Mavericks to start Luka Doncic at Power Forward, Dirk goes to the bench

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Mavericks to start Luka Doncic at Power Forward, Dirk goes to the bench

Guess this means that Luka Doncic must really be slow to put him at the 4. Either that or they have no room for him with Barnes at the 3 and Dennis Smith Jr. at the 1

His agent must be livid
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mavericks to start Luka Doncic at Power Forward, Dirk goes to the bench

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Guess this means that Luka Doncic must really be slow to put him at the 4. Either that or they have no room for him with Barnes at the 3 and Dennis Smith Jr. at the 1

His agent must be livid

I bet he and Barnes will be interchangeable, but Barnes will take the more difficult defensive assignment every night.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mavericks to start Luka Doncic at Power Forward, Dirk goes to the bench

LongBeachPoly wrote:

His agent must be livid

You're making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Obviously, the Mavs were going to start Jordan, Smith and Barnes. Positions don't matter as much as they used to, so it isn't that big a deal whether you label Barnes or Doncic the pf. Basically, they are playing two small forwards with a traditional center.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Not to go off topic but I won’t be surprised if Dallas ends up squeeking into that 8th spot if Doncic and Smith have a very good year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Not to go off topic but I won’t be surprised if Dallas ends up squeeking into that 8th spot if Doncic and Smith have a very good year.

Doncic would have to produce like a star immediately for them to leapfrog the large mass of likely 35-45 win teams in the bulging middle of the Western Conference.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

The 4 = Euro LeBron expectation
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Doncic would have to produce like a star immediately for them to leapfrog the large mass of likely 35-45 win teams in the bulging middle of the Western Conference.

A lot of media outlets and fans think he can come in right away and make a Immediate Impact as a rookie.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

A lot of media outlets and fans think he can come in right away and make a Immediate Impact as a rookie.

Immediate impact for a rookie doesn't mean All-Star impact, which is what the Mavs would need to make the playoffs in the west, imo.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Immediate impact for a rookie doesn't mean All-Star impact, which is what the Mavs would need to make the playoffs in the west, imo.

Not gonna argue, cause you are probably right, but when looking at it and how a lot of teams have taken a step back.. in the West.. I.e. Pelicans/Spurs/Wolves, you just never know but I understand what you are saying.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mavericks to start Luka Doncic at Power Forward, Dirk goes to the bench

LongBeachPoly wrote:

His agent must be livid

Why would his agent be livid? He (the agent) gets paid no matter what position Doncic plays at.

Dirk is a really humble guy for willing to be benched for a rookie. No idea how someone can play PF at 6'6 though unless his name is Charles Barkley.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Not gonna argue, cause you are probably right, but when looking at it and how a lot of teams have taken a step back.. in the West.. I.e. Pelicans/Spurs/Wolves, you just never know but I understand what you are saying.

I don't know how far back those teams will step back, though, compared ti how much Dallas will step forward. I could see them surpass a dysfunctional Wolves team without Butler, but KAT is better than anyone on the Mavs, as are AD, Jrue, DeRozan, and LMA. Doncic is going to have to get as good or better than those guys to carry a pretty 'meh' roster past those three teams in the standings, let alone Denver and Portland.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

It'll be interesting to see how that coach works through his testing of styles and rotations. His job is to get the strongest unit on the floor together as much as possible this season, and at the same time develop his players. I personally have conflicting ideas for how much time will be needed to reveal the best rotation in Dallas. Unique talents can sometimes be integrated well starting on day one (Magic Johnson, LeBron James, Michael Jordan) and others (Kobe, Curry, Kawhi, Draymond) can take a little time to come on full boil.

I'd have no worries about matching guys to position labels. Just have to test things and develop things to see who can do what best with whom. Dirk seems about the last guy who would be either unfairly treated or harbor hurt feelings on becoming a relief player.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I don't know how far back those teams will step back, though, compared ti how much Dallas will step forward. I could see them surpass a dysfunctional Wolves team without Butler, but KAT is better than anyone on the Mavs, as are AD, Jrue, DeRozan, and LMA. Doncic is going to have to get as good or better than those guys to carry a pretty 'meh' roster past those three teams in the standings, let alone Denver and Portland.

They might not make the playoffs but it’s not crazy to think they can get close to wins in the late 30s or early 40s they have a lot of talent and people are just sleeping on them IMO, it’s possible Harrison Barnes blossoms into a star and they also have some nice players like DJ / Matthews / Powell... we also know they have a very smart coach who gets the most out of his players, it should easily be a season were they win 35-40 games.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mavericks to start Luka Doncic at Power Forward, Dirk goes to the bench

CandyCanes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

His agent must be livid

Why would his agent be livid? He (the agent) gets paid no matter what position Doncic plays at.

Dirk is a really humble guy for willing to be benched for a rookie. No idea how someone can play PF at 6'6 though unless his name is Charles Barkley.

One possible answer is contained in your question. Playing at the 4, at least over a long period, might wear his client down much, much faster than playing against wings that are either a little bigger, or a little smaller.

Wearing him down, at least over the long term, could affect his client's play, and ultimately the agent's paycheck. I'm just taking a shot at a possibility.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: