OFFICIAL: College Football 2018 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
We need to have West Virginia vs. UCF in a bowl game, so you can get really confused.

no confusion my man....I would hope WVU hung 70 points on them, and taught them a lesson about trying the Mountaineers. I have some positive thoughts about several teams.....but my primary concern is and will always be related to WVU.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

Helton confident he's on safe ground at USC

Quote:
As speculation about his job security has intensified, USC coach Clay Helton said he feels confident that he has the support of the university and expects to remain at the school.

"I have a lot of support from [athletic director] Lynn Swann," Helton said. "Lynn, every Monday, walks into my office and has given me nothing but, 'Coach, we're in this for the long haul. We're going to get this done.' That's what I've felt from day one and what I felt after the Cal game also. I know, in my heart, I'm going to be here."

LINK

I am not as confident as he claims to be....I would have to think 1-1 to finish the season would put his future in doubt, and going 0-2 (UCLA, Notre Dame) would have to end his time at USC?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

Hah! Show me the money.

Quote:
Regardless of what happens in Tiger Stadium on Saturday (Nov. 17), Rice will be receiving a hefty payout from LSU.

LSU is forking over $1.4 million to Rice for the game, per the game contract. According to the contract, that money is due to Rice on or before Jan. 31, 2019.

The $1.4 million figure is the highest LSU has paid an opponent during the Ed Orgeron era. Though, the contract was signed on Nov. 14, 2015 — well before Orgeron took over as head coach.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2018/11/rice-to-get-highest-opponent-payout-in-ed-orgeron-era.html
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
One Reason Why Rice Will Win

So what is Rice doing right?

The passing game is starting to look a wee bit stronger.

In a perfect world under head coach Mike Bloomgren, the Owls are a power running team. But over the last three games, the offense has been able air it out a wee bit with well over 700 yards, including a 313-yard day against UTEP.

The LSU passing game started to click a little bit down the field against Arkansas, but the defense took its foot of the gas and had problems late. The amazing Tiger secondary allowed 200 yards or more through the air in three of the last four games.

It has to be soft against the Owls.

However, to have any shot of keeping this from being brutal, Rice has to hope LSU mails it in as it preps for the showdown at Texas A&M to close out the regular season.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/11/rice-vs-lsu-fearless-prediction-game-preview
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
BROOKS KUBENA
LSU 52, Rice 7

LSU has lost to Rice once in the last 51 years — a 17-7 setback in 1980, during the first season of former coach Jerry Stovall. That Rice team went 5-6 and LSU went 7-4. These are not those Tigers, and neither are these those Owls. Prepare to see LSU experiment in plenty of its personnel groups, and keep your program roster handy.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_457cfd7a-e3e3-11e8-b4a0-83ba106e4314.html

Hah! I was at that game in 1980. It was pouring rain. At the end of the first half, we sent out our tight end to attempt a 50+ yard field goal. He made it. the rest is history. We had been playing home-and-away with LSU for years, but after that game LSU never came back to Rice Stadium.

https://swcroundup.com/news/2018/11/13/the-last-time-rice-beat-lsu
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Rice Hangs on as #1 in the Bottom Ten
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

^^^you guys do not leave Texas much to recruit, huh? Looking over roster, and appears about 90% is from Texas. My favorite is Place Kicker Jack Fox....he must be all about privacy....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3916370
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^you guys do not leave Texas much to recruit, huh? Looking over roster, and appears about 90% is from Texas. My favorite is Place Kicker Jack Fox....he must be all about privacy....

The recruiting limitation for Rice is academics. The average SAT score at Rice is pushing 1500 these days. We do lower our cutoff for athletes, but nowhere near as much as most Division I schools. Rice is too small to have a separate remedial track for jocks. The alumni would never stand for it anyway. So while we do cut some corners compared to regular undergraduates, we have to recruit athletes who are going to be able to handle the coursework.

But yes, a little school like Rice is usually going to recruit regionally. Kids from Ohio don't dream of following in the footsteps of . . . er, someone from Rice.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The recruiting limitation for Rice is academics. The average SAT score at Rice is pushing 1500 these days. We do lower our cutoff for athletes, but nowhere near as much as most Division I schools. Rice is too small to have a separate remedial track for jocks. The alumni would never stand for it anyway. So while we do cut some corners compared to regular undergraduates, we have to recruit athletes who are going to be able to handle the coursework.

But yes, a little school like Rice is usually going to recruit regionally. Kids from Ohio don't dream of following in the footsteps of . . . er, someone from Rice.

assuming you were an athlete or standards were lower back in the day?

Honestly, it feels like standards at most schools have significantly elevated in recent decades. When I entered as an undergrad, I had a good GPA and solid test scores.....but it felt like at the time all you needed was a HS Diploma and a pulse to go to West Virginia. Now I see the entry requirements even at WV for a freshman....and I would have been sweating a little bit waiting on the letter.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Well, I definitely wasn't an athlete.

I'm surprised it took a high school diploma to get into West Virginia. Seriously, though, I get the sense that admissions requirements at the big state schools have gone up across the board. At least down here, the big state schools are a lot better than they used to be. We used to refer to U of H as Cougar High, and we regarded it as a glorified junior college. There was an element of truth in that perception. Today, it's become a pretty respectable school. This is especially true for A&M, which was basically a glorified ROTC program not that long ago.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Les Miles must really want the Kansas job! He agreed to a $1.5 Million buyout from LSU who still owed him $6.5 Million . Seems like a bad financial move, but he is 65 years old, is very likely financially comfortable, and wants one more chance to coach a Power 5 team.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
As speculation about his job security has intensified, USC coach Clay Helton said he feels confident that he has the support of the university and expects to remain at the school.

"I have a lot of support from [athletic director] Lynn Swann," Helton said. "Lynn, every Monday, walks into my office and has given me nothing but, 'Coach, we're in this for the long haul. We're going to get this done.' That's what I've felt from day one and what I felt after the Cal game also. I know, in my heart, I'm going to be here."

LINK

I am not as confident as he claims to be....I would have to think 1-1 to finish the season would put his future in doubt, and going 0-2 (UCLA, Notre Dame) would have to end his time at USC?

Most of the USC faithful would want Helton gone, but the question is who would replace him?

Who is the miracle coach they could get to turn it around?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Les Miles must really want the Kansas job! He agreed to a $1.5 Million buyout from LSU who still owed him $6.5 Million . Seems like a bad financial move, but he is 65 years old, is very likely financially comfortable, and wants one more chance to coach a Power 5 team.

I could see Les drastically improving that moribund program.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I could see Les drastically improving that moribund program.

some people say it is a lost cause, but Mangino had them one win away from the Big 12 Championship Game and a likely birth in the national championship a decade ago.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

He'll get paid a lot more than the 5 million difference between what he is owed and the resulting payout. So no brainer on his behalf.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Most of the USC faithful would want Helton gone, but the question is who would replace him?

Unfortunately, the coaching turnover at USC has been ridiculous ever since Pete Carroll left the program. You can't really build a stable long term program if you keep firing coaches because they had a bad season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

He'll get paid a lot more than the 5 million difference between what he is owed and the resulting payout. So no brainer on his behalf.

maybe if Kansas decides to significantly increase their coach salary....current coach only makes $1.6 Million per year. Head coach @ a FBS program is 70+ hours a week for a big part of the year....that compared to $6.5 Million to play golf and live his best life? Not a no brainer to me.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

He's a midwest kid, but Matt Campbell is #1 on my 'want' list. Mike Norvell is on the short list as is Jason Candle.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject:

Can you smell that? Yeah, it is the rivalry week part of the college football schedule.....

UCLA's Bruin Bear statue vandalized in USC colors ahead of rivalry game

Quote:
Ahead of this week's UCLA-USC rivalry game, a well-known UCLA statue was vandalized with red and yellow paint, according to school police.

LINK
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Can you smell that? Yeah, it is the rivalry week part of the college football schedule.....

Quote:
Ahead of this week's UCLA-USC rivalry game, a well-known UCLA statue was vandalized with red and yellow paint, according to school police.

LINK

A lot of stuff like that happened on the UCLA campus when I was a student during USC week.

I would also like to state, for the record, that UCLA never lost to USC while I was a student.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

A lot of stuff like that happened on the UCLA campus when I was a student during USC week.

I would also like to state, for the record, that UCLA never lost to USC while I was a student.

I would prefer that things were not vandalized....unless it was some form of easily removable paint....but the pranks in general are fun as long as nobody gets hurt. Around this time every year they bring up the MIT prank at the '82 Harvard-Yale game which is still claimed to have been the best.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25276347/best-college-football-prank-harvard-yale-mit-balloon
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Hah! The War Owls are just the vanguard for the conquest of the SEC. I have to give this guy high marks for originality. I never heard a pun about the name of William Marsh Rice University before. Brilliant. Truly, this guy must be an LSU alumni.

Quote:
In a schedule that only Steve Harvey would have loved — not comedian Steve Harvey but the Steve Harvey who invented the Bottom 10 rankings (“Texas at El Intercepted Paso, Cal State Disneyland, etc.”) — we give you the week we wish that wasn’t in the SEC:

• U.S. Rice Producers Association at LSU.

• Auburn vs. Chattanooga Company of Trainspotters (the “Fighting Choo-Choos”).

• Citadel Radio (a real company) at Alabama.

• Idaho Potato Commission at Florida.

• Massachusetts Society Sons of the American Revolution at Georgia: One if by land, two if by sea, three if they opt for a running clock in the second half.

• Middle Tennessee School of Automotive Repair at Kentucky.

• Liberty Actuarial Club (a real club) at Auburn.

• Ole Miss at Vanderbilt: No need for a rent-a-win gimmicks, here. This is your classic Bottom 10 Crummy Game of the Week, both teams being 1-5 in SEC play.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_fb540970-e949-11e8-8449-ab0d1c7d69c4.html
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Ah, the smell of fear.

Quote:
Apparently, bad memories of the Troy Trojans celebrating a stunning upset triumph in Death Valley last season remain fresh in the Cajun coach's mind.

"Listen, man. We learned our lesson last year and that's not going to happen to us again," Orgeron said. "So we're going full bore against these guys."

https://tucson.com/sports/no-lsu-orgeron-mindful-of-past-upsets-as-rice-arrives/article_8f88e722-9644-54b5-99b8-7f6b89a612e9.html
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
We need to have West Virginia vs. UCF in a bowl game, so you can get really confused.

oh no Aeneas Hunter, my biggest fear...if WVU and UCF both win tonight at the Myrtle Beach Invitational, they will meet Sunday in the Championship Game!

WVU has actually played UCF in football a couple times....in 2003 in Morgantown, and in 2004 the Mountaineers came here and played UCF at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando (now Camping World Stadium). I had just moved back to FL from WV, and the firm I worked for had a box suite....so it was kind of a reunion for me as people from the Charleston, WV office traveled down and shared the box. The Suites at the Citrus Bowl before they renovated it recently were not very VIPish.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

Uh, go Monmouth!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 20 of 40
Jump to: