Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
You guys gonna love this

Cam Reddish has as much talent as anyone else in this draft. If he's there at 11th, we should take him. He's the only player in this draft who has top 3 talent but had to play behind 2 other top 3 talents. He will transition a lot easier to growing into being a star than RJ.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

I'm still thinking our FO needs to bring Sekou and Bitadze in for a workout before they decide anything. Both look like they could have a lot of upside.

Btw, here's a couple of quotes I found today about Sekou and agree with.

“Sekou is very raw, but he can defend 1, 2, 3 and 4, he can play the 3, play the 4. He can do a lot of different things,” former coach Kyle Milling told CBSSports.com.

"He has the tools to play with ease at the 4, which is his best offensive position. Good athlete who can play above the rim in space. Fluid in transition," wrote ESPN draft analyst Mike Schmitz.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
White's median outcome is Lakers Clarkson w 38% 3s and slightly less paint attacking. He's a shooting guard passer, his ceiling there is rookie Clarkson

Clarkson came out of MIZZ as a junior who was still very raw in most aspects as a guard, especially feel for the game, understanding pace and decision-making.

White is coming out as a Freshman with advanced 3-level scoring skills, leading UNC to the NCAA tourney.

I don't think they are anything alike now nor does White project to be anything like Clarkson later. Clarkson's elite athleticism allowed him to get away with a lot of things White can't. Conversely, White's skills at this point allow him to a lot of things Clarkson couldn't at the same age.

I just don't buy Coby creating consistently/confidently off the dribble, he's shaky af setting up an offense or having to dribble for a long time...so w that said I don't buy the passing so much. He has special flashes of dribble moves..kinda like a great handling SG would, in spurts to beat his defender only.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

I’m guessing our draft pick is going to be paid about 5m per year if we stay at 11. How much if that will count against the cap? With capspace being so precious to this front office, it may determine if we trade or keep this pick.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
I'm still thinking our FO needs to bring Sekou and Bitadze in for a workout before they decide anything. Both look like they could have a lot of upside.

Btw, here's a couple of quotes I found today about Sekou and agree with.

“Sekou is very raw, but he can defend 1, 2, 3 and 4, he can play the 3, play the 4. He can do a lot of different things,” former coach Kyle Milling told CBSSports.com.

"He has the tools to play with ease at the 4, which is his best offensive position. Good athlete who can play above the rim in space. Fluid in transition," wrote ESPN draft analyst Mike Schmitz.

This. I just don't to miss another potential "giannis" in the making. Sekou Doumbaya.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

If Sekou isn't as long as Ingram, let alone Giannis... then he's unlikely to be the next Giannis.

Both Ingram and Giannis have 7 foot 3 wingspans... His reported span is 6 foot 11

Doesn't mean he won't be a good player, but it's Giannis's size and mobility that makes him so unique.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If Sekou isn't as long as Ingram, let alone Giannis... then he's unlikely to be the next Giannis.

Both Ingram and Giannis have 7 foot 3 wingspans... His reported span is 6 foot 11

Doesn't mean he won't be a good player, but it's Giannis's size and mobility that makes him so unique.

You're taking this too literally. I'm not really making predictions... and I think we're both just saying we hope the FO calls him for a work-out, and properly evaluates his potential with open minds (i.e., without deciding they are going to pick another player before the work-out). The same goes for the other international prospect, Bitadze.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

You're taking this too literally. I'm not really making predictions... and I think we're both just saying we hope the FO calls him for a work-out, and properly evaluates his potential with open minds (i.e., without deciding they are going to pick another player before the work-out). The same goes for the other international prospect, Bitadze.

I get that... but what makes Giannis and possibly Ingram later down the road special is that extra length.

If Randle was Giannis's size he'd be way more valuable.

If Shaq was Randle's size he'd have been way less dominant.

But my mind is open to these European players... I just am skeptical about anyone becoming Giannis without having the unique blend of handles and athleticism at that huge size.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
You guys gonna love this

Cam Reddish has as much talent as anyone else in this draft. If he's there at 11th, we should take him. He's the only player in this draft who has top 3 talent but had to play behind 2 other top 3 talents. He will transition a lot easier to growing into being a star than RJ.

I don’t think he’s gonna be there at 11th, more like 6th/7th spot, if we want him we likely need to trade up.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I get that... but what makes Giannis and possibly Ingram later down the road special is that extra length.

But my mind is open to these European players... I just am skeptical about anyone becoming Giannis without having the unique blend of handles and athleticism at that huge size.

Sekous' 6'9 height and 6'11 wingspan was measured when he was 17 years old or about 16 months ago. He is still 18 yrs old and would not even turn 19 until December 20, 2019. Sekou weighs in at 230 lbs right now at 18 yrs old. Giannis was 190 lbs at the same age. Big difference.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Sekous' 6'9 height and 6'11 wingspan was measured when he was 17 years old or about 16 months ago. He is still 18 yrs old and would not even turn 19 until December 20, 2019. Sekou weighs in at 230 lbs right now at 18 yrs old. Giannis was 190 lbs at the same age. Big difference.

Yeah, that's about Siakam's size although Pascal also has a 7' 3" wingspan

If he's grown significantly... then you can start making those comparisons.

But I definitely want to learn more about Sekou and Goga. Vertical leap and hand size would also be significant.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Ive become turned off to any player in this lottery who would be a liability on defense. One common thread you see with the best teams in the NBA is having an abundance of 2-way players on their team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

every time I hear "raw" preceded by an adjective to emphasize it, I think Bonga.....then I have a weird shiver, and pretend that prospect does not exist.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Yeah, that's about Siakam's size although Pascal also has a 7' 3" wingspan

If he's grown significantly... then you can start making those comparisons.

But I definitely want to learn more about Sekou and Goga. Vertical leap and hand size would also be significant.

As he physically matures Sekou will more resemble Serge Ibaka and also be similarly talented with potentially more wing skill.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
every time I hear "raw" preceded by an adjective to emphasize it, I think Bonga.....then I have a weird shiver, and pretend that prospect does not exist.

Did you watch him in the Gleague this year? At 18 years old he essentially played his college freshman season competing against 23-27 year old grown adults.

He held his own putting up good stats and showed the skills he did during his junior national days. Can play positions 1-4 dependent on match ups and will contribute to just about every stat column displaying an all-around game.

What I found pleasantly surprising is how good defensively he was and the effort he showed especially in help defense.

His 3pt shot is developing and should be solid league average if not better.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Did you watch him in the Gleague this year? At 18 years old he essentially played his college freshman season competing against 23-27 year old grown adults.

He held his own putting up good stats and showed the skills he did during his junior national days. Can play positions 1-4 dependent on match ups and will contribute to just about every stat column displaying an all-around game.

What I found pleasantly surprising is how good defensively he was and the effort he showed especially in help defense.

I saw his numbers in the GLeague which were not bad....but when I watched him on the court in the NBA he looks like he is absent any level of athletic fluidity....and I personally saw nothing that flashed future NBA contributor. I get he is young, but there are top level high schoolers I could throw out there that would struggle, but their talent would flash.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I saw his numbers in the GLeague which were not bad....but when I watched him on the court in the NBA he looks like he is absent any level of athletic fluidity....and I personally saw nothing that flashed future NBA contributor. I get he is young, but there are top level high schoolers I could throw out there that would struggle, but their talent would flash.

Watch his gleague highlights and you will see the athletic fluidity and flash NBA skills. Multiple 20pt games + 1 or 2 30 pointers. What you cannot appreciate from the highlights is his defense and effort.

I mentioned previously that I believe he hit the proverbial wall in the later part of the gleague season. He probably played more game minutes than he played the previous 3 combined not to mention against far stronger, bigger and athletic players.

The NBA games is just a lack of confidence as he was assertive in the gleague and how do you flash playing very limited minutes?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Watch his gleague highlights and you will see the athletic fluidity and flash NBA skills. Multiple 20pt games + 1 or 2 30 pointers. What you cannot appreciate from the highlights is his defense and effort.

I mentioned previously that I believe he hit the proverbial wall in the later part of the gleague season. He probably played more game minutes than he played the previous 3 combined not to mention against far stronger, bigger and athletic players.

The NBA games is just a lack of confidence as he was assertive in the gleague and how do you flash playing very limited minutes?

I hope you are correct. Honestly, you are the first Laker fan than i have asked this year that has responded with even a glimmer of hope....and I have asked more than a few times on this board about him potentially developing into a NBA caliber talent....before you, I have only received extremely negative responses.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Bonga is nice. But he wilts under the pressure of playing with superstars. Kuz, Zo, and BI don’t seem to be intimidated by that King pressure. They’re really somewhat insubordinate with the pecking order, it’s what endears me to the young three. In fact, I think that’s what they respect about eachother: unapologetic in their confidence. If Bonga can mature into that headspace, he’s going to be a major contributor to some to team.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I hope you are correct. Honestly, you are the first Laker fan than i have asked this year that has responded with even a glimmer of hope....and I have asked more than a few times on this board about him potentially developing into a NBA caliber talent....before you, I have only received extremely negative responses.

Well I wonder how many regularly watch Gleague games besides me? Always on the lookout for prospects. What I see in Bonga is similar to what I saw in Zubac. They have NBA translatable skills that just need further development along with physical strength and size.

I have commented about him in the past. Probably the South Bay Lakers thread or his own thread. If I saw you post a question I would have responded.

I also mentioned with some analysis of Jemerrio Jones.

My sleeper Gleague prospect from another team was BJ Johnson but Atlanta signed him near the end of the season.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Bonga is nice. But he wilts under the pressure of playing with superstars. Kuz, Zo, and BI don’t seem to be intimidated by that King pressure. They’re really somewhat insubordinate with the pecking order, it’s what endears me to the young three. In fact, I think that’s what they respect about eachother: unapologetic in their confidence. If Bonga can mature into that headspace, he’s going to be a major contributor to some to team.

You do realize he played most of this season as an 18 year old. Not sure what superstars you are referring to as we only have LBJ and Bonga rarely played with him.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

My new fav for the week is Luka Šamanić. Looks very skilled and athletic. He looks like he has good size and length.

Link
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Rek wrote:
Thanks. What I was reading said they had just over 54 million in cap space and then DLo's hold taking 21 million out of that. And those figures appeared to predate the Dinwiddie deal.

per Spotrac, they have $50,859,932 guaranteed next year which includes Dinwiddie and the stretch of Deron Williams. Add in DLo's cap hold, and it is $71,919,026. That would leave $37,080,974 in free cap space. They are about a $1 Million short of Durants max + a few roster charges. They would need to find $3-$4 Million to give Durant a full max and keep DLo's cap hold.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/brooklyn-nets/cap/2019/

Durant wants to sign, they can just waive and stretch Crabbe. That would open up space to sign Durant and sign another FA.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
White's median outcome is Lakers Clarkson w 38% 3s and slightly less paint attacking. He's a shooting guard passer, his ceiling there is rookie Clarkson

Clarkson came out of MIZZ as a junior who was still very raw in most aspects as a guard, especially feel for the game, understanding pace and decision-making.

White is coming out as a Freshman with advanced 3-level scoring skills, leading UNC to the NCAA tourney.

I don't think they are anything alike now nor does White project to be anything like Clarkson later. Clarkson's elite athleticism allowed him to get away with a lot of things White can't. Conversely, White's skills at this point allow him to a lot of things Clarkson couldn't at the same age.

I just don't buy Coby creating consistently/confidently off the dribble, he's shaky af setting up an offense or having to dribble for a long time...so w that said I don't buy the passing so much. He has special flashes of dribble moves..kinda like a great handling SG would, in spurts to beat his defender only.

White led UNC as a Freshman PG to the #8 Pace in the Nation, #18 Offensive Rating, #6 in total points and a 29-7 record all the way to being a #1 seed in the NCAA Tourney and making it to the Sweet 16. I don't think his ability to run a team is in question.

He's not a true PG. He's a combo guard. He's a good scoring guard. You do know he's like 6'5, right? He uses angles and handles to get where he needs to be. He's not going to blow you away with his speed but he has LEGIT NBA attack skills.

For reference, D'Angelo Russell came into the NBA lacking NBA foot speed or athleticism but could create space by using his handles and exploiting angles...Russell STILL doesn't have blow-by speed or NBA level lateral speed, as evidenced by his very poor man defense.

I'm a Duke fan. I still like Coby White. He projects as a combo guard who has all of the tools to be an efficient 3-level-scorer, able to post up smaller guards.

When you watch him play, you can see all of the fundamentals drilled into every aspect of his game. It's like he was raised and coached by a College Coach. From his jab step to his triple threat, he plays the right way. No wasted moves nor any flashy, unnecessary play. He looks like he's just going through practice drills in the game, which shows how much of a gym rat he is.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

White led UNC as a Freshman PG to the #8 Pace in the Nation, #18 Offensive Rating, #6 in total points and a 29-7 record all the way to being a #1 seed in the NCAA Tourney and making it to the Sweet 16. I don't think his ability to run a team is in question.

He's not a true PG. He's a combo guard. He's a good scoring guard. You do know he's like 6'5, right? He uses angles and handles to get where he needs to be. He's not going to blow you away with his speed but he has LEGIT NBA attack skills.

For reference, D'Angelo Russell came into the NBA lacking NBA foot speed or athleticism but could create space by using his handles and exploiting angles...Russell STILL doesn't have blow-by speed or NBA level lateral speed, as evidenced by his very poor man defense.

I'm a Duke fan. I still like Coby White. He projects as a combo guard who has all of the tools to be an efficient 3-level-scorer, able to post up smaller guards.

When you watch him play, you can see all of the fundamentals drilled into every aspect of his game. It's like he was raised and coached by a College Coach. From his jab step to his triple threat, he plays the right way. No wasted moves nor any flashy, unnecessary play. He looks like he's just going through practice drills in the game, which shows how much of a gym rat he is.

UNC's adjusted offensive rating the previous 4 years: #6, #9, #1, #11

I like Coby White, but I think UNC's offense might just be a Roy Williams thing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 136 of 441
Jump to: