when was the last time you were THIS excited about an upcoming season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Last season...
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
How are you guys comparing this off season with 2012?

We got one of the best players ever

We got rid of Deng and are in position to add another max player in 2019.

We got solid experienced players

This is the most exciting off season for us since 96.

Expectations are much lower this year than in 2012. The Warriors are still overwhelming favorites and added Cousins (and they probably don’t even need him). Some people think our team will struggle to make the playoffs.

I’m most excited when expectations are higher like they were in 2012. I remember quoting Miami Heat fans in the 2012 offseason and several of them seemed pretty worried IMO and they were really curious about the matchup.
akivisuals
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Malone and Payton. The potential for that 4 HOF lineup was insane!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
Knew Nash wouldn’t work out so I’ll go with 2010-2011 season. Thought with Barnes Blake additions there was a chance for a second 3peat. Boy was I wrong

I was excited about 2011 too.

You didn’t think Nash would be a significant upgrade over Sessions (who disappeared in the playoffs) and Fisher when he was 100 years old? It still bothers me that Fisher made Jeremy Linn look like Russell Westbrook; that was embarrassing.

Nash had to break his foot to be worth less than Fisher/Sessions.

And I have nothing against Fisher. The guy did a lot for the team. He was just 100 years old in 2012 so he couldn’t do it anymore no matter how much he wanted to. Tough to compete with Father Time when you were born in the 1800s. Michael Jordan couldn’t do it with the Wizards. The way MJ played he looked like he was born when Lincoln was President.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I guess 2012 if excited because of what may happen in May/June is the measurement....but honestly, I was hella excited going into the last couple seasons with the youth movement. Remember DLo's rookie season when we started out like 10-10....I was really excited about our direction at the time.....then last year after the SL success, I was pretty excited to see what our kids could do.

I can understand last year because the team had more promising young players and the future was looking more promising. For me the last few years have been too much about Golden State and to a lesser extent the Cavs.
SlickVic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject:

2012 with the new additions. Obviously did not work out but I remember being excited that summer to have Kobe, Pau, Dwight, and Nash. 2010 was exciting as well, because I was hoping for another three-peat and didn't think there were many teams outside the C's that would give the Lakers much trouble. Though of course things didn't turn out that way.

But I think this season should be fun. It may not be a championship year, but it'll keep exciting to see Lebron play for the purple and gold, as well as seeing the young talent get better.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
I'm excited about every upcoming season...

As a fan yeah I get it’s exciting for the season to start each year but its not exciting to get up for a season like the past 5 years where the team loses most games and you know it’s coming. This year is exciting. Last time I was this excited was when Pau and Ariza came.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: when was the last time you were THIS excited about an upcoming season?

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
For me it would have to be 2009 when we were set to get revenge on the Celts with Pau in for a full season and I just knew we were gonna make another run for the title.

Now, we may not exactly be in immediate title contention but the excitement is still there because the possibilities that anything can happen look very good for us.

Yeah, 09. I've become less and less "geeked" about seasons with each passing year no matter what the situation was. Even though we got Bron, I still didn't feel the same as when we got Pau or Shaq and maybe even Payton/Malone. Definitely more excited than when we got Nash and Dwight, though I was fooled just like most of us were into thinking that was gonna work. Nothing against Bron, it's just the natural jading that happens over time, even though I am excited for this season to a good extent. Said this before, but last game that "geeked" me was 2012 Gm 7. Not Kobe's final gm, no offense to him, but the Byron years were tough. Maybe that game qualifies for the biggest game since 12 G7, but it's definitely one of those two. Either way, to quote Billy J, "I haven't felt that for the looooooooooongest time". "Once I thought my innocence was gone...now I know that happiness goes on."
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

One thing that exited me about 2012 was the chance to beat Miami. And I thought we would finally see Kobe vs. Lebron in the Finals, each leading his own super team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Expectations are much lower this year than in 2012. The Warriors are still overwhelming favorites and added Cousins (and they probably don’t even need him). Some people think our team will struggle to make the playoffs.

I’m most excited when expectations are higher like they were in 2012. I remember quoting Miami Heat fans in the 2012 offseason and several of them seemed pretty worried IMO and they were really curious about the matchup.

Expectations might be lower, but this team has endless possibilities, the 2012 team was highly touted but our bench was very weak that year while this team has the potential to have one of the best bench units in NBA history.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Expectations might be lower, but this team has endless possibilities, the 2012 team was highly touted but our bench was very weak that year while this team has the potential to have one of the best bench units in NBA history.

I think a lot of that has to do with outside factors. There wasn't a loaded Warriors team who won 73 games and then added Durant back in 2012. We had the Westbrook/Durant Thunder, CP3/Griffin Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies, and injured ankle Steph Warriors. Our 2018 team back then would have pretty high expectations, but we are playing in the ESPN TV deal money explosion aftermath that the Warriors capitalized on. If they get a handful of injuries, watch out!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

Nash and Dwight.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

Excitement isn't much different for me this September than it was a year ago. I anticipate seeing a better Laker team than the prior year once again. For some reason, the prospects of the team reaching the playoffs isn't moving the needle much more. One step at a time.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
When got Shaquille and Kobe

When we drafted Magic

chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

2012 unfortunately. I really felt like we were a lock for the finals. That year really showed me that you cant jam a bunch of good players together and expect it to work.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
2012 unfortunately. I really felt like we were a lock for the finals. That year really showed me that you cant jam a bunch of good players together and expect it to work.

Especially when one of them is a soft lil' beotch.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:

So many negatives during that season

Howard’s labrum shoulder injury
Nash and his back spasms
Not bringing in Phil when he wanted to come back
Poor bench depth
Kobe suffering the Achilles injury

Sports illustrated hyping us up by saying “this is gonna be fun” on the front page magazine.. that felt like a evil spell article that put a damp on the Lakers season... that was a nightmare season and I’m glad we now have another season to look forward to with hopefully greater results.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject:

I think the bench was supposed to be far less of an issue when a team had 4 all-stars. Worst case scenario is you always have 1 or 2 all-stars on the floor with bench players when you need to rest people. And if you had Nash out there with the bench, he was an elite PG. If Howard was playing with bench players, he was an elite defender. And we all know how Kobe would do with bench players. Gasol was no slouch either.

This was supposed to be a far better situation than we saw even with the 2010 which won a title with a weak bench.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

She's scared about the bench, JB.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

That 37 minute stretch when we got CP3 and were about to go back to back again
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

2012. Also the last time I got a 2k game. And it's a good thing I did, because that team was much more enjoyable in a video game.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

I would say the Coward Nash season. Im excited about svi i think hes this years clarkson Kuzma. He reminds me of Manu but hes 6'8. Im excited to see how Kuzma improved and his skills being on tbe floor with LA Bron. I wanted Rondo in last years team and after seeing him in this years playoffs better late than never. Can't wait to see an 4 forward tall ball lineup. Ingram Ball Lebron Kuzma Beasley or Wear
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

This is going to be one of the most looked forward to seasons in a long time. The addition of LBJ, Rondo, and the rest of the veterans.
Don't know how the team will jell, but it should be on the good side.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Perhaps this is an odd answer but, for me, Dwight and Nash put a huge damper on my excitement level for signing great free agents. Malone/Payton was a disappointment too, but at least they reached the finals and would have likely won a title had Malone not gone down with the knee injury.

I keep saying this is a 55 win team, but my excitement level isn't going through the roof until I start seeing this team hand beatings out to teams like Portland and Utah. If the Lakers go to the Moda Center and hand the Blazers their asses, that's about the time it gets real and I'm gonna freak out.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

2019 will be this year's excitement and then some
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: