Official 2019 NBA Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17758

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
32 wrote:
Zion will be the best draft pick in over a decade. I have a feeling the Cavs could get him. Seems like whenever a superstar leaves a franchise that franchise lands #1 pick.


Anthony Bennett was awesome in college.

Bennett was great in college. Zion is on another planet compared to him and any recent college player since Anthony Davis.

Also, that's a really lazy comparison.
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60475
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Bennett would be an NBA stud if he got himself in gear.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 6165

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Rough list I made a month ago. Forgot to post it.


Zion

Culver
Barrett

De'Andre Hunter
Cam Reddish
Nassir Little
Ja Morant
Kevin Porter Jr

Keldon Johnson
NAW
Daniel Gafford
Coby White
Tre Jones

Brandon Clarke
Jontay Porter
Ty Jerome
Jalen McDaniels

Ignas Brazdeikis
Bruno Fernando

Tyrese Haliburton
Rui Hatchimura
Doumbouya
Talen Horten Tucker
PJ Washington
Shamorie Ponds
Romeo Langford

Charles Matthews
Matisse Thybulle
Jordan Poole
Miye Oni
Cam Johnson
Carsen Edwards
Norvell Jr
Markus Howard



Garland has dropped that much?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 1920

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
32 wrote:
Zion will be the best draft pick in over a decade. I have a feeling the Cavs could get him. Seems like whenever a superstar leaves a franchise that franchise lands #1 pick.


Anthony Bennett was awesome in college.

Bennett was great in college. Zion is on another planet compared to him and any recent college player since Anthony Davis.

Also, that's a really lazy comparison.


Another planet isn’t accurate in my lazy opinion. I’d say he’s ball park considering the other stud on that current Duke team. The centers in the NBA are international. They’re bigger, faster, have more experience and can rack up foul totals on the opposing centers with the savvy of several years exp in the league. Dominating folks 3 years removed from high school is a different universe than the League. I do stipulate, Zion is a beast in college. Nice inside out... can read schemes well, and is a light speed mountain.
_________________
🌮 WE 🌮 WANT 🌮 TACOS 🌮
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
I like the idea of drafting Bol Bol... because then, we'd be able to say we have someone with Bols.

Alternatively... we got them by the Bol Bols?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60475
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Garland has dropped that much?


I don't believe in his game.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 6165

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Garland has dropped that much?


I don't believe in his game.



OK

In several mocks, I have seen him mid first round to early 20's. I don't remember if any had him as low as you do.

Not arguing with you............just an observation of a difference between you and others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60475
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Garland has dropped that much?


I don't believe in his game.



OK

In several mocks, I have seen him mid first round to early 20's. I don't remember if any had him as low as you do.

Not arguing with you............just an observation of a difference between you and others.


No worries. There's some extremes with my opinions, especially in this draft. But the torn ACL + negative A/TO ratio is rough.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17758

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
32 wrote:
Zion will be the best draft pick in over a decade. I have a feeling the Cavs could get him. Seems like whenever a superstar leaves a franchise that franchise lands #1 pick.


Anthony Bennett was awesome in college.

Bennett was great in college. Zion is on another planet compared to him and any recent college player since Anthony Davis.

Also, that's a really lazy comparison.


Another planet isn’t accurate in my lazy opinion. I’d say he’s ball park considering the other stud on that current Duke team. The centers in the NBA are international. They’re bigger, faster, have more experience and can rack up foul totals on the opposing centers with the savvy of several years exp in the league. Dominating folks 3 years removed from high school is a different universe than the League. I do stipulate, Zion is a beast in college. Nice inside out... can read schemes well, and is a light speed mountain.

Zion is posting the highest PER (43) and BPM (21.7) of any player regardless of class since those metrics have been tabulated (2009). And he's still only 18 years old. For comparison, Anthony Davis as a fellow freshman recorded a 35.1 PER (11th in that time frame) and a 18.7 BPM (2nd best in that time frame). Anthony Bennett as a freshman posted a respectable 8.5 BPM while Lonzo posted a 12.2 BPM and Ben Simmons an 11.6 BPM for comparison.

Those are flawed metrics, but the harmony in the all-in-one numbers that point to Zion as the best player CBB has seen in the last nine seasons is pretty compelling. Or how about since 1992 Zion is one of only two players to average 20 ppg on a 70%+ TS% and the other guy doing so is a SR at Louisiana-Monroe playing four more minutes per game than Zion?

And that doesn't include Zion's 2 blocks and 2 steals per game in 26 minutes, which is the terrain of great college defensive specialists like Shane Battier, Bo Outlaw, Nerlens Noel, etc. Shane Battier was the only one to average 20 ppg (as a senior), fwiw.

I can't emphasize enough how once-in-a-lifetime his college production has been so far to go with one of the best athletic profiles of all time. He can be a 1% of 1% guy like Shaq, Jordan, Lebron, and Wilt, and seems to have the work ethic, motor, and charisma to build on his incredible foundation. RJ Barrett isn't close to him as a prospect, imo.
_________________
Banana Head


Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17758

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Garland has dropped that much?


I don't believe in his game.



OK

In several mocks, I have seen him mid first round to early 20's. I don't remember if any had him as low as you do.

Not arguing with you............just an observation of a difference between you and others.


No worries. There's some extremes with my opinions, especially in this draft. But the torn ACL + negative A/TO ratio is rough.

It was a torn meniscus.
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17758

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Louisiana-Monroe, is Daishon Smith a prospect? His 3P% is unsustainable (despite being sustained so far), but he's solidly built for a small guard, has bounce at the rim, handles, and a pull-up jumper.

Seems like an intriguing undrafted candidate.
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60475
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Garland has dropped that much?


I don't believe in his game.



OK

In several mocks, I have seen him mid first round to early 20's. I don't remember if any had him as low as you do.

Not arguing with you............just an observation of a difference between you and others.


No worries. There's some extremes with my opinions, especially in this draft. But the torn ACL + negative A/TO ratio is rough.

It was a torn meniscus.


Thanks for the clarification, but even when healthy...
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60475
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Speaking of Louisiana-Monroe, is Daishon Smith a prospect? His 3P% is unsustainable (despite being sustained so far), but he's solidly built for a small guard, has bounce at the rim, handles, and a pull-up jumper.

Seems like an intriguing undrafted candidate.


Definitely worth a look. My list hasn't gone that far haha.

There's a lot of mid-late 1st round types that I really don't like, like Hachimura.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 986

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Speaking of Louisiana-Monroe, is Daishon Smith a prospect? His 3P% is unsustainable (despite being sustained so far), but he's solidly built for a small guard, has bounce at the rim, handles, and a pull-up jumper.

Seems like an intriguing undrafted candidate.


Definitely worth a look. My list hasn't gone that far haha.

There's a lot of mid-late 1st round types that I really don't like, like Hachimura.


I really like Hachimura. Just needs to extend his shot to the 3pt line.

Matisse Thybulle OTOH is a big no for me. Still don't believe in his shooting ability or how much improvement he can make.

Not that high on Brandon Clarke. Not sure how much his skills will translate to the NBA. Seems like a tweener but without the scoring potential like Kuzma.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2015
Posts: 1587
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

Mike, I see you're advocating on trading down our 1st round for 2 2nd rounds because of cap flexibility and not a big difference in terms of players we can get. I understand the logic here.

But, checking the draft board, our best possible trading partners would be Orlando (31 and 46) or Atlanta (35 and 41), as of today. I believe our pick will be in the 20-22 range. Usually, I'd say it's a bad trade, but in this given draft, do you believe it's worthy?
_________________
We want Bonga!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 1207

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

Maybe talk Atlanta into giving us their next years 1st round pick and 41 for our 1st rounder this year. Maybe their first protected top 8?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 6165

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Maybe talk Atlanta into giving us their next years 1st round pick and 41 for our 1st rounder this year. Maybe their first protected top 8?



Atlanta is in a multi year rebuild, so they won't be fixed in one year and will want to keep their 2020 pick unless they get an impressive offer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 6188

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Speaking of Louisiana-Monroe, is Daishon Smith a prospect? His 3P% is unsustainable (despite being sustained so far), but he's solidly built for a small guard, has bounce at the rim, handles, and a pull-up jumper.

Seems like an intriguing undrafted candidate.


Definitely worth a look. My list hasn't gone that far haha.

There's a lot of mid-late 1st round types that I really don't like, like Hachimura.


I really like Hachimura. Just needs to extend his shot to the 3pt line.

Matisse Thybulle OTOH is a big no for me. Still don't believe in his shooting ability or how much improvement he can make.

Not that high on Brandon Clarke. Not sure how much his skills will translate to the NBA. Seems like a tweener but without the scoring potential like Kuzma.


thybulle is a guaranteed NBA level defender, why big no? he has a role. he'd be fantastic as a 2nd round pick.
_________________
substance over style
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 986

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Speaking of Louisiana-Monroe, is Daishon Smith a prospect? His 3P% is unsustainable (despite being sustained so far), but he's solidly built for a small guard, has bounce at the rim, handles, and a pull-up jumper.

Seems like an intriguing undrafted candidate.


Definitely worth a look. My list hasn't gone that far haha.

There's a lot of mid-late 1st round types that I really don't like, like Hachimura.


I really like Hachimura. Just needs to extend his shot to the 3pt line.

Matisse Thybulle OTOH is a big no for me. Still don't believe in his shooting ability or how much improvement he can make.

Not that high on Brandon Clarke. Not sure how much his skills will translate to the NBA. Seems like a tweener but without the scoring potential like Kuzma.


thybulle is a guaranteed NBA level defender, why big no? he has a role. he'd be fantastic as a 2nd round pick.


Yes I believe in his defense but I don't feel we need another non-shooter at this point where the Lakers are looking to contend for the championship the next 3 years or at least I hope they do.

He is also a senior whose offense has not improved much in 3 years. Mike@LG has him ranked 28th and I feel he is a mid to late 2nd type prospect. Here is my previous write up on him a few pages ago.

Was waiting to watch a 2nd game but decided to post my thoughts on Matisse Thybulle. I watched the Seattle Pacific game and came away with mixed feelings.

My comparison: Guard version of Aaron Gordon coming out of college.

If he was a Freshman/Sophomore I would be higher on him but being a Senior with raw offensive skills is a negative.

Non-shooter. His form is kind of Aaron Gordonish. With work I believe he will improve although it may take 2 years. His handles are average and is average or below attacking the basket.

For defense I base my analysis on their potential relying on their physical attributes, athleticism and effort. In this respect Matisse meets NBA standards. Pure run and jump athlete. Really active on defense as he is billed to be. Good height, wing span, strong body with a very good vertical. Moves well both laterally and straight line.

In conclusion he is a 2nd round prospect. Lakers need a more finished product at this point of the rebuild but would consider taking in the lower half of the 2nd and optimally signed to a two-way contract with South Bay. Ceiling - possibly Andre Roberson with a better shot. Floor - never develops offensively and washes out of the NBA. Even though his defensive potential is enticing he may have to take the undrafted route to the NBA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 8059

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Why is Cam Johnson so low?... he's shooting 49% from three on high volume
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17758

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

^ I think Reaves and Matthews give you comparable defensive impact with a better chance at being somewhat useful on offense. And I think Reaves/Matthews are late-1st at best guys.
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17758

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Why is Cam Johnson so low?... he's shooting 49% from three on high volume

Fear of Anthony Brown...?
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 8059

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Why is Cam Johnson so low?... he's shooting 49% from three on high volume

Fear of Anthony Brown...?


I know I get tunnel vision about shooters... and Coby White was the one who stuck out to me... but that shooting is incredible if he sustains it all year.

I'll have to watch more of their games to see what you mean.

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 1414

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Top-5 NBA prospect Bol Bol out for season at Oregon, will enter draft

Quote:
Oregon star freshman Bol Bol's college career is over, he announced Thursday.

Bol has been sidelined for the past four games because of a left foot injury and is unlikely to fully recover before the end of the season.


LINK


could fall off to ~20?



Maybe Lakers can draft him with the 18th pick??


he's got a poor work ethic as has been told to me by a couple people who have worked with him in the last couple years.

Where?


I personally know people that have been involved with him, people who have coached him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60475
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Speaking of Louisiana-Monroe, is Daishon Smith a prospect? His 3P% is unsustainable (despite being sustained so far), but he's solidly built for a small guard, has bounce at the rim, handles, and a pull-up jumper.

Seems like an intriguing undrafted candidate.


Definitely worth a look. My list hasn't gone that far haha.

There's a lot of mid-late 1st round types that I really don't like, like Hachimura.


I really like Hachimura. Just needs to extend his shot to the 3pt line.

Matisse Thybulle OTOH is a big no for me. Still don't believe in his shooting ability or how much improvement he can make.

Not that high on Brandon Clarke. Not sure how much his skills will translate to the NBA. Seems like a tweener but without the scoring potential like Kuzma.


Hachimura can't defend either. Better than Bol Bol on man, but he can't defend 4s and isn't strong enough for 5s.

Thybulle is trending up. Beginning of season is outlier compared to the rest of his NCAA career. Considering this weak draft, he's a steal in the 2nd.

19% November.

45% December.

Right now, 50% in January.

Clarke, I haven't decided. I know he's a 1st rounder, but I don't think LAL is the right place for what he does best. Clarke is Jordan Bell, not Kuzma type.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield http://bball-index.com/team/lal/


Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB