New ESPN team ranking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: New ESPN team ranking

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24491587/nba-bpi-projections-espn-basketball-power-index-lakers-warriors-celtics

Lakers at 7 in the NBA and 4th in the WC
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New ESPN team ranking

Inspector Gadget wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24491587/nba-bpi-projections-espn-basketball-power-index-lakers-warriors-celtics

That sounds about right. Except for the part where the Thunder are better.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New ESPN team ranking

RG73 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yeah actually I think we should be 3rd and OKC 4th at least that’s more debatable. you can argue that Portland is even better then the Thunder.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New ESPN team ranking

RG73 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

This. The Thunder lack the firepower to go deep in the playoffs or even win one round. They also lack 3-point shooting much more than we do.

If I were coaching against them I would swarm Westbrook, keep him out of the restricted area and make him pass the ball to his teammates as they throw up bricks from downtown. We can do some real damage against them by getting lots of fast breaks off those bricked 3 pointers.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Thunder without deadweight Melo is definitely an improvement over last year but not sure about being better than Lakers. How are the Rockets number 3? They lost Ariza and added Melo. Lakers should be number 2. Lebron has been taking (bleep) teams to the conference championship game consistently. Lakers are anything but (bleep) with loads of young talent.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Looks like we're actually tied for #5 with Denver in the WCF according to them. GSW/Houston/OKC/Utah all above us.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Looks like we're actually tied for #5 with Denver in the WCF according to them. GSW/Houston/OKC/Utah all above us.

WCF? Did you mean the Western Conference .. cause the WCF is the round before the NBA finals.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure how you could have BPI projections at this point. The only variable that reflects player movement is Vegas projected win totals. So, unless there is something else at work here, the only reason why we rank so high is that Vegas thinks we're going to win a lot of games. That's fine, and I hope Vegas is right. Still, calling this a BPI projection seems sort of weird.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

WCF? Did you mean the Western Conference cause the WCF is the round after the NBA finals.

This one had me puzzled, until I realized you meant to say 'before' not 'after'... right?

Last edited by TooMuchMajicBuss on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Hard to tell until we see them play, but I still think this team goes 55 wins or more. Last year that would have put us at #3 in the WC.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

WCF? Did you mean the Western Conference cause the WCF is the round after the NBA finals.

This one had me puzzled, until I realized you meant to say 'before' not 'after'... right?

Yeah, thanks for the correction
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Yeah meant WC
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

Anyone else think that everyone is over estimating the difference between the Eastern conference and the Western Conference.

I mean when you really really look at it the top 8 teams in each conference are very similar in wins and losses. I think the west was vastly better than the east for so long people still assume that its the case today....

It used to be that you could have a losing record in the east and still make the playoffs... Last year Wiz are 8th seed with 43 wins in the east... Minn was 8th in the west with 47 wins... I like the Wiz roster just about as much as i like Minn roster....

Also, you could make the case that of the top 5 teams in the league 3 of them reside in the East... 1.GS 2.Boston 3.Houston 4.Tor 5. Phi.... Not my list, but i think its in the conversation.

What do you guys think??
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: New ESPN team ranking

RG73 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The Thunder was overrated last summer I expect the same this season. Roberson won’t be starting the season and is expected back around December or January.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

I dont see Denver and Utah being better than us and OKC is highly suspect as well.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
I dont see Denver and Utah being better than us and OKC is highly suspect as well.

If the the team has a nice training camp and a positive showing in preseason I’m pretty sure we will be ahead of OKC/Denver/Utah by October in the rankings.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

OKC got better by getting rid of Melo for Schroeder.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

I would just like to point out that "odds to win" does not necessarily equate to the seeding in the West.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:
Anyone else think that everyone is over estimating the difference between the Eastern conference and the Western Conference.

I mean when you really really look at it the top 8 teams in each conference are very similar in wins and losses. I think the west was vastly better than the east for so long people still assume that its the case today....

It used to be that you could have a losing record in the east and still make the playoffs... Last year Wiz are 8th seed with 43 wins in the east... Minn was 8th in the west with 47 wins... I like the Wiz roster just about as much as i like Minn roster....

Also, you could make the case that of the top 5 teams in the league 3 of them reside in the East... 1.GS 2.Boston 3.Houston 4.Tor 5. Phi.... Not my list, but i think its in the conversation.

What do you guys think??

No.

The East is really bad.

Philly couldn't beat the Celtics with their 2 best players out.

Kawhi makes Toronto a legit contender, finally.

Boston is good and extremely well coached.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

Who’s this tool on The Jump right now saying “The Lakers are not good”

It’s one thing to say this team isn’t a title contender but to flat out say we aren’t good?? What the hell!! Never even heard of this guy who is he!!??
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: New ESPN team ranking

Car54 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The Thunder was overrated last summer I expect the same this season. Roberson won’t be starting the season and is expected back around December or January.

And Roberson is not going to be the same player coming off a ruptured patella tendon.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

NotHype wrote:
Who’s this tool on The Jump right now saying “The Lakers are not good”

It’s one thing to say this team isn’t a title contender but to flat out say we aren’t good?? What the hell!! Never even heard of this guy who is he!!??

That tool you heard is saying outrageous things so thin skin fans can bring him up so he can get his 5 minute of fame, he knows there is no chance the Lakers aren’t good this year but they need to say something crazy so people can bring it up.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

What do you guys think??

No.

The East is really bad.

That was Philly's first time in the playoffs with that squad...I expect them to be better this year (Experience), I really expect all teams in the east 1-8 to be HUNGRY, due to the perception that its wide open.... The teams in the east i think most people are sleeping on are Wizards and Bulls!

I guess my ultimate point is that when analyst say that the Lebron cant do what he did in the East in the West I have a problem with it. The only team I think we have problems with is the Warriors in the west.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:
UKUGA wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

What do you guys think??

No.

The East is really bad.

That was Philly's first time in the playoffs with that squad...I expect them to be better this year (Experience), I really expect all teams in the east 1-8 to be HUNGRY, due to the perception that its wide open.... The teams in the east i think most people are sleeping on are Wizards and Bulls!

I guess my ultimate point is that when analyst say that the Lebron cant do what he did in the East in the West I have a problem with it. The only team I think we have problems with is the Warriors in the west.
No excuses for philly. most of the boston team were first timers in the playoffs. kyrie wasnt there, hayward wasnt there. only horford. the rest of those guys had to figure it out on the fly.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ESPN can't decide if they love us or hate us.

One min we're projected to miss the playoffs, next we're projected to win 50 games and then the next week we're ranked 7th...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: