The time Kobe Bryant hung his gold medal in Pau Gasol's locker after Olympics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The time Kobe Bryant hung his gold medal in Pau Gasol's locker after Olympics

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/09/12/the-time-kobe-bryant-hung-his-gold-medal-in-pau-gasols-locker-after-olympics/

Quote:
The time Kobe Bryant hung his gold medal in Pau Gasol’s locker after Olympics

Pau Gasol takes incredible pride in representing Spain on the international stage — he still wants to play for them in the World Cup next summer, when he will be 39. He has a FIBA World Cup title and three EuroBasket titles for Spain, plus two Olympics silver medals. Both silvers because of losses to the USA in the Gold Medal game.

Kobe Bryant beat Gasol for one of those gold medals in 2008 in Beijing. Then Kobe tormented him with it, and used it as that particular Kobe style of motivation, via 24/7 Sports.

“One of my favorite ones, Pau hates it every time I tell this story,” Bryant recalls. “He hates it. We lost to the Celtics in ’08 and it was a physical series. I mean they beat the crap out of us. We go into the Olympic year, that year, we wind up playing Spain for the gold-medal match and we beat them. So now we come back to start training camp and Pau shows up first day of training camp, I have my gold medal hanging in his locker.

“The one thing he truly, truly love is his country. That is like everything to him. So it just drove him crazy. He said ‘You’re an ass—!’ I said, ‘Listen Pau, you lost to the Celtics, you lost to us in the gold-medal match, let’s not make this three in a row this year. Let’s win this thing.’ That was it for him.

“Pau was a phenomenon to begin with. For him, it was just stepping up a level of physicality, that we needed him to get to, which he did and we went on to win back-to-back championships.”

Kobe has told this story before. Gasol isn’t exactly motivated by the same strategies as Kobe, either — no doubt he got the message, but Kobe didn’t need to do it that way to motivate Gasol. That’s just Kobe. And he can be a bit of an ass—-.

But the Lakers went on to win the next two titles, beating the Celtics in 2010, so the victors get to write the history.

And now we know where Pau's anger came from
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
That's a legitimate awful thing to do.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Kobe always was a jerk, but that's part of what made him different. I tend to think more like Coach Wooden: keep that hazing crap outta here.

I would have done the same. If you can't mess with your teammates then what's the point?

My career in labor law taught me that knuckleheads with power (Kobe and many others like him) get away with inappropriate behavior in the workplace (harassment) like that far too often.

>my career in labor law gave me the knowledge base to form opinions that are largely irrelevant to this sports story
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Kobe always was a jerk, but that's part of what made him different. I tend to think more like Coach Wooden: keep that hazing crap outta here.

I would have done the same. If you can't mess with your teammates then what's the point?

My career in labor law taught me that knuckleheads with power (Kobe and many others like him) get away with inappropriate behavior in the workplace (harassment) like that far too often.

>my career in labor law gave me the knowledge base to form opinions that are largely irrelevant to this sports story

Yeah, that whole reply was super cringe worthy to say the least. Not really very relevant at all to this story since professional sports is an entire different world.

Kobe clearly did it as motivation and the last thing he wanted to do was make Gasol feel bad, it was about turning those negative experiences into motivation and not letting it happen again because Kobe knew how great Gasol could be when he was fully engaged. I would say it worked pretty well as the next couple of seasons were Gasol's best imo.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Is pau a protected class?
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Is pau a protected class?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject:

Pau should talk to HR.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
70sdude wrote:

cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The time Kobe Bryant hung his gold medal in Pau Gasol's locker after Olympics

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/09/12/the-time-kobe-bryant-hung-his-gold-medal-in-pau-gasols-locker-after-olympics/

Quote:
The time Kobe Bryant hung his gold medal in Pau Gasol’s locker after Olympics

Pau Gasol takes incredible pride in representing Spain on the international stage — he still wants to play for them in the World Cup next summer, when he will be 39. He has a FIBA World Cup title and three EuroBasket titles for Spain, plus two Olympics silver medals. Both silvers because of losses to the USA in the Gold Medal game.

Kobe Bryant beat Gasol for one of those gold medals in 2008 in Beijing. Then Kobe tormented him with it, and used it as that particular Kobe style of motivation, via 24/7 Sports.

“One of my favorite ones, Pau hates it every time I tell this story,” Bryant recalls. “He hates it. We lost to the Celtics in ’08 and it was a physical series. I mean they beat the crap out of us. We go into the Olympic year, that year, we wind up playing Spain for the gold-medal match and we beat them. So now we come back to start training camp and Pau shows up first day of training camp, I have my gold medal hanging in his locker.

“The one thing he truly, truly love is his country. That is like everything to him. So it just drove him crazy. He said ‘You’re an ass—!’ I said, ‘Listen Pau, you lost to the Celtics, you lost to us in the gold-medal match, let’s not make this three in a row this year. Let’s win this thing.’ That was it for him.

“Pau was a phenomenon to begin with. For him, it was just stepping up a level of physicality, that we needed him to get to, which he did and we went on to win back-to-back championships.”

Kobe has told this story before. Gasol isn’t exactly motivated by the same strategies as Kobe, either — no doubt he got the message, but Kobe didn’t need to do it that way to motivate Gasol. That’s just Kobe. And he can be a bit of an ass—-.

But the Lakers went on to win the next two titles, beating the Celtics in 2010, so the victors get to write the history.

ROTFLOL
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

KOBE

Phil Jackson: You know there’s that joyful hero excellence that goes along with being a star, and then there’s also that humbling experience that happens to many of our players when they are taken off their pedestal. We’ve seen it happen to a lot of players. Michael Jordan when his gambling became the issue that everybody focused on in a certain period of his career. For Kobe, it was an act that changed his life. Soon after, the Lakers had a back-to-back with Portland. We had played them at home and then flew to Portland. It’s not a nice trip. It’s raining. We must have gotten in at 3 o’clock in the morning. I always had a meeting with the coaches in the morning. And we’re meeting at 9 o’clock in the basement of the hotel, and we’re sitting there, and Kobe comes in the door. It’s Ash Wednesday, and he’s got ashes. He’s gotten up and gone to church. – via The California Sunday Magazine
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: