NBA 2k19 vs NBA Live 19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: NBA 2k19 vs NBA Live 19

I can't remember the last time I purchased and played an NBA Live game but there are signs this year's version might be competitive with the 2k series.
The NBA Live 19 demo should be available today and 2k19 next week.
I hope NBA Live can at least be competitive so we can have more choices.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: NBA 2k19 vs NBA Live 19

Buck32 wrote:
I can't remember the last time I purchased and played an NBA Live game but there are signs this year's version might be competitive with the 2k series.
The NBA Live 19 demo should be available today and 2k19 next week.
I hope NBA Live can at least be competitive so we can have more choices.
i played two short games on the outside courts and live 19 seems to be have up'd their game. but you have to wait awhile until the cheesers/exploit abusers get a hold of the game and learn it a bit more. usually early on you get decent basketball, your created players are not at full strength so you have to play correctly in order to win or have a competitive game. but once people start maxing their guys(gals-now) out and learn some of the things they can do in the game. then we will see how good the game really is. a great basketball game will not be fun to an exploit abuser and would force him/her to change their game to match more realistic basketball principles.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

If you don't want to wait for the video game reviews. 2k is the safer bet. It has the higher player population which benefits the game in various ways.
Like roster updates, game features and functions, player feedback in terms of gameplay.

Live cut the distance in half with last years game (live 18). But there is no guarantee they'll pass 2k this year. It could happen. But I wouldn't say it's likely.

There are too many features they don't have that 2k has.
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I played the 5 on 5 practice mode in the Live 19 demo last night and was pretty impressed.

I'm probably going with Live this year as I didn't really enjoy the 2k experience last season.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

FloppyDiskz wrote:
I played the 5 on 5 practice mode in the Live 19 demo last night and was pretty impressed.

I'm probably going with Live this year as I didn't really enjoy the 2k experience last season.

Also tried the demo, but was not blown away. I guess I just have to wait for the reviews. This is like the 90's: should I buy the new Blur album or the Oasis album?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Haven’t bought an NBA game in about 6 years. Live19 has me thinking about it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject:

don't have a console, worth it to get it on a phone?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
FloppyDiskz wrote:

Also tried the demo, but was not blown away. I guess I just have to wait for the reviews. This is like the 90's: should I buy the new Blur album or the Oasis album?
you should never wait for reviews on a sports game. play it for yourself. If you have EA access you will be able to play the full game for a few days. Do that and get a true feel for it. Odds are you can't be blown away since its still a basketball video game. they all look really good nowadays. they all do some of the same stuff. its the same sport. so there isnt much to blow a person away with.

The things that could blow you away will be very subtle and you have to pay attention to detail to catch them. probably have to hit the pause button and head over to instant replay to see certain things.

I was messing around in practice yesterday with nba live. I finally did the new move where you can throw the ball thru the defenders leg while dribbling.

I paused it, zoomed in, moved the camera around while it was playing back. and you could clearly see a super smooth animation how my guy made the move. toss the ball in between the defenders legs, then was intentionally pushed by the defender in hopes he could stop me from getting to the now loose ball since its behind him now and in front of me. i still got to it in time to finish the play. but watching it in slow motion from every angle showed what live is capable of. I know 2k is doing something like that with the dribbling in the park(at least thats what mike wang said a few weeks ago.)
Truth is, if the same move was done in 2k. Two things would happen.

#1 To pull the move off would not be nearly as intuitive as the nba live control scheme. meaning, how you pull off some of these moves makes logical sense to if you actually were the ball handler and how you would have to do the move vs having a controller in your hands. 2k on the other hand would have some inputs you put it that would have no relationship to what the move actually looks like in real life or the angle you dribble in to pull such a move off.

ex.

To do around the back in 2k. you just pull the right analog down. thats it.

now that's not intuitive. its easy. but not realistic to how a behind the back move is done.

in live the same behind the back move is done by sweeping the right analog stick down from the ball hand to the non ball hand. So in essence you're moving the ball around your back(down) from one hand to the next. thats realism. why is this necessary? when stringing together combinations of dribbling. you should be able to almost figure it out for yourself how to do combination of dribble moves because they are done like they would be done in real life just with a controller in hand. thats not the case with 2k.

2k will have you making fighting game inputs to pull off certain moves. this is why non basketball players can be great at dribbling in 2k. while people who actually play the sport are a lot of times only so so at that aspect of it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
its not the same game on the phone but i heard the last nba live on the phone was pretty good.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
FloppyDiskz wrote:

you should never wait for reviews on a sports game. play it for yourself. If you have EA access you will be able to play the full game for a few days. Do that and get a true feel for it. Odds are you can't be blown away since its still a basketball video game. they all look really good nowadays. they all do some of the same stuff. its the same sport. so there isnt much to blow a person away with.

The things that could blow you away will be very subtle and you have to pay attention to detail to catch them. probably have to hit the pause button and head over to instant replay to see certain things.

I was messing around in practice yesterday with nba live. I finally did the new move where you can throw the ball thru the defenders leg while dribbling.

Good example, goes against the general perception that Live is arcade-like and 2k is more simulation. OTH someone posted an instance where an "invisible wall" prevented a player from stepping out of bounds in Live 19. That's just bad physics.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
governator wrote:
its not the same game on the phone but i heard the last nba live on the phone was pretty good.

yeah, don't really play games but this team got me hyped. Want to play it in the subways
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
FloppyDiskz wrote:

Good example, goes against the general perception that Live is arcade-like and 2k is more simulation. OTH someone posted an instance where an "invisible wall" prevented a player from stepping out of bounds in Live 19. That's just bad physics.

its true. there's always been an invisible wall that keeps you from easily running out of bounds in basketball games. especially 2k and nba live. no different.

What 2k has done is at times if you throw a pass to a teammate(cpu or user) the ball must turn into a 40 lb medicine ball. because your teammate will catch the ball and it will pull them out of bounds in a weird unrealistic manner. I've seen the animation time and time again. Thats because they have that wall there. so to make it like the wall isnt there, they add in an animation with a guy slipping out of bounds like this. now the mo-cap is all wrong because no one would move like that after catching a basketball while not having to run full speed to catch up to it. we're talking walking slowly towards the ball, catching it, then out of the blue spinning out of control and ending up out of bounds. its comical to be honest.

Perhaps nba live's forcefield is even stronger than 2k's. perhaps thats what they noticed. but all hoop games have it. I dont recall which but either 2k or live took the force field out for one year. and all hell broke loose. people were running out of bounds left and right. most people were afraid to go baseline for a move in fear of running out of bounds. see in real life, its easier to control your own body and see the line. on a video game, its harder if for nothing else the camera angle you're playing on isnt at true eye level. Most of us dont play on ISO cam zoomed in. We are either playing on a nba live baseline/2k cam or we're playing broadcast cam sideways.

If you ask me they should've left it just like that. because its realistic. eventually we would've adapted. but these days the instant crying and going crazy online pressures these devs into doing things they would not have had to do if social media wasnt so big.

This guy put out a nice video showing some of the more detailed things you will notice in nba live that says its a lot more realistic than some people want to admit. now this doesnt mean it doesnt have some issue with another or other aspect(s) of the game that are completely off , that could be the case. but you have to give credit where its due. these guys have come a long way.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
governator wrote:

yeah, don't really play games but this team got me hyped. Want to play it in the subways
i feel you
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Went with NBA 2k19. Just because that is what I normally do. Not a great reason obviously. I will look at the Live 19 review and maybe buy it later when it is on sale. I wish they upgraded their franchise mode though. It sounds like it is the same.

NBA Live 19's demo was pretty fun. It is awesome that its career mode "the one" is not a pay to win mode. You earn skills by playing just like everyone else. Plus you start off as a 70 which at least gives you some skills to start with. I don't like that you can only upgrade like 5 or so skills for your career depending on the player type you picked. That just seems dumb to me. Also drives to the basket seem way overpowered. I think it was the same in Live 18. You can be right there at the rim to meet the player and he will still hit a shot over you.

With NBA 2k you start off as a 60 overall. If you try to play online day one you will be going up against people that are 85+. If it is the same as last year it is going to cost you like $50 to buy virtual currency to upgrade to an 85. It's a very slow grind to upgrade your player without buying VC for the game you just paid $60 for.

NBA 2k is saying they have scaled back their VC greed this year. Remember last year when they got crap for VC ? They lowered the price of VC for haircuts and then did nothing. If that is their way of "scaling back" I am not very optimistic. The problem with VC is not the haircuts or clothes. It is that it is pay to win. I would be perfectly fine if NBA 2k charged for optional cosmetics only.

Oh and FYI if you by chance bought NBA live 18 you can buy NBA Live 19 for $40 if you buy it from inside NBA Live 18. At least I could.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I prefer to play a lot of franchise do definitely going with 2K

Did you see the nutso park trailer?

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I don’t like how the net moves when they score on NBA live, so I prefer 2K.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
FloppyDiskz wrote:

Oasis for me all day, but Blur is right there. Was also a big fan of Pulp, since you're clearly a BritPop fan =)
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
I prefer to play a lot of franchise do definitely going with 2K

Did you see the nutso park trailer?

for you franchise people. 2k is the way to go until maybe next year or the year after with live. that part of the game is not up to part at all is what i'm hearing from everyone that is a franchise head and actually likes live as much as or more so than 2k's gameplay. I think its due to the fact that live's team is very small in comparison to 2k's. With that being said, with what they've done with the one mode and all of the fixes. I think the live team is bigger this year then it has been in years past.

Overall game play is pretty good. They still have work to do, some tighten up on a few things and since the game hasnt been out for real yet. Time will tell when the exploit abusers/cheesers get online and start breaking the game to really show you what parts of each game needs to be fixed.

There was a play I noticed that again shows live is serious about the detail. I saw it while i was playing but i had to hit the replay button just to make sure what I thought I saw was legit.

It was me vs the cpu playing the one during the season(i was using the ea access trial version which unlocks all of the modes for 10 hrs.)

So i'm on defense, and I noticed that my man made a nice V cut towards the paint and back out to the 3 point line. i bit on the cut, got lost and was too late to get back to him. so i just knew the cpu pg was going to hit him for the open jumper. But the cpu chose another slightly open player cutting to the basket. The look on the wide open CPU's face was priceless.

The moment he made that cut and realized the ball was passed the other direction, he started pouting No lie. His shoulders drooped a bit and he kind of swayed his hands like Come on....I'm Open.

When they start really getting the on the court talking right and adding it to moments like that. These games are going to be hilarious. Imagine dude yelling "Ay ...Bro I was wide open..come on man...You can't keep missing me like that "
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lol. i've heard this before. Now before I would normally give this comment a pass because the rest of live was trash. So, what if this version of live was head and shoulders better than 2k but the net physics still seemed off to you, would you still go with 2k based purely on net physics? lol.

How's about this. live has bad net physics. 2k has horrible blocked shots/rebounding physics when it comes to where the ball lands/or who is chosen to recover the ball. You ever notice how 80% of the time if you block someone's shot on 2k18, the ball would go back to your opponent even if you had teammates in position to pick the ball up? Thats because there was not actual ball physics that had anything to do with who was where. it was predetermined that when a shot is blocked X% of the time the offensive team would get the ball back. You knew it was bad when you would play Pro am or some mode with all users and maybe a cpu player on the offensive team. That cpu player would magically swoop in and snag all of those boards after you blocked a shot. I noticed that at least is not an issue in live. now live has other issues but that aint one of them.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lol. i've heard this before. Now before I would normally give this comment a pass because the rest of live was trash. So, what if this version of live was head and shoulders better than 2k but the net physics still seemed off to you, would you still go with 2k based purely on net physics? lol.

How's about this. live has bad net physics. 2k has horrible blocked shots/rebounding physics when it comes to where the ball lands/or who is chosen to recover the ball. You ever notice how 80% of the time if you block someone's shot on 2k18, the ball would go back to your opponent even if you had teammates in position to pick the ball up? Thats because there was not actual ball physics that had anything to do with who was where. it was predetermined that when a shot is blocked X% of the time the offensive team would get the ball back. You knew it was bad when you would play Pro am or some mode with all users and maybe a cpu player on the offensive team. That cpu player would magically swoop in and snag all of those boards after you blocked a shot. I noticed that at least is not an issue in live. now live has other issues but that aint one of them.

I’m sure 2K has its issue but it is much more enjoyable to play maybe I will eventually warm up to NBA Live.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I’m sure 2K has its issue but it is much more enjoyable to play maybe I will eventually warm up to NBA Live.

This year just might be different. They made a lot of changes to gameplay. but that depends on if we're talking playing with your created "my player"/"the one" or if you want to play franchise mode(which is not in the same class at all as 2k right now.)

2k year after year has become the most frustrating games I have played. And even the 2k lovers I play with a ton feel the same way. It's how it plays and the way people are starting to realize that you are in less control then you think. Once that happens you start thinking, so what is the point of me...boxing out if the other guy can just jump from anywhere and grab the rebound just because he has longer arms or is taller or has a badge? Basketball IQ is not as important as the 2k people(mike wang, ronnie, devs, etc.) want to make you believe. It's more about Animations IQ. what do I need to do to call up an animation I prefer? Do I need to create a guy thats super tall with super long arms? or a guy thats short with super short arms, do i need to have this badge or that badge to call up said animations? or to stop other animations?

thats not basketball IQ. thats video game iQ. The more realistic you make the game, the higher your basketball IQ will need to be in order to be a very good player. The more scripted it is, the more its about having that video game iQ. They talk about having a bigger skill gap. sounds good in theory. but what skill are we talking about? Video game skill(calling up animations or stopping other animations) or basketball IQ?

If i have a player thats a guard and is supposed to be good at shooting mid range jumpers. I should not have to dribble dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble dribble, fade to the baseline to activate a shot creator badge in order to knock down an open mid range shot on a consistent basis. thats not basketball iQ, thats game IQ. I shouldnt be able to steal passes with my lockdown defender by not touching the stick at all and never actually going for a pass in the passing lanes or a poke loose ball. badged up highly rated defenders in 2k just need to stand in the passing lane and the ball will automatically go to them X number of times. Thats not basketball IQ, thats video game IQ. This same setup on live. if i stand in that passing lane. the ball will hit my body if someone throws it straight where I'm standing. then i have to try to grab the ball. in 2k if you throw a lob pass or a bounce pass or a chest pass. that pass will be auto-stolen from time to time without the defender doing anything or pressing any buttons. to be honest its best he/she doesnt touch the controller at all during that scenario. thats how automated 2k is nowadays. By doing that, the only skill someone needs is the video game iq to know to get Badge X to X level and stand there.

again live will and has its faults. and i promise you the cheese boys will come out and find all sorts of exploits to abuse. but as it is now. there are a lot of little things in live i wish 2k had in their game. but i've realized they do that on purpose. 2k is not truly trying to play like a basketball simulation. It's trying to LOOK like one. there's a big difference between those two approaches. Notice how realistic 2k looks when you're watching other people play vs when you're playing and something occurs that you did not do but it looks good anyway. this is a design decision. this isnt a broken game. So thats why every year I'm frustarted with 2k but I have to deal with it because until live 19 there was no other realistic choice. and maybe by the time 2020 live comes out. i may be able to completely ditch 2k for good. we'll see.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

I know that this thread is about 2k19, but I didn't think this question warranted a new thread, but the question is aimed to the same audience.

I want to pick up an older year of 2k to only play offline on PS4 since I don't have the time nor the desire to get my ass handed to me playing online. Which year is the best to play for the offline modes? Obviously the newer the year, the better, but not necessary. Perhaps a list of your top 2 or 3 years would help with getting a better consensus.

T.I.A.!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Haven't bought Live since 2008. Been a 2K guy since and will continue to do so.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Haven't bought Live since 2008. Been a 2K guy since and will continue to do so.

2K19 still seems more fun then the new hyped up NBA live game, so many things to do as far as displaying skills.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

bought 2k19 last night. seems like a great game so far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: