Jeanie Buss talks LeBron, Kobe, Magic and more with Rich Eisen (Video Interview)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Jeanie Buss talks LeBron, Kobe, Magic and more with Rich Eisen (Video Interview)

https://youtu.be/dj8bI9Rs7j8

Last edited by GTL on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for posting.

Jeanie is such a sweet lady. She seems kinda shy
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

Hopefully the Lakers make her proud.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject:

Great interview! Firing her brother is easily the best decision she made for the Lakers. Saved the (bleep) franchise as far as I’m concerned.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject:

Good interview by Jeanie. She seems to have finally found her footing as the owner, and her hiring of Magic and Pelinka has borne fruit. This was the summer they had to get it done and they did. Hats off.

The "Kobe isn't happy about LeBron" stuff is just more media BS. None of it is a surprise but it still gets annoying at times how they try to create something out of nothing.

Luke...this is going to be a big test for him. I like him, but he's got to step up now big time. The team could score last season, but we couldn't play any defense. If we want to win big, that will obviously have to change.

Great story about Jack wanting to be at Chick's memorial service.

Glad to hear James Dolan's band is good, because his team is awful and he's not a good NBA owner.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Good interview by Jeanie. She seems to have finally found her footing as the owner, and her hiring of Magic and Pelinka has borne fruit. This was the summer they had to get it done and they did. Hats off.

The "Kobe isn't happy about LeBron" stuff is just more media BS. None of it is a surprise but it still gets annoying at times how they try to create something out of nothing.

Luke...this is going to be a big test for him. I like him, but he's got to step up now big time. The team could score last season, but we couldn't play any defense. If we want to win big, that will obviously have to change.

Glad to hear James Dolan's band is good, because his team is awful and he's not a good NBA owner.

Our D was dramatically improved from Luke's 1st season and I thought we were top 10 for at least parts of the season...was I over enthusing the cannabis?

#BannersOverBillboards
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

Our D improved from like worst to middle of the pack ish, that’s pretty damn good, come on now.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
Great interview! Firing her brother is easily the best decision she made for the Lakers. Saved the (bleep) franchise as far as I’m concerned.

Mitch needed to be cleared out to, the plan (if there was one) wasn't working and wasn't going to work.

Like Night and Day from the last front office in only a year.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss talks LeBron, Kobe, Magic and more with Rich Eisen (Video Interview)

GTL wrote:
https://youtu.be/dj8bI9Rs7j8

She crushed it. Dont see hown anyone could not like her.

#BannersOverBillboards
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
Our D improved from like worst to middle of the pack ish, that’s pretty damn good, come on now.

Our D only fell to middle of the pack with that 5'8" guy. (IIRC)

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

Can someone provide a timestamp for when she talks about Kobe?

Not trying to listen to the whole half hour interview...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:

Yes, I am sure all the profits they banked over the past few years had the franchise teetering on collapse.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

Our D was dramatically improved from Luke's 1st season and I thought we were top 10 for at least parts of the season...was I over enthusing the cannabis?

Maybe it was me LOL

This team will be a playoff team imo. We'll score a lot of points. If the D is there we can do some damage
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

Yes, I am sure all the profits they banked over the past few years had the franchise teetering on collapse.

I’m not talking about profits as much as I do about the play on the court and how the they are perceived around the league. When Mitch and Jim were fired, the Lakers were a joke and had been for several years. Proceeds to hire Magic who, a year later, has the Lakers in a near perfect situation going forward.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

Profits she helped them bank by securing and negotiating one of the best local tv deals in all of US sports. She was in charge of the business and money stuff, Jim was in charge of basketball. We can all see which side thrived and which side set consecutive records for franchise futility three years running.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

Mitch needed to be cleared out to, the plan (if there was one) wasn't working and wasn't going to work.

i know we like to do this to the old fo. but can we tell it like it is.

yes the deng and mos contracts were awful. but they were there to take up the new ceiling for that super high salar cap out of the blue. in addition they were there to use as trade pieces since the rest of the team we had on the roster were pretty much all on penny contracts for rookies. you can't trade for someone if you dont have the matching salaries. but even if we give them that failure.

the reason that magic and rob worked so well is actually due to them coming in at the right time.

Our young guys outside of ball, hart, and zo were growing up. You could clearly see what kind of player Dlo was going to be and you also knew he was possibly going to be riddled with knee issues. you had multiple sightings of these issues and him walking around like a superstar but not putting in that crazy superstar work. Ju was going to get better because he was going to be older and more improved. In addition, it was his contract year.

Lopez was not available when we got mosgov .if he was we would've picked up lopez instead. Lebron was not an older free agent on a team full of role guys that are not good enough to beat the current superteam in Gstate. this all happened recently.

lbj wanted to come here. he didnt need to be convinced like other FA's in the past. notice we never had a chance to convince pg13.

so if mitch was here or magic. bron was coming anyway due to his businesses being out here.

The draft picks have been great. I will give them credit for that. But mitch and jim didnt choose bad looks either. lonzo was not a rookie when jim and mitch were here. he helped our team win more games last year.

BI was older last year. again, this has little to do with magic and pelinka.

basically the kids were going to grow up last year regardless of mitch or magic. therefore why should magic and pelinka get all of the credit just because they landed at the righ time? they shouldnt. they should get credit for this roster they just put together and lets see where it takes us.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

yes the deng and mos contracts were awful. but they were there to take up the new ceiling for that super high salar cap out of the blue. in addition they were there to use as trade pieces since the rest of the team we had on the roster were pretty much all on penny contracts for rookies. you can't trade for someone if you dont have the matching salaries. but even if we give them that failure.

the reason that magic and rob worked so well is actually due to them coming in at the right time.

Our young guys outside of ball, hart, and zo were growing up. You could clearly see what kind of player Dlo was going to be and you also knew he was possibly going to be riddled with knee issues. you had multiple sightings of these issues and him walking around like a superstar but not putting in that crazy superstar work. Ju was going to get better because he was going to be older and more improved. In addition, it was his contract year.

Lopez was not available when we got mosgov .if he was we would've picked up lopez instead. Lebron was not an older free agent on a team full of role guys that are not good enough to beat the current superteam in Gstate. this all happened recently.

lbj wanted to come here. he didnt need to be convinced like other FA's in the past. notice we never had a chance to convince pg13.

so if mitch was here or magic. bron was coming anyway due to his businesses being out here.

The draft picks have been great. I will give them credit for that. But mitch and jim didnt choose bad looks either. lonzo was not a rookie when Jim and mitch were here. he helped our team win more games last year.

basically, the kids were going to grow up last year regardless of mitch or magic. therefore why should magic and pelinka get all of the credit just because they landed at the righ time? they shouldn't. they should get credit for this roster they just put together and let's see where it takes us.

1. Cannot use the CBA floor as an excuse for the bad Deng/Mozgov dals. Nowhere in the CBA does it say we needed to sign them for 4 years. if the argument is that FA's don't sign 1-2 year deals then you let those guys walk for guys willing to sign a 1+ Team option. No one was beating down Timofey's door and though Deng had suitors I'm sure it did not require what we spent to outbid the other suitors.

2. you mentioned Ball hart and Zo ..did we sign Gelo and I did not know about it?

3. Russell wasn't a bad choice. Kat was gone. KP has worse knees than D'Angelo and Mudiay, Oakafor, Hezonja etc have all been jettisoned by the teams that drafted them (LOL the Oakaor supporters on here)

4. The current regime not only built this current team, they also moved Timofey's bad contract. Clarkson's not as bad but not good contract. We have all of our picks moving forward. And cap flexibility.

Outside of Lonzo over Tatum (Mitchell was completely unexpected) not much you can blame this regime for and its still to early to say definitively that Tatum will be better because again year one the Oakafor crowd wanted him over Russell (again, LOL)

Last edited by Killakobe81 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

I’m not talking about profits as much as I do about the play on the court and how the they are perceived around the league. When Mitch and Jim were fired, the Lakers were a joke and had been for several years. Proceeds to hire Magic who, a year later, has the Lakers in a near perfect situation going forward.

They were rebuilding, of course they were horrible. They were pretty horrible last season as well. Of course they now have Lebron to not be horrible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

Profits she helped them bank by securing and negotiating one of the best local tv deals in all of US sports. She was in charge of the business and money stuff, Jim was in charge of basketball. We can all see which side thrived and which side set consecutive records for franchise futility three years running.

Dr. Buss was behind the Time Warner deal. From what was reported at the time was that Tim Harris had a big role in the negotiations.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie is a great owner.

She had to make the tough call and she made it with here brother.

She then had to to pick Magic and they are the perfect match.

With Jim she was always in the dark as to what was going on and the strategy to get back to greatness.

With Magic she is in the loop knows exactly what plan is and how the plan is progressing. But Magic is totally empowered and running the show in terms of basketball operations. She is also on the same page with Rob and Luke. She does a great job on the business side and they all have a common integrated vision.

She seems so at peace and I am happy for her.

Loved the story about the first time she met Magic. I fondly remember all the excitement when we drafted him. Those showtimes days were the best Laker teams ever.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Jeanie is a great owner.

She had to make the tough call and she made it with here brother.

She then had to to pick Magic and they are the perfect match.

With Jim she was always in the dark as to what was going on and the strategy to get back to greatness.

With Magic she is in the loop knows exactly what plan is and how the plan is progressing. But Magic is totally empowered and running the show in terms of basketball operations. She is also on the same page with Rob and Luke. She does a great job on the business side and they all have a common integrated vision.

She seems so at peace and I am happy for her.

Loved the story about the first time she met Magic. I fondly remember all the excitement when we drafted him. Those showtimes days were the best Laker teams ever.

Agree 100%. That was a great anecdote. Shows the pull L.A. has and how much of a visionary Dr. Buss. was. I pretty much hate U$C but I thank GOD for whatever part it had in shaping the man.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

it went picture perfect, it's crazy.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

What? The team was top 10 in defensive efficiency for the majority of the season, bro. They still finished in the top half, but they only slipped out of the top 10 because injuries derailed things at the end of the season because they had to plug G-League guys in. The defense Luke had them playing last season was arguably his biggest accomplishment as a head coach so far. Everyone expected the team to be one of the worst in the league defensively, fans on this forum included.

Last edited by Judah on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Killakobe81 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

The draft picks have been great. I will give them credit for that. But mitch and jim didnt choose bad looks either. lonzo was not a rookie when Jim and mitch were here. he helped our team win more games last year.

basically, the kids were going to grow up last year regardless of mitch or magic. therefore why should magic and pelinka get all of the credit just because they landed at the righ time? they shouldn't. they should get credit for this roster they just put together and let's see where it takes us.

1. Cannot use the CBA floor as an excuse for the bad Deng/Mozgov dals. Nowhere in the CBA does it say we needed to sign them for 4 years. if the argument is that FA's don't sign 1-2 year deals then you let those guys walk for guys willing to sign a 1+ Team option. No one was beating down Timofey's door and though Deng had suitors I'm sure it did not require what we spent to outbid the other suitors.

2. you mentioned Ball hart and Zo ..did we sign Gelo and I did not know about it?

3. Russell wasn't a bad choice. Kat was gone. KP has worse knees than D'Angelo and Mudiay, Oakafor, Hezonja etc have all been jettisoned by the teams that drafted them (LOL the Oakaor supporters on here)

4. The current regime not only built this current team, they also moved Timofey's bad contract. Clarkson's not as bad but not good contract. We have all of our picks moving forward. And cap flexibility.

Outside of Lonzo over Tatum (Mitchell was completely unexpected) not much you can blame this regime for and its still to early to say definitively that Tatum will be better because again year one the Oakafor crowd wanted him over Russell (again, LOL)

Nothing to blame from the current front office (minus some of the suspect FA signings this summer after obviously the awesome Lebron signing), but don't think we can throw Mitch in the same category as Jim from the prior regime.

I know the Moz/Deng contracts are the biggest blemish in Mitch's tenure here. Mitch was historically very fiscally prudent in free agnecy, and always talked about flexibility, and those two signings were extremely uncharacteristic of him. I still think he was strong-armed into spending money to "land" free agents by his partner Jim, who at the end of the day was still an owner from whom Mitch had to take direction.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Jeanie Buss on Theo Von Podcast...LONG interivew!

I'm a huge fan of Theo Von and the rest of the crew of comics he hangs out with. Theo is absolutely killing it right now. Guy has a fantastic podcast and I was shocked to see that he somehow got Jeanie to talk for an hour and a half about all sorts of things.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: