1-16 Against the Jazz, Pelicans, Wolves, Blazers and Clippers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: 1-16 Against the Jazz, Pelicans, Wolves, Blazers and Clippers

This never really hit me till I listened to an argument made by Laker and Lebron hater extraordinaire Rob Parker on FS1.

As much as we found some decent level of success against some of the elite teams, how we fared against the middling teams was somewhat disturbing. Our only win out of the 17 games inferred to in the header came in the last game of the season against the Clippers, which was kinda meaningless since both teams were essentially resting key guys.

My question is how much of a difference does primarily Lebron make in this kind of equation? Rondo, Mcgee, the development of our young guys among others will obviously play a key. However, if you had to look ahead and speculate the number of wins we could get against these 5 teams who will be competing for a playoff spot in the west, how many out of 18 (number of times we play them this year combined) do we win?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject:

Who do these teams have that will stop LBJ?

Ingles?
Butler?
Tobias Harris?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject:

That is a great observation. I had not realized the Laker record was so pitiful against those teams.

To state the obvious, the Lakers are not the same team this year. IMO you are downplaying the new players and development a bit. Compared to last year this team is much deeper, more position flexible and have solid leadership on the court at all times.

If the Lakers can find roster chemistry and stay relatively healthy. If they can “ all” buy in to the season goals. If they can be allowed to play together without the looming pressure of mid season roster moves. There are a lot of uncertainties but if they can pull it together they can be at least 9-9 against those teams. Perhaps even 10 -8 if team identity/rotations can be set early in the season.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1-16 Against the Jazz, Pelicans, Wolves, Blazers and Clippers

Zubolo wrote:
This never really hit me till I listened to an argument made by Laker and Lebron hater extraordinaire Rob Parker on FS1.

As much as we found some decent level of success against some of the elite teams, how we fared against the middling teams was somewhat disturbing. Our only win out of the 17 games inferred to in the header came in the last game of the season against the Clippers, which was kinda meaningless since both teams were essentially resting key guys.

My question is how much of a difference does primarily Lebron make in this kind of equation? Rondo, Mcgee, the development of our young guys among others will obviously play a key. However, if you had to look ahead and speculate the number of wins we could get against these 5 teams who will be competing for a playoff spot in the west, how many out of 18 (number of times we play them this year combined) do we win?

I think it's kinda irrelevant, since the variables have changed. Those games were close, and we have improved dramatically. If I was a guessing man, I will assume we will be at least .500 against those teams.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

Of the 5 teams listed, I'd argue that 3/5 teams have gotten worse this offseason (Clips, Pels, Blazers). Jazz and TWolves about the same.

But of course we improved tremendously with LBJ and our young kids will improve dramatically too.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

Means absolutely nothing...zero....brand new team with the best player in the NBA. Mute point.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Means absolutely nothing...zero....brand new team with the best player in the NBA. Mute point.

Sorry for being “that guy” but pretty sure you mean moot point.

Unless you intended on saying a “moo point”. But that is an entirely different meaning. And only relevant if you have seen too many re-runs of Friends.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

What’s Cavs record against those teams last season? cause our team now is better than that
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

I think we such a young roster we were simply more likely to play to the level of our opponents last year. I didn’t realize it was quite as bad as 1-16 for those teams, but as mentioned we were in most of them (just didn’t get the W).

It’s an interesting find, but overall as mentioned already, we have a new team that will have new challenges and opportunities mostly unrelated to last years’ performance.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Means absolutely nothing...zero....brand new team with the second best player in the NBA. Mute point.

Unless you intended on saying a “moo point”. But that is an entirely different meaning. And only relevant if you have seen too many re-runs of Friends.

He's trying to tell everyone shut up.

It doesn't need to be reiterated much more, the Lakers need to have a winning record against these teams if the playoffs is the goal.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Means absolutely nothing...zero....brand new team with the second best player in the NBA. Mute point.

It doesn't need to be reiterated much more, the Lakers need to have a winning record against these teams if the playoffs is the goal.

Exactly Diando...I actually thought it was a "mute" point...suggesting silence. My apologies to all for my incorrect grammar.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
diando wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Exactly Diando...I actually thought it was a "mute" point...suggesting silence. My apologies to all for my incorrect grammar.

so which one is it.....I have read it 3 times and do not see the issue.....I even pushed the moot button on my television so I could focus while reading.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1-16 Against the Jazz, Pelicans, Wolves, Blazers and Clippers

Zubolo wrote:

Considering he's done it for so many years in the East, Lebron will make a huge difference when it comes to getting wins against mid-level and bad teams.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

lol sure
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1-16 Against the Jazz, Pelicans, Wolves, Blazers and Clippers

Zubolo wrote:

So at least 8 more wins right there starting with opening night.

#BannersOverBillboards
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
King Randle wrote:

lol sure

was not KR's quote....that part was added by diando
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

Not too worried about our record against those teams

We did not hit our stride until Jan 4 our lowers point of the season 11-27 (16 under .500), finished the rest of year 24-20.

if we looked at it that way, we played those team 7 times

Clip - We won our only game

Jazz - We are down 6 on the 3rd on one and 6 on the half on the other

Wolves - We are ahead 7 on the 3rd on one and 7 on the half on the other

Pelican - one blowout and ahead 11 on 3rd on the other

Blazers - We are ahead 7 on the 3rd

All the games are winnable except for one maybe 2, Pelican weaker without Rondo, Clippers, Pelicans and Blazers does not look improved to me. Only the Jazz looks difficult, because of there defense. With Lebron and another year on our belt, I expect winning at least half of those games at the min.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
King Randle wrote:

lol sure

was not KR's quote....that part was added by diando

aha thanks. my bad King Randle
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

New team, new year, not sure how this is relevant other than let's not go 1-16 against them this year.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Not too worried about our record against those teams

We did not hit our stride until Jan 4 our lowers point of the season 11-27 (16 under .500), finished the rest of year 24-20.

if we looked at it that way, we played those team 7 times

Clip - We won our only game

Jazz - We are down 6 on the 3rd on one and 6 on the half on the other

Wolves - We are ahead 7 on the 3rd on one and 7 on the half on the other

Pelican - one blowout and ahead 11 on 3rd on the other

Blazers - We are ahead 7 on the 3rd

All the games are winnable except for one maybe 2, Pelican weaker without Rondo, Clippers, Pelicans and Blazers does not look improved to me. Only the Jazz looks difficult, because of there defense. With Lebron and another year on our belt, I expect winning at least half of those games at the min.

Excellent breakdown Dr Laker. I guess I was trying to see a glass half full way of looking at it without just saying.. "hey we have Lebron!!"

Seeing how we fared in the second half of last season.. where we were 24-20.. I am inclined to put more stock in those games. I think we made a terrible mistake last season not starting Randle. Now we take Randle and replace him with Lebron and that alone should put us at least 10-8 versus these teams.

Rondo major upgrade to the bench as opposed to Ennis/Caruso (I like Caruso though). Kuzma gets better, Hart gets better, Ingram and Lonzo presumably get better.. I like our chances to go 12-6 based on internal improvements PLUS the addition of James. Beating these mid-level teams will say a lot about where we finish in the standings, hence why I started this post.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

It could also be a moo point because it's total BS.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

I doubt there's much useful information learned in a dissection of those games with those squads, especially since we have the perspective of the Lakers having added one of the league's three best players since the 2017-2018 season end.

If LeBron hadn't brought his particular history (no losing NBA seasons), always the best player of his squad, career averages (27ppg, 7 apg and 7 rpg) and essentially no statistical downturn so far, I might find last season more relevant. But a healthy LJ here changes the potential for essentially everything, every aspect of Laker team dynamics from here on.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1-16 Against the Jazz, Pelicans, Wolves, Blazers and Clippers

Zubolo wrote:

I already brought that up 5 days ago. He must've read my post about it and just copied me like everyone else does. It's really MY great point, but I'm learning to share my GREATNESS more with each passing year. Rob wants to be a somebody like me.

NPZ, 8/15:
Fifty is doable with a top 3 (or 1?) player. We'll finally (hopefully) start beating LAC, MIN, POR for just a few examples. Start adding some of those piles of bad losses from last year to 35 wins. They lost their first 10 games against those three teams alone.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Was this in undisputed or cowherd?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: