OFFICIAL: College Football 2018 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
-- All summer the experts told us that Texas and Miami was back! Guess not so much.

It's a long season, but it was sort of funny watching people's heads explode when the Longhorns struggled against Maryland. As an alumnus of a small private school who is surrounded by hardcore fans of UT and A&M, the last few years have been both annoying (Johnny Football, all the crying and moaning about the freaking Longhorn Network, Aggie billboards proclaiming Kevin Sumlin as "Commander in Chief," and more) and humorous (all of the above when the programs stumble).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
-- All summer the experts told us that Texas and Miami was back! Guess not so much.

It's a long season, but it was sort of funny watching people's heads explode when the Longhorns struggled against Maryland. As an alumnus of a small private school who is surrounded by hardcore fans of UT and A&M, the last few years have been both annoying (Johnny Football, all the crying and moaning about the freaking Longhorn Network, Aggie billboards proclaiming Kevin Sumlin as "Commander in Chief," and more) and humorous (all of the above when the programs stumble).

your guys looked like they were going to give Houston a scare this weekend....are they improved this season?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

this Cornerback that Va. Tech is picking on, Levonta Taylor, is a Junior and was a 5 Star Prospect....#7 overall player & #1 Conerback in the 2016 national class! Dude is just too short for these big Va. Tech receivers.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
If your name is Terius Wheatley, son of Tyrone Wheatley.....and your home town is Ann Arbor, Michigan, how do you find yourself in the Va. Tech backfield running the ball as a Freshman?!?!? Michigan did not even offer

It happens... sometimes the son wants his own path in life.

Or they didn't think that the son can be as good as the father.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

^^^yeah, you are correct. Maybe even stranger....Dana Holgorsen's (the head coach at my West Virginia University) son is a Senior 3 Star Prospect QB in Morgantown, WV this season.....and West Virginia did not even offer. He committed to North Texas, then changed it to Bowling Green. I am really surprised WVU did not even offer....or that he is not just walking on, but I guess he feels he will get a better and fair chance to play at a smaller school.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
your guys looked like they were going to give Houston a scare this weekend....are they improved this season?

We led at the half, but Houston prevailed in the end. There are three possible explanations:

1. It was just a fluke. U of H didn't take the game seriously and went out drinking the night before the game.

2. U of H is in decline after losing so must coaching talent -- Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, and Tom Herman.

3. Rice is a lot better than expected. After all, last week we had a big fourth quarter comeback to beat A&M by three points! (Okay, okay, it was Prairie View A&M, but Prairie View is only about 20 miles from College Station. I say it counts.)

#1 is the most likely, but you never know, it could be #3. I guess we'll find out when we play the grudge match against LSU in November. That game could have playoff implications! Yeah!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I expect #19 FSU to cover (-7) against #20 Va. Tech tonight fairly easy.

starting to realize that FSU is not back either.

btw, not impressed with Willie Taggart as a play caller.....some of these calls in the situation are just beyond stupid.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
btw, not impressed with Willie Taggart as a play caller.....some of these calls in the situation are just beyond stupid.

1st & 10 on your own 1 foot line...FSU runs a delayed hand off in the shotgun! You are giving the running back the ball 5-6 yards deep in his own endzone with 9 defenders in the box, mostly on the line of scrimmage! Taggart has been an embarrassment tonight.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

every time FSU gets a little momentum....a Va. Tech player falls down and pretends to be injured. I have seen it where it is questionable maybe one time in a game....but this is the 3rd or 4th time it is obvious. 100% classless.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/a_a_ron8488/status/1036809811546001408

I swear I have seen Pop Warner coaches that are better play callers than Willie Taggart.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Michigan, UCLA, Florida State, Miami all with duds in the first game.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Of Florida State's 63 offensive plays tonight, 35 went for 0 or negative yards (55.5%).

That is the highest percentage of negative plays for the Seminoles since Nov, 25, 2006 against Florida.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1036818695744643077?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1036818695744643077%7Ctwgr%5E373939313b636f6e74726f6c&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforumserver.twoplustwo.com%2F46%2Fsporting-events%2Fncaa-football-week-1-thread-1721370%2Findex42.html
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
Of Florida State's 63 offensive plays tonight, 35 went for 0 or negative yards (55.5%).

That is the highest percentage of negative plays for the Seminoles since Nov, 25, 2006 against Florida.

it was hard to watch....it was clear FSU's Offensive line gave them no chance to run between the tackles within the first couple drives of the game.....but they had some success running on the perimeter and quick timed passing.....yet FSU was still trying to run up the middle late in the 4th Q!

Stat of the night....Cam Akers had 82 yards rushing on 14 carries. Ok, looks decent until you notice that his longest run of the night was 85 yards! He had -3 yards on the other 13 carries.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Nebraska game got delayed until tomorrow. Guess Fox sports got tired of waiting and are showing the Arizona State game instead.

that was anticlimactic...they showed Scott Frost leading them on the field....music blaring....sellout crowd decked out in Red and White going nuts....Akron kicked off...touchback....weather delay (lightning). Postponed to 10:30 AM ET tomorrow.

I was at that 'game' such a let down. Nothing unusual about a sellout crowd, it's been that way since before zip codes, but the first time in 10 years or so, the crowd had energy like I haven't felt since maybe Suh's senior season, if not longer. I'm fairly sure more than a few people were crying during the tunnel walk seeing Scott Frost lead this team onto the field. This team, state, fanbase wanted to explode in celebration with this game, and then effin weather hit. We stayed in the stadium for about 90 minutes, hoping, they turned on the Michigan ND game on the jumbo screens for us, it was fun until we got kicked out, hoping to be back the next morning. Then the news of no game Sunday, frustrating doesn't even begin to describe that feeling across this state. Colorado next saturday will be amazing. The history and vitriol between these two programs coupled with it now being the season opener, I cannot wait.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

^^^I am not familiar with their normal walk out......but it looked cool on TV. The building they exited from under the stadium had some light show going on inside.....then I think it was Allan Parsons Project playing as they emerged to do the walk....and then you see Frost in front leading the Huskers on the field.

I was pumped, and I have no love or hate toward Nebraska.

There are so many good ones in college. I love FSU's when the whole stadium is doing the Seminole War Chant , and then Chief Osceola comes out riding Renegade with the flaming spear and plants it right in the middle of Doak Campbell!

But nobody, and I mean nobody does it like Virginia Tech.

Growing up, Marshall University Thundering Herd coming out to AC/DC Thunderstruck was good....but my absolute favorite post game tradition is the one we saw in Charlotte this weekend....especially when it is away from Mountaineer Field. Them fools thought they were going to sing Rocky Top!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

^^^also, cannot leave out South Carolina coming out to 2001 Space Odyeesy....it is really cool in person.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

here was Nebraska....Scott Frost walking like he is swinging 13"
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Week 2 Polls....

Associated Press

Coaches Poll

ESPN Power Rankings

CBS Sports Power Rankings

I guess the pollsters want me to believe that Michigan State (who needed a comeback to win @ home against Utah State) and Penn State (who needed overtime to win @ home against App State) are still elite this year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

ESPN Heisman Watch

There is a new #1 this week, and just happens to sling the ball around the field for the WVU Mountaineers! I also look for McKenzie Milton (UCF) to stay in the race all season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

Glimpses of potential for the UCLA Bruins, but ultimately they are outclassed by a much superior team in OU.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
2. U of H is in decline after losing so must coaching talent -- Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, and Tom Herman.

think we can take this one off the list.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

a 2 screen 3:30....Colorado @ Nebraska & Georgia @ South Carolina
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Glimpses of potential for the UCLA Bruins, but ultimately they are outclassed by a much superior team in OU.

Freshman QB....Kelly is preparing for 2 years from now. I would not bet against him having UCLA in the PAC12 hunt most years from that point on. He use to get those SoCal kids to come the Eugene, Oregon....he will be like a kid in a candy store recruiting for UCLA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

Nebraska can not hold onto the ball to save their lives....3 fumbles in first two drives, Colorado has recovered 2 of them. Missing that Akron game may be haunting them.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

think we can take this one off the list.

Yep. I wartched some of that game. U of H came out really fired up. They seem to have a home game like that every year. I think it was Louisville last year and UCLA a year or two ago. I guess Rice should schedule more Pac 12 teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 3 of 40
Jump to: