27%  [ 5 ]
OTHER (explain)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Florida Man Won’t Be Charged in Fatal Shooting Under ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
This is a subject that's been discussed ad hominem since the death of Trayvon Martin.

In this particular case I think I'm being objective because of the video. It looks as though Markeis McGlockton (shover) was backing away at the sight of Michael Drejka (shooters) gun. The law says you should be in fear of your life. IMO the sight of the gun removed that threat.

I think Drejka should be charged with at least involuntary manslaughter.

I don’t think that you or I are qualified to know what he fears and doesn’t fear. That is why the law was written as it was.

I'm not even a lawyer and I know that's not how it works.

That is how it works, I deal with laws and regulations daily. They are written with purpose, most are written so that a regulator can interpret it to fit their opinions. One jurisdiction sees it one way, another sees it differently.

Sounds like you got your law degree at the same school where you studied climate science?

University of Phoenix?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

some people just live to be wrong
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

One of the things I find most puzzling about the Zimmerman case is why the prosecution didn't file a manslaughter charge as well. I actually think that the murder charge verdict was much more complicated than the media portrayed it...

Zimmerman was responsible for Trayvon's death because he instigated a conflict after being overtly instructed by the police not to. My guess is that he tried to "arrest" Trayvon or just didn't back off when told to. However, because he [Zimmerman] was punched, what he did seems closer to voluntary manslaughter than second degree murder.

You have to wonder if the prosecution, specifically Angela Corey, intentionally threw the case.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Florida Man Won’t Be Charged in Fatal Shooting Under ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
This is a subject that's been discussed ad hominem since the death of Trayvon Martin.

In this particular case I think I'm being objective because of the video. It looks as though Markeis McGlockton (shover) was backing away at the sight of Michael Drejka (shooters) gun. The law says you should be in fear of your life. IMO the sight of the gun removed that threat.

I don’t think that you or I are qualified to know what he fears and doesn’t fear. That is why the law was written as it was.

That is how it works, I deal with laws and regulations daily. They are written with purpose, most are written so that a regulator can interpret it to fit their opinions. One jurisdiction sees it one way, another sees it differently.

It's not. And whether you deal with laws and regulations everyday doesn't make it so. I also know that geologists working for petroleum companies don't have some special understanding off criminal law.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
One of the things I find most puzzling about the Zimmerman case is why the prosecution didn't file a manslaughter charge as well. I actually think that the murder charge verdict was much more complicated than the media portrayed it...

Zimmerman was responsible for Trayvon's death because he instigated a conflict after being overtly instructed by the police not to. My guess is that he tried to "arrest" Trayvon or just didn't back off when told to. However, because he [Zimmerman] was punched, what he did seems closer to voluntary manslaughter than second degree murder.

You have to wonder if the prosecution, specifically Angela Corey, intentionally threw the case.

The Zimmerman case got discussed here to great extent in its own thread. Let's not rehash it in this one.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The Zimmerman case got discussed here to great extent in its own thread. Let's not rehash it in this one.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

My bad. Anyway, I don't think this one is nearly as complex or ambiguous as the Zimmerman case. IMO shoving someone to the ground like that is assault, but it's not enough for a reasonable person to fear for his/her life. I don't see how this isn't murder.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
IMO shoving someone to the ground like that is assault, but it's not enough for a reasonable person to fear for his/her life. I don't see how this isn't murder.

Agree completely.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Florida Man Won’t Be Charged in Fatal Shooting Under ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Sounds like you got your law degree at the same school where you studied climate science?

Again I deal with it daily. LA County sees the regulations one way, Ventura County differently, Kings County differently. You can think it isn’t like that, but you would be wrong.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Not so, says the NRA's Marion Hammer, who lobbied Florida legislators to pass the Stand Your Ground law in 2005 and strengthen its protections for defendants in 2017. "Nothing in either the 2005 law or the 2017 law prohibits a Sheriff from making an arrest in a case where a person claims self-defense if there is probable cause that the use of force was unlawful," Hammer told Politico.

Legislators Say Sheriff Who Declined to Arrest Michael Drejka for Killing Markeis McGlockton Is Misrepresenting Florida's 'Stand Your Ground' Law

He will be charged soon is my bet. By Friday in custody.

If there is any credible proof he tried to be the handicap parking space cop previously and got into verbal fights with people at that same place then he is a serious threat to anyone he is near.

This lady needs to call for stand your ground law to cover her ass if he can
Quote:
The attack, which took place July 4 as Rodriguez took his regular walk around his Los Angeles neighborhood, was sparked because Rodriguez accidentally bumped into Jones’ toddler, according to a witness.

https://www.theroot.com/go-back-to-your-own-country-elderly-mexican-man-beaten-1827442698
She didn't know the bump was accidental and went into full primal child defense mode.. thought her baby might get killed so she beat the man .. defended her baby
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Man Won’t Be Charged in Fatal Shooting Under ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law

venturalakersfan wrote:
Again I deal with it daily. LA County sees the regulations one way, Ventura County differently, Kings County differently. You can think it isn’t like that, but you would be wrong.

On the very narrow point that you are making in this comment, you are correct. Regulations can be interpreted differently in different jurisdictions. There is usually a court case or a major administrative ruling that resolves the conflicts, but sometimes that doesn't happen.

But stand your ground is not an administrative regulation. Different prosecutors in different places may make different decisions about what kinds of cases they will prosecute. That's just prosecutorial discretion. I live in Harris County, and the prosecutors here decided to stop taking misdemeanor pot cases to court. That didn't change the law. The next DA could start seeking prison sentences again.

With respect to stand your ground, the use of "reasonably" makes it an objective standard everywhere in Florida. It does not become a subjective standard just because the local sheriff thinks it is. If a local prosecutor decides not to bring the case, then the state prosecutor may be able to step in and bring the case. This varies from state to state, but I won't be surprised if this guy winds up getting charged.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Back when I used to carry, I was taught two really good rules about self defense:

1. The vast majority of self defense is prevention. Use care in entering situations that would elevate your risk, and always seek the way out that causes the least physical harm, which includes walking away from verbal altercations. Never fight any battle that doesn’t have to be fought.

2. Carrying a weapon requires you to be more vigilant about rule one, not less, despite the natural inclination to feel the opposite. When you carry, you carry more than a gun. You carry responsibility for the lives of strangers. Not only shouldnusing your gun be a last resort, it should be an only resort, and only after you took all preventative measures.

When I gave up carrying, I was struck by how hard it was to follow rule two. I found myself avoiding places and behaviors from my carry days as I adjusted to not feeling I had an “answer” to a confrontation.

The stand your ground law is designed to protect people who scoff at these rules.

^Perfectly stated, concur.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Charged with manslaughter.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/08/14/us/florida-stand-your-ground-previous-incidents/index.html

YES, the truck driver was Black.. sick state Florida is allowing this murderer to keep threatening people with his gun through the years.

This guy is a (bleep) jerk and A Murderer

Voluntary Manslaughter seems too low
Murder II

He started the whole incident and has SIGNIFICANT psycho socio matters in regards to pulling his gun on people

Sadly Nothing will bring back the innocent man and this guy should've been in jail long ago for threatening people with a gun.

Has the murderer shown any remorse for being a murderer?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject:

So did he Murder him or manslaughter him

He was so happy he got his nasty sick ass shoved to the ground

He could use his own behavior as a defense saying
When you are an intentional creep you have to expect people want to kill you
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Short answer: The sheriff is misinterpreting the law. The standard is objective, not subjective, Did the shooter reasonably fear imminent bodily harm? I would say no.

in the end, not sure it matters.....the State Attorney makes the final decision on charges, correct?

that is how it works.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: