Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

There was an interesting job posting within my organization for a promotion to a position that would be a 5 mile commute (instead of 20 minutes in the heart of traffic). Of course a raise (5% immediately) and a higher cap (5k more than what I could make in my title now).

Downsides:

1. would be pigeonholed into one speciality/area. Could possibly down the road lead to further promotions, but I would literally be doing one type of law/job.

2. right now I'm sort of located in the "brains" of the operation that span across the entire state. I like that level of operation/thinking as I get to interact with many more managers/high level folks across the state rather than one smaller area.

I'm leaning towards not applying and waiting for a promotional opportunity here. What do y'all think? (I've been in my position for about 5 years now and I have a pretty easy load and have way less stress than previous to this job). Of course $ would be better, but that's really about it seems.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

I don’t know your precise circumstances, of course. I think you said you did something HR related on the legal side. That’s a good place to be and has a lot of demand. People like me will always keep you busy.

On the other hand, speaking as a guy coming up on the.34 year mark as a lawyer, specialization can be a very good thing if you are still on the front end of your career.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

yinoma2001 wrote:
There was an interesting job posting within my organization for a promotion to a position that would be a 5 mile commute (instead of 20 minutes in the heart of traffic). Of course a raise (5% immediately) and a higher cap (5k more than what I could make in my title now).

Downsides:

1. would be pigeonholed into one speciality/area. Could possibly down the road lead to further promotions, but I would literally be doing one type of law/job.

2. right now I'm sort of located in the "brains" of the operation that span across the entire state. I like that level of operation/thinking as I get to interact with many more managers/high level folks across the state rather than one smaller area.

I'm leaning towards not applying and waiting for a promotional opportunity here. What do y'all think? (I've been in my position for about 5 years now and I have a pretty easy load and have way less stress than previous to this job). Of course $ would be better, but that's really about it seems.

I can not endorse this promotion due to it's potential impact on your post count.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

From a completely different field perspective... Yeah, take it
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Downsides:

I can not endorse this promotion due to it's potential impact on your post count.

That is true. My post count could be severely impacted!
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

yinoma2001 wrote:

Downsides:

Sounds like you enjoy your current position and have minimal stress. If the new position is going to be more stressful then might not be worth the extra cash. 5k is not really that much when you factor in taxes. How secure is your current job compared to the new one? That would be another factor to look at.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

The Thief wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Downsides:

Sounds like you enjoy your current position and have minimal stress. If the new position is going to be more stressful then might not be worth the extra cash. 5k is not really that much when you factor in taxes. How secure is your current job compared to the new one? That would be another factor to look at.

Super secure. And in line for bigger things if I wait. Feels like I would be giving up 2 steps forward for 1 step now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Thief wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Downsides:

Super secure. And in line for bigger things if I wait. Feels like I would be giving up 2 steps forward for 1 step now.

I think you already know the answer.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Thief wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Downsides:

I think you already know the answer.

This.
If you're asking LG... you already know the answer my bro.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Always good to have a sounding board! But the immediate $ and commute is tempting.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

If the commute were the same, would you still consider ot?

I’m feeling like you wouldn’t.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Prob not.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

nah, i wouldn't do it.

if you're comfortable and see a solid career path currently, a move for 5% more money is not worth it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Prob not.

Yeah, so that should tell you everything you need to know about whether to take it.

Because if it was a killer job, with more pay, you’d jump at the chance even if the commute were the same, right?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

First off, I now have a 4-1/2mile commute (no freeway, just over and down on two streets) and it is awesome!

Consider the positives of that alone:
1) Save money on gas
2) Lower your auto insurance
3) Longer times between maintenance
4) Tires last longer
5) With less miles on you car, it lasts longer
6) With less miles on your car it depreciates less

As far as the job goes, I'm gonna play the Logical-Psychologist here and psychoanalyse you..

I'm thinking you are overly content with your present job and afraid of this advancement. You are looking for any little reasons to turn it down. ATTENTION: This is a good thing and you should go for it! IF after sever years do not not like it and want to pursue another position in a different company, you will have bumped up your salary expectations and will thus be farther ahead.

(Tough love advise): Quit being a whiner, a baby and a wuss, go for the advancement! No one here is gonna care if you have a few less posts, and no one here has to live your life, so to quote NIKE: JUST DO IT...!

Last edited by unleasHell on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Always good to have a sounding board! But the immediate $ and commute is tempting.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I'm just guessing that extra $ isn't really going to be life-changing. Probably moves the needle just a tiny bit. On the other hand, it seems like the drawbacks of the promotion ARE life changing. At the very least, those drawbacks are something you will feel professionally. Compound this by the fact that you said if you sit tight where you are, you have a promising outlook...to me the answer is obvious.

Or maybe I'm just pushing you in this direction to keep the status quo here with your post count here at LG ?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject:

Don't do it!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Don't do it!

As many of you know, I was once and still have a ton of friends in the gaming industry. I can't tell you how many number producers that took the Senior Producer promotion on a (bleep) title that floundered and it all went south. Just weigh the future promise of staying versus going with no regard to the marginal pay raise and commute. Then I think you'll get your answer Yinomes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
First off, I now have a 4-1/2 commute (no freeway, just over and down on two streets) and it is awesome!

Consider the positives of that alone:
1) Save money on gas
2) Lower your auto insurance
3) Longer times between maintenance
4) Tires last longer
5) With less miles on you car, it lasts longer
6) With less miles on your car it depreciates less

As far as the job goes, I'm gonna play the Logical-Psychologist here and psychoanalyse you..

I'm thinking you are overly content with your present job and afraid of this advancement. You are looking for any little reasons to turn it down. ATTENTION: This is a good thing and you should go for it! IF after sever years do not not like it and want to pursue another position in a different company, you will have bumped up your salary expectations and will thus be farther ahead.

(Tough love advise): Quit being a whiner, a baby and a wuss, go for the advancement! No one here is gonna care if you have a few less posts, and no one here has to live your life, so to quote NIKE: JUST DO IT...!

Thanks for the other perspective.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's actually not the right move (though I'm leaning towards applying and interviewing just to see if my assumptions are correct). I just see it more as a 1 step forward instead of possibly 2-3 steps forward if I stay just a little longer in my position. A lot to think about.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

Are there others that you could see coming on the horizon?
Maybe talk with your boss about it. Folks who step up are deemed to have initiative. So not taking it could be a bad sign, depending on the culture of the company. Explain the reasons why.

Lastly, if it does sound interesting, get on your standard bargaining procedures on and haggle for a much better raise.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Are there others that you could see coming on the horizon?
Maybe talk with your boss about it. Folks who step up are deemed to have initiative. So not taking it could be a bad sign, depending on the culture of the company. Explain the reasons why.

Lastly, if it does sound interesting, get on your standard bargaining procedures on and haggle for a much better raise.

Oh it's not that I'm turning down a promotion. I would have to apply and interview like everyone else, but I'm confident I could do well if I wanted it. Unfortunately I'm a public sector employee so there's not much wiggle room in terms of bargaining for $. I'm up for a similar raise in 3 months so the immediate pay increase isn't that much to begin with. I just don't want to dead-end myself.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Thief wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Downsides:

no such thing.take the promotion.
and then keep tabs on any opportunities at the old office. the moment those things pop up that you are saying will come up at some point in time. then you pounce on them. You will have been promoted once already proving you are that good at your job and are willing to learn new things. Promote, promote and promote again. unless of course you have zero desire to do the job this promotion is calling you to do. You may end up learning something that could give you an edge on that next promotion. you never know.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Be careful. The manager position for our group has chewed up 4 guys in 6 years. Some positions aren't worth it.

If it gets you from worker to manager, it will open up a bunch of doors but it could be hell while you're there.

Do your homework.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Thief wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Downsides:

no such thing.take the promotion.
and then keep tabs on any opportunities at the old office. the moment those things pop up that you are saying will come up at some point in time. then you pounce on them. You will have been promoted once already proving you are that good at your job and are willing to learn new things. Promote, promote and promote again. unless of course you have zero desire to do the job this promotion is calling you to do. You may end up learning something that could give you an edge on that next promotion. you never know.

That's the thing. He has no desire to do the job the promotion is calling him to do.

The only reason he is even THINKING about it, is because it cuts his commute by 15 mins.

To me, that's A reason to consider a job change, but should never be THE reason.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Time and money v what you really want to do.

That's what it looks like.

I'd stick with what I really want to do.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: