OFFICIAL: College Football 2018 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

one thing that should be mentioned is that officiating crew in Austin were a joke....beyond hitting us with multiple penalties for the "horns down" sign, they threw our best offensive lineman out of the game in the 1st half for hitting a player with his open hand to the shoulder pad! I get it maybe being a penalty, but never saw a player get tossed for such an action. Finally, they called 2 Defensive holding penalties on the nose guard (one on each team). I have never seen that before in a game.....unless it is a tackle or end out in space. I get it, the nose guard can't hold up the offensive lineman from getting to their assigned linebacker block, but replay showed neither was egregious if legit at all. We (WVU) came into the game averaging about 60 yards of penalties a game, and they hung 120 yards of penalties on us....Texas came in averaging 70 yards per game, and walked away with only 60 yards in penalties.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

Has there ever been a kickoff in college football that went for negative yards or did Nebraska just set the bar?

And Adkindo, I feel your pain about penalties (especially against Texas).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Week 11 CFP Rankings

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Michigan
5. Georgia
6. Oklahoma
7. LSU
8. Washington State
9. West Virginia
10. Ohio State

LINK
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Week 11 CFP Rankings

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Michigan
5. Georgia
6. Oklahoma
7. LSU
8. Washington State
9. West Virginia
10. Ohio State

LINK

You follow college football more than I do, so I'll just ask this: is Washington State even one of the 20 best college football teams in America? My instinct would be that the answer is no.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Week 11 CFP Rankings

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Michigan
5. Georgia
6. Oklahoma
7. LSU
8. Washington State
9. West Virginia
10. Ohio State

LINK

You follow college football more than I do, so I'll just ask this: is Washington State even one of the 20 best college football teams in America? My instinct would be that the answer is no.

maybe a Top 20 team....but I am confident WVU would beat them by 3 touchdowns, and I am also confident they are not the best team in the PAC12. That said, although I was really surprised the committee had them ranked higher than WVU, they have won their games and I think it will work out in the end. I think Washington State likely falls to both Arizona and Washington to close the season. Still, I like Mike Leach and enjoy his team being relevant.....college football can always use more Mike Leach. I would love for Kansas to open up the wallet and bring him back to the Big12.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I mostly have no problem with the rankings through the Top 6....I would likely swap Georgia and Oklahoma, but that will take care of itself in the end. I do think the committee made a mistake starting @ 7. I think #7-#10 should have been...

7. West Virgina
8. Ohio State
9. Washington State
10. UCF

I know LSU has some big wins, but they still walked onto the field twice and lost. Even though it was to the current #1 and #15, they demonstrated in those games and others they do not have the offense to compete at the highest level. We do not know that about Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia, Oklahoma or even West Virginia at this point. I am a little worried because LSU should win their final 3 games (Arkansas, Rice and TA&M), and is there a chance the committee would include them over a 1 loss Big12, PAC12, or even a Big10 team if Ohio State wins out?

West Virginia belongs ahead of Washington State, and I think the reasons are beyond clear. Washington State played no Power 5 teams in the non-conference, have no wins against any team in the current Top 25, lost to a currently unranked USC team that is 5-4, and have squeezed out wins against several mediocre teams. Although WVU had 2 P5 teams on the non-conference schedule, NC State was cancelled, and Tennessee has proven to be better than anticipated this season...potentially finding themselves in a bowl game. WVU has road wins @ Texas Tech and Texas, and the only loss was @ currently ranked #22 Iowa State. Also, outside of the Iowa State game and the shootout @ Texas, WVU has never been behind in any other game at any point of the game.....which suggests although they also have 1 loss, they have been much more dominant in their schedule. WVU ranks #25 in current strength of schedule, while Washington State ranks 57th. What possibly could the committee have been looking at?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

If Washington State isn’t a top 20 team I seriously doubt they will continue to only have 1 loss.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

Notre Dame QB Ian Book out vs. Florida State

Quote:
Notre Dame quarterback Ian Book will not play in Saturday's game against Florida State due to an undisclosed injury, a source confirmed to ESPN.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

Someone preparing for the next time the PAC12 expands?

New stadium initiative for San Diego State passes on election day

Quote:
Voters in San Diego have approved a ballot measure that paves the way for a new football stadium for San Diego State.

LINK

I assume it will be built with future capacity expansion being possible. I am guessing the PAC12 would require more than 35K seats. I know UCF's stadium was built with 45k seats, but they built it with expansion in mind, and already have plans to add 10k seats to meet the requirement of the Power 5 conferences in case one comes calling.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

really good article about WVU tailgating from ESPN....

Moonshine and the Mountaineers: West Virginia's tailgate tradition

Quote:
"Moonshine is part of our heritage," says Darrell Brown of Burnsville, who has supplied the tailgate he regularly attends in the Blue Lot in front of J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital, which sits across the street from the stadium. "It's a way to bring people together."

Quote:
Many great culinary inventions have their perfectly matched companions. Cheeseburgers have french fries. Peanut butter has jelly. Around Mountaineer Field, moonshine has pepperoni rolls, the other West Virginia tailgating staple, alongside white lightnin' jars.

LINK
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I figured Book was hurt at some point with how reckless he has been at times.

I don't trust Wimbush much but they must think they can beat FSU with him compared to Syracuse.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Wake Forest goes into Raleigh and knocks off #14 NC State....27-23.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I mostly have no problem with the rankings through the Top 6....I would likely swap Georgia and Oklahoma, but that will take care of itself in the end. I do think the committee made a mistake starting @ 7. I think #7-#10 should have been...

7. West Virgina
8. Ohio State
9. Washington State
10. UCF

I know LSU has some big wins, but they still walked onto the field twice and lost. Even though it was to the current #1 and #15, they demonstrated in those games and others they do not have the offense to compete at the highest level. We do not know that about Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia, Oklahoma or even West Virginia at this point. I am a little worried because LSU should win their final 3 games (Arkansas, Rice and TA&M), and is there a chance the committee would include them over a 1 loss Big12, PAC12, or even a Big10 team if Ohio State wins out?

West Virginia belongs ahead of Washington State, and I think the reasons are beyond clear. Washington State played no Power 5 teams in the non-conference, have no wins against any team in the current Top 25, lost to a currently unranked USC team that is 5-4, and have squeezed out wins against several mediocre teams. Although WVU had 2 P5 teams on the non-conference schedule, NC State was cancelled, and Tennessee has proven to be better than anticipated this season...potentially finding themselves in a bowl game. WVU has road wins @ Texas Tech and Texas, and the only loss was @ currently ranked #22 Iowa State. Also, outside of the Iowa State game and the shootout @ Texas, WVU has never been behind in any other game at any point of the game.....which suggests although they also have 1 loss, they have been much more dominant in their schedule. WVU ranks #25 in current strength of schedule, while Washington State ranks 57th. What possibly could the committee have been looking at?

OSU shouldn't even be in the top 10. Got smoked by Purdue and almost lost to a bad Neb team at home.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
adkindo wrote:

7. West Virgina
8. Ohio State
9. Washington State
10. UCF

OSU shouldn't even be in the top 10. Got smoked by Purdue and almost lost to a bad Neb team at home.

And Indiana, and Minnesota. We have been awful since the PSU game. There is something really off about this OSU team. This team comes out flat every game. The fans at the 2 games I've been at have been very apathetic as well. It seems like losing Bosa was a major blow to this team emotionally. They had much more fire in the beginning of the season. DC Greg Schiano has been out schemed almost every week it seems, and up until last week they haven't been able to run the ball at all, and we have 2 really good RB's.

I totally expect us to lose this week to MSU. I have no faith in our defense or ST.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
adkindo wrote:

7. West Virgina
8. Ohio State
9. Washington State
10. UCF

woah....WOAH....I'll have you know, we are by far the best damn 2-7 team in the country, and I will not have you besmirch the Huskers good name.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
adkindo wrote:

7. West Virgina
8. Ohio State
9. Washington State
10. UCF

And Indiana, and Minnesota. We have been awful since the PSU game. There is something really off about this OSU team. This team comes out flat every game. The fans at the 2 games I've been at have been very apathetic as well. It seems like losing Bosa was a major blow to this team emotionally. They had much more fire in the beginning of the season. DC Greg Schiano has been out schemed almost every week it seems, and up until last week they haven't been able to run the ball at all, and we have 2 really good RB's.

I totally expect us to lose this week to MSU. I have no faith in our defense or ST.

you guys have a point....I am hesitant to write them off because they still have a lot of talent on the field...even of the defense. I even feel similar when I look at USC who have been terrible this season....but there is a lot of talent that could begin to figure things out on any weekend.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I figured Book was hurt at some point with how reckless he has been at times.

I don't trust Wimbush much but they must think they can beat FSU with him compared to Syracuse.

I am a fan of two teams each weekend until the end of the season....WVU and whoever is playing Notre Dame....you have to understand, it's just business at this point.

I need team(s) to lose!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

as Florida State tries to save their season with a big win in South Bend.....the weather is forecast to be mid 20's with possible snow.....try and tell me the big guy upstairs does not have a soft spot for Notre Dame.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

All week I have heard that Oklahoma is the clear favorite to win the Big12 over WVU....and honestly I have mostly just went along with it, but after closely comparing the teams, I am not sure what their basis is this season. Both teams have very similar resume's.....

- Both teams have 1 loss.

- Best OoC win...Oklahoma @ Home (UCLA 49-21 (2-7)) WVU @ Neutral (Tennessee - 40-14 (4-5))

- Common Opponents

Kansas State
- WVU won @ Home 35-6
- Oklahoma won @ Home 51-14

Iowa State
- WVU lost @ ISU 30-14
- Oklahoma won @ ISU 37-27

Texas
- WVU won @ Texas 42-41
- Oklahoma lost on neutral field 48-45

Texas Tech
- WVU won @ Texas Tech 42-34
- Oklahoma won @ Texas Tech 51-46

Baylor
- WVU won @ Home 58-14
- Oklahoma won @ Home 66-33

Other important notes...
- Oklahoma needed OT to win @ Home against Army
- with the exception of the Iowa State loss and the shootout @ Texas, WVU has never trailed during any other game at any point.
- Oklahoma's win against Iowa State was before Brock Purdy took over the QB position. Iowa State has not came close to losing since Purdy begin starting. They were 1-3 without Purdy, and 4-0 with Purdy.

If the committee and the national media is looking at the same information, why is Oklahoma ranked #6 and WVU #9....and even more, why is the national media narrative that Oklahoma will be the clear favorite @ WVU?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
as Florida State tries to save their season with a big win in South Bend.....the weather is forecast to be mid 20's with possible snow.....try and tell me the big guy upstairs does not have a soft spot for Notre Dame.

The drought wouldn't be 30 years and counting if that was the case... however yeah that sounds about right I'm in Indy(4 hours south of SB) and its 30s so they are usually 10 degrees colder.

I hope this means ND runs the ball more...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
All week I have heard that Oklahoma is the clear favorite to win the Big12 over WVU....and honestly I have mostly just went along with it, but after closely comparing the teams, I am not sure what their basis is this season. Both teams have very similar resume's.....

- Both teams have 1 loss.

- Best OoC win...Oklahoma @ Home (UCLA 49-21 (2-7)) WVU @ Neutral (Tennessee - 40-14 (4-5))

- Common Opponents

Kansas State
- WVU won @ Home 35-6
- Oklahoma won @ Home 51-14

Iowa State
- WVU lost @ ISU 30-14
- Oklahoma won @ ISU 37-27

Texas
- WVU won @ Texas 42-41
- Oklahoma lost on neutral field 48-45

Texas Tech
- WVU won @ Texas Tech 42-34
- Oklahoma won @ Texas Tech 51-46

Baylor
- WVU won @ Home 58-14
- Oklahoma won @ Home 66-33

Other important notes...
- Oklahoma needed OT to win @ Home against Army
- with the exception of the Iowa State loss and the shootout @ Texas, WVU has never trailed during any other game at any point.
- Oklahoma's win against Iowa State was before Brock Purdy took over the QB position. Iowa State has not came close to losing since Purdy begin starting. They were 1-3 without Purdy, and 4-0 with Purdy.

If the committee and the national media is looking at the same information, why is Oklahoma ranked #6 and WVU #9....and even more, why is the national media narrative that Oklahoma will be the clear favorite @ WVU?

just another example.....

TCU
- Oklahoma won @ TCU 52-27
- WVU won @ Home 47-10
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Weird penalty in the Miss-A&M game, a flag for having two #9s in on the same play.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Weird penalty in the Miss-A&M game, a flag for having two #9s in on the same play.

I did not see it, but I have seen it before. Team puts in an offensive package that includes a player that normally plays defense....then when they run it on game day, for whatever reason the offensive player with the same number ends up on the field at the same time.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Northwestern...a team that lost to Akron who has a losing record in the MAC will play for the Big10 Championship. This will only get better if Pitt makes the ACC Championship game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Florida State is embarrassing itself @ Notre Dame.....but BC is holding up better than expected early in the game against Clemson.

Two really good games going on in the American....Houston trying to climb out of a big early deficit to Temple in the 3rd Quarter.....and USF and Cincinnati in a rock fight in the 3rd Quarter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 18 of 40
Jump to: