OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3609, 3610, 3611 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
I see all the talk of a buyout, but I don’t think OKC wants one. OKC didn’t even want to eat any of Melo’s $$ in a buyout.

If they don’t consummate a trade by the start of the season they will have no choice but to buy him out unless they wanna see CP3 play as a Thunder until they find a trade partner at the TD.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
I see all the talk of a buyout, but I don’t think OKC wants one. OKC didn’t even want to eat any of Melo’s $$ in a buyout.

If they don’t consummate a trade by the start of the season they will have no choice but to buy him out unless they wanna see CP3 play as a Thunder until they find a trade partner at the TD.

Why would they have an issue with CP3 playing on their team?

Nothing about their management points to them eating millions of dollars for a guy to not play for them.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Nothing about their management points to them eating millions of dollars for a guy to not play for them.

Because he brings drama.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
kikanga wrote:
At least he knew when to pull the ripcord on the Westbrook era. But the lotto ball %s have changed through the years. And I'm worried it'll take multiple 1sts to get rid or CP3.
Presti is a great drafter. And an average trader?

I would just sit cp3 until he accepts a buyout (he wont accept one most likely) or rides out his contract. Pull a Deng on him. But I wouldn't give up picks just to get rid of him, no real reason to. Unless they are trying to save money in which case having a poor owner sucks.

I think he is a great drafter and has a record of trades that are hit and miss. But this summer was one of his better imo.

I agree. wait for a buyout (if possible). Giving up the draft picks aren't worth it. He's too good at drafting. Those picks will determin OKC's future.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Because he brings drama.

It's not just that, he's on the end of his career and he brings no value to actually have play. OKC has zero chance of competing, they're likely going to tank, they would be better off saving money by buying him out for less than they would have to pay him overall if they kept him.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

What? Why would they have no choice but to buy him out? They will play him, duh. Buying him out offers them zero advantages and only massive disadvantages, unless he’s willing to take a truly massive discount on his contract (he’s not). Even if he refuses to play for them (he won’t), they’d be better off just keeping him and continuing to explore options for trades for the entire season (or two, maybe even three) instead of paying him his contract to go play for another team. They’d be paying his contract either way, and his money will sit on their books either way, so why buy him out in year one when they always have the chance to trade him in year two or three of there’s no benefit to them in doing so?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Because he brings drama.

They got two picks to put up with it. I bet they pick drama over spending $$. This is the same franchise that didn’t want to pay Harden 4M extra or wouldn’t buy out Melo.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

JUST-MING wrote:
The beauty of the Chris Paul albatross, the contract runs through 2022, the current CBA runs through 2024. Cheap OKC owner can’t even lobby for the amnesty clause to bail them out.

I would be careful about calling other owners cheap....our owner has yet to be tested under the new CBA and luxury tax structure. Only a few have not avoided it like the plague.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dreamshake wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

If he start acting out they can suspend without pay and send home
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I wouldnt be against Sefolosha on a min. They can waive him/daniels/rondo if Iggy ever gets bought out.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

What? Why would they have no choice but to buy him out? They will play him, duh. Buying him out offers them zero advantages and only massive disadvantages, unless he’s willing to take a truly massive discount on his contract (he’s not). Even if he refuses to play for them (he won’t), they’d be better off just keeping him and continuing to explore options for trades for the entire season (or two, maybe even three) instead of paying him his contract to go play for another team. They’d be paying his contract either way, and his money will sit on their books either way, so why buy him out in year one when they always have the chance to trade him in year two or three of there’s no benefit to them in doing so?

I could actually see the Thunder being okay with CP3 staying and playing with there team. Shai/Gallo/Adams/CP3 are good enough to pile up wins.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Chris Paul should just accept his new role and finish his career where it began in OKC. You could make an argument that OKC would not even have a team if not for Chris Paul.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the owners of the Thunder are cheap at all...in fact if anything they have shown that they were pretty incompetent when it comes to running their organization. They refused to go to luxury tax territory when they had KD, Harden, and Westbrook, which led to them trading Harden to Houston. That was a squad that was championship material had they kept them intact for a couple of more years. Instead they went deep into luxury tax later for PG13, Melo and Westbrook, which was a team that couldn't even make it out of the 1st round.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

If he start acting out they can suspend without pay and send home

Actually, they can't. They can send him home at any time, but there are very few things a team can withhold a player's salary for.

Mostly, it's tangible stuff like missing games, practices and promotional events. Domestic abuse, being arrested for drunk driving, and things like that can result in a suspension.

However, nothing in the CBA gives a team the right to suspend a player based on his attitude.

A team can't withhold a player's pay because he "acted out." CP3 can be moody, an ass, and complain all the time, and the team still has to give him a paycheck, per the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Chris Paul should just accept his new role and finish his career where it began in OKC. You could make an argument that OKC would not even have a team if not for Chris Paul.

I haven't heard anyone bring this up, but how about Milwaukee? They're probably the safest bet to get to the Finals which would incentive Paul to make concessions on the guarantee in his option year. A deal of Bledsoe, Hill and Illyasova for Paul works financially. There's a $33 million difference in guaranteed salary, but Paul could agree to reduce his guarantee in the final year of his deal to bridge some of that gap. That gives him his best shot at a ring for the next two years, or at least for one year after which he could see where things stood. The Bucks could show Giannis they're serious about winning.

They would be a favorite in what looks to be a healthy buyout market too with Giannis and Paul with a pretty clear path to the finals.

Last edited by Laker's Fan on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I don't think the owners of the Thunder are cheap at all...in fact if anything they have shown that they were pretty incompetent when it comes to running their organization. They refused to go to luxury tax territory when they had KD, Harden, and Westbrook, which led to them trading Harden to Houston. That was a squad that was championship material had they kept them intact for a couple of more years. Instead they went deep into luxury tax later for PG13, Melo and Westbrook, which was a team that couldn't even make it out of the 1st round.

the ownership group added some much deeper pockets after the Harden trade
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Christian Wood would be a great get. Looked really promising for NO last year, although small sample size

We do need insurance for Davis/Kuzma in case one gets injured

He doesn't fit the roster in theory but his talent would be hard to turn down.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yes, for players that would play for them. They still wouldn’t eat Melo’s $$. They only let him go when they could flip it into a player that could play.

And now they are punting on spending again, which makes sense.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

There are no good choices for Presti when it comes to CP3.
If Presti didn't have trade promises made by another GM ahead of time (and day by day, it's looking more like that), Presti might just be an idiot.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If Presti didn't have promises made by other GMs before the trade (and day by day, it's looking more like that), he might just be an idiot.

Not an idiot either way. He took less salary with CP3 and got two picks. Also avoided lux tax.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
There's a $33 million difference in guaranteed salary, but Paul could agree to reduce his guarantee in the final year of his deal to bridge some of that gap.

Trades don't work that way. The current yearly salaries of the players in the trade need to match within a certain percentage; the length of the players' contracts, and amounts they are owed in future years, don't factor in.

In addition, players cannot reduce the guaranteed amount of their contracts except in the case of a buyout. They can waive some things, like trade kickers, but not any of their guaranteed salary.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
kikanga wrote:
If Presti didn't have promises made by other GMs before the trade (and day by day, it's looking more like that), he might just be an idiot.

Not an idiot either way. He took less salary with CP3 and got two picks. Also avoided lux tax.

No matter your thoughts on WB. He's worth more than Presti got, if CP3 isn't trade for more value. ]If you trade a triple double machine (WB) for an untradeable contract (CP3). IMO you might be an idiot. Especially knowing they're entering a rebuilding phase. CP3 might win you games you don't want to win, if he does somehow choose to play and not pull an Anthony Davis.
Hard to say this was the best trade available for the ex-MVP. Why not trade WB for 3 good young players?

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yes, for players that would play for them. They still wouldn’t eat Melo’s $$. They only let him go when they could flip it into a player that could play.

And now they are punting on spending again, which makes sense.

honestly, I can't blame any team for not eating a salary....do not see players eating their salary. This whole thing where a player "expects" to be bought out if they are a vet on a bad team is silly....the player is paid millions to play a game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
kikanga wrote:

No matter your thoughts on WB. He's worth more than Presti got, if CP3 isn't trade for [i]more[/i value. ]If you trade a triple double machine (WB) for an untradeable contract (CP3). IMO you might be an idiot. Especially knowing they're entering a rebuilding phase. CP3 might win you games you don't want to win, if he does somehow choose to play and not pull an Anthony Davis.
Hard to say this was the best trade available for the ex-MVP. Why not trade WB for 3 good young players?

A lot of people thought OKC might have to use assets to move Westbrook's massive contract.....Presti got off a year and two first round picks.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If Presti didn't have trade promises made by another GM ahead of time (and day by day, it's looking more like that), Presti might just be an idiot.

What are you even talking about? He saved 1 year of Westbrooks salary, got picks, and got worse. CP3 wasn't his goal, the picks and 40 million in savings was. You really don't know how this works?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3609, 3610, 3611 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3610 of 8560
Jump to: