I Hope This Isn’t 2013 All Over Again
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: I Hope This Isn’t 2013 All Over Again

Let me just say that I am excited about this upcoming season.

We acquired the best player, there is tons of hype around the Lakers again and we have an overall improved roster! (at least on paper)

With that being said Part of me is worried about the worst. I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a disaster like the Howard and Nash team. There was much hype around that Laker team and it just didn’t work out.

I do believe Luke is a better coach than D’Antoni, well at least 12-13 D’Antoni, and I believe we have a collection of hard working young core.

What do you think? Is this a valid concern??
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

If Lebron is healthy, I do not think it is worth being concerned. I just do not think it will have a chance to go bad....because I assume if a player is not working with or a fit with Lebron....they will simply be moved.

Last edited by adkindo on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
I love Kobe 24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

No.

Getting lebron is not comparable to getting Dwight Howard and an aging Steve Nash.

Lebron best player in world... Dwight welll he was good in a dunk contest or something i don’t know
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: I Hope This Isn’t 2013 All Over Again

This is not even close to the same thing.....not even close. No concern at all.

Nash was a good pickup before his health went into the crapper. He came off a year of averaging a double double. He did have back injuries and he was like 38 years old so....not the best move.

Howard, I never liked the move. He wanted desperately to be moved, never really had the Lakers on his list of places, got shipped here, wasn't healthy, wasn't committed to the Lakers and wasn't truthful to his team about his interest in staying.

Even with that, they played decent....then Kobe went down.

Never liked Howard.....

This is different, its a different kind of rebuild. Yes, you got the best player in the world....but I feel its more like when Shaq came to town, the team was elevated. Also, adding Rondo is like adding a healthy Nash (to some degree) and the other pieces...

Difference now is the Lakers have a great young core to contend....Also, the chemistry is being built weeks back, now just starting now. I think you can feel the chemistry and competition is going to be great with this team. Mentors helping young players, its different.

NotHype wrote:
Let me just say that I am excited about this upcoming season.

We acquired the best player, there is tons of hype around the Lakers again and we have an overall improved roster! (at least on paper)

With that being said Part of me is worried about the worst. I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a disaster like the Howard and Nash team. There was much hype around that Laker team and it just didn’t work out.

I do believe Luke is a better coach than D’Antoni, well at least 12-13 D’Antoni, and I believe we have a collection of hard working young core.

NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
If Lebron is healthy, I do not think it is worth being concerned. I just do not think it will have a chance to go bad....because I assume if a player is not working with or a fit with Lebron....they will simply be moved.

Yes good health is always an important factor..

Do you think the only way a major trade is made this season is if guys don’t fit? I am seeing Stephen A Smith and others say they believe Magic will trade for someone like Davis

Edit: My mistake.. Jalen Rose said that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: I Hope This Isn’t 2013 All Over Again

NotHype wrote:

Sure, it's a valid concern. There are risks attached to Lebron, just as there were risks attached to Nash. Lebron turns 34 in December. I consider this to be an acceptable risk, but it is still a risk. Lebron does not have as many red flags as Nash and Howard, but this could still go bad. Kobe turned 34 during the 2013 season. He didn't finish the season and was never the same again.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

I think it won't be 2013 over again; it will instead be its own thing.

LeBron isn't Dwight and he's signed for a few campaigns; some better version of franchise/player commitment exists that we never had with DH. LeBron is certainly not as old or diminished (from his peak) the way Nash was (from his peak) when he signed here.

That said, the main potential for a leap of success in this season lay squarely on LeBron's health, IMO. I know Father Time always knocks a guy eventually and sometimes on the spot without much warning, but I guess we just gotta hope it's not coming anytime soon. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by 70sdude on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

None of our player is coming off back surgery ala Dwight (Lonzo's knee and Mo's knee maybe but not as bad as back surgery) and none of our player is 40 yrs old... we good
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

NotHype wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yes good health is always an important factor..

Do you think the only way a major trade is made this season is if guys don’t fit? I am seeing Stephen A Smith and others say they believe Magic will trade for someone like Davis

Edit: My mistake.. Jalen Rose said that.

just guessing....but I believe they will take this year as it comes. In January or February....if a current player is really not fitting (which I doubt will happen), I do not think they will shy away from getting a feel of what they could get in the market for the player. In regards to seeking a big trade....pretty much the same....I think they will look at options if they become available...but probably intend on taking the cap space into the summer. I do think near the deadline, they could look to tweak something if a weakness is identified.....and how much they would move to resolve a weakness is likely tied to how far they think the team could go in the playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

No, while Lebron might be this year’s version of Kobe, we have no Gasol. Nor did we add players of Nash’s or Howard’s ilk, even though Dwight wasn’t 100%. Maybe next season will be comparable but I don’t believe that this team is.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

The Dwight we got wasn’t the MVP level Dwight we saw in Orlando. We got a lower end top 20 player with attitude and injury problems.

LeBron is still a top one or two player in the league.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The Dwight we got wasn’t the MVP level Dwight we saw in Orlando. We got a lower end top 20 player with attitude and injury problems.

LeBron is still a top one or two player in the league.

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

We will fare better than that team did.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

This team is more similar to 2004 Lakers then 2013 Lakers with less drama.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

problem with that team is that we hired the wrong coach for that team. Firing Mike brown was an improvement but if Jim Buss hired Phil Jackson instead of Dantoni the results of that 13 team would be much different. definitely kobe wouldn't have been playing 48 minutes a game and than blowing out his Achilles.

So far Magic has made the right decisions regarding the structure of this team however, I did not like that he said no to Jerry West as an advisor. I will never forgive magic domed head for that one.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
problem with that team is that we hired the wrong coach for that team. Firing Mike brown was an improvement but if Jim Buss hired Phil Jackson instead of Dantoni the results of that 13 team would be much different. definitely kobe wouldn't have been playing 48 minutes a game and than blowing out his Achilles.

So far Magic has made the right decisions regarding the structure of this team however, I did not like that he said no to Jerry West as an advisor. I will never forgive magic domed head for that one.

You guys are so caught up with past Lakers people, yeah it would have been a good story if West came back but he is old... we needed fresh guys with energy being apart of the Organization.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:

You guys are so caught up with past Lakers people, yeah it would have been a good story if West came back but he is old... we needed fresh guys with energy being apart of the Organization.

I disagree Jerry West may be old but he brought success to every organization he has been a part of. Yes this includes Memphis!

I just hope his streak ends with the Clippers. every minute Jerry West is there gives other free agents hope of playing under possibly the greatest Gm of all time
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:

I disagree Jerry West may be old but he brought success to every organization he has been a part of. Yes this includes Memphis!

I just hope his streak ends with the Clippers. every minute Jerry West is there gives other free agents hope of playing under possibly the greatest Gm of all time

I get what you are saying, and yeah Clippers do have credibility now a lot more then in the past.. but we can’t keep complaining about every questionable move, that would just pile on the current FO accomplishments.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:

I get what you are saying, and yeah Clippers do have credibility now a lot more then in the past.. but we can’t keep complaining about every questionable move, that would just pile on the current FO accomplishments.

Fact....West was great in his day...He's 80 years old now...You think players really identify with him now? The new kids barely remember Magic in his hey day. Chris Paul had no problem leaving West and the Clips. You'll never move forward in your life if you keep looking at the past. Let it go.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Of course players identify with West now. Just ask KD.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:

Fact....West was great in his day...He's 80 years old now...You think players really identify with him now? The new kids barely remember Magic in his hey day. Chris Paul had no problem leaving West and the Clips. You'll never move forward in your life if you keep looking at the past. Let it go.

I agree, I get were fans like him are coming from though, true Laker people like West should be with the Lakers... I don’t think he’s gonna make a big Impact on FAs going to the Clippers like he did in the past, that’s up to Steve Ballmer and how much success they have as a team..
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Of course players identify with West now. Just ask KD.

I mean I’m sure he played a role in KD going to GS, but it’s easy for any big time FA to go to a team that won 73 games.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:

chris paul had a problem with blake griffin that's why he left. Blake stayed signed a contract and than got hurt and West traded him for picks and cleared cap space... Jerry West makes a team relevant which the clippers do not deserve. Next year they can sign 2 big free agents for anyone wanting to play in los angeles. I am worried Kawhi is one of them.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
999 wrote:

chris paul had a problem with blake griffin that's why he left. Blake stayed signed a contract and than got hurt and West traded him for picks and cleared cap space... Jerry West makes a team relevant which the clippers do not deserve. Next year they can sign 2 big free agents for anyone wanting to play in los angeles. I am worried Kawhi is one of them.

If the Clippers end up getting big time FAs, at least we will see Lakers/Clippers playoff battles
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm lost. What are the similarities between this team and that 2012-2013 one? It never would've crossed my mind to even make that comparison.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: