The Lakers and the Salary Cap

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: The Lakers and the Salary Cap

A lot of talk in the NBA about how you need THREE Stars to be successful. But to have three NBA elite stars on the same team is gonna be expensive and have huge salary cap considerations.

The top two NBA Team salaries are in the $145mil range, with the Thunder having just over $90mil going to there top three highest paid guys. The other $145mil team is the Heat, with over $70mil going to their top three highest paid guys, however their highest paid guy (Bosh) is out of the NBA!

The Celtics have over $80mil going to their big three next year. While the Rockets have over $86mil going to their big three (although Ryan Anderson is nowhere near being "elite").

Then, there are the Warriors at $140mil, with their top three making approx. $86mil, but with Thompson and Durants' contracts expiring after next season, and IF they retain both of them at their expected rates, they could easily go over $100mil for just three guys!

The Lakers are sitting at around $65mil for their three highest paid guys, however, $30mil of that will be gone or most of it considering it includes Deng & Pope...

With NBA elite players making north of $30mil these days, I don't think we will be seeing too many teams with three elite players due to the huge salary cap penalties tied to going over the cap.

I'm pretty sure that the penalties paid by the offenders are split up among the teams that are NOT over the Salary cap, so hopefully the Lakers can stay under and collect some of the money that the Thunder and Warriors are gonna be paying..

Also, we saw this when there was all the talk of the Lakers getting Kahwi, Lebron and George: that the Lakers would have to sacrifice all they young talent and depth to field such a team, so I'm thinking that they should just be content with two elite players (after next season) and hope that one of the Warriors big three does not resign...

NOTE: My reference is the Team salaries currently listed on HoopsHype.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Lakers and the Salary Cap

unleasHell wrote:
A lot of talk in the NBA about how you need THREE Stars to be successful. But to have three NBA elite stars on the same team is gonna be expensive and have huge salary cap considerations.

The top two NBA Team salaries are in the $145mil range, with the Thunder having just over $90mil going to there top three highest paid guys. The other $145mil team is the Heat, with over $70mil going to their top three highest paid guys, however their highest paid guy (Bosh) is out of the NBA!

The Celtics have over $80mil going to their big three next year. While the Rockets have over $86mil going to their big three (although Ryan Anderson is nowhere near being "elite").

Then, there are the Warriors at $140mil, with their top three making approx. $86mil, but with Thompson and Durants' contracts expiring after next season, and IF they retain both of them at their expected rates, they could easily go over $100mil for just three guys!

The Lakers are sitting at around $65mil for their three highest paid guys, however, $30mil of that will be gone or most of it considering it includes Deng & Pope...

With NBA elite players making north of $30mil these days, I don't think we will be seeing too many teams with three elite players due to the huge salary cap penalties tied to going over the cap.

I'm pretty sure that the penalties paid by the offenders are split up among the teams that are NOT over the Salary cap, so hopefully the Lakers can stay under and collect some of the money that the Thunder and Warriors are gonna be paying..

Also, we saw this when there was all the talk of the Lakers getting Kahwi, Lebron and George: that the Lakers would have to sacrifice all they young talent and depth to field such a team, so I'm thinking that they should just be content with two elite players (after next season) and hope that one of the Warriors big three does not resign...

NOTE: My reference is the Team salaries currently listed on HoopsHype.

This is actually not the reason why. The reason why few teams pay 3 elite players is because few teams have 3 elite players.

Any team lucky enough to get 3 elite players will pay.

Only team that wasn't willing to pay were the OKC Thunder when they had Ibaka, Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. They decided to pay Ibaka, Durant, and Westbrook and traded Harden away.

i.e. Minnesota is willing to pay KAT, Butler and Wiggins; Rockets are willing to pay Harden, CP3, and Capela.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

OKC actually chose Perkins over Harden to try and compete with Shaq. Hoping something bad happens with the Warriors isn’t a plan. We can only do the best that we can do. GS was fortunate that their stars were their draft picks and that KD was available when the cap increased. We had the draft picks but the future stars we need weren’t there. The best so far was Randle and we let him walk for nothing. Some team will take advantage when GS declines in 3-4 years, hopefully that will be the Lakers.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
OKC actually chose Perkins over Harden to try and compete with Shaq. Hoping something bad happens with the Warriors isn’t a plan. We can only do the best that we can do. GS was fortunate that their stars were their draft picks and that KD was available when the cap increased. We had the draft picks but the future stars we need weren’t there. The best so far was Randle and we let him walk for nothing. Some team will take advantage when GS declines in 3-4 years, hopefully that will be the Lakers.

Bynum*
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Yes, Shaq was gone
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: