Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MIMLaker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2001
Posts: 9635
Location: Los Angeles/ Alhambra, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

This is why i really think the rookie contract scale needs to be adjusted in the event of catastrophic injury. Give the team and the player the option toe extend the rookie deal by 1 year if they suffer a season-ending injury during the 1st 10 to 15 games or so and is medically unable to play or practice the rest of the season.

Julius effectively finished as a 3rd year player by the time the FO had to figure out whether to keep him long-term or not. If Julius hadn't gotten a broken leg his very 1st game as a pro, and we had to evaluate him on this kind of play during the summer of 2017 instead of 2018, he might still be here now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26655

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Randle played well on a crappy team. He's a tweener with a lot of holes in his games, so there are legitimate questions about whether he becomes less valuable as the players around him improve.

Anyway, he's gone, so it doesn't really matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 128003
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Annihilator wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

This is a lot different from the earlier reports

If there wasn't a cap, I am sure that the Lakers would have kept Randle. Passing on Randle was salary cap strategy. I wish him well against every team except the Lakers.


You know he has those games marked on his calendar
_________________
It’s a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 128003
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Judah wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

Quote:
The Lakers initially extended the $5.5 million qualifying offer to Randle and it looked as if the 23-year-old would return to a Lakers team that is bound to contend with LeBron James leading the way. However, the team later rescinded the offer and instead signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year, $9 million deal.

Lakers ultimately decided that Rondo would be in the team's plans for the 2018-19 season and not their young former No. 7 overall pick.


If that’s true, choosing a 32 year old PG who is 9 years older over a young 23 up and coming PF, it shows that the FO probably doesn’t have too much faith in Lonzo’s health and stability to stay on the court.

Not really. They'd been coveting Rondo since last year because they wanted a veteran point guard who can aid Lonzo in his development and mentor him. That's what they've wanted from the beginning. Rondo checks multiple boxes. In addition to mentoring Lonzo, he also fits LeBron's description perfectly of a player who knows how to "think the game." I'm not sure why having a safety net for Lonzo's health was the first thing you thought of when you read that...


Wait, I read here that Lonzo had Magic to mentor Lonzo?
_________________
It’s a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 17111

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers probably only offered a one year deal. He wanted a longer one and a more prominent role. Just didn’t work out.


That's what it came down to. It's not like the Lakers didn't want him back. They just didn't want to do it on his terms. JR had a really good season and felt he deserved to be part of the team's long-term plans but the team felt he still needed to prove it.


Derek Fisher was much more valuable than Randle, Fish's flaws that drove some fans up the wall or not. They didn't wanna pay him the 5 mill he asked for so he up 'n left, no muss, no fuss. GS was willing to overpay for him and Turiaf both. After two years of Chucky and Smushy (eesh), that 5 million market price sounded a lot better. Randle was improving, but he couldn't hold a candle to the importance of Fish on a championship contender. That's without even trying to deflect from Fish's idea of D. He was a great flopper and a GREAT clutch shooter and wasn't like stuffing a cube into a round hole. Randle is like that. Better than George Lynch, but Lynch was an EZ casualty. An even worse and smaller tweener.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 3173

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers probably only offered a one year deal. He wanted a longer one and a more prominent role. Just didn’t work out.


That's what it came down to. It's not like the Lakers didn't want him back. They just didn't want to do it on his terms. JR had a really good season and felt he deserved to be part of the team's long-term plans but the team felt he still needed to prove it.


Derek Fisher was much more valuable than Randle, Fish's flaws that drove some fans up the wall or not. They didn't wanna pay him the 5 mill he asked for so he up 'n left, no muss, no fuss. GS was willing to overpay for him and Turiaf both. After two years of Chucky and Smushy (eesh), that 5 million market price sounded a lot better. Randle was improving, but he couldn't hold a candle to the importance of Fish on a championship contender. That's without even trying to deflect from Fish's idea of D. He was a great flopper and a GREAT clutch shooter and wasn't like stuffing a cube into a round hole. Randle is like that. Better than George Lynch, but Lynch was an EZ casualty. An even worse and smaller tweener.

people talk about Horry...but who really has more clutch shots than Fish? People talk about MJ and Pippen, Kobe and SHaq, Magic and Kareem, well, really, Fisher/Kobe is up there with the rest. I bet as far as clutch, season saving moments go...Fisher might have more than Pippen.
_________________
U+1F49C
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 10699

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
That's without even trying to deflect from Fish's idea of D. He was a great flopper and a GREAT clutch shooter and wasn't like stuffing a cube into a round hole. Randle is like that. Better than George Lynch, but Lynch was an EZ casualty. An even worse and smaller tweener.


Fish hit some clutch shots, and I like him. But please. He got torched routinely by opposing point guards, wasn't a playmaker, couldn't finish. He was a great locker room presence and a good three point shooter. When Fisher was Randle's age he was a 5.8 point, 4.1 assist backup. And George Lynch? He was a good role player, who had a promising rookie season which he never matched for the rest of his career. He was the Lakers worst ever lottery pick.

Derek Fisher's best season (of 17 total): 13.3 points (41% fg, 39.7% 3p), 4.3 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 0.1 blocks in 31.6 minutes (on a 34 win warriors team)
George Lynch's best season (of 11 total): 9.6 points (50.8% fg), 5.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.4 steals, 0.4 blocks in 32.2 minutes
Julius Randle's Best Season (3 years + 1 game): 16.1 points (55.8% fg), 8 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.5 blocks in 26.7 minutes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82597
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Luol Deng+2 1st round draft picks+Cash (maximum allowed)

Even by the way they decided to stretch Deng, it's clear they did not want to do this. I can't blame them. 2 1st rounders is a steep price to pay. I don't put this 100% on the FO.

I think it's 50/50 b/c Jules never liked his role here, and probably wanted a bigger deal (remember some here thought he would get 20m+/year on the market?) over longer years. I'm sure if he would take 1 year deal the Lakers would have given it to him.


2 first round picks likely in the mid 20's would have been worth it when we would have been able to keep a talented young player (even with his flaws) like Randle. We forget the guy is still only 23, around the age of a 1st round draft pick. Not to mention we would have already been loaded with young talent with nearly half our roster (Wagner/Randle/Kuzma/Ingram/Ball/Hart/Svi)

I agree though, this FO does clearly value their 1st round draft picks. I never thought anything close to 20M+ in this market would be realistic for Randle. I was thinking something around 14-15M per year would have been his best case. 13M a year would have been a good compromise and about 1/3rd than what he signed for on his 1 year deal with NOP.


Honestly, I think Jules thought he would be worth more than the 9m he got. I can't believe that's what he thought he was worth.

This is a problem with rookie deal players. If you're an unquestioned stud it's easy to pay the $, but if you're something less than that, it's more difficult. Teams didn't exactly jump at the opportunity to poach him away fully knowing the Lakers' cap situation.


He turned down bigger offers because he prioritized role and chance to compete. He would have stayed on in LA had they given him a shot to compete, but they told him one year deal and diminished role. Hard to tell a guy we aren’t going to pay you more than a year (because we plan on dumping you unless things go wrong), and we’re not going to give you a chance to show out for a contract elsewhere either. Especially after they already dorked you around earlier.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 3904

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers probably only offered a one year deal. He wanted a longer one and a more prominent role. Just didn’t work out.


That's what it came down to. It's not like the Lakers didn't want him back. They just didn't want to do it on his terms. JR had a really good season and felt he deserved to be part of the team's long-term plans but the team felt he still needed to prove it.


Derek Fisher was much more valuable than Randle, Fish's flaws that drove some fans up the wall or not. They didn't wanna pay him the 5 mill he asked for so he up 'n left, no muss, no fuss. GS was willing to overpay for him and Turiaf both. After two years of Chucky and Smushy (eesh), that 5 million market price sounded a lot better. Randle was improving, but he couldn't hold a candle to the importance of Fish on a championship contender. That's without even trying to deflect from Fish's idea of D. He was a great flopper and a GREAT clutch shooter and wasn't like stuffing a cube into a round hole. Randle is like that. Better than George Lynch, but Lynch was an EZ casualty. An even worse and smaller tweener.

people talk about Horry...but who really has more clutch shots than Fish? People talk about MJ and Pippen, Kobe and SHaq, Magic and Kareem, well, really, [b]Fisher/Kobe is up there with the rest.[/b] I bet as far as clutch, season saving moments go...Fisher might have more than Pippen.



This is a huge reach. Fish was really awful most of the time. He did come up SUPER clutch. Fish's best skillset was to defer to Kobe and take big shots (and make a lot of them). Other than that Fish had absolutely nothing to offer. Many intangibles..but a sever lack of tangibles. His inability to drive to the hoop and finish..below avg passing ability, inability to execute a proper fast break - were all massive holes that hindered our team.

Dude was so clutch though..can NEVER take that away from him. Orlando 09 finals on the road...Spurs .04...Boston on the road and 1 layup (the 1 time he finally finished a fast break was the most crucial fast break of his career). Love Fish. Love Fox too and love Rob.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 12672
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

How many players in Lakers history have 5 titles?
Kareem, Magic, Cooper, Kobe and... Fish. Respect the man.
_________________
SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 14784

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers probably only offered a one year deal. He wanted a longer one and a more prominent role. Just didn’t work out.


That's what it came down to. It's not like the Lakers didn't want him back. They just didn't want to do it on his terms. JR had a really good season and felt he deserved to be part of the team's long-term plans but the team felt he still needed to prove it.


Derek Fisher was much more valuable than Randle, Fish's flaws that drove some fans up the wall or not. They didn't wanna pay him the 5 mill he asked for so he up 'n left, no muss, no fuss. GS was willing to overpay for him and Turiaf both. After two years of Chucky and Smushy (eesh), that 5 million market price sounded a lot better. Randle was improving, but he couldn't hold a candle to the importance of Fish on a championship contender. That's without even trying to deflect from Fish's idea of D. He was a great flopper and a GREAT clutch shooter and wasn't like stuffing a cube into a round hole. Randle is like that. Better than George Lynch, but Lynch was an EZ casualty. An even worse and smaller tweener.

people talk about Horry...but who really has more clutch shots than Fish? People talk about MJ and Pippen, Kobe and SHaq, Magic and Kareem, well, really, Fisher/Kobe is up there with the rest. I bet as far as clutch, season saving moments go...Fisher might have more than Pippen.


I wouldn't go that far. Fisher was an important piece but he can't be confused with a star player, he was a roleplayer and that was ok. They were stacked at every position so they had the luxury of being able to have a roleplayer in the lineup and not really needing points rebounds or assists from him. If he did provide that stuff it was a bonus.

If you forget about what happened the last few years, Fisher commanded an incredible amount of respect from everyone. He didn't need the ball and that allowed the other players to get the touches they needed each game. He diplomatically had the referees thinking twice about making any call that was against the Lakers and that also paid enormous rewards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 599

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
He had 4 years to show something

It was time to move on

Like Russell, i just don't see it in him


What is something because Russell has definitely shown the most talent offensively out of every young player that has been acquired post Bynum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 2539

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
2014 2 46 Jordan Clarkson
2015 1 27 Larry Nance Jr.
2015 2 34 Anthony Brown
2017 1 27 Kyle Kuzma
2017 1 30 Josh Hart
2017 2 42 Thomas Bryant
2018 1 25 Moritz Wagner (from Cleveland via Portland and Cleveland)
2018 2 39 Isaac Bonga (from New York via Philadelphia)
2018 2 47 Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (from Denver via Utah and Chicago)


Interesting. So in order.

1. 6th man
2. rotation player
3. bust
4. Starter level/6th man
5. Starter level/6th man
6. didn't pan out.

Wags can be a rotation player.
Bonga is a ?.
Svi will be a rotation player IMO.

Not bad.

I'd love to give them 2 more shots...or even use these picks in a larger trade to get another star.


I wouldn't classify some of these players so highly on playoff teams with true championship aspirations.

Clarkson is a 9th man on a good team. Same with Larry Nance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 2539

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
It’s oretty clear that Randle wanted assurances he was part of the future of the team. The team essentially benched him after he worked his tail off in the offseason. It took 40% of the season to fix that, after which he was clearly the best player on the team. And they didn’t want to pay him and they told him he was getting a lesser role, as well as likely being dropped next year if a prime free agent signed. That’s a horrible position. No security, likely no future with the team, and a diminished role in which to showcase himself for his next contract.


This.

My thing is, I'm sure there would have been a way to keep Randle on a long term deal in the range of 4y/50-54M deal and still have a max slot for 2019.

Luol Deng+2 1st round draft picks+Cash (maximum allowed) for a large exp k (Robin Lopez, Faried, Tyson Chandler, Jeremy Lin, Zach Randolph, Omer Asik, Shumpert etc) would have allowed the numbers to work.

2019 Summer

LeBron-37.4M
2nd Max-32.7M
Randle-13M
Lonzo-8.7M
Ingram-7.3M
Kuzma-2M
Hart-1.9M
Wagner-2M
4 cap holds-3.7M
Total 108.7M/Projected cap 109M

It comes down to me that Randle proved he should have been apart of our young core but the Lakers FO already decided before last season even started that wouldnt be the case.


Lakers could have been pretty creative with contracts and found a way to keep Randle.

A 3 year/$33m deal front loaded with a $1m guarantee in the 3rd year gives him long term security and also gives the Lakers an easy way to create extra cap-space if they wanted to. His contract also likely becomes an asset.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 23132

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

https://youtu.be/mUgElYyLdbU

Look at what we're missing!
Hope he does it in game.
First time, he takes his man off the dribble and dunks!
Next time, he does a spin move and loses the ball out of bounds.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9200

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
It’s oretty clear that Randle wanted assurances he was part of the future of the team. The team essentially benched him after he worked his tail off in the offseason. It took 40% of the season to fix that, after which he was clearly the best player on the team. And they didn’t want to pay him and they told him he was getting a lesser role, as well as likely being dropped next year if a prime free agent signed. That’s a horrible position. No security, likely no future with the team, and a diminished role in which to showcase himself for his next contract.


This.

My thing is, I'm sure there would have been a way to keep Randle on a long term deal in the range of 4y/50-54M deal and still have a max slot for 2019.

Luol Deng+2 1st round draft picks+Cash (maximum allowed) for a large exp k (Robin Lopez, Faried, Tyson Chandler, Jeremy Lin, Zach Randolph, Omer Asik, Shumpert etc) would have allowed the numbers to work.

2019 Summer

LeBron-37.4M
2nd Max-32.7M
Randle-13M
Lonzo-8.7M
Ingram-7.3M
Kuzma-2M
Hart-1.9M
Wagner-2M
4 cap holds-3.7M
Total 108.7M/Projected cap 109M

It comes down to me that Randle proved he should have been apart of our young core but the Lakers FO already decided before last season even started that wouldnt be the case.


Lakers could have been pretty creative with contracts and found a way to keep Randle.

A 3 year/$33m deal front loaded with a $1m guarantee in the 3rd year gives him long term security and also gives the Lakers an easy way to create extra cap-space if they wanted to. His contract also likely becomes an asset.

Comes down to $38.2m cap space. Pretty obvious by now the FO wants to be able to sign ANY available top FA including KD. To get there, can’t give Randle more than 1 yr contract
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pokoy
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14105

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
https://youtu.be/mUgElYyLdbU

Look at what we're missing!
Hope he does it in game.
First time, he takes his man off the dribble and dunks!
Next time, he does a spin move and loses the ball out of bounds.




Honestly though his shot looks way better in those clips than they have in the past. I expected that though, he's always worked hard in the offseason, and the way he's been improving, this was the next step.

I do think he will have monster games against us, mostly because we just don't have a player of his physicality on the roster. That was the biggest blow to our team when we lost him, we never replaced that wrecking ball player with any of our offseason signings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 May 2001
Posts: 2015
Location: Tega Cay, South Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
He had 4 years to show something

It was time to move on

Like Russell, i just don't see it in him


Except Randle was clearly the best player on the team last year and a proven hard worker.

Russell was never the best player and not a hard worker.

They could have given him a one year deal of 15M which would have worked for both sides.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 4992

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
defense wrote:
He had 4 years to show something

It was time to move on

Like Russell, i just don't see it in him


Except Randle was clearly the best player on the team last year and a proven hard worker.

Russell was never the best player and not a hard worker.

They could have given him a one year deal of 15M which would have worked for both sides.


He was the best player for half the season and was far from a proven hard worker. He whined when he didn’t play last year and they probably worried he’d react that way again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16392

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Nash Vegas wrote:
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

Quote:
The Lakers initially extended the $5.5 million qualifying offer to Randle and it looked as if the 23-year-old would return to a Lakers team that is bound to contend with LeBron James leading the way. However, the team later rescinded the offer and instead signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year, $9 million deal.

Lakers ultimately decided that Rondo would be in the team's plans for the 2018-19 season and not their young former No. 7 overall pick.


If that’s true, choosing a 32 year old PG who is 9 years older over a young 23 up and coming PF, it shows that the FO probably doesn’t have too much faith in Lonzo’s health and stability to stay on the court.



I'd have easily picked Randle over Stephenson and a returning KCP.

But if they picked Randle over Rondo, then they'd better hope with all their might that Randle doesn't become an all-star on the Pelicans, cause if he does and the Lakers have to have "picked Rondo over Randle" hanging over their heads, it will look like when OKC picked Martin and Perkins over Harden.


Randle was clearly our best young player, did everything the FO asked him to do, went above and beyond, accepted the undeserved benching Luke gave him as he unsuccessfully tried to convince the world Nance was the better player. Then Randle broke through, got his start, played at a super high level. Did everything right. And the Lakers STILL wouldn't offer him a 2nd year on his deal nor invest in him.


I said it back then and I'll say it now. Randle bet on himself because the Lakers refused to, and that's their loss.

Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Luol Deng+2 1st round draft picks+Cash (maximum allowed)

Even by the way they decided to stretch Deng, it's clear they did not want to do this. I can't blame them. 2 1st rounders is a steep price to pay. I don't put this 100% on the FO.

I think it's 50/50 b/c Jules never liked his role here, and probably wanted a bigger deal (remember some here thought he would get 20m+/year on the market?) over longer years. I'm sure if he would take 1 year deal the Lakers would have given it to him.


2 first round picks likely in the mid 20's would have been worth it when we would have been able to keep a talented young player (even with his flaws) like Randle. We forget the guy is still only 23, around the age of a 1st round draft pick. Not to mention we would have already been loaded with young talent with nearly half our roster (Wagner/Randle/Kuzma/Ingram/Ball/Hart/Svi)

I agree though, this FO does clearly value their 1st round draft picks. I never thought anything close to 20M+ in this market would be realistic for Randle. I was thinking something around 14-15M per year would have been his best case. 13M a year would have been a good compromise and about 1/3rd than what he signed for on his 1 year deal with NOP.


Honestly, I think Jules thought he would be worth more than the 9m he got. I can't believe that's what he thought he was worth.

This is a problem with rookie deal players. If you're an unquestioned stud it's easy to pay the $, but if you're something less than that, it's more difficult. Teams didn't exactly jump at the opportunity to poach him away fully knowing the Lakers' cap situation.


He turned down bigger offers because he prioritized role and chance to compete. He would have stayed on in LA had they given him a shot to compete, but they told him one year deal and diminished role. Hard to tell a guy we aren’t going to pay you more than a year (because we plan on dumping you unless things go wrong), and we’re not going to give you a chance to show out for a contract elsewhere either. Especially after they already dorked you around earlier.



This...

But hey.. I guess they didn't want a death lineup of

Brandon Ingram
Lonzo Ball
Kyle Kuzma
LeBron James
Julius Randle


Sucks, cause LeBron James with Julius Randle on the fast break, or LeBron and Julius on the fast break with Lonzo handling and Ingram trailing would have been something beautiful to watch. Oh well.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82597
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
cantletthingsgo.net

beatingdeadhorsesground.net

I think we need another Clarkson/Dlo thread to help some of ya'll cope


Will you be using an alternate screen name to troll that thread, like another thread we both know of?
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93624
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Luol Deng+2 1st round draft picks+Cash (maximum allowed)

Even by the way they decided to stretch Deng, it's clear they did not want to do this. I can't blame them. 2 1st rounders is a steep price to pay. I don't put this 100% on the FO.

I think it's 50/50 b/c Jules never liked his role here, and probably wanted a bigger deal (remember some here thought he would get 20m+/year on the market?) over longer years. I'm sure if he would take 1 year deal the Lakers would have given it to him.


2 first round picks likely in the mid 20's would have been worth it when we would have been able to keep a talented young player (even with his flaws) like Randle. We forget the guy is still only 23, around the age of a 1st round draft pick. Not to mention we would have already been loaded with young talent with nearly half our roster (Wagner/Randle/Kuzma/Ingram/Ball/Hart/Svi)

I agree though, this FO does clearly value their 1st round draft picks. I never thought anything close to 20M+ in this market would be realistic for Randle. I was thinking something around 14-15M per year would have been his best case. 13M a year would have been a good compromise and about 1/3rd than what he signed for on his 1 year deal with NOP.


Honestly, I think Jules thought he would be worth more than the 9m he got. I can't believe that's what he thought he was worth.

This is a problem with rookie deal players. If you're an unquestioned stud it's easy to pay the $, but if you're something less than that, it's more difficult. Teams didn't exactly jump at the opportunity to poach him away fully knowing the Lakers' cap situation.


He turned down bigger offers because he prioritized role and chance to compete. He would have stayed on in LA had they given him a shot to compete, but they told him one year deal and diminished role. Hard to tell a guy we aren’t going to pay you more than a year (because we plan on dumping you unless things go wrong), and we’re not going to give you a chance to show out for a contract elsewhere either. Especially after they already dorked you around earlier.


I haven't read anywhere that he turned down bigger offers. Which teams offered him more than 9m/year (2 years, 2nd year player option)?

He was put in a difficult position, and I can understand why he wanted out. But I think his team also overestimated his value on the market too.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93624
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

Didn't know about this (and I miss Jules dearly):

Quote:
In late June, Cleaning the Glass (CTG) contributors Bjorn Zetterberg and Jordan Brenner took an extended look at Randle’s defense. For someone who’s always enjoyed his bully balling, devil may care forays on offense, I walked away from this reading deflated. According to Zetterberg and Brenner, the Lakers defense was as good as fourth in the league in defensive efficiency when Randle sat versus 19th when he played. Similarly, they were fourth in turnovers forced when he sat against 29th with him on the court. CTG took it a step further by including numerous clips of Randle’s defensive weak points and there are simply things that I can’t unsee.


https://fansided.com/2018/09/11/25-under-25-2018-julius-randle-pelicans-19/
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 31 Jul 2018
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

When considering the current hole in our line up it just doesn’t make sense what we did with Randle. We had him for 5.5mil one year deal. His cost would not have stopped us from doing anything else we wanted including max player nex year. Cost wasn’t factor.

Think about how he fits the current team’s weakness and his cheap cost and it come down to FO just didn’t want him regardless. Wasn’t about money wasn’t about fit. Reduced role is misleading, 24min at center is still available now, we don’t know what we’re gonna do at C for 48 min right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93624
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
When considering the current hole in our line up it just doesn’t make sense what we did with Randle. We had him for 5.5mil one year deal. His cost would not have stopped us from doing anything else we wanted including max player nex year. Cost wasn’t factor.

Think about how he fits the current team’s weakness and his cheap cost and it come down to FO just didn’t want him regardless. Wasn’t about money wasn’t about fit. Reduced role is misleading, 24min at center is still available now, we don’t know what we’re gonna do at C for 48 min right now.


He asked out fully knowing the Lakers could have held him hostage with the QO. Lakers obliged. I think both parties wanted out. Wish he stayed but that's in the past now.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB