Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
What are the thoughts on Bruno Fernando?

Seems to be limited on offense but a high energy defensive player with potential. Kind of a Capela/Noel possibility?

My reasoning-

- Lakers are most likely picking in the low/mid 20s.
- Center looks to be the biggest necessity. Especially defensive and rebounding energy. McGee and Zubac are question marks.
- Lakers seem guard and SF heavy. Especially if they land one of the max free agents. PG being the other potential "need".

Any other centers fit the description and potentially available near the Lakers pick I should be watching this season?

1. Issues with hands under contact, takes bad shots under strong, forified post defense, despite having large hands.
2. More offensive oriented than Capela and Noel, due to role in Maryland. I think he's an underrated defender, because Noel and Capela were weaker post defenders early on, always went for the swat. Bruno is more of a balance, better position defender, but still a rim protector. Really underrated combination rebound rate and block rate.
3. Limited offensive feel; never really kicks out for shots; abnormally high TO% given offensive USG, some directly related to touch.
4. Mid-range jumpshot potential is there, and definitely ahead of Noel/Capela but age/experience.
5. Forget biggest "need", he may be the BPA. Unfortunately, I think it's a weaker draft in terms of depth, so I wouldn't be surprised if he went mid-late 1st, but before the Laker pick.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Mike, I still want your thoughts on Zion as Hefty Jordan.

I can see why you say Hefty Jordan, especially with the way he handles the ball and needs very little gather to get tremendous vert. By age, even their jumpshots (set shots) are respectively the same for now.

But, I definitely haven't seen enough of UNC Jordan to make any criticisms of his playmaking abilities. I know that MJ was a very high USG drive/kick guy early in his career, but even in the exhibition games, Williamson showed hints of advanced reads and passes that were cross court.

Do I think he'll be a 27/6/6 dude career? Way too early to tell. I think part of MJ's dominance was due to far reduced athletic competition at his position. Even Clyde Drexler was a tier or two lower in terms of that kind of athleticism outside of vertical and straight speed. But, people also forget the absurd motor MJ had, and that's what separated him from everybody. It wasn't just the quickness/strength/speed/vert/lateral, but how often it was repeated on the basketball floor.

If Williamson shows hints of that kind of motor (and frankly, who knows with the change in his diet and strength training program at his age), then sure, it's definitely possible that he's a #1 pick.

All the emphasis is on wings, but if there's a big that shows 1 or 2-way wing ability? Even better.

Great thoughts. I'm also most interested in seeing Zion's motor and fight on the court - does he have the dog in him that Nassir Little does? - especially on defense. He may be able to average 4 stocks per40 on freakish athletic ability and a modicum of effort, but I also want to see him rise to the challenge of getting stops down the stretch of close games.

I think it's a big transition for him, because he literally outsized/athleticized his HS competition so handedly. At least he may actually go up against some upperclassmen who can compete physically against him.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Is Shaq's kid a top 50 draft prospect?

He needs to shoot. Even then...

PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
what do you guys think of Bruno Mars?

Too short imo. Even if he shows Nate Robinson athleticism, it won’t be enough.

And he’s already 32.9 years old, more than 10.1 of the average college Senior. So I think his upside is limited.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Giannis' brother got drafted and he barely played at Dayton so I'm pretty sure Shaq's kid will get drafted based off his name alone. He doesn't look too impressive though.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

Stephon Marbury says Zion Williamson is 'way better than' LeBron James and 'it's not even close'

Quote:
"Zion is going to destroy the whole planet," Marbury said. "Zion is way better than LeBron, it's not even close ... He don't have to touch a basketball and he's better than LeBron James. I said that."

LINK

Marbury is BVH?????
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Stephon Marbury says Zion Williamson is 'way better than' LeBron James and 'it's not even close'

Quote:
"Zion is going to destroy the whole planet," Marbury said. "Zion is way better than LeBron, it's not even close ... He don't have to touch a basketball and he's better than LeBron James. I said that."

LINK

Marbury is BVH?????

(bleep)
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
Giannis' brother got drafted and he barely played at Dayton so I'm pretty sure Shaq's kid will get drafted based off his name alone. He doesn't look too impressive though.

The other Antetokounmpo brothers didn't take to as much weight training and other requisite skills like Giannis.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

OSU PG/SG Michael Weathers arrested on felony larceny charges for stealing someone's wallet at a bar: Link
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Not draft specific...but we talk about the high school kids in this thread.

I am upset. WVU has been recruiting big man Oscar Tshiebwe out of Kennedy Catholic in Pennsylvania for over 2 years. He was basically the guy that followed Sagaba Konate @ Kennedy Catholic. When we began to recruit him, he was either a 3 Star or low 4 Star prospect. We were the first major offer he got, and have been all over him for a couple years. All the major media sites that cover recruiting had him penciled into WVU.....and over the last 2 years, he rose to become a 5 Star prospect and the #1 Player in PA. Still....everyone pointed to WVU even as Kansas, Georgetown, Virginia and many others made offers.

Then this summer as it became clear that Kentucky would likely lose James Wiseman to Penny Hardaway and Memphis, they began to sniff around Tshiebwe....and offered him in recent weeks. Now all the experts are claiming it is between WVU and UK! 2019 is likely going to only be a 3 player class for WVU, and we have 1 commit, and were basically only heavily recruiting Tshiebwe and Kenyon Martin to complete the 2019 class. Tshiebwe would be the first 5 Star we have landed in recent history.

I absolutely hate these "blue bloods" swooping in during the final weeks to try to steal a recruit when they are unable to get the guy they wanted. He visits UK next week....then has his final official visit the following week @ WVU....I hope being in the cleanup spot is a good sign for WVU. #HoldingMyBreath
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

The Stepien's Jackson Hoy puts out his preseason 2019 draft top 100 list: Link

His top five are pretty standard - Zion, Barrett, Little, Redmond, Bol - but things get very interesting thereafter.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Marbury is BVH?????

If Lebron and MJ are debatable, then what does that make Zion being "way better" than Lebron? Already the GOAT and hasn't played 1 NBA game. WOW!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

6’7 with 6’10 arms and can’t shoot. But 285 pounds and jumps like Shawn Kemp.

I’m gonna be make this black or white: Zion is either Lebron James or Anthony Bennett.

Or the gray area: a rich man’s Julius Randle.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

I’m gonna be make this black or white: Zion is either Lebron James or Anthony Bennett.

His jump shot looks good imo.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Anthony Bennett never jumped like Shawn Kemp, fwiw.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

So if a player goes undrafted and returns to the NCAA, are they concurrently an NBA unrestricted free agent?
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

How good is Zion?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
So if a player goes undrafted and returns to the NCAA, are they concurrently an NBA unrestricted free agent?

The recent NCAA rule change was retroactive for student athletes that stayed in for the 2018 draft?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Zion is a beast when he heads to the basket and he's still a
kid. Personally I hate to compare some of these new guys with
their special skills sets to known players.

If anyone wants a feel for Zion, watch a few of his games; it's
pretty clear what he brings and what he needs to develop.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I am upset. WVU has been recruiting big man Oscar Tshiebwe out of Kennedy Catholic in Pennsylvania for over 2 years. He was basically the guy that followed Sagaba Konate @ Kennedy Catholic. When we began to recruit him, he was either a 3 Star or low 4 Star prospect. We were the first major offer he got, and have been all over him for a couple years. All the major media sites that cover recruiting had him penciled into WVU.....and over the last 2 years, he rose to become a 5 Star prospect and the #1 Player in PA. Still....everyone pointed to WVU even as Kansas, Georgetown, Virginia and many others made offers.

Then this summer as it became clear that Kentucky would likely lose James Wiseman to Penny Hardaway and Memphis, they began to sniff around Tshiebwe....and offered him in recent weeks. Now all the experts are claiming it is between WVU and UK! 2019 is likely going to only be a 3 player class for WVU, and we have 1 commit, and were basically only heavily recruiting Tshiebwe and Kenyon Martin to complete the 2019 class. Tshiebwe would be the first 5 Star we have landed in recent history.

I absolutely hate these "blue bloods" swooping in during the final weeks to try to steal a recruit when they are unable to get the guy they wanted. He visits UK next week....then has his final official visit the following week @ WVU....I hope being in the cleanup spot is a good sign for WVU. #HoldingMyBreath

WVU is going to have to up its contract offer for sure. Yeah, I said it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

WVU is going to have to up its contract offer for sure. Yeah, I said it.

bro if we have been paying for players, then we have been doing it wrong. Decision expected any day....some reporting suggests he still leans WVU.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
How good is Zion?

Really good. If they could see past the bigness, he'd still be a hell of a prospect.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Dean Damakis offers up some contrarian early takes on the 2019 draft class with Nassir Little being his early target for overhype: Link
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
How good is Zion?

Potentially elite depending on his motor, work ethic, and jumper. He looks like a generational athlete with a legit foundation of guard skills in an NFL DE's body. Injuries may be a long-term concern given how he plays at his size.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Very few ever jumped like Kemp.

AB still had good hops.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 5 of 441
Jump to: