Shaq: “I’d average 50 in this era because bigs don’t play physical”
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I think Shaq would average 30+

And give up about 30.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

He would tbh. Who's going to stop him, Draymond?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
He would tbh. Who's going to stop him, Draymond?

Let see, Embiid, Towns, Kanter, McGee, Gortat, Dwight, Nene, Jokic, Nurkic, Plumlees, Alex Zen, The Lopezes...

Shaq would go bananas at these softies, he probably seeing them as Shawn Bradley (youtube it, Shaq and Shawn Bradley... not pretty)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

A lot of people forget how hard it is to make a good post entry pass. Basically, modern defenses would just zone Shaq and deny him the ball. When he did get the ball, he would be up against some defensive center with six fouls to give.
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
A lot of people forget how hard it is to make a good post entry pass. Basically, modern defenses would just zone Shaq and deny him the ball. When he did get the ball, he would be up against some defensive center with six fouls to give.

Sounds exactly like when Shaq played, and he still dominated.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

Druggas wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sounds exactly like when Shaq played, and he still dominated.

Zone defense been allowed since '01... how did Shaq do after '01?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Shaq was stronger, faster, bigger and more agile than DeMarcus Cousins, hell he was almost as athletic as David Robinson (D.Rob could run like a gazelle tho). He prob wouldn’t have bulked up much more than his Orlando physique and prob concentrate on developing jumpers more but he can most def do well in this era

No one is denying he'd do well. Heck, he'll be the best center in the league just as he was for most of his career when he played. The exaggerations of 50 pts per game is what I'm talking about. It just wouldn't happen. Developing a jumper? C'mon, now we're just fantasying a player. The league changed while Dwight Howard was in tip top shape, did he do anything about it? You are what you are. FT shooting ability transcends all eras. If you can't shoot FT's in your era, then you cannot convince me that you would develop a jumper in another era.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

Shaq was a pretty good athlete for his size so I would think he could adjust to today’s game...but imo the adjustment would be on the defensive end. He would need to show that he can handle switches.

A lot of players of his size and athleticism are basically extinct because they struggle with the defensive end now with small ball, etc.

I think he would hang, but that would be the question mark for me.
EthanHarris
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Shaq was a pretty good athlete for his size so I would think he could adjust to today’s game...but imo the adjustment would be on the defensive end. He would need to show that he can handle switches.

A lot of players of his size and athleticism are basically extinct because they struggle with the defensive end now with small ball, etc.

I think he would hang, but that would be the question mark for me.

Agree.
He could play very well now, but won't score 50 per game. and not even 30 every game. But still, we are talking about Shaq..
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
governator wrote:
Shaq was stronger, faster, bigger and more agile than DeMarcus Cousins, hell he was almost as athletic as David Robinson (D.Rob could run like a gazelle tho). He prob wouldn’t have bulked up much more than his Orlando physique and prob concentrate on developing jumpers more but he can most def do well in this era

No one is denying he'd do well. Heck, he'll be the best center in the league just as he was for most of his career when he played. The exaggerations of 50 pts per game is what I'm talking about. It just wouldn't happen. Developing a jumper? C'mon, now we're just fantasying a player. The league changed while Dwight Howard was in tip top shape, did he do anything about it? You are what you are. FT shooting ability transcends all eras. If you can't shoot FT's in your era, then you cannot convince me that you would develop a jumper in another era.

Not saying he gonna drop 50 per game neither. I just think people forgot how athletic Shaq was in his younger days before he bulked up and talking like he can't defend today's players or he gonna have problems with zone defenses... youtube and refresh your memory
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

imagine Draymond guarding Shaq lol

50... no.
30 of utter dominance... yet
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

He also said he averaged 28 and 15 during Steve Nash’s MVP years.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

We can speculate, but we have no idea whether today's rules and enforcement of them would allow Shaq (circa 2000) to play today the way he did back then. The difficulty of officiating Shaq even back then (with that physically punishing style of interior play) was controversial.

His peak period of productivity and of mid-career came twenty years back; that's an era ago, essentially. Leave him and his legacy to the ages, I say.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

He'd get fouled a lot more, so he'd have to work on his FT shooting.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
He'd get fouled a lot more, so he'd have to work on his FT shooting.

This is where my thinking led to as well. When Shaq played they allowed more physical play. Shaq would drop that shoulder in to his defenders chest with extreme force. Maybe that would be an offensive foul now, idk? Also the way he was defended would be much more scrutinized wrt fouls. That means more fouls, but at the same time, players still only get 6 fouls each in 2018 like they did in 2002 so they would have to defend a little softer. Too bad we will never be able to see prime Shaq play in this era.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
He'd definitely dominate on offense in any era because that's just the type of generational physical talent he had, and he could thrive on that alone. But you've got to figure that if even if he's scoring 2 points on teams almost every time down, is he going to come out and guard 3-point shooters on the other end? Probably not. Good coaches would easily be able to exploit his weaknesses and pick on him on defense with the ways most offenses are designed to score now. Not to say that you couldn't win with him, but there are definitely pros and cons there, and it would be interesting to see how slowing down the pace with a more half court-centric offense built around Shaq would fare today. I think it's safe to say the out-of-shape version of him wouldn't work, though. He wouldn't able to get away with that (bleep) anymore.
shaq wasnt just getting 2's. he was getting and 1's too. people forget this.

If i get your entire team in foul trouble trying to stop me. then you can play any defense on my periemter players for fear of fouling out or sending the actual shooters to the line. shaq was like meat tenderizer . he would soften up an entire team so the other guys could put the meat on the grill and cook their opponents.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
you're acting like the spurs were not playing zone vs shaq. he did play in that era. still dominated.

prime shaq aint being stopped period in no era.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
yea shaq, not necessarily. Yes, the centers play soft and shoot jumpers now, but this is something the league has deliberatly moved towards. SO what he is saying would require the cooperation of the nba rulemakers and refs most importantly. He may adjust, but that's an IF.
He talks like he can shoot threes, he just chooses not to. WEll, sorry. You probably couldn't shoot threes, just like you couldn't hit free throws (but yes you did make them for the lakers when it counted).

Shaq might be forgetting that the zone ruined his game. He didn't forget, he always mentions it lol. The zone was basically instituted the year Shaq destroyed the league. He was not super effective in college for the same reason. I don't see how different it would be now, the game is basically like college.

Again, we will see this year how good a team can do that sucks at shooting threes. We are that team. Other than KCP and Beasly, we have average shooters.

Yeah, i laughed at that part. If shaq tried to shoot threes half his shot attempts would end up hitting people in the stands. I agree that he would be marginalized at least somewhat in today's game.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
LakersFanESS wrote:
Shaq would just dominate this crop of centers in the league. They get scared of Lebron coming at them at 260...Shaq was 7-2 360 and more agile and quick than your center. Remember what he did to Mutumbo, Sabonis, Vlade...it would be a blood bath against Capela, Horford, etc...

i dont think anyone is scared of lebron without the refs. There are at least two finals where he was single covered and dared to shoot, lol. That's embarrassing.

Says the guy sitting on his butt watching games from his couch. I'm sure if you asked the players and coaches themselves it would be a much different answer.

ha ha, how do you know? Guy's perceptive and sounds like he plays ball. I've seen what he's talking about. Lebron often has not been aggressive when he hasn't had a clear path to the basket. And he's rarely doubled so when he passes he is mostly singled covered. And he passes quite a bit - more than Kobe did. he's also often gotten special treatment from the refs - as did MJ. Many stars have. Hopefully it continues.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject:

Shaq would definitely be a monster in today's game.

A huge part of the game having gone "big less" is due to the lack of forces like him. The second such a dominant 7 footer comes by again, other teams will need to have stiffs on the roster just to throw at him, like it was at the big centers era.

Or do you expect the Draymond Greens or Julius Randles of the world to do anything?

As a matter of fact, I feel the league is slowly getting bigger again, with guys like AD, Rudy Gobert and Joel Embiid being huge impact guys last season. Now you have DeAndre Ayton coming in as well, might not be long before we get another big guy era.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
you're acting like the spurs were not playing zone vs shaq. he did play in that era. still dominated.

Right. I forgot that he averaged 50 ppg against the Spurs. My bad.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

It's just like what Kareem said about GOAT discussions: it's nothing to be taken seriously.

If Shaq was 28 years old today, he'd likely not become the same guy we knew in 2001 or so. He and his game probably would have developed differently, for better or worse. I think he was gifted physically enough to have become a big force in the league in today's game, had he come along for this era instead of the one prior.

Given the sort of circumstances we've seen in the playoffs since 2002, it's notable that there's not been a championship squad led by someone who can't shoot outside 8' of the rim. That poses a legitimate question regarding Shaq's chance of winning four rings, wouldn't it ? Would he have developed that shooting skill ? Would he have needed to ?

We'll never know.

Now, pass the pizza, please.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

America's Laker Podcast is really good. This particular episode was great
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Right. I forgot that he averaged 50 ppg against the Spurs. My bad.
you're missing the point. the spurs were a much better defensive team and had a much better big man then anyone not named embid right now. lets be real about it. the C position is as soft as a pack of marshmallows a little to close to the camp fire.

The same way the raptors were running every type of zone coverage they could vs kobe but kobe still dropped 81 because they sucked on D regardless. is the same thing shaq would do to these new soft centers.

and I'm not even going to say if he would win those games or not as a team. but for him. he would destroy the league worse then he did in his era where there were better bigs with more actual post skill, more aggressive, liked to get rough, they allowed people to hug and hold a lot more without calls, and those bigs overall had much better personal man to man defense then the current crop.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

I think Shaq would dominate today's era.

But he would also be exploited with pace/space, PnR, etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: