Wished he was a Laker.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which player do you most prefer the Lakers drafted?
Clint Capela - 2014 25th Pick (Randle)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Nikola Jokic - 2014 41st Pick (Randle)
11%
 11%  [ 17 ]
Kristaps Porzingis - 2015 4th Pick (Russell)
39%
 39%  [ 57 ]
Devin Booker - 2015 13th Pick (Russell)
18%
 18%  [ 27 ]
Jaylen Brown - 2016 3rd Pick (Ingram)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jamal Murray - 2016 7th Pick (Ingram)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jayson Tatum - 2017 3rd Pick (Ball)
16%
 16%  [ 24 ]
Donovan Mitchell - 2017 13th Pick (Ball)
13%
 13%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 146

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject:

Mitchell, Tatum, Booker and Porzingis all give me pause

Knowing who else we've drafted versus who we'd be losing in these cases, here's assuming how we'd look with young core + LeBron

Porzingis
LeBron/Kuzma
Ingram
Hart
Lonzo

LeBron
Kuzma
Tatum
Ingram
Hart

LeBron
Kuzma
Ingram
Hart
Mitchell

LeBron
Kuzma
Ingram
Hart
Booker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

Can we add Marcus Banks to the poll?
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

Very happy with who we got.

Jules was the only pick for #7...Clint just got massively overpaid. Jokey is good for them at 41.

DLO became Hart or Kuz...regardless I's rather have either one over Booker or Porgy.

Ingram is a top NBA prospect who performed better than Kuz in only his 2nd year at age 20...too bad his entire career will be defined by his rookie season lol.

Zo is a top NBA prospect that we couldn't win without last year wars and all...and his career is being defined by his rookie year and daddy hate too.

There is no one in that poll that makes me think 'How could we have missed on that kid?' despite the narratives that Porgy, Mitchell, and Booker are somehow better players than we got. Of the 3 only Mitchell may prove to be a championship player...but I personally think that Utah, Portland, and Denver all out performed their talent last year...good luck with that 2 years in a row.

Now you want to talk AD or Giannis...now you have a conversation. LeBron and either guy and we're a serious problem for GS...but with only a 2 to 3 year window.

#BannersOverBillboards
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject:

Easily, Porzingis over Russell.

Russell was a miss as a No. 2 pick. Porzingis taken in that spot is still on the Lakers today.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

the issue with a guy like Porzingis is he has already shown to be a high maintenance player....kind of has that "diva" thing before he has proved worth it. The point is I do not think he can be the best player on a championship team.....but have doubts about him accepting a secondary role on a team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
I picked Porzingus simply because at the time I absolutely could not believe all the hype people here were giving Russell and that he was the number 2 pick while if you liked Porzingus you were told u had no basketball IQ and we're completely mocked. That was the only recent first round pick I absolutely could not comprehend. Porzingus without the injuries would have been a top 10 player.

There isn’t such a thing as Porzingis with no injuries, that was the knock on him and it was spot on.

As for the poll, the only player I wanted us to draft that we didn’t was Tatum.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

I don't think any of these should count if it would have been an absolutely ludicrous pick on Draft Night. That leaves us with Porzingis over Rusell and Tatum over Ball. You could argue for both, but Porzingis over Russell is obvious.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
the issue with a guy like Porzingis is he has already shown to be a high maintenance player....kind of has that "diva" thing before he has proved worth it. The point is I do not think he can be the best player on a championship team.....but have doubts about him accepting a secondary role on a team.

Lol if he’s a diva then at he’s a better diva than the one we picked. The one we picked is a role at best in a championship team and I have doubts that he can accept such a role since he has that know it all attitude.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I don't think any of these should count if it would have been an absolutely ludicrous pick on Draft Night. That leaves us with Porzingis over Rusell and Tatum over Ball. You could argue for both, but Porzingis over Russell is obvious.

Yeah. Porky is the right pick but his injury issues/durability are a real concern IMO. That was my concern with him from day 1. Not many 7'3" NBA players stay healthy and reach all-star status for a prolonged period of time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yeah. Porky is the right pick but his injury issues/durability are a real concern IMO. That was my concern with him from day 1. Not many 7'3" NBA players stay healthy and reach all-star status for a prolonged period of time.

The guy hasn’t finished a season as of yet. And Russell has his own injury issues. I would argue that we had second picks in two drafts where there weren’t second player talents.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. I'm not buying stock in either of their futures, but he did become an All Star in Year 3. It's the East, and even healthy he has holes in his game that aren't often discussed, but he's obviously further down the road than Russell. I still am rooting for Russell to get it together.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
I picked Porzingus simply because at the time I absolutely could not believe all the hype people here were giving Russell and that he was the number 2 pick while if you liked Porzingus you were told u had no basketball IQ and we're completely mocked. That was the only recent first round pick I absolutely could not comprehend. Porzingus without the injuries would have been a top 10 player.

There isn’t such a thing as Porzingis with no injuries, that was the knock on him and it was spot on.

Was just about to post this thought. He is exactly what most predicted. Fragile.

These hypothetical re-drafts with the luxury of hindsight are tough. In most cases presented if the Lakers had taken a player several slots higher then their draft projection they would have been crucified.

I'm fine with the Laker selections. The only real question is the Ball selection. If he develops as expected, not a problem. Still too early to look wistfully at the other players IMO.

Sure I would love to see a quality big man but can you imagine if Randle was not selected for guys projected in the 20s! In reality would either still be on the team any more then Randle? Lakers would still be holding back salary for that 2nd max, wouldn't they?

Looking at the 2015 draft, Cauley- Stein was taken only 4 picks after Russell. In hindsight I would have loved that addition.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. I'm not buying stock in either of their futures, but he did become an All Star in Year 3. It's the East, and even healthy he has holes in his game that aren't often discussed, but he's obviously further down the road than Russell. I still am rooting for Russell to get it together.

Same here. Both have flaws, but one actually became an all star. I'd be pretty concerned about Porky's knee injury though. That's a tough one for a guy his size.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

Id say Porky if he recovers. He gives the most chemistry with our current young core:

Ball
Hart
Ingram
Kuzma
Porky
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Krispy Porky and Booker are obvious choices. Now that we let Randle go for nothing, Capela and Jokic too, but picking any of those two would have been a massive reach at #7. I'm not giving up on Ball like most here, I think he can be more impactful than Tatum and Mitchell but we'll see. Judging by their first years, Tatum and Mitchell are obvious choices.

Glad we're all, or most of us, happy with Ingram. Seems like we got that one right. I like Jaylen Brown but I would still take BI.

I'm gonna go with Porky for the poll. He's the All-Star and still has the most potential. Injuries are scary though.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Russell going to make the all star team this season and make quite a few people here look silly.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
People sure love nondefense

These people don't understand what truly wins Championships.

You think the rockets could beat this team?

PG.Dejounte Murray
SG.Robert Covington
SF.Andre Roberson
PF.Draymond
C.Rudy Gobert
lakertang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

.4 wrote:
Can we add Marcus Banks to the poll?

I second this. We need a doberman on defense to guard curry! GETMARCUSBANKS.com.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

The best player on that list is Jokic BUT he was never on our radar for where we were picking.

Out of all the lottery picks we had, I would most likely change the Dlo pick and go for Porzingis. Close second for me would be taking Mitchell or Tatum over Lonzo.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject:

None of those forgone options really bug me.

What still bugs me was the Lakers missing out at #26 (2006) on Paul Millsap (Jordan Farmar). My gawd, my gawd, what a difference he may have made here in retooling after Shaq. Think of the big men on hand then: Kwame, Bynum, Cook and Radmanovic. Could have made a helluva big guy rotation with Bynum, Pau and Lamar then next season, and the man is still an excellent player today. Ah well, that's water long under the bridge but it's stuck in my ear to this day.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I'm as big a fan of defense as the next guy however if you have a guy as offensively special as Booker you surround him with defense.

The reigning MVP of the league doesn't even attempt to play defense. If it weren't for a Chris Paul injury and an Ariza 0-11 then he would have had a championship.

Or you can believe it was his lack of defense.
lakerz32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
Russell going to make the all star team this season and make quite a few people here look silly.

nope

if he is healthy, I actually expect him to perform incredibly well. Talent was never the issue with dlo, he is the type of player I would expect to perform in a contract year.

the problem for me is what comes after, once dlo is inked to a 4-5 year contract paying him 20-25 million per year. there is a very human component to basketball. we all want to believe that all young prospects work hard, and are committed to improving as basketball players, but thats not always the case. Everyone has their goals they want to reach, and I think a lot of 22 year old kids would be pretty content making $100+ million dollars. theres enough evidence, where I would feel wary of making that type of investment to dlo. Andrew wiggins, who was a superior college prospect to dlo, is basically my fear.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

In a vacuum - Kristaps
After taking health into consideration - Tatum
After taking fit into consideration - Mitchell

Mitchell
Hart
Ingram/Kuz
Lebron
Mcgee

Booker is also intriguing but getting him meant we lose out on Hart and would have had to convince a team to take Randle + Mozgov's contract.

Booker and Mitchell are similar offensively but Booker is a terrible defender and also a bit of a douche.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
diando wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

You think the rockets could beat this team?

PG.Dejounte Murray
SG.Robert Covington
SF.Andre Roberson
PF.Draymond
C.Rudy Gobert

Actually, that team would be hard to beat, not only can they defend, they're smart players too. I'd swap Roberson for Kawhi Leonard (best defender at that position) and no team would be beat that one.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
diando wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I'm as big a fan of defense as the next guy however if you have a guy as offensively special as Booker you surround him with defense.

The reigning MVP of the league doesn't even attempt to play defense. If it weren't for a Chris Paul injury and an Ariza 0-11 then he would have had a championship.

Or you can believe it was his lack of defense.

Ooh, I wasn't talking about Booker...

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: