If Bynum was stronger, would he be near as good as Shaq???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Strong Bynum as good as Shaq??
Yes. Especially with KAJ's coaching...
41%
 41%  [ 16 ]
No way in HECK!!! Shaq is a FREAK! There will NEVER be another Shaq!
33%
 33%  [ 13 ]
Maybe. If all of the stars are aligned...
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 39

GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: If Bynum was stronger, would he be near as good as Shaq???

One of the things I noticed about Bynum is that he's Big and Agile, alot like Shaq...

He also has soft hands and VERY long arms...

He's very athletic. Good passer...good b-ball IQ for his age/experience...

He NEEDS strength training...he NEEDS to be ALOT stronger...

If he was as strong as Shaq, would he be as GOOD as Shaq?
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Let's see if Bynum can do better than Darko before we compare him to one of the top 3 greatest centers of all time.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Shaq was just soooooo dominant. Ithink bynum can reach that b/c like shaqs era there arent any othe centers. I think he can be a much better defender than shaq. Offensively, its tough. Shaq was as aggressive as they come.

Remember when shaq tried to dunk things 5ft. away from the basket. That was nasty
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

I have not voted...I have no opinion yet....

I wanted to see what you guys think of Bynum and maybe it will sway me one way or another...

All of the people who talk about NOT trading Bynum should really chime in on this one...
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Bynum has the physical build that he can become as strong as Shaq.

I don't think that's what separates them.

Shaq is (was) also freakishly athletic for his size.

Bynum doesn't have the same geneticly blessed athleticism as Shaq.

Now Bynum, best case, can still darned well end up one of the greats.

I just don't think he can ever be what Shaq was in all aspects of the game.

(that said, Bynum may end up a better defender if he turns out)
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

He's strong enough to play center in the NBA against 30 year olds. Bynum is nowhere near his athletic peak. He will get much stronger. Most of the H.S. players coming directly to the NBA did poorly on the athletic tests in Chicago. They get better as they get older. It's like a H.S. athlete who goes to college. He will do better after a few years of college. Usually, college players have another big jump to make to get to the NBA level. Bynum is extremely strong for his age.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:

I think Bynum must get a little bigger and stronger to be in Shaq's league, but its not impossible. I mean Bynum has Shaq like potential. If you watch him move, he resembles Shaq a lot, but his post moves are all KAJ.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

So far he has a better work ethic from what people are saying but we won't know until we see what this team can do.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:

If he was as strong, as quick, as athletic, as coordinated, and as focused as Shaq was in the 3 years we won it all, he might be as good as Shaq. Remember that in Shaq's second year of college ball, he averaged something like 29 a game in the SEC. I don't believe Bynum will be anywhere close to that next year, maybe ever. Shaq would have had a much more prolific freshman season if not for Stanley Roberts and Chris Jackson's taking all the shots.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Let's see if Bynum can do better than Darko before we compare him to one of the top 3 greatest centers of all time.

He said Shaq, not Wilt, Kareem or Russell.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

Excellent point. I want to see him get the 8 points and 5 rebounds that people in here were predicting for this year first. I think we're about 2 more years away from that.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
So far he has a better work ethic from what people are saying but we won't know until we see what this team can do.

True, but you gotta remember that Shaq once was known for having
a great work-ethic and was raised with a ton of discipline.

Shaq was once in amazing physical shape.

Ya never know until a player gets there how a couple rings and a couple
hundred million dollars will soften their drive
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
If he was as strong, as quick, as athletic, as coordinated, and as focused as Shaq was in the 3 years we won it all, he might be as good as Shaq. Remember that in Shaq's second year of college ball, he averaged something like 29 a game in the SEC. I don't believe Bynum will be anywhere close to that next year, maybe ever. Shaq would have had a much more prolific freshman season if not for Stanley Roberts and Chris Jackson's taking all the shots.

The NBA is a quantum leap above the SEC. I'm not sure how you would make an equivalent. Shaq turned 21 in his first NBA season. If Bynum averaged first year Shaq-type numbers in late in his third or early in his fourth season, it would be a sign that he will be in Shaq's general category. He's moving fast, but he has a long way to go. 23/14 is a tall order. Shaq was a freak of nature. A player like Shaq only comes along once or twice in a lifetime. I would be thrilled if Bynum is a 20/10 center at that point. That would be an All-Star.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
He's strong enough to play center in the NBA against 30 year olds. Bynum is nowhere near his athletic peak. He will get much stronger. Most of the H.S. players coming directly to the NBA did poorly on the athletic tests in Chicago. They get better as they get older. It's like a H.S. athlete who goes to college. He will do better after a few years of college. Usually, college players have another big jump to make to get to the NBA level. Bynum is extremely strong for his age.

There's a difference between athletic peak, and basketball peak.

Most players peak between 28-32, not only because the player developed a certain amount of skill level, but also, the body "slowed down" to keep up with the mind. The mind reads the floor better and reacts better after seeing similar situations for a 5-8 year career by then.

Watch Shaq in his rookie year. Watch Shaq in his MVP year. You'll see that Shaq in his rookie was insanely explosive. 11 blocks? All those 20 rebound games? Over 14.3+rpg for the regular season?

Now watch Shaq in his MVP year. Not as explosive in regards to shotblocking and rebounding, just far more reliant on fundamentals. That, added with his body being in shape and high energy level, made him a "smart" version of his rookie year. His peak.

Watch Kobe Bryant in the past compared to now. He's still in the middle of his 666-training regiment and every off-season we see something different; conditioning, strength, skills, and this season, quickness. Has he been as explosive as before? I don't think so. But now, he's far more efficient with his energy level and effort, that he's been more consistent scoring over 27 points per game 4 of every 5 games compared to the inconsistencies of the past.

As for the answer to the question, no, I don't think that if Bynum was as strong as Shaq, that he would be as good. He's not as quick, doesn't run the floor as fast, doesn't jump as explosively.

I do think if he were as strong as Shaq right now, he'd easily be a 20-10 player, but I'm not convinced yet of the strength in his legs and how well he holds his base on both ends of the floor.

Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:

Disagree. It depends on how you define athletic. He's not Arvydas Sabonis post-prime, but he's no Wilt, Ben Wallace, or Shaq either. Above average? Sure, but not much.

Good passer? I do agree with that.

Good b-ball IQ for his age/experience? I guess I'm spoiled. While I do know he's young and his experience is limited, I've see far too many kids 17-19 leave HS with certain fundamentals figured out. Rotating on defense. Establishing a base. Boxing out. How long does he have to learn from Kareem to do these things? Dirk Nowitzki took a long time to learn to box-out. Still doesn't have a post game, despite all the guard skills. Amare? Knew how to establish base, and box-out. Gasol? More advanced as well even at the same relative age.

So far he's shown to be all-on or all-off. The last time he played, I've never seen so many consecutive times getting lost on defense. Basic awareness and rotation.

Quote:

Agreed. I grew tired of guys 40lbs. less than him outpositioning him at the SPL.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Good points Angel & Mike

As to the point of the thread... Bynum is no Shaq, but if Bynum can be another Big Z we will have a contending level center for the next 15 years.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Bynum will be better than Yao....
kbitboc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

bynum is not explosive enough and he is too slow off his feet when he jumps...so i dont think he would be able to dunk over everyone like shaq used to do
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:

The NBA is a quantum leap above the SEC. I'm not sure how you would make an equivalent. Shaq turned 21 in his first NBA season. If Bynum averaged first year Shaq-type numbers in late in his third or early in his fourth season, it would be a sign that he will be in Shaq's general category. He's moving fast, but he has a long way to go. 23/14 is a tall order. Shaq was a freak of nature. A player like Shaq only comes along once or twice in a lifetime. I would be thrilled if Bynum is a 20/10 center at that point. That would be an All-Star.

Yes, it certainly is. I still don't think that he could get 29 a game in college next year, but I guess we'll never know. Then, as you know, Shaq averaged 29 a game in the NBA in only his second season.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

if my aunt had bollocks would she be my uncle?
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

I have to be honest, Bynum really doesn't look like he has grown into his body yet. He looks like a new born deer trying to figure out how to use his legs. Looks a little clumsy sometimes. He really struggles getting down the floor as well.

On the other hand, he has shown that he could be a very solid rebounder. Once he learns positioning and boxing out, his rebounding #'s should soar. I'm wondering if Phil and co. have told him not to go after every shot for a block, maybe to protect him from becoming the next Mihm. He doesn't seem to have the same gift for blocking shots as in the beginning of the season.

Overall, he's a solid prospect. We'll get a better understanding of how he can develop when we see how he improves over the summer with a few months off. Hopefully, boxing out, strength, footwork, stamina and touch on his shots will all show some improvement.
DidierUniversity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject:

well in theory it's not impossible, but I dont think you can realisticaly say that it's likely. Shaq is at the least a top 5 center of all time. To say that Bynum could belong in there just from more strength is far fetched. He has too much to learn about the game to say anything right now.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:

Disagree. It depends on how you define athletic. He's not Arvydas Sabonis post-prime, but he's no Wilt, Ben Wallace, or Shaq either. Above average? Sure, but not much.

Good passer? I do agree with that.

Good b-ball IQ for his age/experience? I guess I'm spoiled. While I do know he's young and his experience is limited, I've see far too many kids 17-19 leave HS with certain fundamentals figured out. Rotating on defense. Establishing a base. Boxing out. How long does he have to learn from Kareem to do these things? Dirk Nowitzki took a long time to learn to box-out. Still doesn't have a post game, despite all the guard skills. Amare? Knew how to establish base, and box-out. Gasol? More advanced as well even at the same relative age.

So far he's shown to be all-on or all-off. The last time he played, I've never seen so many consecutive times getting lost on defense. Basic awareness and rotation.

Quote:

Agreed. I grew tired of guys 40lbs. less than him outpositioning him at the SPL.

Good points Mike...I think you are underestimating this kids athleticism...he's not Shaq but as someone pointed out, he's yet to grow into his body...if he can improve his mobility, he has the brains to outthink most Cs on offense...

He's SOOO WEAK, it's not even funny. He needs lower body strength, and BAD!!! Will help denying post position...

He needs UPPER body strength to handle rebounds...people just TAKE rebounds away from him...it will also help him finish after contact...

Those are the things that Shaq is known for...his ability to do what he wants NO MATTER WHAT the D does...
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Athleticism isn't there, footwork isn't there.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
angel wrote:

Yes, it certainly is. I still don't think that he could get 29 a game in college next year, but I guess we'll never know. Then, as you know, Shaq averaged 29 a game in the NBA in only his second season.

Bynum was 17 when he was drafted. Shaq was 20 when he was drafted. Shaq turned 20 during his last season at LSU. Bynum is a little over 18 now. Shaq turned 22 his second season in the NBA. That is four years away for Bynum.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

We dont need him to be "Shaq" to win rings. If all he becomes is a devasting defensive force we will win. He will never be as lame as mutumbo on O, so if he surpasses him by just a little defensively we will be straight
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: