Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

This is a lot different from the earlier reports
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

If there wasn't a cap, I am sure that the Lakers would have kept Randle. Passing on Randle was salary cap strategy. I wish him well against every team except the Lakers.

--Anonymous
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Lakers probably only offered a one year deal. He wanted a longer one and a more prominent role. Just didn’t work out.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

The article makes it sound like he was willing to accept the QO at $5.5M, but the Lakers rescinded it and he was squeezed out by Rondo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
The article makes it sound like he was willing to accept the QO at $5.5M, but the Lakers rescinded it and he was squeezed out by Rondo.

I doubt he would have taken that based on what he got from the Pels. Maybe some revisionism.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Love the Rondo signing but I'd much rather have Isaiah Thomas+Julius Randle for the same cap space. That also would open up more backup PG minutes for Ingram/Hart(offense/defense). More continuity heading into the season as well.

PG - Lonzo / IT / (Ingram)
SG - KCP / Hart
SF - Ingram / Lance
PF - LeBron / Kuzma / Wagner
C - Randle / McGee / Zu
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

It’s oretty clear that Randle wanted assurances he was part of the future of the team. The team essentially benched him after he worked his tail off in the offseason. It took 40% of the season to fix that, after which he was clearly the best player on the team. And they didn’t want to pay him and they told him he was getting a lesser role, as well as likely being dropped next year if a prime free agent signed. That’s a horrible position. No security, likely no future with the team, and a diminished role in which to showcase himself for his next contract.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers4Life33 wrote:
Love the Rondo signing but I'd much rather have Isaiah Thomas+Julius Randle for the same cap space. That also would open up more backup PG minutes for Ingram/Hart(offense/defense). More continuity heading into the season as well.

PG - Lonzo / IT / (Ingram)
SG - KCP / Hart
SF - Ingram / Lance
PF - LeBron / Kuzma / Wagner
C - Randle / McGee / Zu

LeBron was not gonna accept IT on the team, Randle is the big what if, he could have developed into a star learning from LeBron.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:

He had 4 years to show something

It was time to move on

Like Russell, i just don't see it in him
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

It was time to move on

Well, three years and one game. And what were you watching the last 49 games with him as a starter?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

It was time to move on

Well, three years and one game. And what were you watching the last 49 games with him as a starter?

A guy who would be a great 5th option.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
defense wrote:

It was time to move on

Time will tell. Maybe in season or two you can tell me how wrong i was.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Don't even begin to compare him to Russell. Russell's drive to be great is questionable at best. Randle works his butt off. I have a lot more belief in Randle becoming a star than Russell.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

How many fifth options are capable of 18.6 points (56% fg, 75% ft), 9.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 0.4 blocks, and 0.6 steals in under 30 minutes a game? Because that's what Randle averaged in 49 games as a starter.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

I doubt he would have taken that based on what he got from the Pels. Maybe some revisionism.

Without another solid offer he wouldn’t have had a choice. You can’t offer a restricted free agent a two year deal with a option. That’s why Parker asked the bucks to rescind his offer so he could sign the contract with the bulls.

https://www.lakersnation.com/julius-randle-reflects-lakers-explains-decision-leave-nba-free-agency/2018/07/27/

In this article Randle asked the lakers to rescind the offer I guess so he could sign with New Orleans. I know the difference in the money but since he can opt out next year does New Orleans increase his value or a year playing with Lebron
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

How many fifth options are capable of 18.6 points (56% fg, 75% ft), 9.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 0.4 blocks, and 0.6 steals in under 30 minutes a game? Because that's what Randle averaged in 49 games as a starter.

So a great 5th option right?
He did that as the 2nd or 3rd option would you say?
What was our record the last 49 games?
Imagine having better players where he's now the 5th option.

Last edited by epak on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I watched Julius in every single game I could. I found myself frustrated more than cheering on the guy. I really think he is a good player, not great. As with DLO, he was worshipped here by some. I just didn't see it.

Lakers are much better off with the moves they made, not with the one they didn't make with Julius. I wish him the best and he will have a solid career.

Just wasn't meant to be...

Oh, and also, his agent is a douche bag.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
I watched Julius in every single game I could. I found myself frustrated more than cheering on the guy. I really think he is a good player, not great. As with DLO, he was worshipped here by some. I just didn't see it.

Lakers are much better off with the moves they made, not with the one they didn't make with Julius. I wish him the best and he will have a solid career.

Whenever Anth2000 has something positive to say, listen, because it’s legitimately true.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

I really thought he will get more than what he got from the Pelicans. He do have that skillset and toughness that I am going to miss but he’s more of role player. LeBron ball does not suit his game.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks IG. I will take that as a compliment.

Inspector Gadget wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Whenever Anth2000 has something positive to say, listen, because it’s legitimately true.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I liked JR. but it was time to move on.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

damage control after his stab at luke when he signed with the pelicans
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Thanks IG. I will take that as a compliment.

Inspector Gadget wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Just trying to tell Laker fans that you speak realistically most of the time and don’t go all giddy about anything.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Annihilator wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

If there wasn't a cap, I am sure that the Lakers would have kept Randle. Passing on Randle was salary cap strategy. I wish him well against every team except the Lakers.

Unfortunately, as optimistic as I'm trying to be about Bron, I still have this sneaking suspicion that they're gonna continue to sh the bed to some extent against teams like MIN, NO, LAC, POR. They used to do that with Kobe and without Kobe. They've been losing since time immemorial up in Porty. Last time they won 2 gms in the RS there was 1996 (and they lost 2 at home to them, negating it). Every time I re-read a post of mine that's optimistic about their record next year, I snap a rubber band on my wrist.

Any rate, they were looking beyond Randle. They may very well have wanted him back for certain things he brought. Maybe if not for past sins of Mitch 'n Jim, they would've had the flexibility to retain him, but they couldn't meet his price and go for another superstar, which was the more important thing of the two. I could cite shooting and tude, but it doesn't even really need to go there. The cap situation and their designs for the future are more than enough reason as to why he's now forced to wear PELICANS across his chest. On his behalf, he was still being yo-yo'd at a critical point of his young LIFE, forget career. I see why he felt this move was necessary, even a dummy like me can understand. The Lakers were a high quality metal Duncan racer yo-yo, but a yo-yo nonetheless. That Deng dump to attain a large max slot was another excellent and forward thinking move. I'm glad they got over the "not hiring Jerry West" thing. You don't see that complaint anymore, notice.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Quote:
The Lakers initially extended the $5.5 million qualifying offer to Randle and it looked as if the 23-year-old would return to a Lakers team that is bound to contend with LeBron James leading the way. However, the team later rescinded the offer and instead signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year, $9 million deal.

Lakers ultimately decided that Rondo would be in the team's plans for the 2018-19 season and not their young former No. 7 overall pick.

If that’s true, choosing a 32 year old PG who is 9 years older over a young 23 up and coming PF, it shows that the FO probably doesn’t have too much faith in Lonzo’s health and stability to stay on the court.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: