Any Motorcyclists Here?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Any Motorcyclists Here?

So I've been thinking about getting a small bike to ride around local streets on. What's a good school to take the a training course at (close to Huntington Beach-ish area).

Any recommendations on a smaller bike? Looks wise I like the classic look like Triumphs.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Please be safe.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Take a motorcycle safety course at a local community college. If you decide you like it know that you are basically invisible to people that drive cars, trucks and big rigs. Wear your gears even if its hot, its better than losing a body part or expensive medical bills.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Statistics show that if you can survive your first year you got a pretty good chance long term.
A couple things - remember that throttle works both ways.
Don't forget to look over your shoulder while changing lanes don't rely on your mirrors.
Learning to ride off road some is a really good learning tool since you must learn how to control abike in diverse conditions.
Those cars are really able to see you they just don't give a (bleep) and will turn in front of you all the time.
Don't be allergic to the front brake 80 percent of your stopping power is in the front brake due to weight transfer. Learn to use it and use it hard. Hard back braking will make the drive wheel break loose and send you into a skid.
Happy scooting from a daily rider of almost 50 years.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Do yourself a favor and purchase a dirt bike. Spend the net couple years learning how to master riding that dirt bike on off road parks & paths. Then when you transition to riding on the road, you'll have mastered the machine component and will be much better equipped to master the traffic component.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

Assume all cars never see you. Some cars blast music so loud they can't even hear the bike's modified exhaust until you're 5' away.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

Don't do it JB it ain't worth it in So Cal.

If this was Montana or Idaho or something then have it. But people just plain suck at driving here. Everybody I know that rides has been in an accident at some point
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

If this was Montana or Idaho or something then have it. But people just plain suck at driving here. Everybody I know that rides has been in an accident at some point

Yup, which is why I have never ever used tone.

Good small bikes are the Honda CB250/300. Haven't checked recently, but used market should have them around 3 to 3.5k. Personally, I don't have it in the budget for a Husqvarna Vilpalen. At least the HOnda is easy with speed, a bit too slow to take on a passenger, and fairly reliable.

But I may be suckered into a Grom.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

So I have been riding since 20. I have a zx10r ninja. A Vulcan 900 and a diavel.

When I first started riding I picked up a Yamaha r6. I’m not saying go ahead and pick that up. But choose a bike you are comfortable with.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

As a buddy who was a biker told me many years ago, "there are two kinds of bikers. Those who have had an accident, and those who will . . ."

I've never owned a bike, but I've ridden many times on friends bikes. I love doing it. I'd love to be able to cruise back country roads and tor around less populated areas, but I'd never ride in the populated areas again, especially this part of the world. It was one thing back in the day where there were fewer cars and no distractions for drivers other than changing the radio station. But with the advent of smart phones etc., it's just a truly dangerous prospect putting yourself in the hands of the millions of idiot drivers out there.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
So I have been riding since 20. I have a zx10r ninja. A Vulcan 900 and a diavel.

When I first started riding I picked up a Yamaha r6. I’m not saying go ahead and pick that up. But choose a bike you are comfortable with.

I'm looking at a Rebel 300 or maybe a used Rebel 250. I want a low ride height for my first bike so I can comfortable have my feet on the ground.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
22 wrote:

As a buddy who was a biker told me many years ago, "there are two kinds of bikers. Those who have had an accident, and those who will . . ."

I've never owned a bike, but I've ridden many times on friends bikes. I love doing it. I'd love to be able to cruise back country roads and tor around less populated areas, but I'd never ride in the populated areas again, especially this part of the world. It was one thing back in the day where there were fewer cars and no distractions for drivers other than changing the radio station. But with the advent of smart phones etc., it's just a truly dangerous prospect putting yourself in the hands of the millions of idiot drivers out there.

I don't plan on taking it out during high traffic times. Just want to cruise the local streets...definitely not going on the freeway.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Motorcyclists Here?

jonnybravo wrote:
So I've been thinking about getting a small bike to ride around local streets on. What's a good school to take the a training course at (close to Huntington Beach-ish area).

Any recommendations on a smaller bike? Looks wise I like the classic look like Triumphs.

Don’t do it JB. Almost every dude inherently wants a bike. And why not? It’s freedom and just so much raw power. But it’s never a question of “if” so much as “when” you’re gonna spill. Whether it’s assisted or not, everyone I know that has a bike has either had a spill or been hit. Watching some poor guy get completely ran over by an suv who didn’t see him in their blind spot, as they exited the carpool lane cured me of all my motorcycle dreaming.

If you must, please be safe.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:

I'm looking at a Rebel 300 or maybe a used Rebel 250. I want a low ride height for my first bike so I can comfortable have my feet on the ground.

A friend of mine just bought a Rebel 300. It's pretty nice I took it for a spin and it's got ok power nice around town bike with a smooth powerband it's got enough to pass cars comfortably and handles pretty good. Not a bad choice.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:

Not a bad choice for a starter bike. How long do you plan on keeping that starter bike. This is just me, After a Solid 2 months of riding I wanted more power.

Also what are your intentions? Is this a daily driver? Weekend rider? Riding with friends only? Give me some details
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I have an old Lambretta that I used to ride when I lived more out in the suburb lands. In LA it is terrifying to drive it- sadly. I should probably sell it at some point but I cant quite get up the nerve to let it go yet.

One of the scariest things is having to look down at the road so much for potholes, I learned the hard way that you can't just look around at traffic when driving in LA, the potholes are serious and can cause you to wreck.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

Haven’t hit my midlife crisis yet but for future reference, aside from the bad ass aesthetics, why choose a chopper instead of a ‘race looking’ bikes (don’t know what they’re called)... more comfortable? Or just looks?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
22 wrote:

I have an old Lambretta that I used to ride when I lived more out in the suburb lands. In LA it is terrifying to drive it- sadly. I should probably sell it at some point but I cant quite get up the nerve to let it go yet.

One of the scariest things is having to look down at the road so much for potholes, I learned the hard way that you can't just look around at traffic when driving in LA, the potholes are serious and can cause you to wreck.

Some of the junk that falls off of a truck on the freeway is a hazard for a person on a 4 wheeled vehicle....for a motorcycle rider it can be a matter of life or death if they hit it.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I used to ride but I got into a pretty bad accident driving to work. I was lucky that I didn't slide into traffic, ended up fracturing some bones and had a major concussion. I enjoyed riding my bike but have not ridden since the accident, not sure if its worth it since I have a family.

YOU will get in a accident its just the nature of it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Haven’t hit my midlife crisis yet but for future reference, aside from the bad ass aesthetics, why choose a chopper instead of a ‘race looking’ bikes (don’t know what they’re called)... more comfortable? Or just looks?

It’s comfort. And also cost. Sport bikes are brutal on your shoulder and back if driven for a long time. Also. They are not much fun unless you are doing 90+. Cruisers are more comfortable but can be expensive depending on the kind you get
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
governator wrote:

It’s comfort. And also cost. Sport bikes are brutal on your shoulder and back if driven for a long time. Also. They are not much fun unless you are doing 90+. Cruisers are more comfortable but can be expensive depending on the kind you get

There is a big difference between a chopper and a cruiser. I think that choppers may be less comfortable and far more dangerous than sports bikes with those ridiculous ape hanger bars or those idiotic tiny bars. How the hell are you supposed to turn that thing in an emergency? Braking is also very compromised in choppers.

A regular cruiser though is nice and comfortable.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
999 wrote:
governator wrote:

There is a big difference between a chopper and a cruiser. I think that choppers may be less comfortable and far more dangerous than sports bikes with those ridiculous ape hanger bars or those idiotic tiny bars. How the hell are you supposed to turn that thing in an emergency? Braking is also very compromised in choppers.

Yeah, just checked out Harley Davidson website. Cruisers starts at less than $7000... looks awesome too... Iron 883
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:

Not a bad choice for a starter bike. How long do you plan on keeping that starter bike. This is just me, After a Solid 2 months of riding I wanted more power.

Also what are your intentions? Is this a daily driver? Weekend rider? Riding with friends only? Give me some details

Weekend rider. I'll keep it until I outgrow it I guess.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
999 wrote:
governator wrote:

Yeah, just checked out Harley Davidson website. Cruisers starts at less than $7000... looks awesome too... Iron 883

There's a Ducati/Triumph dealer up the road from my work. I sat on a bunch of bikes and cruisers are just comfortable. I felt more confident with my feet being able to firmly plant on the ground. The riding position on a sport bike is just scary. Those Triumphs look stunning. I felt like Steve McQueen lol.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

I quit riding for a number of years for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was my own propensity to misbehave on a bike. I recently put together an old two stroke scooter which I use to putt around the island I live on (it's slow enough that I can't get myself in too much trouble), but even on a rural, sparsely populated island, I've been nearly mangled numerous times by idiot drivers pulling out in front of me. I can't really imagine riding in heavy traffic anymore.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: