**OFFICIAL** US OPEN THREAD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: **OFFICIAL** US OPEN THREAD

I just started watching today. Anyone up to date on the tournament? I know Serena's cat suit was banned. Didn't stop her from winning her match. She's at a disadvantage because dark colors absorbs heat. That will cause her to tire quickly. Currently 94°f in NY. Most likely 10degrees or more hotter on the court.

Djokovic's vs Fucsovics. Won 1st set 6 3. Lost 2nd 6 3. Heat getting to Djoko.

ESPN airing men and womens singles on split screen.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Djokovic defeats Fucsovics 6 3 3 6 6 4 6 0. The heat was a factor. The new heat rule allowed a 10 minuet break between 3rd and 4th set. Djo seemed gain energy Fucsovics didn't.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

not a huge tennis fan, but if Serena can get to Round 4 this weekend, I will likely tune in more closely....noticed she won her first match fairly easy. Next I think she has Carina Witthoeft.....and then a potential match up with Venus.

I know tennis fans roll their eyes because all of the talent currently in the field...but Serena is the only one that really grabs my attention in recent years. I assume if there were more elite Americans on the men's side, I would have more interest....is Isner even in the top 10 currently?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Federer destroyed Nishioka 6 2 6 2 6 4

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

The cat suit was banned at the French Open.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm gonna give you one of my Luxury Brown passes. Cat suit ban was mentioned in the OP. Nurse Ratched will be knocking.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

it is happening.....Venus vs. Serena @ the US Open tomorrow! May be the last time we see these two face off in a major.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm gonna give you one of my Luxury Brown passes. Cat suit ban was mentioned in the OP. Nurse Ratched will be knocking.

Um, no. I was correcting you. This is not the French Open.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

US Open is really "loose" on dress code, right?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Tru dat! It was also banned at the US Open. I'll tell Mildred no need to knock.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

As far as I know, there is no rule against catsuits at the US Open. But then, I don't make a point of following stuff like this. I thought Serena looked ridiculous in the catsuit, but supposedly it had some purpose relating to her recovery from pregnancy.

A more general comment: Tennis could really use some fresh blood. It seems like Serena and Venus and Maria and Roger and Rafa and Novak have been dominating tennis for almost this entire century. There have been some other faces along the way who have come and gone, like Vika and Andy, but I'm tired of every tournament centering around the same old people.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

As far as I know, there is no rule against catsuits at the US Open. But then, I don't make a point of following stuff like this. I thought Serena looked ridiculous in the catsuit, but supposedly it had some purpose relating to her recovery from pregnancy.

A more general comment: Tennis could really use some fresh blood. It seems like Serena and Venus and Maria and Roger and Rafa and Novak have been dominating tennis for almost this entire century. There have been some other faces along the way who have come and gone, like Vika and Andy, but I'm tired of every tournament centering around the same old people.

Gotta give Serena credit for being creative TENNIS DRESS LINK LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

it needs more Americans to grow in the American market or get back to where it was in recent decades....right or wrong, tennis is most popular in this country when several Americans are at least contending for majors. I think that is probably why people like me are holding onto Serena so much....who else is out there to take over? Maybe Sloane Stephens on the women's side.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

If you want new blood in tennis, it's happening in the women's game right now. Anyone can beat anyone. Even the top seeds are not safe early in tournaments. With Serena battling injuries and having a child over the past couple of seasons, no one is dominating the sport. Wozniacki is #2 in the world and she just got absolutely hit off the court tonight in her match. I mean, the match wasn't even close to on her racket. I can't remember the last time the women's game had this much depth.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I can't remember the last time the women's game had this much depth.

It depends on what you mean by depth. I would say that the field is wide but shallow. There aren't any particularly good players, which is why the Williams sisters and Sharapova just keep rolling along. The fact that Woz was the #2 seed tells you what you need to know. She's a better version of Anna Kournikova.

Last night's Sharapova match was a good example. Sharapova is getting up in years and you can see all of the injury mileage on her. She never looks comfortable or confident. Her opponent is some chick who can hit the ball like a laser beam. She just can't hit her target. So Sharapova has seven double faults in her first two service games, but wins them both and goes on to win the first set. The younger chick is serving to win the second set, but then Sharapova finally wakes up and wipes her off the court.

Sharapova has a fork stuck in her back, but she has an outside chance to win the tournament. Serena has become sort of ponderous, but she intimidates the hell out of the kids and may actually be the favorite. Halep and Kerber are sort of high quality generic players. Halep is already gone.

So no, i don't buy the hype about the women's field. I think it has been thin for over a decade. Basically, you can pick a country in Eastern Europe and design your own generic women's player. Let's see. How about . . . Estonia? Let's make her first name . . . Martina. That's a popular choice. Now make up a last name with too many consonents. Hmm. Ljubvek. So Martina Ljubvek from Estonia. She could be waiting for the Serena-Venus winner in the round of 16, and you wouldn't blink.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

Watching Stevens vs Azarenka. Sloane looking good early. Of course Stephens 3 Azarenka 79 isn't a great measure. I give her a out side shot.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

Khachanov wins a tough 1st Set against Nadal.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

Nadal dropped 1st set to Khachanov 7 5

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Nadal is in a little trouble.....down 3-1 in 2nd Set and Khachanov seems to be gaining confidence with each point.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

may look back at that break point as pivotal in costing Khachanov the match if he goes on to lose.....serving up 5-4 in the 2nd Set, and allows Nadal to tie the set up 5-5. He could have been up 2 Sets to 0. Now they head into a lengthy break waiting on the roof to close.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

The closing of the roof delay boded well for Stephens. Let's see how it plays with Nadal.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

feels like Nadal took Khachanov's best punch.....and will now wrap this up in 4 Sets. Tied 1-1.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

over/under - 500

How many towels will Nadal go through in this match? He seems or at least it appears the heat has had a greater effect on him today.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Rafa prevailed after failing to close the match on his serve.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
over/under - 500

How many towels will Nadal go through in this match? He seems or at least it appears the heat has had a greater effect on him today.

I don't think the heat was a factor. It was 73 in New York today. Most players towel off between serves. They don't change towels. Notice the ball persons put the towel on a stand of sorts and use the same towel.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: