Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 295, 296, 297 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/1131368592732065793?s=20 described an issue with Reddish's form here. It's always looked smooth and everyone knew he'd be a workout warrior

come on KIROE, do not do that.....this is NBA Draft Twitter minion code for "this is how we hedge our narrative when this guy blows everyone away in workouts to prevent the narrative from changing". I never heard "workout beast" associated with Reddish until a couple weeks ago when people started identifying all the positive attributes he has as an athletic player.

"workout warriors" is a common thing every year in the draft. "oh he'll look great in a workout"... plenty of players do every year.

as I said....associated with Reddish. None of those guys that have hated on Reddish all season were tagging him with "workout warrior or beast" in March. I have heard that associated with Ja Morant, Nassir Little and Brandon Clarke all season.....but is suddenly was associated with Reddish when some intelligent people begin to push back on the narrative.

With people who I associate with or follow it was always a thing for him. If it was a thing for Nasir Little.. it could certainly be a thing for Reddish.... Reddish isn't looked at by some as an above average athlete but I always thought he was.. and he's a good practice shooter I guess, and a solid smooth ball handler. A lot of people were saying he's gunna look great in workouts, for sure

If you look at his AAU and high school numbers, they suggest he is more than a good practice shooter. That said, do you have a theory on why he has never finished well? I read scouting reports before Duke that mentioned his lack of efficiency finishing, but never detail why.....then most of the video from that time is more highlight driven.

He shot 33% from 3 in AAU.. And he has a 6 game HS sample on record which is good (from the HS line)
And no i haven't looked at his finishing enough...

what year? the numbers I cam across were rough...broken out in parts of the EYBL. I did see he shot 30% on the EYBL circuit....he shot much better @ Peach Jam in 2017....then he shot much better in high school his final year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

cvballa wrote:
Garland is clearly the guy most likely to contribute right away (shooting) and reach his upside. I like culver too, but his immediate impact and odds he reaches his potential are lower.

Always take the higher skill guy. Skill wins games in the nba. Size is just an added bonus.

Outside of special players most young point guards really struggle as rookies and need a season or two for their shooting to translate. Garland could certainly have a higher ceiling than Culver, but I'd bet on Culver - older, more physically mature, not coming off knee surgery - to be less bad than Garland as a rookie due primarily to his defense being the most likely skill between the two to translate immediately.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
So is everyone leaning toward Cam with the 4th pick?

all I am saying....if this is the hill you are dying on this year....then I will not be forgetting. My list on draft night is the one I will stand by....and will be reminding people. I took heat on Josh Jackson, which never really bothered me except when it came from people who were high on Lonzo....but I never called out names over Mitchell Robinson last year....even though many were on the record tearing down my preference and laughing in the draft thread. So have your preference list on record.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject:

here's another issue that comes with the outward release/followthrough --- smaller players are able to contest. his arm gets smacked here on the follow-through..(which refs hardly ever call this smack). Another reason for misses aside from trajectory
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

all I am saying....if this is the hill you are dying on this year....then I will not be forgetting. My list on draft night is the one I will stand by....and will be reminding people. I took heat on Josh Jackson, which never really bothered me except when it came from people who were high on Lonzo....but I never called out names over Mitchell Robinson last year....even though many were on the record tearing down my preference and laughing in the draft thread. So have your preference list on record.

My post was directed at the master troll IG not at you.

Secondly, you seem to think Lonzo has been a bad player overall when he obviously hasn't been when healthy. Josh Jackson has been bad for his first two years; Lonzo has shot terribly and been injured, but also has been a net positive due to his defense and low usage facilitating. Heck, I had Malik Monk #3 and Josh Jackson #5 ahead of Tatum at #8 and Fox at #12. Those are the predictions I regret so far. I don't regret having Lonzo and freak injury Fultz as my top two picks in 2017 - at least not yet.

Thirdly, great call on Mitchell Robinson. I hedged my bets and only had him in the late teens on my board last year.

Lastly, Cam Reddish has the chance to be a useful to good NBA player. That's good - there's nothing wrong with role-players. I think he has a low floor without the high ceiling to compensate so he'd be a late-teens pick on my draft board. If I thought he had elite shooting upside, I'd be a lot more bullish on him as a top 10 pick, but nothing in his shooting profile except for 3FGAs gives me any hope he'll be much more than league average from deep. And without elite shooting he's never going to have the space to create efficiently off the bounce because he lacks burst, wiggle, and vertical pop.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

To change the subject a bit, if you had to pick another PG besides Morant and Garland (I guess) who could develop into an All-Star who would you pick?

White? NAW (is he a PG?)? Edwards? Ponds? Robinson? Jerome? Bone? Clemons? Waters? Someone else?
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

If the pick is kept , DG is the safe choice to me

Yes the NBA can be a difficult transition for young guards but you have to think, if we have LeBron and add another star in FA that isn't a pg then how much would really be on DG's shoulder? Not much. He could play off ball and let the game come to him.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

To change the subject a bit, if you had to pick another PG besides Morant and Garland (I guess) who could develop into an All-Star who would you pick?

White? NAW (is he a PG?)? Edwards? Ponds? Robinson? Jerome? Bone? Clemons? Waters? Someone else?

I think White and NAW are pretty similar offensive position wise (combos. both def not lead guards. NAW maybe might be more of one). But I'd say White is the next allstar guard
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:

Yes the NBA can be a difficult transition for young guards but you have to think, if we have LeBron and add another star in FA that isn't a pg then how much would really be on DG's shoulder? Not much. He could play off ball and let the game come to him.

Alex Caruso will be better than Darius Garland next year.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:

hopefully
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LKA wrote:

hopefully

For AC's sake.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LKA wrote:

hopefully

For AC's sake.

yep. some of that late year skill gotta be real
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Secondly, you seem to think Lonzo has been a bad player overall when he obviously hasn't been when healthy. Josh Jackson has been bad for his first two years; Lonzo has shot terribly and been injured, but also has been a net positive due to his defense and low usage facilitating. Heck, I had Malik Monk #3 and Josh Jackson #5 ahead of Tatum at #8 and Fox at #12. Those are the predictions I regret so far. I don't regret having Lonzo and freak injury Fultz as my top two picks in 2017 - at least not yet.

Thirdly, great call on Mitchell Robinson. I hedged my bets and only had him in the late teens on my board last year.

Lastly, Cam Reddish has the chance to be a useful to good NBA player. That's good - there's nothing wrong with role-players. I think he has a low floor without the high ceiling to compensate so he'd be a late-teens pick on my draft board. If I thought he had elite shooting upside, I'd be a lot more bullish on him as a top 10 pick, but nothing in his shooting profile except for 3FGAs gives me any hope he'll be much more than league average from deep. And without elite shooting he's never going to have the space to create efficiently off the bounce because he lacks burst, wiggle, and vertical pop.

Master troll? all I’m saying is that it seems like lots of people want Reddish with the 4th pick... from reading the reactions on Twitter but if I’m a master troll then let’s hope that makes you feel better.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Master troll? all I’m saying is that it seems like lots of people want Reddish with the 4th pick... from reading the reactions on Twitter but if I’m a master troll then let’s hope that makes you feel better.

I love you so much.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:

Oh you can see into the future? Nice
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Oh, and Jontay Porter shed 20 pounds during his rehab. Some folks thought he might go full butterball this past year.

So what I'm saying is, "draft Jontay at #4, you cowards!"
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Is THT a guard in your eyes?

If so..him (I think he is)
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject:

If I trusted the Lakers’ player development I might take a closer look at Reddish. I’m out on those shooting %s I’ve been reading though. If he blows up I’m OK with LAL missing out.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I guess I would go with White, but there would not be much conviction behind it. I see White as more of a 6th man scorer on a good team. I do not consider NAW a PG....I know he played some while Robinson was out, but I would be lying if I claimed to have watched much film of that period. If Edwards was a little taller, I would be tempted to go with him....and I have a soft spot for Bone, but it is the kind of soft spot that has got me in trouble before.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:

Is THT a guard in your eyes?

If so..him (I think he is)

I think he'll be a SG who moves up to SF for stretches. Do you see him running PnR eventually in the pros?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Oh, and Jontay Porter shed 20 pounds during his rehab. Some folks thought he might go full butterball this past year.

So what I'm saying is, "draft Jontay at #4, you cowards!"

I saw his bf% was down a decent amount....but still higher than others. Some guys are just never going to have a low %, so not really worried about it this year....was more concerned last year because I thought it was clear he did not even prepare.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
LKA wrote:

Oh you can see into the future? Nice

Yes

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think White and NAW are pretty similar offensive position wise (combos. both def not lead guards. NAW maybe might be more of one). But I'd say White is the next allstar guard

Not a fan of Ponds?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Not a fan of Ponds?

he's got a decent shot to be a solid player - backup PG.. early mid 20s guy for me
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Hey Baron how would you rank the potential of these players in order

Jarret Culver
DeAndre Hunter
Darius Garland
RJ Barrett
Cam Reddish
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 295, 296, 297 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 296 of 441
Jump to: