Hollywood Hoops - Robert Horry Should be in the HOF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I wonder how many serious discussions about Horry being a HOFamer have ever existed?

This is one. I wonder has there ever been another one? I know emply had one in his head.

People have been debating this since Horry first became eligible for the Hall about five years ago. The discussions tend to be fairly similiar to this thread, since the arguments for and against him haven't changed much. The discussions are more frequent than you might imagine, primarily because Horry is a bit of a media slut and he frequently gives interviews where he declares how good he was and deserves to be in the Hall.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
I wonder how many serious discussions about Horry being a HOFamer have ever existed?

This is one. I wonder has there ever been another one? I know emply had one in his head.

People have been debating this since Horry first became eligible for the Hall about five years ago. The discussions tend to be fairly similiar to this thread, since the arguments for and against him haven't changed much. The discussions are more frequent than you might imagine, primarily because Horry is a bit of a media slut and he frequently gives interviews where he declares how good he was and deserves to be in the Hall.

Yeah, I haven't heard any discussions on Horry being a HOFamer. Never heard him called a future HOFamer by anyone. Never really read an article about it. I mean, any serious discussion. Here's one from 2013

Quote:
Robert Horry should be inducted into Halls of Fame, but not that one

The Hook dissects the totally unreasonable case for Robert Horry to make the Hall.

So there's really no reason to put Big Shot Bob in the Basketball Hall of Fame.

He didn't have a Hall of Fame career in any traditional sense: he was a role player in 11 of his 16 seasons, and in those five seasons as a featured player, he peaked at 12 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. The funny thing about his reputation as a shot maker is that he was largely a poor per-minute scorer throughout his career. He averaged 10.3 points per 36 minutes, peaking at a whopping 12.4 as a rookie. His rebounding wasn't much better, and in fact was pretty atrocious once he became a full-time power forward. His defense was valuable, but he was never one of the top two defenders on his team. (He might have been the No. 3 defender on a couple of his Lakers teams.) He has two claims to the Hall: championships and famous playoffs shots.

So, basically, serendipity. Horry's entire Hall of Fame case is based on serendipity. That isn't to say that serendipity doesn't play a role in every successful career, basketball or otherwise. But the entire case for Horry in the Hall is serendipity. That's it.

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
If you watched the Lakers during the three peat years you'll remember power foward was one of our weakest positions. Horry held his ground against legends like Chris Webber, Rasheed Wallace, Tim Duncan, etc. But he was never a #1 or #2 guy on the Lakers. Fox, Fisher, and Horry were the core supporting cast to mega stars Shaq and Kobe. Role players that did their job in a system and fed off the top dogs. We just remember Horry more because of the clutch shots and his titles with HOU and SA.

I love Horry and you don't just stumble onto 7 championships by accident, but he was a "right place, right time" kind of guy.

I thought those guys dominated him. Same with Malone who always seemed to destroy the Lakers and then underperform in the Finals against the Bulls.

Btw, look at the big men that Horry got to play with. He played with Hakeem, Shaq, and then Duncan. Doesn’t get any better than that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: