KG: "I'm in it for the long haul"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: KG: "I'm in it for the long haul"

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39222/20060219/garnett_in_it_for_the_long_haul/
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

Sorry Mastafusion, can't post that here, that is blasphemy against the 50 page KG thread movement. Let us dream about thoes KG jerseys.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

Translation: We couldn't agree on a deal.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

You've got to respect his loyalty.

I would love to have him, but considering I think that KG has seen his better days approaching early 30's I wouldn't want to give up Kobe (of course), Odom, Bynum and (Mihm or Kwame), and rather not give up Smush.

The reason we must keep either Mihm or Kwame is because I'd rather not see us playing KG at center, thus need to keep one of these two players.

The only reason I keep Smush is that we have to have a PG, otherwise Kobe will end up there and wear him down. We are very thin at PG and I just don't see us doing that well with Vujacic as our primary PG right now. But with that said I'd give up Smush in a package deal if push comes to shove, but I don't see that being an issue, frankly.

As you can see I'm personally not optimistic. I doubt a trade of either Mihm OR Kwame and a combination of other players i.e George, Cook, Walton etc. would get us KG.

I might be cojoled to agree to a Odom for KG without adding any of the following to the package; Kobe, Bynum, Mihm, Kwame, George, Cook, thus it would just be Odom and ultimately low end bench players for KG., not a likely scenario.

I'm pretty well convinced that it the T-wolves would insist on a package of Odom, (Mihm or Kwame & George) and Bynum. Way, Way to much for KG at this point in his career!!!

KG's age and current time in his career as far as how many productive years he has left must be taken into consideration. We must not give up the future to hope for a couple of competitive years. If we give up Odom in a package of other players which would likely include Mihm or Kwame at the very least, I still don't think we go all the way as a result since we would be giving up a lot.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:

I'm starting to come to that reality (if there is such a thing) on Mitch dealing Bynum to get KG. If that has to be done, the Lakers are going to build with being over the tax threshold anyway, so you gotta take a bad contract off of Minnesota. I'm all about building for the future, but if the Wolves are in "rebuild yet try for a 8th seed" mode you gotta get talent from them for the present. I'm sure they'd throw in Jaric or Hassell if the numbers work out.

See what I mean mastafusion I didn't even mean to do that, the KG trade thread has a certain power all it's own.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately KG's prime was wasted on that team. And unfortunately he's too loyal to demand a trade. He's on the downside of his career and I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank. With that said I would give up anyone not named Bryant or Bynum to get him.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

He's to loyal to demand a trade, but his Organization is not loyal to trade him to a place were he can be happy, the guy has done to much for that Organization you would think they will decide to favor KG and trade him to a place were he can win his championship.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

To me KG reached his peak,the top of his personal mountain last season at 29...........

This season turning 30 (coincidence ?),he is not a Kobe,or Jordan size or type player,30 is a whole different World for larger guys,he has shown that he is just on the other side of the mountain,the first step of going down hill...............He is no longer a top 3 to 5 player..............Some of this has probably got to do with the current T-wolves situation.....

But.............He still is near top 5,and has the greatest passion going,and in the right situation,joining the Lakers and Kobe for example he could be a beast still for a few years yet,a top 10 player for 3 to 4 years,and still an all-star for a couple after that.........Do you pass that up?Can we get something better than that done ?

For Bynum I would be very hesitant at this point,I thought I would never say that up until this year,a rookie for KG?But the tide has changed,and I would probably not do a Bynum package that involved KG.........

Odom,George,Slava,the 1st round pick..............Yes!

But KG must demand a trade to the Lakers for any chance of that happening.....
dinlabreak
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

are u guys high? its friken KG, u would rather keep a 18 year old project and wast kobes PRIME. u guys crack me up.
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

dinlabreak wrote:
are u guys high? its friken KG, u would rather keep a 18 year old project and wast kobes PRIME. u guys crack me up.

Kobe can be in his prime for six years. That is why he's not taking over the game to avoid further injury and also the "windmill". For the past loss, he could have get a 'W" but PJ could have told him not to. Remember, PJ came back to LA for Kobe as one of his reason and adding Jeanie too. We are a couple of players away to be a contender. We almost beat two of the top team and loss to the not so...why? Dunno? But we are almost there.....PJ have said that playoff is attainable.
2The4th
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

KG is a proven MVP around his prime. It is a fact.
Bynum is just an unproven rookie player. Everything are possibility only.

How can anyone choose "potential" or "possibility" over "fact" is just beyond me?
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:

2The4th wrote:

How can anyone choose "potential" or "possibility" over "fact" is just beyond me?

That is true...
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Translation: I'm being traded in the summer, not during the year. While my team looks for the best deal, I want people in Minnesota to realize how loyal I am to them and still come out to see me. It's been a great run and if I had to I would stay. However, here's the truth. I've talked to Kobe. I've talked to Buss. I have opt out protection in 2008 that allows me to dictate terms. If I'm traded, please still love me and remember the good times.
mrdectown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Ank wrote:
Translation: I'm being traded in the summer, not during the year. While my team looks for the best deal, I want people in Minnesota to realize how loyal I am to them and still come out to see me. It's been a great run and if I had to I would stay. However, here's the truth. I've talked to Kobe. I've talked to Buss. I have opt out protection in 2008 that allows me to dictate terms. If I'm traded, please still love me and remember the good times.

Sounds good to me. Sorry minny
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm pretty well convinced that it the T-wolves would insist on a package of Odom, (Mihm or Kwame & George) and Bynum. Way, Way to much for KG at this point in his career!!!

KG's age and current time in his career as far as how many productive years he has left must be taken into consideration. We must not give up the future to hope for a couple of competitive years. If we give up Odom in a package of other players which would likely include Mihm or Kwame at the very least, I still don't think we go all the way as a result since we would be giving up a lot.

I hear this all the time and it makes me laugh. When did KG become some old man? The dude is 29. I find it hilarious that people think 29 is too old, but are willing to wait for Bynum to HOPEFULLY develop into a dominant player in 3-4 years when Kobe Bryant will by that time by 31 or 32 and probably not in his prime anymore.

So it's not OK to trade for a top 5 player right now because 29 is too old, but it's OK to see if Bynum MIGHT develop once Kobe's in his 30's?

BRILLIANT!
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

KG is a class act and he loves his fans. Why would he say he is sick playing in Minnesota? He wouldn't. He still wants his fans to love him. Remember, Kobe said that he wanted to end his career in L.A. but still wanted to test the free agent waters. Are you telling me if you were dating Sarah Jessica Parker (Timberpups) and things weren't going well but she was your first, and then Carmen Elektra(Lakers) gives you the look. You wouldn't be interested? Of course you would but when people ask about the possibility of splitting up you would say, "I'm in a relationship." KG is doing that right now but we all know he won't be as happy with Sarah as he could be with Carmen. Go for it KG.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

@ not wanting to trade bynum and odom for kg
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: KG: "I'm in it for the long haul"

MasTaFUsion wrote:
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39222/20060219/garnett_in_it_for_the_long_haul/

ahhh the "loyalty" speech, this is progressing nicely, kind of like the word of apporoval from the team president too the coach, translation, were about to stick a fork in u coach. OR a hollywood couple, no were in love and together, translation.. u'll get a report in a cheesey magazine the papers are being filed
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

It's alright KG your secret is safe with us here at LG.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Quote:

I hear this all the time and it makes me laugh. When did KG become some old man? The dude is 29. I find it hilarious that people think 29 is too old, but are willing to wait for Bynum to HOPEFULLY develop into a dominant player in 3-4 years when Kobe Bryant will by that time by 31 or 32 and probably not in his prime anymore.

So it's not OK to trade for a top 5 player right now because 29 is too old, but it's OK to see if Bynum MIGHT develop once Kobe's in his 30's?

BRILLIANT!

BRILLIANT I SAY! BRILLIANT
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

2The4th wrote:

KG is also on the wrong side of 30 with a lot of hard NBA miles on him.

Bynum is 18, 7 foot one and growing and eager to learn by most accounts.

That said, I probably do the deal if I am the Lakers just because Kobe is not going to be the same player 5 years from now that he is now and it is time to move the team up a level or two by adding a true key 2nd player (I don't count Odom, despite his impressive rebounding)
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

"Long Haul" is street-slang for an esoteric sex act involving legumes and pleather underwear.

"Long Haul" is also a Chinese dish made from Ostrich meat.

I wonder which of these KG meant?

SGH
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
He's to loyal to demand a trade, but his Organization is not loyal to trade him to a place were he can be happy, the guy has done to much for that Organization you would think they will decide to favor KG and trade him to a place were he can win his championship.

Or, as they have done this season, they can continue to make trades to try and make the team better around him. They are trying, no reason to believe they will give up and trade him.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

Or, as they have done this season, they can continue to make trades to try and make the team better around him. They are trying, no reason to believe they will give up and trade him.

McHale just blew his trade wad in what was widely criticized as a dumb trade.

He's got Jaric and Davis as his only significant assets--and they're not worth much.

They can't do anything with that roster. Capped out. Either they blow it up now, or run KG into the ground with a crappy roster. No reason to believe McHale can get another all-star with Jaric and Davis.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

McHale just blew his trade wad in what was widely criticized as a dumb trade.

He's got Jaric and Davis as his only significant assets--and they're not worth much.

They can't do anything with that roster. Capped out. Either they blow it up now, or run KG into the ground with a crappy roster. No reason to believe McHale can get another all-star with Jaric and Davis.

No matter, the fact is, they are trying to improve the team. It is highly unlikely they will make those moves, then after a few weeks, give up and trade KG. It shows where Minny's mind is, and it isn't in getting rid of KG.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: