OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5969, 5970, 5971 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I'm not. In fact, the exact opposite is true. I'm responding to someone putting him in the same hopper as Lebron and Davis. If Drummond bounces back and plays at an all-star level again, that would be great. But I'm not going to assume that this will happen.

The guy you’re talking to never said anything about drummond playing at an all star level. He said drummond is a starter, which vogel already confirmed. I think you’re the one putting unrealistic expectations on drum

I didn’t say that, either. And I definitely don’t think you understand what I’m responding to.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

We can't beat Brooklyn unless we dominate the boards. And Drummond can help us do that.
I do think he'll clog things up in the paint for our offense. But LBJ's shooting percentages are up this year across the board, including outside the paint. His % of FGs being assisted is up to. So our offense could still be good enough even with Drummond clogging the paint.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
You say Drummond was having a bad year yet his line is... 17/13/1blk/1.5stl on 47% shooting. Sure the shooting percentage is down a few points but that was also as the #1 option on a horrible team. He now will be sharing the front court with 2 of the 5 players in the entire NBA as the likely 4th option.. I don't think it's very crazy to say we'll see that percentage go back up some.

I also don't see how it wont be a good fit? I could understand I guess if you're ceiling is him playing at an all star level but that's setting yourself up for disappointment. He probably wont get to that level especially with so little time with the team but he'll absolutely be at worst a solid fit. Teams also didn't trade for him for more reasons then just simply the amount of money he made.. He is a free agent this off season so obviously unless he was willing to sign an extension for sure nobody was going to give 30 million in salary Cleveland wanted to get him for half a season.

We got one of if not the best rebounder in the last 20-30 years on a minimum deal to pair next to AD and Lebron. That's a massive win no matter which way you try to spin it.

That may turn out to be true. I hope so. If your expectations are realized, we’ll be tough to beat. But championships aren’t won on paper or based on expectations. Back before we signed him, there were people who posted some disturbing analyses of his play with the Cavs. I wasn’t too worried about it, because at a minimum he should be an upgrade over Gasol. But when I see people tossing him in the same hopper as Lebron and Davis, I’m going to wait and see.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We can't beat Brooklyn unless we dominate the boards. And Drummond can help us do that.
I do think he'll clog things up in the paint for our offense. But LBJ's shooting percentages are up this year across the board, including outside the paint. His % of FGs being assisted is up to. So our offense could still be good enough even with Drummond clogging the paint.

First things first. Drummond’s immediate value comes from matchups with Gobert and Jokic. I’m less concerned about those matchups than I was when we were limited to Gasol and Harrell.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

First things first. Drummond’s immediate value comes from matchups with Gobert and Jokic. I’m less concerned about those matchups than I was when we were limited to Gasol and Harrell.

More options are better than less. If he can defend guards on switches that'll be a big lift. Gasol doesn't have the footspeed and Harrell actually has no excuse for being bad at that.
I expect to see alot of AD at the 5 if we run into Utah. Have to drag Gobert's elite help defense out of the paint.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
hype wrote:
You say Drummond was having a bad year yet his line is... 17/13/1blk/1.5stl on 47% shooting. Sure the shooting percentage is down a few points but that was also as the #1 option on a horrible team. He now will be sharing the front court with 2 of the 5 players in the entire NBA as the likely 4th option.. I don't think it's very crazy to say we'll see that percentage go back up some.

I also don't see how it wont be a good fit? I could understand I guess if you're ceiling is him playing at an all star level but that's setting yourself up for disappointment. He probably wont get to that level especially with so little time with the team but he'll absolutely be at worst a solid fit. Teams also didn't trade for him for more reasons then just simply the amount of money he made.. He is a free agent this off season so obviously unless he was willing to sign an extension for sure nobody was going to give 30 million in salary Cleveland wanted to get him for half a season.

We got one of if not the best rebounder in the last 20-30 years on a minimum deal to pair next to AD and Lebron. That's a massive win no matter which way you try to spin it.

That may turn out to be true. I hope so. If your expectations are realized, we’ll be tough to beat. But championships aren’t won on paper or based on expectations. Back before we signed him, there were people who posted some disturbing analyses of his play with the Cavs. I wasn’t too worried about it, because at a minimum he should be an upgrade over Gasol. But when I see people tossing him in the same hopper as Lebron and Davis, I’m going to wait and see.

I agree 100% he shouldn't be mentioned among those two as far as his importance or impact and I do not expect him to be all star caliber either at all. Just a really solid role player who drops down to the 4th option here. Sounds like we pretty much agree for the most part after going back and reading your replies a bit closer. My expectations aren't super high, I just see him as a bit more of an improved Center over Dwight which is all we really need (even though there best strengths are a bit different).

As far as the analysis goes though I seen people throwing up stats that made him look elite as well which I am not expecting. Just somewhere in the middle hopefully. I don't see him being at his worst and I don't expect him returning to all star form either. Waiting and seeing is the smart approach though considering he's never played with a single legitimately great player in his entire career let alone two at once so it's all new territory.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Marc did decent vs Jokic. I would trust Marc more vs guys like Jokic/Embiid, but yea it's good to have the options. As for Gobert I think our best bet is starting AD at center and force Gobert to have to guard him out in the perimeter.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject:

why didn't we go after Christian wood? Dude seems to rebound well and Shooting well from 3.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
why didn't we go after Christian wood? Dude seems to rebound well and Shooting well from 3.

18mil reasons...
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

18mil reasons...

I see.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
I agree 100% he shouldn't be mentioned among those two as far as his importance or impact and I do not expect him to be all star caliber either at all. Just a really solid role player who drops down to the 4th option here. Sounds like we pretty much agree for the most part after going back and reading your replies a bit closer. My expectations aren't super high, I just see him as a bit more of an improved Center over Dwight which is all we really need (even though there best strengths are a bit different).

As far as the analysis goes though I seen people throwing up stats that made him look elite as well which I am not expecting. Just somewhere in the middle hopefully. I don't see him being at his worst and I don't expect him returning to all star form either. Waiting and seeing is the smart approach though considering he's never played with a single legitimately great player in his entire career let alone two at once so it's all new territory.

I could live with him just being at Dwight's level. As you say, their strengths are different, but Gasol didn't fill the gap left by Dwight's departure. If Harrell's arrival lights a fire under Gasol, that's good, too. Anything that Harrell provides beyond that is just gravy. I like gravy.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I'm not. In fact, the exact opposite is true. I'm responding to someone putting him in the same hopper as Lebron and Davis. If Drummond bounces back and plays at an all-star level again, that would be great. But I'm not going to assume that this will happen.

The guy you’re talking to never said anything about drummond playing at an all star level. He said drummond is a starter, which vogel already confirmed. I think you’re the one putting unrealistic expectations on drum

I didn’t say that, either. And I definitely don’t think you understand what I’m responding to.

Yes you did bro, come on
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject:

It’s not difficult to be hyped by the drummond addition. After all, ad2 is a 2-time all-star and has good counting stats to back those achievements. Plus considering how AD and bron can cover for his weaknesses in offense and decision makin, i totally get how people here are optimistic. We should definitely wait and see to get a better idea on the fit, but some fanboyism is expected on a laker board.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yes you did bro, come on

I don't have time for message board warriors. Happy trails.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yes you did bro, come on

I don't have time for message board warriors. Happy trails.

Yeah to you as well. Sorry you cant handle it when your own words are put against you. Better keep your arguments straight next time. 👍🏻
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject:

From shams:
Quote:
The Orlando Magic are planning to waive center Khem Birch in order to give him an opportunity to play more, with the Toronto Raptors as his likely landing spot, sources tell me and @JoshuaBRobbins. Birch is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
From shams:
Quote:
The Orlando Magic are planning to waive center Khem Birch in order to give him an opportunity to play more, with the Toronto Raptors as his likely landing spot, sources tell me and @JoshuaBRobbins. Birch is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Orlando starting to look like the G-League State Warriors.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We can't beat Brooklyn unless we dominate the boards.And Drummond can help us do that.

The Nets will play 5-out and force Drummond to defend away from the basket.

If a mediocre offensive team with non-shooting stars in Butler and Adebayo could force Howard off the floor in last year's Finals, how is a lineup of Kyrie/Harden/Harris/KD/Griffin not going to expose Drummond on every possession?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
From shams:
Quote:

How much cap room do they have this summer? I would go after DeRozan if I was ORL.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
From shams:
Quote:

How much cap room do they have this summer? I would go after DeRozan if I was ORL.

And you would get fired as Orlando GM lickety split.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
It’s not difficult to be hyped by the drummond addition. After all, ad2 is a 2-time all-star and has good counting stats to back those achievements. Plus considering how AD and bron can cover for his weaknesses in offense and decision makin, i totally get how people here are optimistic. We should definitely wait and see to get a better idea on the fit, but some fanboyism is expected on a laker board.

To be fair fanboyism is on every NBA team forum board. I follow a number of them to get info on their players and for entertainment. That's what being a fan is right?
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:
We can't beat Brooklyn unless we dominate the boards.And Drummond can help us do that.

The Nets will play 5-out and force Drummond to defend away from the basket.

If a mediocre offensive team with non-shooting stars in Butler and Adebayo could force Howard off the floor in last year's Finals, how is a lineup of Kyrie/Harden/Harris/KD/Griffin not going to expose Drummond on every possession?

Bro, AD2 is a strong perimeter defender—I think you’ll be surprised. Im not saying he can handle kyrie or harden, but closing out on harris or griffin especially in short bursts wouldn’t be a problem for him.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
lurklurk wrote:

To be fair fanboyism is on every NBA team forum board. I follow a number of them to get info on their players and for entertainment. That's what being a fan is right?

Some level of hype should definitely be tolerated and the addition of ad2 is a perfect example of that. I dont mind seeing people here putting bron-ad-ad2 in the best big3 conversation. I did not join the conversation but i get how the fans are excited. Some guys here tho are negative nancys as usual, even arguing that AD2 is a starter-level player.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

Was hoping Magic would waive Otto Porter Jr lol
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Was hoping Magic would waive Otto Porter Jr lol

Otto Porter Jr is a good player why would the Magic waive him? They just had a fire sale by basically dumping Gordon/Fournier/Vucevic they are in no rush to give up on a player who can help them next year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5969, 5970, 5971 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5970 of 8560
Jump to: