Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

They’re completely different they’re just similar body types and athletic and lightskin. They’re different types of leapers too. Gordon showed little success or promise really as a defender his first 4 years... Clarke is way more active, jumps way more often to disrupt plays/block - Gordon is a high leaper but like most leapers, he doesn’t do it extremely often and needs more time to load. Clarke’s whole game is based on leaping as much and as quick as possible, kinda like Shawn Marion, but w more rim protection opportunities.

Gordon wants to be a wing offensively and not a rim protector defensively. Clarke is very dissimilar to that.. Clarke is by far the more special athlete functionally. And they say he can kiss the rim, I think his vert is amazing he’s just not long enough to do crazy dunks

Clarke is way more similar to Dwight Powell... a “bigman “ .

Clarke wants to be a Center and Gordon wants to be a SG
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I hear you. Gordon, to me, wasn't developed properly. Orlando should've never played him at SF. Playing him there made him focus more on SF skills and stunted his PF bigman skill development.

If developed properly, Gordon could've had a game that, like Clarke, was more big man based. Granted he'd never have the shot blocking of Clarke, but Clarke would probably never have Gordon's handle.

You're not wrong. I just think Gordon had Dennis Rodman potential as a raw athlete but because of bad leadership wasn't nurtured right. Clarke has similar potential, thus the comparison.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Even in high school Gordon played guard essentially... and without ever really showing success defensively - idk where the upside really came from..
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Never saw him in high school, but I believe what you're saying. I always thought his rebounding numbers at Arizona were remarkably low for an uber-athletic PF prospect.

All the more reason he needed to be given direction as a 19 year old rookie coming into the league. He was never given it.

I think we both like Clarke though, so we agree on that.

The Lakers desperately need a defensive PF foil to Kuzma's offensive PF role, and I think Clarke can fill it rather nicely.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Clarke would replace Randle nicely.
Garland would be a gift to lonzo and the lakeshow.
We get either...... party baby party👍🙏🏻👍🙏🏻
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:

Garland would be a bad initial fit on this team. It's just the truth. I'm a fit guy, so I see these things early.

That being said, the decision between Garland and Clarke would be very difficult. In a vacuum, Garland is almost surely the better prospect, so it'd be difficult not to call his name.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

Garland would be a bad initial fit on this team. It's just the truth. I'm a fit guy, so I see these things early.

That being said, the decision between Garland and Clarke would be very difficult. In a vacuum, Garland is almost surely the better prospect, so it'd be difficult not to call his name.

It’s hard to expect any rookie to be legit good on either side of the ball. Year 2 Garland w some more weight, could be as good as year 2 Clarke - Garland can shoot it for real.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

it is impossible to not consider the huge age difference between Gordon and Clarke coming into the draft. Gordon was extremely raw entering the draft...but a lot of that has to do with him being 18 years old. He is less than a year older than Clarke now....and is far more advanced than Clarke.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
it is impossible to not consider the huge age difference between Gordon and Clarke coming into the draft. Gordon was extremely raw entering the draft...but a lot of that has to do with him being 18 years old. He is less than a year older than Clarke now....and is far more advanced than Clarke.

He’s more advanced on offense ya. Not D
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Advanced in some skills he probably should be doing less off (dribbling and shooting) while less advanced in skills he should be doing more of (defense, rebounding, hustle plays, and energy).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:

so the guy I am watching defend and give Kawhi Leonard hell on television is not as good as Brandon Clarke on defense? Clarke could defend Kawhi Leonard as the primary defender for a game....and hold him to 16?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:

so the guy I am watching defend and give Kawhi Leonard hell on television is not as good as Brandon Clarke on defense? Clarke could defend Kawhi Leonard as the primary defender for a game....and hold him to 16?

It’s just a bad game for Kawhi. He’d been avg 31 this series. Gordon hasn’t been a markedly above average defender all year.. maybe he’ll step it up sometimes in the playoffs. But yea generally Clarke is a significantly better defender
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:

It’s just a bad game for Kawhi. He’d been avg 31 this series. Gordon hasn’t been a markedly above average defender all year.. maybe he’ll step it up sometimes in the playoffs. But yea generally Clarke is a significantly better defender

you have watched this playoff game, and your conclusion is it is all about Kawhi's struggles? You have not seen Gordon's length and athleticism give him issues much of the night?

OK....I am just going to disagree with a near 23 year old guy who has been defending guys from Santa Clara and Pacific most of the season being in the same conversation as a 23 year old guy in his 5th year in the NBA, matched up against Kawhi Leonard in the playoffs.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:

you have watched this playoff game, and your conclusion is it is all about Kawhi's struggles? You have not seen Gordon's length and athleticism give him issues much of the night?

OK....I am just going to disagree with a near 23 year old guy who has been defending guys from Santa Clara and Pacific most of the season being in the same conversation as a 23 year old guy in his 5th year in the NBA, matched up against Kawhi Leonard in the playoffs.

And Jemario Jones came in from the Gleague and was a great defender for us, gave D.Mitchell a lot of problems.
Gordon just was not a very above average defender all year........he had a good defensive game tonight. ok...
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Gordon's a good defender. No doubt.

Clarke has more dog in him though. He's tougher.

As good of an athlete as Clarke is, Gordon is even better. He has more defensive potential on the perimeter when he's engaged.

Clarke will be no slouch on the perimeter (I do think he could guard Leonard), but because of his toughness, he'll be a much, much better defender of bigmen than Gordon (despite Clarke's small frame).

Overall, potential-wise, the edge goes to Clarke because of his versatility. Right now Gordon obviously has an edge because of his head start in the league, but, with consistent minutes, that difference will quickly be made up by Clarke within his first year, IMO.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I hope Zion goes to the Knicks so that (bleep) show can finally have a good team.

I've been following the NBA since 2009, I want to see an actual title contending New York team for once. They're always trash its actually annoying.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
I hope Zion goes to the Knicks so that (bleep) show can finally have a good team.

I've been following the NBA since 2009, I want to see an actual title contending New York team for once. They're always trash its actually annoying.

Brooklyn is one star away from being a title contending team.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:

Brooklyn is one star away from being a title contending team.

I shouldn't have said in New York, I mean specifically the Knicks. I want to see a title contending Knicks team that loses to the Lakers in the finals.

I can only imagine the hype and headlines that team would have.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:

Damn, you're a pup.

Williamson's best fit is on the Hawks.

If New York gets him, New York will sign Irving and punt the rest of the space to sign Davis in 2020. Long story short: Williamson going to the Knicks hurts the Lakers' chances of acquiring Davis.
believeNmagic32
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:

I don't see Zion going to New York. Of course there's a lottery in place, but i'm of the belief that the NBA determines the destinations of the truly transcendent players. I think they'll send him to Chicago and get that market right back in the mix or ship him to Atlanta. Fun young nucleus, major city that NEEDs star power to consistently put butts in the seats. The Knicks are getting KD and after Boston gets bounced they'll have a shot at Kyrie.

I've got a little youtube show about Lakers rumors! Any likes or comments are appreciated.

P and G till I D.I.E.

Lakers grounder since 2007
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

believeNmagic32 wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:

I don't see Zion going to New York. Of course there's a lottery in place, but i'm of the belief that the NBA determines the destinations of the truly transcendent players. I think they'll send him to Chicago and get that market right back in the mix or ship him to Atlanta. Fun young nucleus, major city that NEEDs star power to consistently put butts in the seats. The Knicks are getting KD and after Boston gets bounced they'll have a shot at Kyrie.

If that were the case then Cleveland doesn't get LBJ and Kyrie

Orlando doesn't get Shaq and Dwight

There is no evidence to support a rigged lottery.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Orlando and Cleveland getting number one picks made a ton of sense to me, same with the Pelicans.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

BELIEVE
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Clarke is definitely intriguing. I don't like a lot of prospects in this draft though.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

Garland is a bad fit?

How so?

He's a good outside shooter. Has to improve shot selection but what 19 y/o guard doesn't.

He's got the best handles in the draft and can get to the rim at will.

We need an attack guard next to Lonzo. Garland is that in spades.

I love Clarke though. He reminds me of Malcolm Brogdon in the sense that his game isn't all that pretty but he affects so many aspects of the game that they stick out.

I love culture changers. I think Lonzo is a culture changer offensively. I think Clarke is a culture changer defensively.

I think Cam Reddish is a VERY under-rated defensive prospect. He has the same tenacity and instincts on that end as Lonzo does now. Remember, Lonzo didn't come into the NBA with great defensive technique or footwork. IMHO, Cam is ahead of Lonzo and projects to be just as disruptive on the defensive end.

If any of those 3 fall to us, we should take them - period. If 2 or more are there, Cam/Garland/Clarke is my ranking but I'd change that if we knew for a fact which Free Agent we were getting (if any).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 133 of 441
Jump to: