Wished he was a Laker.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which player do you most prefer the Lakers drafted?
Clint Capela - 2014 25th Pick (Randle)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Nikola Jokic - 2014 41st Pick (Randle)
11%
 11%  [ 17 ]
Kristaps Porzingis - 2015 4th Pick (Russell)
39%
 39%  [ 57 ]
Devin Booker - 2015 13th Pick (Russell)
18%
 18%  [ 27 ]
Jaylen Brown - 2016 3rd Pick (Ingram)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jamal Murray - 2016 7th Pick (Ingram)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jayson Tatum - 2017 3rd Pick (Ball)
16%
 16%  [ 24 ]
Donovan Mitchell - 2017 13th Pick (Ball)
13%
 13%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 146

kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

lakerz32 wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
Russell going to make the all star team this season and make quite a few people here look silly.

nope

if he is healthy, I actually expect him to perform incredibly well. Talent was never the issue with dlo, he is the type of player I would expect to perform in a contract year.

the problem for me is what comes after, once dlo is inked to a 4-5 year contract paying him 20-25 million per year. there is a very human component to basketball. we all want to believe that all young prospects work hard, and are committed to improving as basketball players, but thats not always the case. Everyone has their goals they want to reach, and I think a lot of 22 year old kids would be pretty content making $100+ million dollars. theres enough evidence, where I would feel wary of making that type of investment to dlo. Andrew wiggins, who was a superior college prospect to dlo, is basically my fear.

This applies to every player though....
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
diando wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
People sure love nondefense

These people don't understand what truly wins Championships.

I'm as big a fan of defense as the next guy however if you have a guy as offensively special as Booker you surround him with defense.

The reigning MVP of the league doesn't even attempt to play defense. If it weren't for a Chris Paul injury and an Ariza 0-11 then he would have had a championship.

Or you can believe it was his lack of defense.

Ooh, I wasn't talking about Booker...

Ha fair enough. I just looked at the guy with the most votes and assumed.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

On hindsight, us jumping ahead of New York for the #2 pick in 2015 was a curse.

If Lakers had the #4 pick, we probably would've drafted Porzingis no?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

If we had landed at #4 we wouldn't have had a pick at all.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

But wasn't 2015 just Top 5 protected?

We still would've kept the pick at #4.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
lakerz32 wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
Russell going to make the all star team this season and make quite a few people here look silly.

nope

if he is healthy, I actually expect him to perform incredibly well. Talent was never the issue with dlo, he is the type of player I would expect to perform in a contract year.

the problem for me is what comes after, once dlo is inked to a 4-5 year contract paying him 20-25 million per year. there is a very human component to basketball. we all want to believe that all young prospects work hard, and are committed to improving as basketball players, but thats not always the case. Everyone has their goals they want to reach, and I think a lot of 22 year old kids would be pretty content making $100+ million dollars. theres enough evidence, where I would feel wary of making that type of investment to dlo. Andrew wiggins, who was a superior college prospect to dlo, is basically my fear.

it's not just the work ethic, its a lot of things I didn't really want to get into. FWIW, I care a lot about the intangibiles/mental side in evaluating young prospects.

none of us are really behind the scenes insiders, so I generally go by whatever is reported. off the top of my head, so may forget a few.

ingram's interview about dlo during the all star break, Walton's comments during the season and after dlo trade, dlo's interview on magic, magic's comment about dlo post trade, Byron scott's (when he was the lakers coach) comment on dlo's pre-game routine, report that pop chewed dlo out at team USA practice, the whole nick young fiasco, and the two guys he seemed closest to were nick young and Jordan Clarkson (I actually still remember a quote from dlo's rookie season, that he was much more 'nick young' than 'kobe')

so with dlo I am concerned with coachability/arrogance/willingness to learn from others, focus, leadership, emotional/mental maturity, professionalism, likability, being engaged/not lackadaisical, injuries, and lastly in his third year in the NBA all of his advanced stats from rpm,ws, bpm, and vorp are still very very poor (-2.42 rpm 77th ranked pg)(despite being scorer, poor offensive efficiency as well)
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
I picked Porzingus simply because at the time I absolutely could not believe all the hype people here were giving Russell and that he was the number 2 pick while if you liked Porzingus you were told u had no basketball IQ and we're completely mocked. That was the only recent first round pick I absolutely could not comprehend. Porzingus without the injuries would have been a top 10 player.

There isn’t such a thing as Porzingis with no injuries, that was the knock on him and it was spot on.

As for the poll, the only player I wanted us to draft that we didn’t was Tatum.

For all the heat VLF gets on here I am with him on this 100%. I know the question includes hindsight but for me, all that matters is if you said it BEFORE the draft.

I was 100% right on Okafor not being a good prospect. Many on here would refuse to admit this and held it against Dlo even BEFORE his Swaggy P incident. I was also correct about Porzy being an injury risk and don't see how anyone could argue he would be a better choice than Booker. I still would not take KP over Dlo even with his own knee issues because I doubt KP will ever fulfill his promise due to injury. The track record of bigs 7 foot 2 and over staying healthy, are not good which is why I don't trust Embiid either.

Tatum was the prospect for me, I said that here there and everywhere. But it's early. After year one many on here wanted KP and STILL insisted Okafor would be better than Dlo.

I hope Lonzo proves me wrong and ends up the better player but my instincts are telling me no at the moment. But I will not minimize Lonzo to make my "prediction/analysis" look good ...to many on here are guilty of this.

I fully admit I was wrong about Exum over Randle or DLo over booker. Mitchell I did not see coming at all because I saw him play in college and I did not see ROTY or breakout star.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

It's hard to compare Tatum/Lonzo as they are such fundamentally different players (and I'm high on both).

On this team, would a higher usage Tatum be better than a lower usage Lonzo who would facilitate better on offense?

Tatum would have made sense if we didn't have BI.

I think we didn't take Porky b/c Jules was picked the year before and he missed the season with an injury. So they wanted to evaluate him more before drafting what they believed was another PF.

Lonzo seemed to be predestined, but I could also see the Lakers saying that we already had BI at the SF spot and we needed a PG (especially b/c DLO would be traded).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

But wasn't 2015 just Top 5 protected?

We still would've kept the pick at #4.

My bad, you are correct.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Russell served a meaningful purpose in facilitating a salary dump. I'm not sure what was gained from the Randle pick since he left for nothing.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

lakerz32 wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
lakerz32 wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:

nope

it's not just the work ethic, its a lot of things I didn't really want to get into. FWIW, I care a lot about the intangibiles/mental side in evaluating young prospects.

none of us are really behind the scenes insiders, so I generally go by whatever is reported. off the top of my head, so may forget a few.

ingram's interview about dlo during the all star break, Walton's comments during the season and after dlo trade, dlo's interview on magic, magic's comment about dlo post trade, Byron scott's (when he was the lakers coach) comment on dlo's pre-game routine, report that pop chewed dlo out at team USA practice, the whole nick young fiasco, and the two guys he seemed closest to were nick young and Jordan Clarkson (I actually still remember a quote from dlo's rookie season, that he was much more 'nick young' than 'kobe')

so with dlo I am concerned with coachability/arrogance/willingness to learn from others, focus, leadership, emotional/mental maturity, professionalism, likability, being engaged/not lackadaisical, injuries, and lastly in his third year in the NBA all of his advanced stats from rpm,ws, bpm, and vorp are still very very poor (-2.42 rpm 77th ranked pg)(despite being scorer, poor offensive efficiency as well)

SOme of it I agree, but not most of it.

DLO needed to mature, but we didn't really put him in a position to excel imo. Also leadership from a 20 year old kid was very unrealistic to begin with.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Imagine Porzingis at C for us in this system and current roster

Yes please.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Imagine Booker playin with LeBron
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Imagine Booker playin with LeBron

Wonder which guy from that list is likely to be first with a couple all star appearances?
My guess would be a guy from the East due to diluted talent these days so maybe Tatum. Or Zinger (but those injuries).

But i'm highest on Mitchell or Booker over the next 10 years as both look like clear #1 options in their current situation.
Didn't Mitchell go down with an injury late in that playoff series? Wonder if he's full strength when season gets underway
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

Kristaps Porzingis was in play and we blew it by not drafting him and picking DLO. I felt this way a draft time.

I think that this may have been a Jim Buss screw up as he took the low risk route and settled for a mediocre prospect at #2.

Mitchell was a great find but to me his is kind of like Kuz as he was a diamond that Utah discovered. I don't think anyone was considering him in the top 7 slots.

Tatum versus Ball: I still think Ball will end up as a better player so I am not complaining. I could be wrong about this but I am not upset about who the Lakers picked.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: