Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Not to cross-pollinate threads, but I hope, as well, that the FO signs free agents based on need and not just BPA.

Need a top shelf shooter (an expensive one and a minimum one)
Need a defensive combo forward.

Need a 3&D center.

Jimmy Butler?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Not to cross-pollinate threads, but I hope, as well, that the FO signs free agents based on need and not just BPA.

Need a 3&D center.

Jimmy Butler?

Terrible team chemistry. As if the Lakers current situation wasn't bad enough. We don't need two guys barking at the kids for perceived wrongdoings when they're the ones playing the best on the team.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Need a 3&D center.

Jimmy Butler?

Jimmy Butler is neither a top-shelf shooter nor a defensive combo forward (combo meaning PF/SF).

Think Joe Harris (expensive), Seth Curry (cheap), Trevor Ariza.

Last edited by Joe Pesci on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Assuming AD trade goes down and wipe off our youngins...

who's the best player in the draft to add to LBJ and AD if we keep our pick?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:

It's still BPA regardless of position. If the Lakers are #1, draft Zion, then use him to get the player you want at least.

But I'm not about building around LeBron anyway.

Personally, I'd rather keep Zion and get Kemba or Kawhi, pray that Brook Lopez takes full MLE, Seth Curry takes the room exception, and then just roll.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Drafting for need is how Derwin James falls to 17th in the NFL Draft. Sure, if you have two prospects rated as virtual equals, you can use need as a tiebreak. But far too often in the NFL and NBA, teams talk themselves into need picks.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

It's still BPA regardless of position. If the Lakers are #1, draft Zion, then use him to get the player you want at least.

Personally, I'd rather keep Zion and get Kemba or Kawhi, pray that Brook Lopez takes full MLE, Seth Curry takes the room exception, and then just roll.

and if we are 8-10?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Drafting for need is how Derwin James falls to 17th in the NFL Draft. Sure, if you have two prospects rated as virtual equals, you can use need as a tiebreak. But far too often in the NFL and NBA, teams talk themselves into need picks.

Or other reasons.

DeAndre Hunter wasn't the BPA last year and those who paid attention to the draft, all knew. But, he's from Arizona and Phoenix already had Booker...

Or Marvin Bagley... his agent actually gave Sacramento his medical records, other teams didn't, so the Kings took Bagley because other lottery players weren't interested in being Sacramento Kings.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

and if we are 8-10?

That's my draft list for the Lakers as of yesterday.
https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/03/17/2019-nba-draft-top-20-prospects-to-watch-for-ncaa-tournament/

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

^
Still can't believe the Kings didn't take Doncic. They have a European executive calling the personnel moves. That should've been a layup.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

AD couldn't win with Jrue Holliday, Randle, Mirotic on his team.

What makes you think he can win with only old LBJ?

What makes you think he will stay healthy for 82 games when he's never done it his entire career?

What makes you think one old and another injury prone player can play with a 6 or 7 man rotation?

If you really want AD... our best bet is to sign him in 2020.

If he comes for the rest of the core and plays with LBJ by himself... chances are they will lose and end up yelling at each other.

This could end up a worst case scenario where we trade the core for AD... he fights with LBJ... then we are stuck with old LBJ for two years without any draft picks, cost controlled players, or elite free agents.

It's sheer insanity to put those two on a team without any depth... I really hope they don't do it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:
So crazy.

Barrett was like the consensus number 1 pick before playing for Duke....

Dude was seen as the most NBA ready player in years and once in a lifetime talent.

Andrew Wiggins says hi.

He doesn’t count. He’s Canadian. 😜

Wiggins and RJ Barrett are both Canadian.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Or other reasons.

DeAndre Hunter wasn't the BPA last year and those who paid attention to the draft, all knew. But, he's from Arizona and Phoenix already had Booker...

Or Marvin Bagley... his agent actually gave Sacramento his medical records, other teams didn't, so the Kings took Bagley because other lottery players weren't interested in being Sacramento Kings.

Phoenix had a huge need for Ayton and Doncic. To me, they took BPA.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Or other reasons.

The Suns went safe with the local kid and they felt like he had a higher floor, which I still think is strange because Doncic played against better competition than Ayton did. Regardless, I didn't think that selection was egregious at the time.

But I will never understand taking Bagley over Doncic. When I was doing my mock drafts, I refused to adjust it until a few days before the draft, when the tea leaves became clear that they were going to take Bagley. I didn't believe it then and I still don't believe it LOL.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Or other reasons.

That explains everything.

Now look at Doncic. So good, he stole Dennis Smith Jr's spot and the Mavs traded him away.

It's especially bad when the modern NBA is based on modern wings/primary initiators, not centers, and then they still drafted the weaker archetype in terms of impact.

Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Or other reasons.

Now look at Doncic. So good, he stole Dennis Smith Jr's spot and the Mavs traded him away.

It's especially bad when the modern NBA is based on modern wings/primary initiators, not centers, and then they still drafted the weaker archetype in terms of impact.

Suns dreaming of Embiid.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Still can't believe the Kings didn't take Doncic. They have a European executive calling the personnel moves. That should've been a layup.

it is easier to say now than then. I do not recall where I had Doncic, but it was not #1....I was wrong. I like others had questions about how he would transition to the NBA....if his expanding waistline was going to be an issue. So far, I along with many others appear to be wrong on Doncic, it happens.

That said, many that loved Doncic were very low on Bagley.....but I think Bagley has proved his doubters wrong also. He does not appear to have MVP type ceiling, but he clearly has All Star ceiling.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Or other reasons.

Suns dreaming of Embiid.

The scary part is knowing how easy it is just to get a lob threat but have 2 dominant guards, with one of them at PF/SF size. More mismatches to exploit that way.

At least the Mavs get it.

Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Or other reasons.

The Suns went safe with the local kid and they felt like he had a higher floor, which I still think is strange because Doncic played against better competition than Ayton did. Regardless, I didn't think that selection was egregious at the time.

But I will never understand taking Bagley over Doncic. When I was doing my mock drafts, I refused to adjust it until a few days before the draft, when the tea leaves became clear that they were going to take Bagley. I didn't believe it then and I still don't believe it LOL.

The Kings DEFINITELY took BPA.

They had a huge hole at SF that Doncic could've filled while they had several bigs that created a logjam after they took Bagley.

They definitely some Bagley as the best player available.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

No, really, they drafted Bagley because they had access to his medical records while Bagley's agent was pushing his client to be #1 in the draft.

No other players gave the Kings their medical records dude.

Also, I wouldn't call having Bogdanovic at 3 a hole at the position either.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

No, really, they drafted Bagley because they had access to his medical records while Bagley's agent was pushing his client to be #1 in the draft.

No other players gave the Kings their medical records dude.

I do not knock the Kings for their pick. They took the guy that respected their organization and wanted to be there. No other top players would even give them a workout. If you want others to respect your team, you first have to have members of the organization respect it. The Kings pick had a productive year....they have a good young core that is on the incline....their decision was not disastrous.
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

If Lakers took Zion and traded him or the pick I’d never root for this team again. At least not until it’s stripper from the top down. (bleep) that. Trading Zion would be the most idiotic move in NBA history unless it is going to guarantee you rings. Davis does no such thing.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Anyone on #6 position to make up for the Doncic loss as the result of Hawks trading down?

Or was it irreparable?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

If Lakers took Zion and traded him or the pick I’d never root for this team again. At least not until it’s stripper from the top down. (bleep) that. Trading Zion would be the most idiotic move in NBA history unless it is going to guarantee you rings. Davis does no such thing.

not gonna happen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 55 of 441
Jump to: