NIKE
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: NIKE

Pretty bold move on their part, and I'm assuming they 100% knew the "backlash" it would get.

Wearing my Nikes proudly today.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject:

The backlash folks can have their Nike... donated to veterans? (I'm sure they'll throw it away instead)
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

It's difficult to talk about stuff like this because nobody is actually offended by it but many are eager to argue about it and that lack of sincerity nukes the dialogue before it begins. The same people who rail against snowflakes, PC culture and extoll the importance of the 1st Ammendment are the same people who are irate at Kaepernick and made this whole thing an issue in the first place.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It's difficult to talk about stuff like this because nobody is actually offended by it but many are eager to argue about it and that lack of sincerity nukes the dialogue before it begins. The same people who rail against snowflakes, PC culture and extoll the importance of the 1st Ammendment are the same people who are irate at Kaepernick and made this whole thing an issue in the first place.

Many of my conservative friends laughed at the snowflakes and the In'N'Out "boycott," but then are dead silent watching their comrades burn Nike clothes and shoes.

Man, these folks sure like to burn things. Like Nikes and crosses...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

There is an old saying that goes, “when the grass is cut, the snakes will show”. Kaep is a lawnmower.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

Nothing makes a stronger statement than burning stuff that you paid for.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Many of my conservative friends laughed at the snowflakes and the In'N'Out "boycott," but then are dead silent watching their comrades burn Nike clothes and shoes.

Man, these folks sure like to burn things. Like Nikes and crosses...

hah!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

Is Nike/Kap profiting off of this or are they donating all proceeds? Has anyone read that? I haven't seen anything to suggest one way or the other.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: NIKE

yinoma2001 wrote:
Pretty bold move on their part, and I'm assuming they 100% knew the "backlash" it would get.

I don't see a huge risk for Nike. They're too big to boycott over something fans are split over anyway. Whatever "backlash" they may get they'll likely more than make up for it in sales and from the possible recruitment boost for signing future athletes.

If they had made this move before signing the exclusive uniform and apparel deal with the NFL, that would have been bold. What's the NFL going to do about it now?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Is Nike/Kap profiting off of this or are they donating all proceeds? Has anyone read that? I haven't seen anything to suggest one way or the other.

Don't know but, apparently, the initial reports of Kap getting a signature clothing line were premature according to B/R.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2794112-report-colin-kaepernick-wont-receive-nike-sneaker-extensive-clothing-line
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Don't know but, apparently, the initial reports of Kap getting a signature clothing line were premature according to B/R.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2794112-report-colin-kaepernick-wont-receive-nike-sneaker-extensive-clothing-line

Oh. So what's the hoopla about? That they used him as the face of their "Just Do It" campaign?

I thought I had read he was going to get his own line of shoes, jersey, etc.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: NIKE

numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't see a huge risk for Nike. They're too big to boycott over something fans are split over anyway. Whatever "backlash" they may get they'll likely more than make up for it in sales and from the possible recruitment boost for signing future athletes.

If they had made this move before signing the exclusive uniform and apparel deal with the NFL, that would have been bold. What's the NFL going to do about it now?

Still should give Nike credit. Still gonna face backlash. If it wasn't risky, all other athletic company would've done it but none have
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

When dudes start showing up in New Balance or Under Armour shoes to play basketball...we know what that's about then. (they make terrible hoops shoes).
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
When dudes start showing up in New Balance or Under Armour shoes to play basketball...we know what that's about then. (they make terrible hoops shoes).

BBB ZO2's...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

People are behaving violently and burning their physical property because the corporation is supporting non violent protests?

The ironing..

Proud of Phil Knight right now. How can any human dare look at another and say they are less or better... especially due to skin color

Such a stupid species..

"Hutu or Tutsi?"
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

Love Nike for this. Kap should still have a job, and only reason he doesn't is because he took a knee.

Kudos to Nike & Kap for getting together on this.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Don't be so sure about that. I'm a fat old man, so I'm not someone who is a core Nike customer. Just the same, screw Nike. At a time when we have nasty divisions in our society, Nike decides to jump right in the middle of it as a marketing ploy. Kaepernick is a fraud. He had a brief period of success with the read option, but then the league adapted and exposed him as a poor quarterback. He blundered into fame as a protester, when what he was really protesting was his own benching. He should probably be playing in the CFL with Johnny Manziel. He could kneel for Oh Canada.

So Nike wants to make him its poster boy? To hell with Nike. I have zero regard for a company that would exploit the political divisions in this country for marketing purposes. This isn't quite as bad as Trumpy Bear, but it's in the same neighborhood.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

He took a knee only to protest his benching?

*I don't argue much.. that just stood out
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

I think he meant "nobody" within his bubble. Honestly, I quit buying products based on celebrity marketing campaigns when I was a teenager, so I am not going to choose to buy or not buy Nike based on my thoughts about Kaepernick.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

Don't be so sure about that. I'm a fat old man, so I'm not someone who is a core Nike customer. Just the same, screw Nike. At a time when we have nasty divisions in our society, Nike decides to jump right in the middle of it as a marketing ploy. Kaepernick is a fraud. He had a brief period of success with the read option, but then the league adapted and exposed him as a poor quarterback. He blundered into fame as a protester, when what he was really protesting was his own benching. He should probably be playing in the CFL with Johnny Manziel. He could kneel for Oh Canada.

So Nike wants to make him its poster boy? To hell with Nike. I have zero regard for a company that would exploit the political divisions in this country for marketing purposes. This isn't quite as bad as Trumpy Bear, but it's in the same neighborhood.

A lot of your anger here seems to be about his abilities as a player, which I can't speak to and don't care about. I'm only pointing out that you aren't outraged that he took a knee as a protest. I don't believe you or anyone else is that fragile or has that much time on their hands, or that their lives are so pristine that this could crack a genuine list of grievances. The people on his side of the issue didn't make him famous for this. It was the people who had temper tantrums about it. If they don't make a giant disingenuous stink the whole thing blows over or goes away.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

Completely agree. I'm not quite on board with the "to hell with Nike" train, but I'm also not oblivious to what they're really doing here.

As someone mentioned -- they've done the math and determined there is a profit model here. If they determined they'd take a big loss, perhaps it would be easier to respect whether we agree with what they are doing or not.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Proceeds from what? It's just an ad campaign, not a new revenue stream.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
A lot of your anger here seems to be about his abilities as a player, which I can't speak to and don't care about. I'm only pointing out that you aren't outraged that he took a knee as a protest. I don't believe you or anyone else is that fragile or has that much time on their hands, or that their lives are so pristine that this could crack a genuine list of grievances. The people on his side of the issue didn't make him famous for this. It was the people who had temper tantrums about it. If they don't make a giant disingenuous stink the whole thing blows over or goes away.

No, I am not buying that. I have no problem with a peaceful protester. I have problems with a phony protester who rides a wave of undeserved fame. I have problems with a company that would exploit the controversy for marketing purposes. This is like those Benetton (or however it is spelled) billboards that are intended to provoke a reaction. Well, screw you Nike. You got a reaction from me.

The political right may have gotten its panties in a wad (which doesn't take much), but the right did not make this guy a symbol. There has been no shortage of people on the left trying to make freaking Kaepernick into the second coming of Martin Luther King. Having said that, you are right that this would have died off if it was just Kaepernick. Instead, some real, bona fide star athletes (Megan Rapinoe and others) jumped on the bandwagon. This gave the whole thing the legitimacy that Kaepernick lacks.

Kaepernick doesn't really give a crap. He just wants to play quarterback in the NFL, but none of the teams want him. The anthem protest is part of it, but the bigger part is that he sucks as a quarterback.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

No, I am not buying that. I have no problem with a peaceful protester. I have problems with a phony protester who rides a wave of undeserved fame. I have problems with a company that would exploit the controversy for marketing purposes. This is like those Benetton (or however it is spelled) billboards that are intended to provoke a reaction. Well, screw you Nike. You got a reaction from me.

The political right may have gotten its panties in a wad (which doesn't take much), but the right did not make this guy a symbol. There has been no shortage of people on the left trying to make freaking Kaepernick into the second coming of Martin Luther King. Having said that, you are right that this would have died off if it was just Kaepernick. Instead, some real, bona fide star athletes (Megan Rapinoe and others) jumped on the bandwagon. This gave the whole thing the legitimacy that Kaepernick lacks.

Kaepernick doesn't really give a crap. He just wants to play quarterback in the NFL, but none of the teams want him. The anthem protest is part of it, but the bigger part is that he sucks as a quarterback.

They played as big a role as anything and maybe more. If it hadn't been for the ridiculous, misguided and hypocritical rant from the right about "disrespecting the anthem/flag" no one would have really thought much about it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

It really irks me that Kaepernick never voted before this whole thing but I guess this can be a good thing?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17
Jump to: