Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

What’s up with guys with the name Porter getting signficant injury?

Last year it was Michael Porter Jr and this year it’s Jontay Porter.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Same bloodline?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

@The Stepien:
For context, Morant was 18/69 (26%) on pull-up 3s in the half court this year (pre-tournament). He's now 6/6 in the tournament. Showing he can beat under coverage from NBA range which is big. Let's see if he can beat more over and drop. FSU D/scheme is outstanding for projection.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Same bloodline?

yes brothers

@Keegan Pope:
Just awful news for Jontay Porter. And an unprecedented run of bad injury luck for the Porter family. A potentially chronic back injury for Michael, five torn ACLs for Brianna, one for Cierra and now two for Jontay.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Brandon Clarke is so damn active, high energy and intelligent. And he can switch and defend 1-5... I would draft him at #8 even though he will never be a star offensively.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Same bloodline?

yes brothers

@Keegan Pope:
Just awful news for Jontay Porter. And an unprecedented run of bad injury luck for the Porter family. A potentially chronic back injury for Michael, five torn ACLs for Brianna, one for Cierra and now two for Jontay.

Sucks for him-- and he probably goes undrafted because of it, but when he recovers his game was not predicated on athleticism which bodes well for his ability to contribute and play in the NBA.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Clarke will be gone before we pick.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

Maybe. The age could drop him down.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

jg77 wrote:
Coby White...a better passing Gary Harris?

He's an OJ Mayo clone to me. Maybe not quite the handle, but more disciplined.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
yah if Zion doesnt go 1st it would be the biggest mistake a franchise has ever done. although BArrett looks good he just doesnt have the promise Zion has. literally i think its the next coming of LEbron just by his freakish athletism. also very efficent on offense. shotting like 70% in the ACC tourney

Barrett's stock has lost steam strictly as a result of playing next to Zion. He's supremely skilled and has even a bit of the demeanor reminiscent of Russell Westbrook or Kobe Bryant.

I think RJ will be a fantastic pro. If this were last year, I would rank him just under Luka and Ayton. He's an elite level prospect.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
a2j1m wrote:
yah if Zion doesnt go 1st it would be the biggest mistake a franchise has ever done. although BArrett looks good he just doesnt have the promise Zion has. literally i think its the next coming of LEbron just by his freakish athletism. also very efficent on offense. shotting like 70% in the ACC tourney

Barrett's stock has lost steam strictly as a result of playing next to Zion. He's supremely skilled and has even a bit of the demeanor reminiscent of Russell Westbrook or Kobe Bryant.

I think RJ will be a fantastic pro. If this were last year, I would rank him just under Luka and Ayton. He's an elite level prospect.

I don't get how his stock has dropped due to playing next to Zion when he's taking 6 more FGAs per game than Williamson. Shouldn't some of those FGAs be going to Zion instead given the vast discrepancy in efficiency between the two? It seems odd that Barrett would be negatively affected next to a far superior player - that doesn't bode well for his NBA future, does it?

Now Barrett should have an easier time getting to the rim in the pros with better spacing, but he doesn't have a ton of wiggle, he's not especially vertically explosive in traffic, his handle is somewhat rudimentary at this point, and his inbetween/floater game is basically nonexistent. I buy into the scoring motor and him becoming a good, but not great shooter, but I can't see that adding up to much more than a better DeRozan (damn good outcome in this draft, no question, but very far from Luka, JJJ, Fultz, etc. as a prospect).
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Practice wrote:

We've heard rumbling of teams moving away from age being a deterrent.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

I think RJ's stock is still extremely high in NBA front offices. It is mostly NBA Twitter who tries to drive down RJ's value. They did the same thing last year with Bagley, always claiming how Wendell Carter Jr. was better than Bagley and all other bigs in the draft.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Practice wrote:

I have not even heard a whisper that suggests that age is no longer a factor. I am not saying it will not happen, but I will have to see a NBA team use a Top 10 pick on a guy that will be 23 years old when his rookie season starts to believe it. Just think about how many 21, 22, and 23 year old guys in the NBA that would dominate the NCAA Tournament.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

I don't get how his stock has dropped due to playing next to Zion when he's taking 6 more FGAs per game than Williamson. Shouldn't some of those FGAs be going to Zion instead given the vast discrepancy in efficiency between the two? It seems odd that Barrett would be negatively affected next to a far superior player - that doesn't bode well for his NBA future, does it?

Now Barrett should have an easier time getting to the rim in the pros with better spacing, but he doesn't have a ton of wiggle, he's not especially vertically explosive in traffic, his handle is somewhat rudimentary at this point, and his inbetween/floater game is basically nonexistent. I buy into the scoring motor and him becoming a good, but not great shooter, but I can't see that adding up to much more than a better DeRozan (damn good outcome in this draft, no question, but very far from Luka, JJJ, Fultz, etc. as a prospect).

It hasn't dropped at all. It just lost steam, as in they hype is no longer there. Zion's stock rose as a result of this college season AND he was already the most hyped prep player in the nation. Going to college for him was absolutely beneficiary. For Barrett, I don't think his stock really budged and I would assume most pro scouts see him for what they thought he was. Supremely skilled, tenacious, amazing physical tools, and a scorer mentality. The only thing that changed is that Zion went from like the #4 prospect to the the unquestioned #1 due to his play. Barrett became default #2, but not because he's disappointed.

As far as his game, I disagree, Barrett is absolutely explosive in traffic. He is a high level athlete. He is ridiculously skilled, especially for a 18-19 year old, in his ability to score the ball. He's a three level player, with a good handle for wing. He can be a playmaker, and he has shown he can effect the game positively even when his shot isn't falling. He's going to be a great player especially in the NBA which will do a much better job of showcasing his skill set.

Depending on the team he goes to obviously, he's my early ROY pick for next season.

Last edited by ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Practice wrote:

I can see Atlanta (because they could have two top 10 picks) or Washington (because they believe they have a playoff roster and thus want a contributing player) taking him.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Practice wrote:
Practice wrote:

I have not even heard a whisper that suggests that age is no longer a factor. I am not saying it will not happen, but I will have to see a NBA team use a Top 10 pick on a guy that will be 23 years old when his rookie season starts to believe it. Just think about how many 21, 22, and 23 year old guys in the NBA that would dominate the NCAA Tournament.

That's not what I'm saying. Teams will obvious prefer a younger player, but it seems like they are moving away from passing up certain players who look good and will definitely be able to contribute just because they are a year or two older.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Practice wrote:
Practice wrote:

That's not what I'm saying. Teams will obvious prefer a younger player, but it seems like they are moving away from passing up certain players who look good and will definitely be able to contribute just because they are a year or two older.

you may be correct, but I still have doubts. NBA FO's have long been terrified to pass on "potential". I like Clarke....I think he will likely have a very solid NBA career at a minimum, but I think most teams will struggle to start him unless he develops a shot and an ability to create a little. I have seen nothing to suggest that will happen, and again, he is coming into the NBA at 23 years old.

I did not watch the entire game tonight, but I probably saw about 20 of his points, and they were all within 2 feet of the basket....and much of them were "garbage style" field goals. That said, I think the NBA needs more players that can go out and score when the offense is not ran for them.....but I am hesitant to believe NBA front offices will view this skill highly as they probably should.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

one player that I have seen flashes from over the last month is Quentin Grimes (Kansas). He came in this year as a 5 Star and Top 10 player in the country that was supposed to be a lottery pick this summer. I assume he will return to Kansas after having an unimpressive season, but I expect him to have a big year next season. I can see David McCormack also having a big year for Kansas next season.

If Grimes did try to come out this year....I would consider grabbing him in the 2nd round....the potential is clearly there.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

if Bryce Brown (PG Auburn) was a little taller......he is 6'3", but to me he clearly is a SG in a PG body. He can shoot and defend well....maybe work with a tall/longer PG in the back court?
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
if Bryce Brown (PG Auburn) was a little taller......he is 6'3", but to me he clearly is a SG in a PG body. He can shoot and defend well....maybe work with a tall/longer PG in the back court?

These days of "is he too short to play the 2?" are over. If you can guard 1s and shoot, there is a place for you in the league (I don't know if he can, just a general point). You don't need to be a "PG", there's plenty of guards and wings that create for their teams.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Is Barrett a better prospect then BI?
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Andre Hunter would be a great fit

’Andre Hunter, 6’8” wing, Virginia. He has been shooting up draft boards all season long because he is one of the best defensive players in this draft, he’s got good athleticism, he’s physical and long at 6’8” with a 7’2” wingspan. He’s not going to be a future superstar, but what he can be is a quality starter/rotation player who is a defensive stopper and can knock down threes (better than 45 percent from deep this season) and score some as needed on the offensive end. He is a willing role player, and likely a top 5 pick
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
Looks like Andre Hunter would be a great fit

’Andre Hunter, 6’8” wing, Virginia. He has been shooting up draft boards all season long because he is one of the best defensive players in this draft, he’s got good athleticism, he’s physical and long at 6’8” with a 7’2” wingspan. He’s not going to be a future superstar, but what he can be is a quality starter/rotation player who is a defensive stopper and can knock down threes (better than 45 percent from deep this season) and score some as needed on the offensive end. He is a willing role player, and likely a top 5 pick

For me at this point, I like him anywhere from 4 to 6. Ideal 3 and D player. Future superstar, most likely not, but I would not count him out of fringe all-star level player....
icetich21
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Same bloodline?

yes brothers

@Keegan Pope:

Sucks for him-- and he probably goes undrafted because of it, but when he recovers his game was not predicated on athleticism which bodes well for his ability to contribute and play in the NBA.

Even Otto Porter is often injured..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 69 of 441
Jump to: