Hollywood Hoops - Robert Horry Should be in the HOF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Would those teams he played on won those 7 titles without him? How do the Lakers advance in the playoffs without this "role player". Where are the HOF players without his contribution. He's not just a big shot player but a solid defender too. The argument he was a lucky guy who got 7 rings is nonsense. The teams he played on didn't need him to average 30 points per game.

Role players are terrible... and don't qualify?

Then non of these players should be considered and some of these guys need the HOF title removed like Ray Allen he never averaged 30 ppg only has 2 rings...

Steve Kerr
Michael Cooper
Cedric Maxwell
Vinnie Johnson
Ray Allen
Jason Terry
Kurt Rambis
A.C. Green
Charles Oakley
Bruce Bowen
Bill Laimbeer
Rick Mahorn
Maurice Lucas
Ben Wallace
Do any of these teams win without these players? No

Stop the Blue Collar Hatorade

-JMHO
Go Lakers!
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Would those teams he played on won those 7 titles without him? How do the Lakers advance in the playoffs without this "role player". Where are the HOF players without his contribution. He's not just a big shot player but a solid defender too. The argument he was a lucky guy who got 7 rings is nonsense. The teams he played on didn't need him to average 30 points per game.

Role players are terrible... and don't qualify?

Then non of these players should be considered and some of these guys need the HOF title removed like Ray Allen he never averaged 30 ppg only has 2 rings...

Steve Kerr
Michael Cooper
Cedric Maxwell
Vinnie Johnson
Ray Allen
Jason Terry
Kurt Rambis
A.C. Green
Charles Oakley
Bruce Bowen
Bill Laimbeer
Rick Mahorn
Maurice Lucas
Ben Wallace
Do any of these teams win without these players? No

Stop the Blue Collar Hatorade

-JMHO
Go Lakers!

The fact that you're equating Ray Allen or even Ben Wallace to Robert Horry is laughable.

Almost as laughable as OP stating that Horry > TMac and Mitch Richmond.

I swear. Only on a Lakers board does poop hit the fan about a ROLE. PLAYER.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

LOL @emplay... with the click bait.

How the selling out impacts the brain cells and/or integrity, huh, Eric?

Quote:
Horry made a bigger impact on the NBA than McGrady

You just asked a fanbase that ADORES Robert Horry and got an overwhelming HELL TO THE NAW...

I wish I could embed videos...

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Horry is more HOF worthy than T-Mac IMO.

Big-time scorers come and go - Joe Johnson has been an All-Star for like 30 years - doesn't mean he should be in the HOF.

Impact on the game - I think Reggie Miller made an impact on the game. Karl Malone, Barkley - didn't win titles but are deserving of their place in the HOF.

To me, Richmond, T-Mac are iffy. Great scorers and?

When you say “Making a case for Horry to be in the HOF”

Is this case based on your personal standards or based on the actual standards that voters go by?

Because the actual voters voted in Richmond and TMac and Horry isn’t even close
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

LakerFanInThe702 wrote:
I don't ever post at all..(seriously look at how long I have been member & how many posts I have made, but even I have to chime in on this).. but you have been on NBATV, written for the LA Times, & now write for hoopshype.. & host your own podcast.. but for you Eric Pincus to write these 2 sentences: "Robert Horry should be in the Hall Of Fame" & "Robert Horry had a bigger impact on the game & should be in the Hall of Fame over Tracy McGrady"..

Eric, you are either (A) drunk, (B) High, (C) on bath salts, (D) got hacked or (E) all of the above.. but for you to seriously make this illogical case.. is just dumbfounding.. like I don't need to list T-Mac resume.. we all know what it is (with leading the league in scoring, All Star games he made etc etc)..

If you really believe this, then you shouldn't be allowed to talk basketball & get paid for it.. like talk about it with your friends at the water-cooler or at the neighborhood bar.. that is fine.. but to have a national platform to spew such nonsense.. nah.. this is seriously up there with the coldest of all cold takes.. you should be embarrassed saying this.. smh..

Chris Rhodes..

This is Skip Bayless / Jason Whitlock territory
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject:

LakerFanInThe702 wrote:
I don't ever post at all..(seriously look at how long I have been member & how many posts I have made, but even I have to chime in on this).. but you have been on NBATV, written for the LA Times, & now write for hoopshype.. & host your own podcast.. but for you Eric Pincus to write these 2 sentences: "Robert Horry should be in the Hall Of Fame" & "Robert Horry had a bigger impact on the game & should be in the Hall of Fame over Tracy McGrady"..

Eric, you are either (A) drunk, (B) High, (C) on bath salts, (D) got hacked or (E) all of the above.. but for you to seriously make this illogical case.. is just dumbfounding.. like I don't need to list T-Mac resume.. we all know what it is (with leading the league in scoring, All Star games he made etc etc)..

If you really believe this, then you shouldn't be allowed to talk basketball & get paid for it.. like talk about it with your friends at the water-cooler or at the neighborhood bar.. that is fine.. but to have a national platform to spew such nonsense.. nah.. this is seriously up there with the coldest of all cold takes.. you should be embarrassed saying this.. smh..

Chris Rhodes..

This is Skip Bayless / Jason Whitlock territory
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
HOF title removed like Ray Allen he never averaged 30 ppg only has 2 rings...

If the criteria for being in the Hall of Fame was averaging more than 30 ppg in a season and winning more than two rings, the Hall would only have four players in it.

Here are some who would be left out: Wilt, Jerry West, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Tim Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq, Magic and Larry Bird.

That would be one sorry Hall of Fame.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

If the criteria for being in the Hall of Fame was averaging more than 30 ppg in a season and winning more than two rings, the Hall would only have four players in it.

Here are some who would be left out: Wilt, Jerry West, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Tim Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq, Magic and Larry Bird.

Sorry to nitpick but Wilt would be on that list.

Were the other 4 you’re thinking of be MJ, Kobe, Kareem, McAdoo?

Edit: well I guess Kobe ain’t in yet.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanInThe702 wrote:
you are either (A) drunk, (B) High, (C) on bath salts, (D) got hacked or (E) all of the above..

If you disagree, state why. There is no reason to be rude. Insulting people is not the equivalent to having a discussion.

--Anonymous
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

The criteria was winning more than two rings and having at least one season where you average 30 ppg.

Wilt only won two rings.

The four guys who won at least three rings and average 30 ppg at some point were: Jordan, Kareem, Kobe and Lebron. (And Dr. J if you count ABA rings).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

What a bizarre hill to make a stand on. Guess we're all just itching for the season to start yeah?
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

The criteria was winning more than two rings and having at least one season where you average 30 ppg.

Wilt only won two rings.

The four guys who won at least three rings and average 30 ppg at some point were: Jordan, Kareem, Kobe and Lebron. (And Dr. J if you count ABA rings).

Thanks. My bad, missed the more than 2 part.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

Wilt only won two rings.

No worries. Easy thing to do. It was kind of awkwardly worded.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PartyMan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

Wilt only won two rings.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PartyMan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

Wilt only won two rings.

SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hollywood Hoops - Robert Horry Should be in the HOF

activeverb wrote:
emplay wrote:
Hey All,

Latest @hollywood_hoops Ep. 101: Making the Hall-of-Fame Case for Former L.A. Lakers Forward Robert Horry w/@JoshMartinNBA
https://www.almightyballer.com/hollywood-hoops-ep-101-making-hall-of-fame-case-lakers-forward-robert-horry/

Cheers,

EP

I don't even need to listen to this to know the case.

Pro: He won seven rings with three teams, and hit some big shots.

Con: He never made a single all-star team or won any individual honors; he might have been only the fourth to seventh best players on those ring teams; and his lifetime stats are a pedestrian 7-5-2.

My Opinion: He's not close to being a Hall of Famer.

Coach Wooden
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

I consider all the players I mentioned role players. I was responding to Bat Guano saying role players don't belong in the HOF. Only elite players, whatever that means.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

I consider all the players I mentioned role players. I was responding to Bat Guano saying role players don't belong in the HOF. Only elite players, whatever that means.

If you are lumping Ray Allen, Bill Lambier, Ray Allen and Maurice Lucas together as "role players" you are using the term in such a vague, elastic way that it is meaningless.

Sounds like all you mean is: "The Hall of Fame should only have 10 members because everyone else in league history is a role player."
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

If you are lumping Ray Allen, Bill Lambier, Ray Allen and Maurice Lucas together as "role players" you are using the term in such a vague, elastic way that it is meaningless.

Sounds like all you mean is: "The Hall of Fame should only have 10 members because everyone else in league history is a role player."

Ray Allen:

10x Allstar
2x All-NBA
2x Champion
All-Time 3 point shot leader
Hit one of the biggest shots in Finals/championship history (comparable to Jordan's last shot against the Jazz and Magic's babyskyhook against the Celtics and bigger than any of Horry's)

Role player....?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

Ray Allen:

10x Allstar
2x All-NBA
2x Champion
All-Time 3 point shot leader
Hit one of the biggest shots in Finals/championship history (comparable to Jordan's last shot against the Jazz and Magic's babyskyhook against the Celtics and bigger than any of Horry's)

Role player....?

It's silly. If you want to have some kind of line where Ray Allen doesn't make the Hall of Fame, okay, but that doesn't mean Robert Horry, Kurt Rambis, etc. are anywhere close to the player he was. But, again, it shows how weak the case is for Horry when people have to go to all these weird, illogical directions to try to support it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

You should have to put up HOF numbers to be in the HOF. So no, Horry should not be in it.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject:

What are you people smoking he has 7 rings? He has more winning then most professional sports franchises. Big shot Bob is a damn NBA legend. There is no debate he will make it.

Last edited by Jellojigglin on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
What are you people smoking he has 7 rings? He has more winning then most professional sports franchises. Big shot Bob is a damn NBA legend.

RINGZ ERNIEH!!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
What are you people smoking he has 7 rings? He has more winning then most professional sports franchises. Big shot Bob is a damn NBA legend. There is no debate he will make it.

Agreed.. I understand the Importance of having great players being in the HOF, but I can’t help but think how many of those teams would have still won a title if it wasn’t for Big Shot Bob coming through in big games...
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:

So does Horace Grant. How about him? He has 4 rings with 2 teams AND an All-Star and 4 x All-D selections. Or is 7 the cut off?

Robert Horry won't be in HoF. There is no doubt in my mind.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: