Our closest team comparison?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
chantruong wrote:
2008 Lakers Pre-Pau trade. Like that team I think we will be surprisingly good but are one major move from serious contention. I have this dream where we trade Deng for an all star at this deadline.

Not bad, but who was the young core on that lakers team besides maybe Bynum? We have the superstar, we have the supporting cast, the one thing we have now which I don’t think we had before was a young core with all star potential on an obvious upward trajectory- I think they’re the real wild card or X factor with this team.

Wasn't quite the same young core, but we had a lot of youth, many in the rotation or expected to be, that year.

Trevor Ariza (22)
Andrew Bynum (20)
Jordan Farmar (21)
Javaris Crittenton (20)
Sasha Vujacic (23)
Kwame Brown (25)
Ronny Turiaf (25)

Ariza, we picked up from Olando. So he’s more like KCP. The rest you mentioned, aside from maybe Bynum, are not (if they are we’re in big trouble) on the level of BI, Kuzma, Ball and Hart. These young guns are expected to be a big part of the laker success post Lebron. Those guys in the list didn’t have those expectations

Who cares if we traded for Ariza? LOL. We’re looking for prior roster constructions that best resemble our current.

Sure, the 2008 Lakers aren’t an identical model to what we have now but you will never find one that matches precisely 1-15 plus coaching staff and contracts. I’m sure theres a better option than that one so if you got it, let’s hear it.

It’s not only not precise. I don’t think 2008 is that close. Maybe a rough approximation. This is a unique team. Kobe at his elite level didn’t have this type of mix of players. Maybe you got to back to Kareem - 79-80. That might be a better match

That was right after I was born so I don’t know the nuances of that team. I’ll admit I simplified the comparison. I still think the 2008 Lakers, on paper, is close.

1 star
Castoff role players
Young pieces

One glaring difference is expectations though. No one expected that 2008 team to fare well unlike with ours where the expectation is great things. Dont know if thats because its Lebron or he was traded for or both, but yeah.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Not the most flattering comparison but the Kobe/Caron/LO core is fair for LeBron/Kuz/Ingram.

Edit - looking at that 04-05 roster and it's almost uncanny how similar we are to them . The supporting cast is like a souped up version of that squad.

Kobe - Lebron
Butler - Ingram
LO - Kuzma
Mihm - McGee
George - Hart
Jones - KCP
Grant - Deng (uncanny)
Slava - Wagner
Cook - Beasley
Divac - Zubac (opposite ends of their careers)
Sasha - Svi
Luke - Lance (lol)
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

There is no team like the one we got this one year only. Suicide Squad Lakeshow is a different animal with King at the helm. No close comparison IMHO.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Not the most flattering comparison but the Kobe/Caron/LO core is fair for LeBron/Kuz/Ingram.

Edit - looking at that 04-05 roster and it's almost uncanny how similar we are to them . The supporting cast is like a souped up version of that squad.

Kobe - Lebron
Butler - Ingram
LO - Kuzma
Mihm - McGee
George - Hart
Jones - KCP
Grant - Deng (uncanny)
Slava - Wagner
Cook - Beasley
Sasha - Svi
Luke - Lance (lol)

I didn't want to mention that one because it's depressing. The '05 team was really pretty decent on paper. I would switch Divac and Mihm on your list. There really was no counterpart to Ball. Chucky Atkins wasn't the same thing. Going into the season, Grant was better than Deng.

But then, oh the injuries. I hope we never see anything like that again. Divac and George miss most of the season, Grant is walking wounded all year, then Kobe goes down, then Odom goes down. What a nightmare.

If you want a vision of how this season could go bad, then you just need to look to 2005.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Kobe - Lebron
Butler - Ingram
LO - Kuzma
Mihm - McGee
George - Hart
Jones - KCP
Grant - Deng (uncanny)
Slava - Wagner
Cook - Beasley
Sasha - Svi
Luke - Lance (lol)

I didn't want to mention that one because it's depressing. The '05 team was really pretty decent on paper. I would switch Divac and Mihm on your list. There really was no counterpart to Ball. Chucky Atkins wasn't the same thing. Going into the season, Grant was better than Deng.

But then, oh the injuries. I hope we never see anything like that again. Divac and George miss most of the season, Grant is walking wounded all year, then Kobe goes down, then Odom goes down. What a nightmare.

If you want a vision of how this season could go bad, then you just need to look to 2005.

Yea but we're literally better at every position except Mihm-McGee. I like that comparison because they're both athletic, low minute guys. I can see the Zu-Mihm similarities however. Divac I don't think was ever expected to contribute. You're right about no comp for Ball but we'd all be ecstatic if he put up Chucky's offensive numbers. Grant was another albatross contract, one of the worst of his era, and he was also in his 2nd to last year of it just like Deng. Then you have Lebron who put up the same ppg as Kobe that year (27.5 to 27.6).
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

2017-18 Laker squad, with the youngsters 1 year better (hopefully) and a YUUUGE upgrade from Randle to Lebron.
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Last year’s Celtics with Kyrie.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Yea but we're literally better at every position except Mihm-McGee. I like that comparison because they're both athletic, low minute guys. I can see the Zu-Mihm similarities however. Divac I don't think was ever expected to contribute. You're right about no comp for Ball but we'd all be ecstatic if he put up Chucky's offensive numbers. Grant was another albatross contract, one of the worst of his era, and he was also in his 2nd to last year of it just like Deng. Then you have Lebron who put up the same ppg as Kobe that year (27.5 to 27.6).

You're looking at it in hindsight. Divac was supposed to be the starting center. We gave him the full MLE, if I recall correctly. Mihm was supposed to be a backup. Grant had a bad contract, but he had been a productive player with the Heat. Whether our young players turn out to be better than their 2005 counterparts remains to be seen.

Going into that season, I think a lot of people here would have pegged us at about 50 wins. I was not a regular on this board back then, but I can remember that there was a lot of optimism. Then the injuries started hitting and just kept coming. Even then, we were in playoff contention for much of the year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
manlisten wrote:

You're looking at it in hindsight. Divac was supposed to be the starting center. We gave him the full MLE, if I recall correctly. Mihm was supposed to be a backup. Grant had a bad contract, but he had been a productive player with the Heat. Whether our young players turn out to be better than their 2005 counterparts remains to be seen.

Going into that season, I think a lot of people here would have pegged us at about 50 wins. I was not a regular on this board back then, but I can remember that there was a lot of optimism. Then the injuries started hitting and just kept coming. Even then, we were in playoff contention for much of the year.

No one thought we'd content that year. But the preseason predictions did place us at about 50 wins and the 6th seed.

It was a season where we were riddled with injuries -- Kobe missed a month, so did Odom. George, Vlade, Grant -- everyone got hurt.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

I thumbed through the past ten NBA seasons via Sports Reference. The team which comes to mind for me on a pre-season basis is the 2009/10 Thunder. They stood pre-season with one proven superstar (Durant) and a couple up-and-coming small guys (Westbrook, Harden), the team coming off a rough prior season. They went to make 50-32, which seems a very possible outcome this 2018/19 Laker team, if LeBron and the main guys stay healthy.

I'm not saying the Lakers will go on to create the same series of runs in the post season that the Thunder did. That OKC squad proved it had rare instant synergy that few would have guessed likely with three guys so young and talented: Durant a two year vet, Harden a rookie, and Westbrook just a second year player. I would bet against two Lakers on this year's squad ever becoming capable of future league MVP performances down the road that we saw in all three OKC heavyweights. Playoffs iffy for us, comparatively.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

2019 NBA Champions
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I thumbed through the past ten NBA seasons via Sports Reference. The team which comes to mind for me on a pre-season basis is the 2009/10 Thunder. They stood pre-season with one proven superstar (Durant) and a couple up-and-coming small guys (Westbrook, Harden), the team coming off a rough prior season. They went to make 50-32, which seems a very possible outcome this 2018/19 Laker team, if LeBron and the main guys stay healthy.

I'm not saying the Lakers will go on to create the same series of runs in the post season that the Thunder did. That OKC squad proved it had rare instant synergy that few would have guessed likely with three guys so young and talented: Durant a two year vet, Harden a rookie, and Westbrook just a second year player. I would bet against two Lakers on this year's squad ever becoming capable of future league MVP performances down the road that we saw in all three OKC heavyweights. Playoffs iffy for us, comparatively.

Not a bad comparison. However, Durant wasn’t a superstar then. He wasn’t even an All-Star yet going into that season. That aside, it’s close. They also had some of the similar role players like Krstic, Collison, Livingston and young core players as you said in Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka.

But the huge difference there is they didn’t have that bonafide superstar leading the way. They had a young up and comer, on the cusp of becoming an All-Star for the first time in his 3rd season. That sounds more like Ingram than Lebron.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject:

What about, to a lesser degree, the 2017-2018 TWolves? They lack the superstar, but they added a star (Butler) to lead an otherwise young core (Wiggins, KAT) and some vet role players like Teague, Taj Gibson, and Jamal Crawford.

They had been losing, like us, and that was the move expected to get them over the playoff hump.

Butler obviously not a superstar but otherwise not bad.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

I think our closest comparison is the 93 Broncos, only because it seems like we've compared the current Lakers to every team in NBA history and so have to switch to other sports.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I think our closest comparison is the 93 Broncos, only because it seems like we've compared the current Lakers to every team in NBA history and so have to switch to other sports.

Think big. The '27 Yankees. No one expected them to win the NBA title, either.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

A arguement can be made comparing the current Lakers to the Bad Boy Pistons from 1980’s and early 90s..

We have the arrogant (Who won’t back down) players in Stephenson/Rondo/Hart/Beasley.

Can be a really exciting time to be a Laker fan, this team can be compared to a lot of past greats.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the Baron Davis Warriors?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject:

NotHype wrote:
Artesties wrote:

Thats a good one!
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The 2008 Lakers pre-Pau.
There's no one on our team as bad as sasha, ,brian cook, coby karl, old man newble, butter fingers kwame. Evans was cool but I think Josh hart is a better all around player than him.sure LO was good. but thats about it outside of kobe. this team has real life players that can play. rondo is better than any pg we had on that pre pau 08' laker team.So is zo. Kuz would run circles around B.cook and the old Vlad Rad.

Zubac can actually catch the ball so I'm going with big zu over kwame.

brandon ingram is a better overall player than trevor at that time. remember trev couldnt shoot the 3 yet at this point. he was all defense and spoon fed fast breaks.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

Kobe - Lebron
Butler - Ingram
LO - Kuzma
Mihm - McGee
George - Hart
Jones - KCP
Grant - Deng (uncanny)
Slava - Wagner
Cook - Beasley
Sasha - Svi
Luke - Lance (lol)

actually lonzo is not on the list...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
Maybe the Baron Davis Warriors?

The 2007 Warriors were a Cinderella story, they were the 8th seed, we are expected to be much more then that.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Kind of reminds me of the team we had when we traded Eddie and Elden for Glen Rice and JR Reid.

Rodman
Rice
Shaq
Kobe
Fish
Horry
Fox
Reid
Rooks

Rodman didn't last long when he went to practice and forgot his shoes.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Kind of reminds me of the team we had when we traded Eddie and Elden for Glen Rice and JR Reid.

Rodman
Rice
Shaq
Kobe
Fish
Horry
Fox
Reid
Rooks

Rodman didn't last long when he went to practice and forgot his shoes.

How did you come to the conclusion that the 99 Lakers resemble the current Lakers? What players does that team have that compares to the current Lakers?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

1995 Lakers + superstar.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: