Hurricane Florence
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Hurricane Florence

Hurricane Florence appears to be aiming near the South and North Carolina border between Myrtle Beach, SC and Wilmington, NC. It is expected to make landfall as a major hurricane (Cat.3 or Cat.4). The last major hurricane that I recall hitting this area was Hugo ('89) which made landfall @ Sullivan's Island near Charleston as a Category 4 storm. I think Hazel, another Category 4, hit Myrtle Beach in the 1950's. Floyd ('99), Charley ('04), and Matthew ('16) were all Cat. 1/2's when they made landfall in the Carolina's. If anyone recalls Hugo, then you know this could be an extremely dangerous storm if it continues to hold it's strength, and I would guess many of those coastal towns have a larger population than they did 30 years ago.

I think Luminous8 resides in the Carolina's, but unsure how close to the coast. If anyone else on LG is in the path of Florence, be safe and evacuate if possible.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

Stay safe folks. Growing up in LA went through earthquakes, fires, a riot, etc.

Survived my first ever hurricane (Sandy) and that was rough. Don't mess with nature, you will always lose.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Stay safe folks. Growing up in LA went through earthquakes, fires, a riot, etc.

Survived my first ever hurricane (Sandy) and that was rough. Don't mess with nature, you will always lose.

Yeah man, Sandy got my house, electricity went out for days. Sump pumps out, gotta replace everything in my basement... one advice if you live in the carolinas, somebody in the block should have a generator, just incase
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

Is ocean temperature causing more of these?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Talked to my sister who lives in Fort Mill. She said it's humid but she's inland so she may not get the brunt of the storm.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

They are talking about 2.5 feet of rain. I went through two hurricanes in South Louisiana and if you added up the rainfall from both it was nowhere close. Very dangerous.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

The Carolina's may be in big trouble. He cares more about immigration than he does human life. e.g. Puerto Rico

Trump Administration Moved $10 Million From FEMA Budget to ICE

LINK

Quote:
As the predictions of Hurricane Florence’s impact on the east coast become more dire by the hour, FEMA’s budget is apparently $10 million lighter. The Trump administration reportedly transferred that amount from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) earlier this year.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Carolina's may be in big trouble. He cares more about immigration than he does human life. e.g. Puerto Rico

Trump Administration Moved $10 Million From FEMA Budget to ICE

LINK

Quote:
As the predictions of Hurricane Florence’s impact on the east coast become more dire by the hour, FEMA’s budget is apparently $10 million lighter. The Trump administration reportedly transferred that amount from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) earlier this year.

And hurricane season has just begun in earnest...whoa.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

I’m in Wake Forest, NC. Looks like it’s tracking more south now so we aren’t going to get the impact they thought but we’re still going to get rain and wind. Big rub is im selling my house and it’s under contract and closing sept 19th. Not only could this impact the closing it’s really putting a wrinkle in trying to get moved out by then.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In 2012, North Carolina legislators passed a bill that barred policymakers and developers from using up-to-date climate science to plan for rising sea levels on the state’s coast. Now Hurricane Florence threatens to cause a devastating storm surge that could put thousands of lives in danger and cost the state billions of dollars worth of damage.

Not terribly bright.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Quote:
In 2012, North Carolina legislators passed a bill that barred policymakers and developers from using up-to-date climate science to plan for rising sea levels on the state’s coast. Now Hurricane Florence threatens to cause a devastating storm surge that could put thousands of lives in danger and cost the state billions of dollars worth of damage.

Not terribly bright.

building go down, tax payer/FEMA fix and you get the new contract to build... Grand Ole Plan
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Drop a MOAB in the eye. LINK

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
I’m in Wake Forest, NC. Looks like it’s tracking more south now so we aren’t going to get the impact they thought but we’re still going to get rain and wind. Big rub is im selling my house and it’s under contract and closing sept 19th. Not only could this impact the closing it’s really putting a wrinkle in trying to get moved out by then.

You're going to be on the wet side, but at least you're a good distance inland. It looks like South Carolina is going to get drilled.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They are talking about 2.5 feet of rain. I went through two hurricanes in South Louisiana and if you added up the rainfall from both it was nowhere close. Very dangerous.

If it stalls like Harvey did last year, it could be awful.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

On the bright side, delays in moving out are better than drying it out. Stay safe my friend.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

A couple of the models now have it riding the coast as far as north of Charleston before it makes landfall. I fully understand this is selfish on my part.....but this is why I thought UNC and NC State should wait until Thursday morning before concluding to cancel the games. Raleigh is no longer even in the cone of uncertainty and may only get 1" to 3" of rain. I will not be surprised with the current trend if in the end, it is cloudy with a few showers in Raleigh. These things almost always turn in the final 72 hours.....or at least than has been my experience.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

It's rare, but your buyer's lender could temporarily cease lending in impacted areas pending an appraisal re-inspection to confirm that the house has not been damaged.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

I had a similar but opposite experience. I closed on a house a week before Charley hit Florida. I was not too concerned because it was projected to go North of my location....then it took that sharp turn into Punta Gorda leaving a path of damage across the state along the I-4 Corridor. I had damage, but nothing extreme. No electricity for a week with a 2 year old took a toll. It would get so hot, me and her would get in the shower in our bathing suits and just let the cold water pour over us.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

These live camera's along the coast are fascinating. It is clear the ocean is becoming "angry" on the North Carolina based cams. One that caught my attention is the one at the bottom which is located on the Frying Pan Tower. If you are not familiar with the Frying Pan, it is an old Coast Guard Light Station that some guy bought and turned into a bed and breakfast. It is 34 Miles off the NC coast. I can't imagine riding out this storm at that location, and I assume it has been vacated.

Florence Live Cams
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
trmiv wrote:

It's rare, but your buyer's lender could temporarily cease lending in impacted areas pending an appraisal re-inspection to confirm that the house has not been damaged.

Yea my agent said that was a possibility. Also that my buyers could have the same for their house which is also under contract. Another issue is my buyers may not be able to obtain homeowners insurance if they put a temporary stop on writing policies next week.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wow.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
These live camera's along the coast are fascinating. It is clear the ocean is becoming "angry" on the North Carolina based cams. One that caught my attention is the one at the bottom which is located on the Frying Pan Tower. If you are not familiar with the Frying Pan, it is an old Coast Guard Light Station that some guy bought and turned into a bed and breakfast. It is 34 Miles off the NC coast. I can't imagine riding out this storm at that location, and I assume it has been vacated.

Florence Live Cams
good post. shakes head at the surfers out there trying to catch a wave. GET OUTTA THERE.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wow.

I read that Florence is expected to drop 10 trillion gallons of water. That’s less than a third of what Harvey dropped last year, but the geography is different. We just got massive flooding, which was bad, of course. The Carolinas could see high volumes of rapidly moving water, essentially turning creeks into rapids. That could present a different kind of danger.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wow.

I read that Florence is expected to drop 10 trillion gallons of water. That’s less than a third of what Harvey dropped last year, but the geography is different. We just got massive flooding, which was bad, of course. The Carolinas could see high volumes of rapidly moving water, essentially turning creeks into rapids. That could present a different kind of danger.

Didn't you ride out Harvey?

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wow.

Didn't you ride out Harvey?

Sure. I live on high ground. Here's a article that puts the volume of rain into perspective. Link The volume of water from Florence will be much less than Harvey, but again, the geography of the Carolinas could make this more dangerous in some areas. Here's a discussion: Link
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: