Knicks owner James Dolan, Bucks owner Marc Lasry named in Harvey Weinstein lawsuit

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Knicks owner James Dolan, Bucks owner Marc Lasry named in Harvey Weinstein lawsuit

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/12/06/knicks-owner-james-dolan-bucks-own-marc-lasry-named-in-harvey-weinstein-lawsuit/

Quote:
Knicks owner James Dolan, Bucks owner Marc Lasry named in Harvey Weinstein lawsuit

The Harvey Weinstein scandal has reached the NBA.

Maya Salam of The New York Times:

A class-action lawsuit was filed on Wednesday against Harvey Weinstein, Miramax, The Weinstein Company and members of its board of directors, claiming that these entities worked to “perpetuate and conceal Weinstein’s widespread sexual harassment and assault,” a cover-up that amounts to civil racketeering.

In a joint statement, the six plaintiffs said, “We are but six women representing hundreds” who have been harassed or assaulted by Mr. Weinstein.

Two of the defendants named in the suit are James Dolan, owner of the New York Knicks, and Marc Lasry, a co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks. Both men are former members of the Weinstein Company’s board of directors — Mr. Dolan from mid-2015 to June 2016, and Mr. Lasry from mid-2016 to October 2017, according to the suit.

Sexual assault is bad, and we should all do what we can to stop it. But determining when someone should be legally liable for someone else’s alleged sexual assault is far more complex.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

I gave the complaint a quick skim. I won't call it ridiculous, but it comes close.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/08/10/james-dolan-wrote-a-song-about-not-knowing-what-friend-harvey-weinstein-was-doing/

Quote:
James Dolan wrote a song about not knowing what friend Harvey Weinstein was doing

There was a lot of soul searching from people in the entertainment industry who know and were close to former studio head Harvey Weinstein — and so many others in the industry — who were abusing their power and allegedly sexually assaulting women. How did these people turn a blind eye to what was happening? Or was it more than that?

Knicks’ and Madison Square Garden owner James Dolan is one of those people, he was a friend of Weinstein’s who was on the board of directors for The Weinstein Company for a time. Dolan and Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Marc Lasry are both named in a lawsuit against The Weinstein Company board claiming and its members worked to conceal what Weinstein was doing.

Dolan has now written a song for his band about his feelings on Weinstein and these issues, and he performed it on the Fox New York morning show, something Ian Begley of ESPN recorded and Tweeted about.

wnyw tv ‎@wnyw

Ian Begley

@IanBegley
James Dolan on Fox 5 says that he is not selling the Knicks. He also plays a song, “I Should Have Known” about friends he knew, including Harvey Weinstein “and others”, who were said to have sexually assaulted or abused women. “What did I miss?” he said. https://www.fox5ny.com/good-day/352241211-video

1:16 PM - Aug 9, 2018
24 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Here are some of the lyrics of the song:

I should’ve known
I should’ve known
I should’ve thrown myself across his tracks
Stopped him from these vile attacks
I should have known
We believed and didn’t see
Through the lies he told us all
They led him to his endless fall
I should’ve known
I should’ve known

If all this seems a little late and, maybe, disingenuous, well, remember that former Knicks employee Anucha Browne Sanders successfully sued then Knicks’ coach and president Isiah Thomas and Dolan’s Madison Square Garden in 2007 for sexual harassment. Dolan had to pay out $11.6 million in that lawsuit. Dolan still thinks Sanders made her story up and that Thomas should have been cleared (and he re-hired Thomas to run the WNBA’s Liberty, something he still does).

Dolan feels he missed something with Weinstein, but this seems to be a pattern in his life. Maybe he’s recognized that and the harm it has caused, or maybe he doesn’t see the pattern at all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: