Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's "Prime?"
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's Prime?
Yes. We should have traded for another all-star and/or veteran players. Can't waste LBJ's final prime years.
10%
 10%  [ 17 ]
No. Part of the process is to be patient and assess our young core with LBJ. He signed a 4 year deal for a reason.
89%
 89%  [ 152 ]
Total Votes : 169

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Are the Lakers Wasting a Year of LBJ's "Prime?"

Personally for me, no. I think they are wisely going to assess the young core and see which of them fit with LBJ. The team didn't trade out young pieces for a win-now veteran, and I'm ok with that because I don't think that would have made us beat the Warriors. In the long run, we will need 2-3 all star level players AND the young core (which will still be on rookie deals) to have the depth to take down the Warriors.

However, it is fair to say that LBJ has a finite number of "prime" (pretty crazy that it's still there at age 33 though it's not at his peak obviously) years and we are using one of the last few ones to assess the team and stock it with a bunch of 1 year deals.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject:

No. He knew the plan from the beggining.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

He's not here to win
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
No. He knew the plan from the beggining.

I'm not debating whether LBJ knew this or approved of it.

I'm just trying to poll whether objectively, is that a right move?

I believe that trading our young core (say in the KL deal where Spurs apparently wanted EVERYTHING) would be a pyrrhic victory as we wouldn't have the depth to beat the Warriors.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
He's not here to win

One can argue that beating the Warriors may not have been 100% of the reason why he joined, but it's laughable to say he's not here to win.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

No. Even if we brought in the full complement of players, that would need time to develop chemistry.

Now we get a season to do that, with less pressure, and we can bring in whatever complementary pieces will be necessary to take the next step.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

To be frank, I was surprised when we didn't wholesale our young core after LBJ arrived.

He seems to have a very patient approach to this, though I think by next summer, his championship biological clock will be raging.

I do think for purposes of this year, he probably wouldn't mind a break from all the arduous Finals (7-8 in a row) and a chance to assess his young teammates.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject:

No. I believe the right thing to do is to develop chemistry between our young core and the vets ( esp. Lebron) who will teach them how to win and be a pro about it. Like was previously said, getting another star would necessarily involve depleting our depth too much.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
He's not here to win

One can argue that beating the Warriors may not have been 100% of the reason why he joined, but it's laughable to say he's not here to win.

Winning would be a bonus but he gets the Laker legacy, max salary, Hollywood and raising his kids where he wants. Not a waste at all, all parties are getting what they want. Great twilight to his career and a great opportunity for Laker fans to cheer for a GOAT player again. His prime is in Miami/Cleveland.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
He's not here to win

Winning would be a bonus but he gets the Laker legacy, max salary, Hollywood and raising his kids where he wants. Not a waste at all, all parties are getting what they want. Great twilight to his career and a great opportunity for Laker fans to cheer for a GOAT player again. His prime is in Miami/Cleveland.

This is fair.

But he has several levels of "prime." Obviously, his days in Miami/Cavs were his "prime prime." But he's a historical anomaly and is still in some other kind of "prime."

But he chose a holistic approach by joining the Lakers.

And I think he's at peace tabling one year of his remaining "prime" to reassess everything.

I don't think by 2019 he will be as content to punt a year away. If I'm a youngling, I ball out and don't buy too much real estate in LA just yet.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

Yes we are wasting a year of his prime, but he’ll still be good enough in 3-4 years to be a 1.5 option on a championship team.....so I’m not tripping
In 4 years Lebron will be akin to - a more athletic, PF version of Jokic with a better jumper...... he’s still going to be a top 10 player. Hopefully Kawhi is the best scorer on our team at that time.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject:

No cause I have a slight unrealistic expectation from our youngsters this season
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

feels like 2 different questions....I do not think we should have moved many assets this year for another star....but the fact that we have not put the highest level of talent around him this season, it is likely wasting a year of Lebron's prime.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

I've got to chime in with another 'no' vote on this - the squad we have right now is superior to the squad LeBron had around him in Cleveland, and by keeping the core together and having the best player in the game show the younger players the ropes, LeBron is actually extending the window in which his team is a title contender to all 4 years here, as opposed to the "win now" mortgage the future strategy that might net one title, or might just blow up in our faces a la Dwight/Nash.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

koy That anybody has answered yes to this poll but to somebody who does I’d like to hear:
What moves they could have made this summer that would made the Lakers a favorite over the Warriors this year.
What those moves would have cost to our length of contention timetable

Maybe we could have traded multiple young players and picks for one year of Kawhi and a more likely chance he’d end up here longterm, but would that have even made us the favorites offer the Warriors? After that every year Kawhi and Lebron move down the slope away from their prime while we have fewer players working their way toward their prime years.

Assuming we end up with Kawhi or some compatible, worth the money max player next summer plus Lebron and the rookie contract kids every year after that has a chance for improvement.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:

yes they are. he's going to be 34, we don't have time to wait and hope Kahwi comes next summer. If we got Lebron we should be all in to win NOW
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
koy That anybody has answered yes to this poll but to somebody who does I’d like to hear:
What moves they could have made this summer that would made the Lakers a favorite over the Warriors this year.
What those moves would have cost to our length of contention timetable

Maybe we could have traded multiple young players and picks for one year of Kawhi and a more likely chance he’d end up here longterm, but would that have even made us the favorites offer the Warriors? After that every year Kawhi and Lebron move down the slope away from their prime while we have fewer players working their way toward their prime years.

Assuming we end up with Kawhi or some compatible, worth the money max player next summer plus Lebron and the rookie contract kids every year after that has a chance for improvement.

Kawhi is 27, he's not moving down any slope any time soon.
He would be the perfect player to take over for Lebron when he start declining.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
yes they are. he's going to be 34, we don't have time to wait and hope Kahwi comes next summer. If we got Lebron we should be all in to win NOW

It isn’t about that, it is about us getting Lebron. Magic never promised titles, just names. Time for the cigars and cognac.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

It isn’t about that, it is about us getting Lebron. Magic never promised titles, just names. Time for the cigars and cognac.

Man. The saltiness.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

Well Lebron will bring a huge marketing jump and make sure the seats at staples are full every game. Are you saying this is kind of like Kobe's last contract? Make sure there is a buzz around the team with no real expectations to win? You may not be all that off, but why would Lebron want this? I'm sure he still has ambitions to win more rings and catch at least Kobe if not Jordan.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

This is what sucks about not getting Paul George. Having LeBron, George, and Ingram would have made us the second or third best team in the West. Now we basically have to wait a year before seriously contending.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject:

Wasting ? Really ? If it's a waste of money, I shudder to think what would we have called wasting $18M last season on KCP for meager production, let alone $17M on Deng to stay in street clothes. If it's a wasted opportunity for LeBron, he's culpable - not the club. If it's a wasted opportunity for the Lakers, well, they had their chance to do better.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Wasting ? Really ? If it's a waste of money, I shudder to think what would we have called wasting $18M last season on KCP for meager production, let alone $17M on Deng to stay in street clothes. If it's a wasted opportunity for LeBron, he's culpable - not the club. If it's a wasted opportunity for the Lakers, well, they had their chance to do better.

it's not a waste of money, with Lebron and especially the new jersey coming out they will make bank on jersey sales. They will make bank on tickets and other marketing. What the issue here is, is it a waste in basketball/winning terms .
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

We are but seems like LeBron doesn't care about it.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

I'm not a fan of the poll answers. I can believe we're wasting a year of his prime by answering 'Yes' yet disagree with the remaining sentences of the poll option.

Same applies for 'No' and the sentences that follow.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: