OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 847, 848, 849 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
drae wrote:

All Star free agents are available this summer. Ringchasers will be available this summer. Paul George made his mind up before Lebron signed.

You are trying to form a conclusion before any evidence has come in. Cousins, for example, wanted to sign. Trades are not evidence of ringchasers willing or not willing to sign because you are dealing with organizations and not players.

I thought the Godfather offer was compelling evidence that either Klutch had insisted on AD above all else... or that no one wanted to come.

If someone did want to come and we still made that offer... then I've severely lost faith in management's judgment. If no one wants to come... then I'm attributing the lack of interest to Klutch and LBJ's presence. Which is why I said what thought about PG...

Maybe you thought it was okay to consider offering 7 to 10 assets... when other elite FAs had interest. My take was that the severe overpay was an indication of either Klutch's bias... or lack of options.

I agree all of my thoughts are purely hypothetical... and I hope I'm wrong and we sign a free agent and add it to the core... then clear one or more of the pieces for AD in 2020. But after seeing the botched deals that rid us of Zu and Svi... I hold little hope that we will be making brilliant moves with the rest of our assets.

I think most likely we will clean house completely and roll with LBJ and AD.

Maybe somehow it works... but looking at who we've acquired so far, you'll have to excuse me for being somewhat skeptical.

While there may be a decent chance of a FA coming here in the off season, anything can happen. Like Durant telling his teammates at Oklahoma he'd see them next season and the following week heading to GSW. While the Lakers have a decent chance to pick someone up in FA, a bird in the hand is always worth more. ALWAYS. Because nobody knows what Durant is going to do, not even his teammates (reference Draymond's outburst). Nobody knows what Kawhi is going to do. And Kyrie may or may not be coming, but he's a weird one also.

Also it was to show AD how much the Lakers value him. PG seems to resent the idea the Lakers never traded for him when they had the chance, going by his reports to the media. Well, AD now knows the Lakers did try and trade for him and he also knows how much they value him.

Yeah, although I usually like your posts drae... in this instance... I just think the price was too high.

I also don't think alienating your team for one player... even AD was worth it.

But we'll see what happens. I hope it comes out okay.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
drae wrote:

All Star free agents are available this summer. Ringchasers will be available this summer. Paul George made his mind up before Lebron signed.

You are trying to form a conclusion before any evidence has come in. Cousins, for example, wanted to sign. Trades are not evidence of ringchasers willing or not willing to sign because you are dealing with organizations and not players.

I thought the Godfather offer was compelling evidence that either Klutch had insisted on AD above all else... or that no one wanted to come.

If someone did want to come and we still made that offer... then I've severely lost faith in management's judgment. If no one wants to come... then I'm attributing the lack of interest to Klutch and LBJ's presence. Which is why I said what thought about PG...

Maybe you thought it was okay to consider offering 7 to 10 assets... when other elite FAs had interest. My take was that the severe overpay was an indication of either Klutch's bias... or lack of options.

I agree all of my thoughts are purely hypothetical... and I hope I'm wrong and we sign a free agent and add it to the core... then clear one or more of the pieces for AD in 2020. But after seeing the botched deals that rid us of Zu and Svi... I hold little hope that we will be making brilliant moves with the rest of our assets.

I think most likely we will clean house completely and roll with LBJ and AD.

Maybe somehow it works... but looking at who we've acquired so far, you'll have to excuse me for being somewhat skeptical.

While there may be a decent chance of a FA coming here in the off season, anything can happen. Like Durant telling his teammates at Oklahoma he'd see them next season and the following week heading to GSW. While the Lakers have a decent chance to pick someone up in FA, a bird in the hand is always worth more. ALWAYS. Because nobody knows what Durant is going to do, not even his teammates (reference Draymond's outburst). Nobody knows what Kawhi is going to do. And Kyrie may or may not be coming, but he's a weird one also.

Also it was to show AD how much the Lakers value him. PG seems to resent the idea the Lakers never traded for him when they had the chance, going by his reports to the media. Well, AD now knows the Lakers did try and trade for him and he also knows how much they value him.

Yeah, although I usually like your posts drae... in this instance... I just think the price was too high.

I also don't think alienating your team for one player... even AD was worth it.

But we'll see what happens. I hope it comes out okay.

The price is and was too high, they have alienated their team for one player (AD), the players are all pissed as hell, going into win-now mode before our young guys were ready may have been a mistake but Magic made some grand promises he needed to keep ("I'll get a superstar within two years or resign").

Anthony Irwin was just on Twitter blasting Magic and Lebron (for being so callous talking about trades), Pelinka (for being lousy at negotiations), Luke (for being lousy as a coach), the whole FO etc etc.

But that being said, I can't agree that Lebron can't attract FA's until we see what happens this summer.

That game against the 76ers was dispiriting as hell.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:
I'm just sayin PG13 is a leading candidate to win MVP and DPOY

I doubt LeBron even gets first team all NBA and it's only gonna get worse from here.

We didn't trade for him, or we did but didn't go all in. He was traded to OKC and he chose to stay during his FA.

There's not much you can in that position, crying over spilled milk.

Because of how we treated his agents clients in DLO and Randle, PG didn't even want a meeting with us.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
PengShow wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:

I doubt LeBron even gets first team all NBA and it's only gonna get worse from here.

We didn't trade for him, or we did but didn't go all in. He was traded to OKC and he chose to stay during his FA.

Because of how we treated his agents clients in DLO and Randle, PG didn't even want a meeting with us.

Forgot about Mintz. I hate him so damn much
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
MJST wrote:
I wouldn't want a locker room with Jimmy Butler and LeBron James at the same time.

You're asking for trouble.

Who would you want as a realistic target, then?

Klay

How is he a realistic target? If anything he's the most likeliest (b/w he and KD) to retire a Warrior.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:
Can't believe we prioritized signing an old LeBron over Paul George.

Paul George didn't want to come after his bromance with Westbrook.

Yup. He was the one clamoring about joining the Lakers and when he had the chance to do so (imagine how much more attention he'd get if he played like he is now on the Lakers) he declined. He didn't even meet with Magic.

So no, PG13 prioritized staying with WB. It was his choice.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:

Would love to see some receipts where you said (prior to this summer) that we should reject LBJ (who was averaging 34/9/9 in the playoffs) to sign PG13 (who just flamed out against the Jazz).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

Folks, don't waver game to game.

Everyone was riding high after that great Celts win, and we get predictably beat on a Sunday afternoon game by a loaded 76ers team and now we are back to bottom of the barrel?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PengShow wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:

Don't forget we never had a chance to trade for him in 2017. Pacers owner accused us of tampering and refused to even talk to us (I love - maybe not in this case - how history always repeats itself).
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

I like the idea of signing Markieff if he's healthy..but if not, after Embid's assault on us yesterday...anyone think Gortat would be a decent signing? Just curious since it seems like McGee gets overwhelmed by physical centers and Chandler is just too old.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

Knicks have to know they got KD coming or they will be the laughing stock for this:

Quote:
Nobody is being particularly subtle these days in the NBA. The Los Angeles Lakers are going hard after Anthony Davis, LeBron James is going hard after … everyone. And now, the New York Knicks are going after Kevin Durant.

I think.

In a recent message to season ticket holders, the Knicks included imagery that was highly selective. Several New York fans posted photos of the message, which asked folks to renew their tickets with a photo of Mitchell Robinson being guarded by Durant.

The Knicks have apparently already taken down the photo, but the fact remains that this appears to be how business is being done in today’s NBA.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/02/11/the-knicks-used-a-picture-of-kevin-durant-in-ticket-renewal-messaging/
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
I like the idea of signing Markieff if he's healthy..but if not, after Embid's assault on us yesterday...anyone think Gortat would be a decent signing? Just curious since it seems like McGee gets overwhelmed by physical centers and Chandler is just too old.

Lakers already have 3 centers. They need another shooter off the bench who can play the 3/4.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Knicks have to know they got KD coming or they will be the laughing stock for this:

Quote:
Nobody is being particularly subtle these days in the NBA. The Los Angeles Lakers are going hard after Anthony Davis, LeBron James is going hard after … everyone. And now, the New York Knicks are going after Kevin Durant.

I think.

In a recent message to season ticket holders, the Knicks included imagery that was highly selective. Several New York fans posted photos of the message, which asked folks to renew their tickets with a photo of Mitchell Robinson being guarded by Durant.

The Knicks have apparently already taken down the photo, but the fact remains that this appears to be how business is being done in today’s NBA.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/02/11/the-knicks-used-a-picture-of-kevin-durant-in-ticket-renewal-messaging/

NBA: "nothing to see here."
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

I think.

NBA: "nothing to see here."

It's only tampering when it's the Lakers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

^^^my favorite part was Durant appeared to be more clearly pictured than Robinson.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^my favorite part was Durant appeared to be more clearly pictured than Robinson.

yupe
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PengShow wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:

Why should fans hate Mintz for doing what any reasonable agent would have done?

This is where the FO should be held accountable for losing PG. If their relationship was poor, then it was up to the FO to fix that relationship with Mintz ASAP given PG as a top FA target.

Could have traded Ingram instead of Russell so that you don't sour relations with Mintz.

Last edited by dabask11 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

its funny how the clippers are innovative with stocking Kawhi at each game
Knicks are innovative with Knicks throwing KD on season renewal
bucks owner says we might become attractive to AD.

but nobody gets tampering fines. only lakers

comedy
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

If you're PG, and you let your agent, who works for you, dictate whether you go to the team that you said you've dreamed about playing for, that says a lot about how easily influenced you are.

I mean, didn't even have the courtesy to meet with Magic/Jeannie but had all that time to do that asinine 3 part ESPN documentary.

And I really wanted PG13.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

The Knicks have maintained their arrogance while being one of the worst run organizations in sports history. Here’s their ads from 2012.

"It's Friday night. You can either go out and attempt to pick up sixes and sevens or stay home and watch Kidd dish out dimes."

And this ad right after Spider-Man on Broadway had a harness malfunction and broke his back.

"It's Friday night. You can either see a Broadway harness malfunctioning or you can watch real men fly."

Obviously they were going after the DBag, Jersey Shore crowd. Very low class for a pricey organization. Imagine if the Lakers did that?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PengShow wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:

Why should fans hate Mintz for doing what any reasonable agent would do?

This is where the FO should be held accountable for losing PG. If their relationship was poor, then it's up to the FO to fix that relationship with Mintz ASAP given PG was as a top FA target.

Could have traded Ingram instead of Russell so that you don't sour relations with Mintz.

That was the whole reason for releasing Randle when he was a RFA. Just my opinion of course. Randle wanted out immediately after we signed Lebron.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

comedy

They send Clippers reps to a lot (if not all) of Kawhi’s games this season. The Clips also hired Lee Jenkins from SI to do their player branding, specifically with Kawhi in mind. They are probably gonna get their man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

comedy

What's worse, they have a parade each year where they have Lakers banners painted on the floor. The owners proceed to walk over it, spitting at it, burning down Lakers flags.

Then they all go to the bank to cash the Lakers revenue share check.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If you're PG, and you let your agent, who works for you, dictate whether you go to the team that you said you've dreamed about playing for, that says a lot about how easily influenced you are.

I mean, didn't even have the courtesy to meet with Magic/Jeannie but had all that time to do that asinine 3 part ESPN documentary.

So we shouldn't want AD because Rich Paul is dictating him to sign/trade with the Lakers?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So we shouldn't want AD because Rich Paul is dictating him to sign/trade with the Lakers?

Are you sure it's not AD who wants to leave the Pels (one of the worst TV ratings/market/exposure) to join the Lakers?

HE left his previous agency to join Klutch. B/c he knew he'd probably want out of the Pels and needed an aggressive agent to help.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 847, 848, 849 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 848 of 8560
Jump to: