Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
LKA wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LKA wrote:
FWIW Garland shot really well in high school as well at least from what I'm looking at from 2017-2018

89%FT and 51% from 3 ..

I've been looking for his high school stats. Where'd you find them?

I googled it and came across this.. only an 11 game sample size tho

https://www.prepcircuit.com/stats/team_instance/2875324?subseason=412391&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2545455

I'm not excited about a prospect that we haft to scrape up HS stats

That's all guys like Kobe and KG had back in the day.

Kobe had to go one-on-one vs. Michael Cooper in a private, pre-draft workout. 17 year old kid vs. 40-year old man. Kobe kicked his ass and West started looking for a trade partner.

Interesting draft strategy. We bring in players to go one on one against 40 year old Kobe Bryant and if anyone kicks his ass, we take a look at drafting him.

Make it happen Pelinka.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Funny how the narrative among the national media is that this is a 3 player draft.

I’m sure if the Lakers got #3, the narrative would be that this is a Zion/Morant draft.

Tough decision with the pick if they keep it. Garland, Reddish and Hunter seem like solid choices. Culver’s shooting is worrisome. I think Garland > White, but I do like Coby White.
PHILosopher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Over the last 10 years can anyone think of a prospect like Garland (a guard, with handles, shooting range, passing) that turned out to be a bust? Dante Exum comes to mind (not a complete bust, but certainly didn't live up to expectations) and the jury is still out on Fultz. Maybe Napier?

Edit: Johnny Flynn? Tyreke Evans?

Edit: I don't mean to imply that anyone mentioned above has the same talent as Garland. Just try to list highly touted top 10 guards who were flops. Maybe Mudiay?

Last edited by PHILosopher on Sat May 18, 2019 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Funny how the narrative among the national media is that this is a 3 player draft.

I’m sure if the Lakers got #3, the narrative would be that this is a Zion/Morant draft.

Tough decision with the pick if they keep it. Garland, Reddish and Hunter seem like solid choices. Culver’s shooting is worrisome. I think Garland > White, but I do like Coby White.

I think it's more that it's three safe picks and a lot of high risk choices beyond that. But I think there are some good potential players and we just have to be careful to hit the right one.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I think it's more that it's three safe picks and a lot of high risk choices beyond that. But I think there are some good potential players and we just have to be careful to hit the right one.

I mean I’ve seen a lot worse drafts. It’s just funny to hear “the Lakers won’t get much in a trade for #4 pick.”

Obviously it’s always an unknown but Garland has a lot of scoring PG in him (Dame/Kyrie type).

When I watched UVA, Hunter sometimes looked like a Kawhi clone. That’s unlikely but he does possess some of the same skills and game.

Reddish has a ton of talent and could easily be the best player or another Wiggins as some say but imo Barrett is in the same boom or bust category.

All this is probably moot anyway as it’s likely traded pick, but as soon as it’s traded the Lakers will be called morons for giving up a top pick and overlooking these players.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
LKA wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LKA wrote:
FWIW Garland shot really well in high school as well at least from what I'm looking at from 2017-2018

89%FT and 51% from 3 ..

I've been looking for his high school stats. Where'd you find them?

I googled it and came across this.. only an 11 game sample size tho

https://www.prepcircuit.com/stats/team_instance/2875324?subseason=412391&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2545455

I'm not excited about a prospect that we haft to scrape up HS stats

That's all guys like Kobe and KG had back in the day.

Kobe had to go one-on-one vs. Michael Cooper in a private, pre-draft workout. 17 year old kid vs. 40-year old man. Kobe kicked his ass and West started looking for a trade partner.

Interesting draft strategy. We bring in players to go one on one against 40 year old Kobe Bryant and if anyone kicks his ass, we take a look at drafting him.

Make it happen Pelinka.

Guess we won't be drafting anyone
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

PHILosopher wrote:
Over the last 10 years can anyone think of a prospect like Garland (a guard, with handles, shooting range, passing) that turned out to be a bust? Dante Exum comes to mind (not a complete bust, but certainly didn't live up to expectations) and the jury is still out on Fultz. Maybe Napier?

Flynn wasn't a shooter. Napier was small. They both were small actually. Garland isn't big in weight but he isn't short at least.

That's why I'm for picking him (if it's not Reddish). Because when you consider the modern NBA you think of a few things from a pg... range, ball handling and the p&r... if the players elite in these categories then you might have something special
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

PHILosopher wrote:

Exum had an average handle for an off-guard and couldn't shoot..
PHILosopher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
PHILosopher wrote:

Flynn wasn't a shooter. Napier was small. They both were small actually. Garland isn't big in weight but he isn't short at least.

That's why I'm for picking him (if it's not Reddish). Because when you consider the modern NBA you think of a few things from a pg... range, ball handling and the p&r... if the players elite in these categories then you might have something special

Yeah that's why I'm asking. I can't come up with a prospect like Garland who was a bust. So we should pick Garland!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm stoked about the #4 pick.
Solid talent available.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject:

PHILosopher wrote:

I don't think Garland and Exum had anything in common... but seems like guards who can score "at will" all thrive in the NBA
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject:

PHILosopher wrote:

Trae Young will be a bust
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PHILosopher wrote:

No
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

It's a one man draft, anyway.
Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

PHILosopher wrote:

Trey Burke isn't a complete bust, but he's been a disappointment as a top ten pick. His college highlight reel shows off his quicks, handle, and passing ability. He slashed 45%/36.7%/77.7% over two years, so he was a pretty decent shooter.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
This is why I dont mind Lakers selecting Sekou Doumbaya with the 4th pick...

Jonathan Givony [AT] DraftExpress
Follow Follow @DraftExpress
More
Career high 34 points (8/11 2P, 5/7 3P) 9 rebounds in 29 minutes for 18-year old projected lottery pick Sekou Doumbouya in an important win for Limoges tonight. Nice momentum for him going into the French playoffs starting next week.

12:57 PM - 18 May 2019

Honest question…what league does he play in and how does it compare to college basketball or other high level leagues?

he's not playing in an elite Euro league/division. not great. and he hasn't been above average this year there anyway

Not great?? An efficient 34 points in 29 minutes and 5-7 3 pointers? And you are high on THT with his abysmal below average shooting and checking out at the nba combine at 235 pounds for a 6'3 1/2 player?

I can't find a vid of his highlights from this game yet. Were you able to?

The stat sheet looks sweet... 29 mins, 13-18 FG, 5/7 3PT, 3/4 FT.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Sat May 18, 2019 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

This is a 8 player draft.

Zion
Morant
White
Culver
Barret
Reddish
Hachimura
Hunter
PHILosopher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:
PHILosopher wrote:

Trey Burke isn't a complete bust, but he's been a disappointment as a top ten pick. His college highlight reel shows off his quicks, handle, and passing ability. He slashed 45%/36.7%/77.7% over two years, so he was a pretty decent shooter.

Wow, yeah the highlight real is impressive! His college play didn't translate well to the NBA. I guess Garland might have the same downside risk.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
epak wrote:
PHILosopher wrote:

No

No
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
epak wrote:
PHILosopher wrote:

No

No

No
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
epak wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
epak wrote:
PHILosopher wrote:

No

No

No

Glad we agree
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
This is why I dont mind Lakers selecting Sekou Doumbaya with the 4th pick...

Jonathan Givony _at_ DraftExpress
Follow Follow @DraftExpress
More
Career high 34 points (8/11 2P, 5/7 3P) 9 rebounds in 29 minutes for 18-year old projected lottery pick Sekou Doumbouya in an important win for Limoges tonight. Nice momentum for him going into the French playoffs starting next week.

12:57 PM - 18 May 2019

Honest question…what league does he play in and how does it compare to college basketball or other high level leagues?

he's not playing in an elite Euro league/division. not great. and he hasn't been above average this year there anyway

Not great?? An efficient 34 points in 29 minutes and 5-7 3 pointers? And you are high on THT with his abysmal below average shooting and checking out at the nba combine at 235 pounds for a 6'3 1/2 player?

I can't find a vid of his highlights from this game yet. Were you able to?

The stat sheet looks sweet... 29 mins, 13-18 FG, 5/7 3PT, 3/4 FT.

I can't find the video.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject:

I guess it's a high level comp that Sekou's in but not the absolute highest..

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/05/16/updating-status-prospects-limited-accessible-film/ here's a few paragraphs on him... from a guy who has watched a good amount of games on him, and even tracked his development a bit through the years.

it ends with this
Quote:
"At the same time, he is one of the several young players in this class that is yet to show much of anything indicative of an NBA player in actual on-court situations."
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject:

I don't fully trust that Stepien article's judgement on Sekou's potential... because they seem to be judging his "development" from the same viewpoint that they would an NCAA player... forgetting that he is younger than everyone else in the draft and that even high schools in the US have better development facilities compared to his small club(s) in France... and are holding that against him instead of focussing on the raw tools available (as they probably should in this case). They are right about him lacking in the fundamentals, he has lots to learn and improve on... and there are question marks about his true age and focus... so he could go either way, boom or bust. But he just turned 18 in December and he should still be in high school... so we can't ignore all the surrounding context! Culver is 20, Hunter is 21, Clarke is 22... what were they like at age 18?

Anyway, I found a small clip with some brief highlights from his 34 point game yesterday. Nothing spectacular but here it is anyway.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Sun May 19, 2019 3:13 am; edited 5 times in total
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I'm stoked about the #4 pick.
Solid talent available.

It's getting bashed with all of the "It's only a three player draft" crap, but, if they don't already, a lot of teams will love that pick by the time it's called. Hope springs eternal, and more than one GM is going to convince themselves that they could get the next Kawhi or Giannis if they only had it ... I would think that teams are already pressing for it behind the scenes now, especially since it's essentially the new (lesser) No. 1 as the first three picks seem a lock.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 252 of 441
Jump to: