Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

My advice is to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of the move in the short term, weigh those against the long term (for example, money now that you don't absolutely need over money later in a better fit), and heavily factor in what you want to be doing outside of the more objective figures. I make less money than I could because i live where i want and do what I have grown to love.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
My advice is to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of the move in the short term, weigh those against the long term (for example, money now that you don't absolutely need over money later in a better fit), and heavily factor in what you want to be doing outside of the more objective figures. I make less money than I could because i live where i want and do what I have grown to love.

Good advice. Yeah, I left a much more lucrative private firm to go to the public sector side, but my life (and post count) is much better and I get to spend much more time with my family. As far as money, it's really not that much different in the long haul. I just don't like being pigeonholed into one specialty and in one location (right now I do a lot of things and cover the entire state which is more interesting to me).
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

The grass is not always greener. I've learned that the hard way over the last several months.

I went to a bigger, more stable company that was offering a slight increase after having gone through the ringer at my prior companies. I thought the stability would be great. It turns out, when you go to a bigger company, you can find yourself in a smaller box.

Sure, I'm making a little bit more money but I really miss getting involved in a broader array of projects. I'm bored to tears most days.

On paper, everyone will say I made the right decision, but I can't shake this feeling that I screwed up. I'm so under-utilized that I came back to LG after a pretty long break. As much as I like you all, I'd rather be doing interesting things at work.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
The grass is not always greener. I've learned that the hard way over the last several months.

I went to a bigger, more stable company that was offering a slight increase after having gone through the ringer at my prior companies. I thought the stability would be great. It turns out, when you go to a bigger company, you can find yourself in a smaller box.

Sure, I'm making a little bit more money but I really miss getting involved in a broader array of projects. I'm bored to tears most days.

On paper, everyone will say I made the right decision, but I can't shake this feeling that I screwed up. I'm so under-utilized that I came back to LG after a pretty long break. As much as I like you all, I'd rather be doing interesting things at work.

Interesting. Things are SLOWER where I'm at right now, but when things pick up, very interesting stuff. I handle so many different things that I like the variety of this job.

If I went elsewhere, it's literally a 2% increase (over my salary bump in December), and about 4k more than the max I would earn at my current position, all to do something that is so specialized and single tasked.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Promotion Not Be Worth It?

ringfinger wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Thief wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
There was an interesting job posting within my organization for a promotion to a position that would be a 5 mile commute (instead of 20 minutes in the heart of traffic). Of course a raise (5% immediately) and a higher cap (5k more than what I could make in my title now).

Downsides:

1. would be pigeonholed into one speciality/area. Could possibly down the road lead to further promotions, but I would literally be doing one type of law/job.

2. right now I'm sort of located in the "brains" of the operation that span across the entire state. I like that level of operation/thinking as I get to interact with many more managers/high level folks across the state rather than one smaller area.

I'm leaning towards not applying and waiting for a promotional opportunity here. What do y'all think? (I've been in my position for about 5 years now and I have a pretty easy load and have way less stress than previous to this job). Of course $ would be better, but that's really about it seems.

Sounds like you enjoy your current position and have minimal stress. If the new position is going to be more stressful then might not be worth the extra cash. 5k is not really that much when you factor in taxes. How secure is your current job compared to the new one? That would be another factor to look at.

Super secure. And in line for bigger things if I wait. Feels like I would be giving up 2 steps forward for 1 step now.
no such thing.take the promotion.
and then keep tabs on any opportunities at the old office. the moment those things pop up that you are saying will come up at some point in time. then you pounce on them. You will have been promoted once already proving you are that good at your job and are willing to learn new things. Promote, promote and promote again. unless of course you have zero desire to do the job this promotion is calling you to do. You may end up learning something that could give you an edge on that next promotion. you never know.

That's the thing. He has no desire to do the job the promotion is calling him to do.

The only reason he is even THINKING about it, is because it cuts his commute by 15 mins.

To me, that's A reason to consider a job change, but should never be THE reason.
But you may learn something new that you dont already know. This may make you better at the thing you want to do in the near future. But if he's assured that he will be the next man up for the position he really wants. by all means, hang tight and wait.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: