Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerchaq
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Because he had a really bad season..
how did he shoot so poorly 36-40%??
Lakerchaq
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject:

Garland:

The Lakers finally found their PG who is not a liability on offense. Fisher, Blake, Duhon, Caruso, Lonzo...

He played shooting guard which to me is the reason why he will end up better than Morant. He is the closest thing to curry in terms of coming off screens and firing. The kid just knows basketball he looks like CP3 navigating the interior of the defense while keeping his head up.

Fox, Beal mix
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject:

Lakerchaq wrote:
Garland:

The Lakers finally found their PG who is not a liability on offense. Fisher, Blake, Duhon, Caruso, Lonzo...

He played shooting guard which to me is the reason why he will end up better than Morant. He is the closest thing to curry in terms of coming off screens and firing. The kid just knows basketball he looks like CP3 navigating the interior of the defense while keeping his head up.

Fox, Beal mix

Smush, Chucky Atkins, old Payton... we haven't had a good point guard in a long time 🤣
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject:

Coby White also seems a good shooter.

6'4.75" with shoes, 6'5" wingspan, 8'2.5" standing reach, and seems quick enough. If Hunter is Papa Bear's porridge (NBA ready body and defense but not enough game outside 3&D)... and Garland is Mama Bear's porridge (good shooter and shot creation but smaller and potential liability on defense)... Coby might end up being Baby Bear's porridge (a good mix of both) as far as the FO is concerned.

Laugh if you must, but the Goldilocks analogy works in more ways than one... for the players... the situation we're in; draft BPA or for fit or both... and we wear purple and gold too!

Any news on who we intend to bring in for work-outs?
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject:

PassTheBooze wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
PassTheBooze wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
PassTheBooze wrote:
White and Garland apparently got promises with teams picking within the 1-6 range well to be more specific 4-6 cause the top 3 is pretty much set in stone.

Zion
Morant
Barrett
Garland
Culver
White

Is how I got it. If we don't take Garland that means Phoenix will but White still has a promise in the top 6. I'd be heated if we take him but its unlikely and Cleveland's fit is questionable. He seems a bit redundant with Sexton. So its seems either we're keeping Garland or trading him away

I'd be shocked if Culver went ahead of both Hunter and Reddish.

Cleveland would be choosing between Culver and Hunter. They can go either or. I see Cam going 7-10. Hunter and Culver are better prospects than Reddish

I disagree.

What makes Reddish a better prospect? He had an inefficient season at Duke where he wasn't even the focus of the opposing teams game plans. Physically impressive sure but not as good as scouts were making him out to be. He doesn't have great explosion off the dribble and he really struggles to finish at the rim in traffic. He puts up a lot of weird floater type shots because he can't quite turn the corner. He averaged more turnovers than assists and rocked a nice 49% TS. He's my pick to become the next Wiggins/Hezonja.

Cause he's smooth like KD.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Because he had a really bad season..

you had a really bad season
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:

6'4.75" with shoes, 6'5" wingspan, 8'2.5" standing reach, and seems quick enough. If Hunter is Papa Bear's porridge (NBA ready body and defense but not enough game outside 3&D)... and Garland is Mama Bear's porridge (good shooter and shot creation but smaller and potential liability on defense)... Coby might end up being Baby Bear's porridge (a good mix of both) as far as the FO is concerned.

Laugh if you must, but the Goldilocks analogy works in more ways than one... for the players... the situation we're in; draft BPA or for fit or both... and we wear purple and gold too!

I really like White, and I think he's going to be a very good NBA player.

I can't shake the feeling that White (unlike, let's say the tiny Garland) is a SG playing PG. White's average/below average handle for the PG position limit his playmaking and he doesn't see the full court and misses passes you want your PG to be able to make. Because of it he also doesn't pass it off the bounce and in timing as someone with a better handle. He's still pretty rudimentary in that regard.

A little too much Kris Dunn maybe..
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

The Lakers need to make a handshake deal with the Wizards to have them make a pick to be dealt after free agency for Beal. If we pick up another superstar like Kawahi, Beal would be a great complementary piece. If we do not pick up another star, Beal would still be the sharpshooter that could compliment Lebron. Either way, it would be best to make a handshake deal right now to secure at least our second star next to Lebron.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

PDX_LAKERFAN wrote:
The Lakers need to make a handshake deal with the Wizards to have them make a pick to be dealt after free agency for Beal. If we pick up another superstar like Kawahi, Beal would be a great complementary piece. If we do not pick up another star, Beal would still be the sharpshooter that could compliment Lebron. Either way, it would be best to make a handshake deal right now to secure at least our second star next to Lebron.

FWIW, with respect to their FO.

Quote:
Denver Nuggets President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly is remaining with the franchise, league sources tell ESPN. Connelly met with Washington owner Ted Leonsis on Friday about running the Wizards.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1130470950900850688?s=21
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:

I can't shake the feeling that White (unlike, let's say the tiny Garland) is a SG playing PG. White's average/below average handle for the PG position limit his playmaking and he doesn't see the full court and misses passes you want your PG to be able to make. Because of it he also doesn't pass it off the bounce and in timing as someone with a better handle. He's still pretty rudimentary in that regard.

Agreed, he seems more of a scoring or combo guard than a true PG. That's why I'm thinking he might be a good option at SG with Lonzo continuing at PG. White's passing/vision/handling may not be good enough for the PG position, but it'll be good enough and welcome at SG... especially compared to KCP/Hart/Lance?

Have you any thoughts about his defense? I'm going off highlights and none that I've seen really show or say anything about that. NBADraft rates his defense at 8 vs 7 for Garland, on a scale of 10.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

PDX_LAKERFAN wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'd pull the 4th pick for Beal trade every time, but I'm not sure the Wizard are up for it.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Agreed, he does seem more of a scoring or combo guard than a true PG. And that's why I'm thinking he might be a good option at SG with Lonzo continuing at PG. White's passing/vision/handling may not be good enough for the PG position, but it'll be good enough and welcome at SG... especially compared to KCP/Hart/Lance?

Have you any thoughts about his defense?

Had we stayed at the #11 pick, I would have hoped White fell to us. I (obviously) wouldn't take him at 4 because I think there is someone better than him there.

Lonzo hasn't shown me enough to convince me he's the PG of the future, and although he's my favorite Laker, he's got some glaring weaknesses that I'm not sure any team with championship aspirations can absorb in the starting rotation.

As for defense, it's much harder for me to project a players ability to play defense, as I think defense at the NBA level is so much more team oriented than staying in front of folks. With that said, unlike Tiny D.Garland, he projects to be able to switch on to bigger SGs much easier. And I think White has enough athleticism and size to not be a glaring negative defending either back court positions.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

Is "Tiny" Garland going to become today's thing?
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

GreekTrojan wrote:
PDX_LAKERFAN wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'd pull the 4th pick for Beal trade every time, but I'm not sure the Wizard are up for it.

Yeah I agree. The question is what else they would want.
They have no urgency to trade him.
He's not an expiring and he's made no demands to get moved, in fact, he seems to like it there and they like him.
Beal for #4, of course, but the Wiz are not doing that.
They'd want Ingram, Kuz, #4 and several 1st rounders in all likelihood.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
GreekTrojan wrote:
PDX_LAKERFAN wrote:

He's not an expiring and he's made no demands to get moved, in fact, he seems to like it there and they like him.

You guys realize his contract is like 27 mil. We would have to trade BI, Lonzo, #4 pick plus filler to make numbers work. He makes more than AD next season. We would have to give MORE for Beal than AD. NOT happening unless there is a way to do a sign and trade with one of our FA's which I dont think is legal???
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:

Just for you LAL1947, lol

LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

Just for you LAL1947, lol

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
I am fine with Garland. I think he is a CJ McCollum at worse

Wow that’s the same comparison I was gonna make.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

Lakerchaq wrote:
Garland:

Fox, Beal mix

Yeah, the more I am seeing and reading, Garland seems to be the guy at #4. Reminds me of Lillard and Beal
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
GreekTrojan wrote:
PDX_LAKERFAN wrote:

You guys realize his contract is like 27 mil. We would have to trade BI, Lonzo, #4 pick plus filler to make numbers work. He makes more than AD next season. We would have to give MORE for Beal than AD. NOT happening unless there is a way to do a sign and trade with one of our FA's which I dont think is legal???

And there is a similar player who is a free agent that we could go after, Kemba Walker. Personally, I'd MUCH rather get Kemba then trade multiple 1st rounders and 2 of our young guys.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
GreekTrojan wrote:
PDX_LAKERFAN wrote:

Do not need the numbers to work if he is traded into our cap space.....we could literally trade the rights to some draft pick we never signed (if we still have any of those) for Beal if the Wizards wanted to give him away.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:

You're the only one that can't accept the fact that he's not undersized
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:

Yesssss

Lakers need a SG, coby white is exactly that. The Lakers wanted to make sure they got Jason Kid,that tells me Ball is not going anywhere.

Look for the Lakers to take a SG or Forward with the lotto pick
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

You're the only one that can't accept the fact that he's not undersized

If Darius skipped the combine and we don't have his actual current measurements... and I haven't seen anything of him since the last college game he played last year... how am I supposed to know if he is under-sized or not? The last time he was officially measured (and that I can find online) says this:

Quote:
"Notes: Measured: 6'2" in shoes, 6'0.5" barefoot, 175 lbs, 6'5" wingspan, 8'1" standing reach at the 2018 Nike Hoop Summit.

I consider 6'0" under-sized... and think a player needs to have elite skills at that size to be a starter or picked in the lottery... or else we'd be handicapping ourselves (intentionally). I'm also admitting that he might have grown taller and bulked up since then. Either way, I'm not opposed to signing him if he is BPA... I only asked if we might benefit more from signing another player who might be more "NBA ready" (young, smaller players usually need a longer period of adjustment) and if there were concerns about his defense because of his size (Mike seems to know a lot about DG, and I was wanting to hear his (and others') thoughts on DG's defense). You kinda got stuck on the size thing though instead of these other questions.

Anyway, let's not rehash that convo please? I got the answers/discussion I was looking for yesterday.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon May 20, 2019 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakerchaq
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

Yesssss

Lakers need a SG, coby white is exactly that. The Lakers wanted to make sure they got Jason Kid,that tells me Ball is not going anywhere.

Look for the Lakers to take a SG or Forward with the lotto pick
You think Garland would of left the combine if anyone outside the top 3 not named th lLakers made a promise?

He is obviously the person who we are picking.

LOl @ a coby and lonzo backcourt
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 270 of 441
Jump to: