Which high schools have been the most consistent in producing NBA quality talent?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Which high schools have been the most consistent in producing NBA quality talent?

Yes, I'm bored during the off-season like many of you, but this question popped in my mind recently.

We know which NBA teams are consistent in bringing about quality players (our Lakers at the top). And of course North Carolina, Kentucky and Duke are college teams known for doing the same. So, how about high schools?

I believe my school, Dominguez High (straight outta Compton), has been very respectable in this area... here's our list:

Dennis Johnson (Guard, '76 - '90)
    Cedric Ceballos (Forward, '90 - '01)
    Tyson Chandler (Center, '01 - Present)
    Tayshaun Prince (Forward, '02 - '16)
    Brandon Jennings (Guard, '09 - '18)

That's actually a pretty solid starting 5! Notice that the overlaps mean that a Dominguez High School product has been in the NBA every season for the last 42 years.

This is a summary of what they accomplished in the league:

5 NBA Championships
    1 Finals MVP
    1 Defensive Player of the Year award
    7 All Star appearances
    1 All-NBA First Team selections
    7 All-Defensive First Team selections
    1 Slam Dunk contest champion

While the offense is just decent, the defense on this squad is pretty impressive. Heh, I'd actually assemble and use this team in NBA 2K if they all showed up on classic rosters.

Are there any other high schools of note with multiple talented NBA players?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject:

Bishop Kearney H.S.

Pride of Rochester, NY
Home of Nick Tahou Garbage Plate and Corning Glass Factory/Museum

Thomas Bryant (LA Lakers/South Bay Lakers '17-'18, Washington Wizard '18-present)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Which high schools have been the most consistent in producing NBA quality talent?

joeblow wrote:

Are we including schools like Oak Hill, Montverde, Huntington Prep and DeMatha? Those schools have very large lists.

Oak Hill has 'Melo, Durant, Rondo, Josh Smith, Stephen Jackson, Rod Strickland, Brandon Jennings, Steve Blake, Michael Beasley, Ty Lawson, Ron Mercer, Quinn Cook, Jerry Stackhouse.

Montverde has Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, Luc Mbah a Moute, D'Angelo Russell, Dakari Johnson, R.J. Barrett

Dematha has Adrian Dantley, Danny Ferry, Keith Bogans, Victor Oladipo, Jerami & Jerian Grant, and Markelle Fultz

Last edited by adkindo on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:43 am; edited 2 times in total
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Do they have high school students? If so, why not? I'd be interested in seeing the lifetime rosters of NBA talent at other schools.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Do they have high school students? If so, why not? I'd be interested in seeing the lifetime rosters of NBA talent at other schools.

most of the top schools now are private schools....and have many players in the NBA now.....take a school like Huntington Prep in Huntington, WV....it just started in 2009, and already has several players in the NBA including Gorgui Dieng and Andrew Wiggins. Schools like Montverde, Sierra Canyon, Oak Hill, Bishop Gorman, Findley Prep, University (Ft. Lauderdale), Gonzaga Prep now recruit players from around the country and will just churn out professional athletes going forward. Most of the public schools elite talent gets picked off by these private schools that offer scholarships and national visibility.

Brandon Jennings is a good example....you list him for your school, but he transferred to Oak Hill for his Junior and Senior season.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. Although it makes sense, I had no idea private schools recruited so heavily.

In any case, I wonder if any public schools match up well with Dominguez High.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Which high schools have been the most consistent in producing NBA quality talent?

adkindo wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Are we including schools like Oak Hill, Montverde, Huntington Prep and DeMatha? Those schools have very large lists.

Oak Hill has 'Melo, Durant, Rondo, Josh Smith, Stephen Jackson, Rod Strickland, Brandon Jennings, Steve Blake, Michael Beasley, Ty Lawson, Ron Mercer, Quinn Cook, Jerry Stackhouse.

Montverde has Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, Luc Mbah a Moute, D'Angelo Russell, Dakari Johnson, R.J. Barrett

Dematha has Adrian Dantley, Danny Ferry, Keith Bogans, Victor Oladipo, Jerami & Jerian Grant, and Markelle Fultz
not counting oakhill. isnt that a 13th grade type of school? if so, I'm not so sure we can count it as a normal high school.

westchester has had a ton of nba dudes in starting mostly from the 90's til now.

https://basketball.realgm.com/highschool/teams/77/Westchester-High-School

now a lot as most hs' dont stick. they are also missing some. Jason hart played with the spurs came from westchester as well. But a lot of these L.A. players like other players graduate from one school but have attended many. a lot of players have gone to westerchester, transferred to Inglewood high, or transferred,or possibly chrenshaw as well.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
joeblow wrote:

most of the top schools now are private schools....and have many players in the NBA now.....take a school like Huntington Prep in Huntington, WV....it just started in 2009, and already has several players in the NBA including Gorgui Dieng and Andrew Wiggins. Schools like Montverde, Sierra Canyon, Oak Hill, Bishop Gorman, Findley Prep, University (Ft. Lauderdale), Gonzaga Prep now recruit players from around the country and will just churn out professional athletes going forward. Most of the public schools elite talent gets picked off by these private schools that offer scholarships and national visibility.

Brandon Jennings is a good example....you list him for your school, but he transferred to Oak Hill for his Junior and Senior season.
thats why i dont like counting oak hill. somebody about that school says 13th grade. lol. its more or less a basketball academy for basketball players. Other normal public schools are normal public schools. Its like the difference between a basketball school for a kid born overseas when thats their entire life growing up in these sports schools. they are almost mini professionals already.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which high schools have been the most consistent in producing NBA quality talent?

splashmtn wrote:
adkindo wrote:
joeblow wrote:

not counting oakhill. isnt that a 13th grade type of school? if so, I'm not so sure we can count it as a normal high school.

westchester has had a ton of nba dudes in starting mostly from the 90's til now.

https://basketball.realgm.com/highschool/teams/77/Westchester-High-School

now a lot as most hs' dont stick. they are also missing some. Jason hart played with the spurs came from westchester as well. But a lot of these L.A. players like other players graduate from one school but have attended many. a lot of players have gone to westerchester, transferred to Inglewood high, or transferred,or possibly chrenshaw as well.

No, all the schools I listed have normal age high school students....but they are boarding schools. I know some academy's like IMG and Hargrave have post graduate prep teams.

If your looking for the public high schools with the most players to play in the NBA....it will mostly be guys that played in the 90's or earlier....and a lot of them will be around big northern cities like New York, DC, Chicago, etc. DeWitt Clinton High in the Bronx, Mount Vernon in New York, Thomas Jefferson High was in Brooklyn, Dunbar in Baltimore, Overbrook in Philly and Proviso East in Chicago. The public school that has placed the most players in the NBA in the LA area is Crenshaw.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

The Internet provides:

https://www.elitedaily.com/sports/nba-high-schools-history/866392

DeWitt Clinton in the Bronx probably wins with three Hall of Famers:

Nate Archibald, Adrian Dantley, Dolph Schayes plus 9-year-veteran Tom Henderson, starting point guard for the Bullets championship team, and 7-year journeyman Ron Behagen

There's also Overbook in Philly:

Wilt Chamberlain; all-star Walt Hazzard; ABA all-star Wayne Hightower; Malik Rose, who won two rings with the Spurs; Mike Gale, who won a ring in the ABA; Wali Jones, who won a ring with the 76ers
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

^^^ if the list was current, Montverde would likely be on it. I would guess within 10 years, maybe only Oak Hill will still be in the top 10. Some of these private schools are producing 1-2 NBA players a year.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^ if the list was current, Montverde would likely be on it. I would guess within 10 years, maybe only Oak Hill will still be in the top 10. Some of these private schools are producing 1-2 NBA players a year.
thats why i keep saying these oak hill schools shouldnt count. they are basically poaching players from other schools. not all private schools do this but oak hills is known for this.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
adkindo wrote:
thats why i keep saying these oak hill schools shouldnt count. they are basically poaching players from other schools. not all private schools do this but oak hills is known for this.

Oak Hill was just one of the earliest schools to do it.....now it is widespread. Looked at the Top 25 via MaxPreps, and there are less than 10 public schools listed. I do not really know the benefits for the schools, but they must be significant because ton's of them are in that game now. Take the recently famous among Laker fans school, Sierra Canyon....it has been operating since the 70's as an elementary school, then around 2005 they expand to high school, and almost immediately they are trending towards being a powerhouse in several sports.

The truth is the really good public schools have been "recruiting" for decades, but since the private schools can do it in the open and more explicitly, it has made it less rewarding for public schools. Take OJ Mayo for example....he started high school at a private school in Kentucky (Rose Hill Christian), then transfers to a public school in Ohio (North College Hill) where he became "Mr. Ohio" (best high school player in Ohio), then transfers to a public high school in West Virginia (Huntington High) where he teamed up with Patrick Patterson and was voted high school player of the year in West Virginia. There is no reality where OJ just decided to transfer to those schools on his own. Just to add to that situation, when everyone began to blame Huntington for recruiting....some of the "recruiters" started a whole new private school called Huntington Prep in 2009, and has already produced multiple NBA players including the #1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins.

It really is just the new world of elite high school basketball. Oregon's top recruit this year, Bol Bol, attended 4 high schools.....Blue Valley Northwest (Kansas, public), Bishop Miege (Kansas, private), Mater Dei (California, private), Findlay Prep (Nevada, private). I agree that it has gotten a little crazy with these guys changing schools.....but recruiting elite players has been going on forever.

One last personal example/point....I grew up in a small coal town in WV....in the middle of nowhere....yet for much of the 70's, 80's and early 90's the local high school was elite within the state in basketball.....and even ranked nationally many years. I recall one year when I was in elementary school the only game the high school lost was to Oak Hill and finished the year ranked #13th in the country. How did the school do it? Recruiting. Within the last year I was watching the 1991 State championship game on YouTube....and in this little mostly white small coal town....the starting PG was 6'5" and the shortest guy in the starting lineup....and only the Center was Caucasian. All 7 Seniors from that team received full athletic scholarships. Something else they had in common....only 1 of them was originally from that town. Even after some got fed up and scrutiny began....the school launched into this new foreign exchange program....but weirdly, all the foreign kids were like 6'6" and could dunk. Last time I went back to a game there was somewhere in the 2000ish year range.....and they had 3 kids from Ukraine starting.
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Pretty sure that early 80's Dunbar H.S. team in Baltimore consisted of all neighborhood kids, 4 of whom made it to the NBA. Mugsy Bogues, David Wingate and the Reggie's, Williams and Lewis. Reggie Lewis was actually the 6th man on that team and still ended up with a D-1 scholarship. 31-0 and the #1 team in America without bringing in kids from all over the city, state or country. Another starter on that squad (forget name) ended up at Syracuse.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Shecky wrote:
Pretty sure that early 80's Dunbar H.S. team in Baltimore consisted of all neighborhood kids, 4 of whom made it to the NBA. Mugsy Bogues, David Wingate and the Reggie's, Williams and Lewis. Reggie Lewis was actually the 6th man on that team and still ended up with a D-1 scholarship. 31-0 and the #1 team in America without bringing in kids from all over the city, state or country. Another starter on that squad (forget name) ended up at Syracuse.

maybe....I have no idea, but Dunbar has a long history of elite basketball. I would be interested if all of those guys were actually zoned for that high school. Back then in those major northern cities, there would be high schools all over the city and relatively close in travel distance....yet it would always be one or two of them that seem to have all the good athletes. Again, that may not be the case with the team you reference.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: