complementary 3-point shooters, and Harrell has been one of the best bigs in the game at protecting the rim (stats bear that out, per Cranjis), in addition to his efficient scoring. If healthy, Kawhi is going to play more minutes in the playoffs and will turn it up defensively. They are going to be a problem, and that's why Vegas has us and them tied at +260 as the current title favorite. The Bucks are +500, and nobody else is closer than +1000 (76ers).

And "needing a playmaker" is overrated, and I say that for the Lakers, too. LeBron is going to be playing close to 40 minutes a night in the playoffs, and the ball will be in his hands most of the time. If Rondo is playing like he was during this recent stretch, he can take a little bit of pressure off of him, but it's going to be the LeBron show, for the most part. As it should be. The Clippers are going to have the ball in Kawhi's hands a lot in crunch time, and Lou Williams can certainly handle the ball and create, and I haven't even mentioned PG yet. The Clippers are (unfortunately) going to be a problem in the playoffs if they stay healthy. Doesn't mean they will beat us, of course, but I'm expecting a real battle if we face them.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:

You mean going down by more than 40 against the Bucks and not looking like being able to contain their best player at all?

Cause for concern.

The Clippers D had people in the media asking "how would you score on them". Apparently Giannis finds it really easy. In comparison our defense had people saying "Danny's our only perimeter defender" so ours is underrated.

We got totally outplayed by a far lesser team at home (the Mavs). Did that sum up all our weaknesses or was that just one of those games? And we haven't played the Bucks yet, so maybe we shouldn't rush to judgement on how easily containable they should be.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Drae, you're putting far too much emphasis on the result of one game. The Clippers are going to be a very tough out in a 7-game series. The Clippers have 3 premier scorers at their disposal in the 4th quarter, pretty good complementary 3-point shooters, and Harrell has been one of the best bigs in the game at protecting the rim (stats bear that out, per Cranjis), in addition to his efficient scoring. If healthy, Kawhi is going to play more minutes in the playoffs and will turn it up defensively. They are going to be a problem, and that's why Vegas has us and them tied at +260 as the current title favorite. The Bucks are +500, and nobody else is closer than +1000 (76ers).

And "needing a playmaker" is overrated, and I say that for the Lakers, too. LeBron is going to be playing close to 40 minutes a night in the playoffs, and the ball will be in his hands most of the time. If Rondo is playing like he was during this recent stretch, he can take a little bit of pressure off of him, but it's going to be the LeBron show, for the most part. As it should be. The Clippers are going to have the ball in Kawhi's hands a lot in crunch time, and Lou Williams can certainly handle the ball and create, and I haven't even mentioned PG yet. The Clippers are (unfortunately) going to be a problem in the playoffs if they stay healthy. Doesn't mean they will beat us, of course, but I'm expecting a real battle if we face them.

During a seven game series Kawhi won't be able to rest his knee. During the regular season he can get all the rest he wants but come playoff time the stress will be significant. He lasted till the ECF's last year till he started limping … pretty significantly actually. And his knee seems worse right now than this time last year.

Harrell is a defensive liability, he is pretty bad at defending the rim. Probably why Zubac starts over him.

The Clippers offense right now is a work in progress. Doc Rivers himself said so far it's been fools gold, that they've been relying on purely talent. Which shows in their play like I said it's mostly iso. Lou Williams, Paul George, and Kawhi sound pretty fearsome on the court at the same time but they take touches away from each other, as opposed to Lebron -> AD. The Clippers need an offensive system because even Doc is not happy with the way Kawhi and PG have not fit into the offense. And it looks like they haven't begun to implement one.

The Lakers want a playmaker because if Rondo becomes injured we have no one. The Clippers want a playmaker to initiate an offense and prevent work piling up on Kawhi.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:

Cause for concern.

We got totally outplayed by a far lesser team at home (the Mavs). Did that sum up all our weaknesses or was that just one of those games? And we haven't played the Bucks yet, so maybe we shouldn't rush to judgement on how easily containable they should be.

Possibly. In the first game against the Mavs our point of attack defender was Bradley, we missed him in the second game. It may point to how valuable AB is.

The Clippers have no rim protection to protect against Giannis and nobody who can contain Giannis one on one. We have great rim protection and AD. We match up against the Bucks better but we'll see
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

During a seven game series Kawhi won't be able to rest his knee. During the regular season he can get all the rest he wants but come playoff time the stress will be significant. He lasted till the ECF's last year till he started limping … pretty significantly actually. And his knee seems worse right now than this time last year.

Harrell is a defensive liability, he is pretty bad at defending the rim. Probably why Zubac starts over him.

The Clippers offense right now is a work in progress. Doc Rivers himself said so far it's been fools gold, that they've been relying on purely talent. Which shows in their play like I said it's mostly iso. Lou Williams, Paul George, and Kawhi sound pretty fearsome on the court at the same time but they take touches away from each other, as opposed to Lebron -> AD. The Clippers need an offensive system because even Doc is not happy with the way Kawhi and PG have not fit into the offense. And it looks like they haven't begun to implement one.

The Lakers want a playmaker because if Rondo becomes injured we have no one. The Clippers want a playmaker to initiate an offense and prevent work piling up on Kawhi.

I will admit that my previous statement about Cranjis' rim stats was erroneous; those were OFFENSIVE rim gravity stats, not defensive, as I thought they were when I first looked. (Harrell is 2nd behind Giannis in that metric, per Cranjis.)

Regardless, they are scary on offense, and will likely improve on defense. They are 11-3 with PG, and Kawhi has obviously sat for a few games already. I mean, look, if he's a shell of himself in the playoffs, sure, they are going to have a tough time. But you saw what he did last year, and they are clearly load managing him in an effort to try to save his best for last. We'll see what happens, and I really like this Laker team, but they are a very dangerous opponent to contend with.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:

Cause for concern.

Possibly. In the first game against the Mavs our point of attack defender was Bradley, we missed him in the second game. It may point to how valuable AB is.

The Clippers have no rim protection to protect against Giannis and nobody who can contain Giannis one on one. We have great rim protection and AD. We match up against the Bucks better but we'll see

That is true, but our weakness might be big scoring wings. Our three losses have come against three of the best (Kawhi, Siakam, Luka). And we needed a buzzer beater to send it to OT against the Mavs the first time and it might have helped that Luka got a concussion.

And i predict there's gonna be a couple rim protectors on the buyout market (Derrick Favors, Tristan Thompson, Mahinmi, Biyombo are all strong possibilities). There will be less so of wing defenders. We're praying a 36 year old Iggy makes the buyout market.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I will admit that my previous statement about Cranjis' rim stats was erroneous; those were OFFENSIVE rim gravity stats, not defensive, as I thought they were when I first looked. (Harrell is 2nd behind Giannis in that metric, per Cranjis.)

There were some stats that Cranjis posted that made it look like the interior defense of the Clippers wasn't too bad. But as they later admitted in the twitter thread they were comparing those stats to Javale, who was a part of a Laker team that was pretty much tanking for half a year, and that the the perimeter defenders of the Clippers made it easier for Harrell to do his job. I think stats like that are perfect when comparing within the same team and more problematic across teams.

And it showed that Zubac was a better rim defender. Now if Zubac, who is a bit slow and clumsy, is a better rim defender than Harrell than that brings into question the stats when Cranjis tried to compare Harrell's rim protection to AD.

I mean if your stats have Harrell and AD as comparable rim defenders there's something wrong with the stats

The disrespect our team got pre-season was unreal

Anyway the thread is here if you want to read it - https://twitter.com/PaulHeadleyNBA/status/1178924849277702144

Rim-protection last season.

Zubac- 4.7 attempts defended, opponents shot 51.8%
Harrell- 4.6 attempts, 56.3%

JaVale- 5.7 attempts, 52.1%
AD- 5.7 attempts, shot 63.9% (season before he was at 53.9%).

Not sure how much that superior inside D for the Lakers really is an advantage.

pjiddy wrote:
There will be less so of wing defenders. We're praying a 36 year old Iggy makes the buyout market.

#FREEIGGY
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
drae wrote:

Cause for concern.

That is true, but our weakness might be big scoring wings. Our three losses have come against three of the best (Kawhi, Siakam, Luka). And we needed a buzzer beater to send it to OT against the Mavs the first time and it might have helped that Luka got a concussion.

And i predict there's gonna be a couple rim protectors on the buyout market (Derrick Favors, Tristan Thompson, Mahinmi, Biyombo are all strong possibilities). There will be less so of wing defenders. We're praying a 36 year old Iggy makes the buyout market.

Yeah, I expect the Clippers to get a rim protector on the buyout market.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject:

Luka only went off on us in the third when we couldn't buy a bucket, that fueled the Mavs in transition and got them into early offense, where he excelled.

Siakam had a volume scoring game against us, Doncic got his averages. Kawhi did play better than average with 30, but had six turnovers to five assists. On the year, his turnovers are up more than his assists, if you consider his A:TO ratio.

His higher AST% from last year is fool's gold, it just means his teammates are handing out fewer assists during his minutes than on his previous teams.

Wings haven't been killing us...yet.

Last edited by Laker_Dynasty_01 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Luka only went off on us in the third when we couldn't buy a bucket, that fueled the Mavs in transition and got them into early offense, where he excelled.

Siakam had a volume scoring game against us, Doncic got his averages. Kawhi did play better than average with 30, but had six turnovers to five assists.

Toronto outscored us 32-8 in transition also. I missed that game so I have no idea what happened but that's a weird stat for us
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Siakam had a volume scoring game against us, Doncic got his averages. Kawhi did play better than average with 30, but had six turnovers to five assists. On the year, his turnovers are up more than his assists, if you consider his A:TO ratio.

His higher AST% from last year is fool's gold, it just means his teammates are handing out fewer assists during his minutes than on his previous teams.

Disagree it's fool's gold. He's already one of the best PnR players in the league at 20 years old and he's unusually good at finding open guys on the perimeter off his drives to the basket. He makes passes maybe only 5 players ever could make. And part of that comes from all the gravity he creates.

You can extend that to guys like Kawhi and Siakam (not quite on the level of Kawhi and Siakam, but enough that he gave us problems). It's not just their own stats, it's the gravity they create and open looks it creates for others.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Disagree it's fool's gold. He's already one of the best PnR players in the league at 20 years old and he's unusually good at finding open guys on the perimeter off his drives to the basket. He makes passes maybe only 5 players ever could make. And part of that comes from all the gravity he creates.

You can extend that to guys like Kawhi and Siakam. It's not just their own stats, it's the gravity they create and open looks it creates for others.

That part about AST% was about Kawhi, his Clippers teammates are getting fewer assists while he's on the floor compared to the Raptors last year. Doncic is an exceptional playmaker and passer, wasn't knocking him.

Kawhi, when he is drawing defenders, isn't always handling them well. His turnovers are up, in fewer minutes. He isn't playing as well off the ball, forcing PG into that role.

Also, their four best players have played just 64 minutes together in 9 games. Doc knows it only works in small doses.

Siakam still has improving to do offensively, definitely not the scorer/playmaker that Doncic/Kawhi are. But he's more of a PF.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Siakam had a volume scoring game against us, Doncic got his averages. Kawhi did play better than average with 30, but had six turnovers to five assists.

Toronto outscored us 32-8 in transition also. I missed that game so I have no idea what happened but that's a weird stat for us

One of two games I missed as well, only caught some parts where Boucher was killing us. Siakam seems to have been guarded by AD, which may explain the fastbreak advantage (when you consider our bad shooting night).
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

If Iguodala is traded to some other team:

(A) Trade Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels to Memphis for Josh Jackson.

or

(B) Sign Jonathan Simmons
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

or

I like but Josh Jackson is so bad one of them should be enough.
Don't know if it works salary wise
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

We should try getting Dray Green while the Warriors are a mess,
Not sure what kind of package we can put together to make salaries work Green can guard guys like Harden/Kawhi/PG/Luka. we should try getting him before the Warriors become good again and he increases his value
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

or

Adding to his long list of questionable behavior, Josh Jackson just got suspended by his g-league team. We really don't need this headcase in our organization.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

or

Adding to his long list of questionable behavior, Josh Jackson just got suspended by his g-league team. We really don't need this headcase in our organization.

After Howard's reclamation, I'm willing to believe in talented guys with one-year deals and a whole lot to prove ... especially if the cost is only Cook amd Daniels, two guys the team doesn't really need.

Avery Bradley, the Lakers' starting two-guard is currently hurt and not playing, yet Cook and Daniels are barely getting minutes. That tells you how much they're valued on this team.

I hate to send both of them, but you need both for salary, and I think Cousins as a cheerleader holds more value than Cook and Daniels on the court.

Jackson becomes my 11th or 12th man (with Dudley) and learns from a team of vets how to be a man.

Play it safe all you want, but championship teams are built with rolls of the dice. Howard has shown us how wrong our perceptions can be. Dennis Rodman was given away by the San Antonio Spurs for Will Perdue because he was thought to be a useless headcase.

I believe this team has the infrastructure in place to support a guy like Josh Jackson. I especially like the potential relationship I foresee him forming with Rondo.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

Have there been 22 year old reclamation projects in the past? I would think they would usually have to be older and near rock bottom before they repent.
Gandalf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

We don't need punks on this team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Have there been 22 year old reclamation projects in the past? I would think they would usually have to be older and near rock bottom before they repent.

In a year like this, when it's so championship or bust and our chemistry is off the charts, you don't make a move for someone like JJ.

Pesci just wants to make a trade for the sake of making one. Memphis, a lottery team who can use all the help they can get is not calling him up for a reason.

What are the difference between THT's numbers and JJ's numbers anyway?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

Having multiple vets make all the difference.

Again, the infrastructure is in place to support a guy like Jackson.

The Patriots have been doing it for years (Moss, Dillon, Brown, Bennet). It's one of the advantages of having a veteran squad -- you can take flyers on talented guys who have had problems.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
We should try getting Dray Green while the Warriors are a mess,
Not sure what kind of package we can put together to make salaries work Green can guard guys like Harden/Kawhi/PG/Luka. we should try getting him before the Warriors become good again and he increases his value

Lol about Warriors being a mess. If anything, they are messing with the league. They have DLo, a very valuable trade asset ( Minnesota need someone like him to organize their offense and run pick and roll with Towns).

Windows is not quite close yet. Warriors pretty much set themselves for next year and whatever comes after next. They will keep their pick, another valuable asset. They also have 17 million trade exception they can use to pick up some pieces. We will see if they are still relevant comes playoff next year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3871, 3872, 3873 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3872 of 8560
Jump to: