I Hope This Isn’t 2013 All Over Again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Our young core is much better than whatever young core we had at that time - I can't even remember who they were

Hm, Earl Clark?

My favorite player for 20 games.

We had Devin Ebanks too I believe.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Our young core is much better than whatever young core we had at that time - I can't even remember who they were

Hm, Earl Clark?

Earl Grant

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I Hope This Isn’t 2013 All Over Again

NotHype wrote:
Let me just say that I am excited about this upcoming season.

We acquired the best player, there is tons of hype around the Lakers again and we have an overall improved roster! (at least on paper)

With that being said Part of me is worried about the worst. I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a disaster like the Howard and Nash team. There was much hype around that Laker team and it just didn’t work out.

I do believe Luke is a better coach than D’Antoni, well at least 12-13 D’Antoni, and I believe we have a collection of hard working young core.

What do you think? Is this a valid concern??

Lebron is coming off an MVP level season, and there's no reason to think he won't have another one. Still, he's 34 and could get injured or break down at any time. I see no reason to worry about it. There are no guarantees but why waste time worrying about worst-case scenarios?
Julius Handle
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
This team is more similar to 2004 Lakers then 2013 Lakers with less drama.

It's nothing like 2004. Lakers had four established HOFers that year. This year's Lakers have 1. There really isn't anything to compare it to. LeBron is the second greatest player of all time coming off 8 straight NBA Finals. Since the Lakers never had Jordan, they've never had a player that is as good as LeBron which is saying a lot (Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Kobe).
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject:

My worst fear is that LBJ go down with a serious injury, like Kobe did and he’s never the same again, and we’re stuck with a big fat contract that no one wants. Granted, worst case scenario, I’m so psyched and happy that he’s here, but I can’t help but feel a liitl bit uneasy about it all.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject:

Kobe should have won 4 MVP awards that year. He was incredible.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject:

The Lakers dug themselves a huge hole in 2013. They were all but eliminated from playoff contention before the all star break and they were forced to overuse Kobe and the other starters just to salvage the season.

After seeing a Lakers team in the playoffs with a D league starting backcourt, I think the higher ups realized they need to be more proactive about this sort of thing in the future. A few close early season games going the other way could have allowed the Lakers to coast in to the playoffs.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

I love Kobe 24 wrote:
No.

Getting lebron is not comparable to getting Dwight Howard and an aging Steve Nash.

Lebron best player in world... Dwight welll he was good in a dunk contest or something i don’t know
sure it is. dwight + nash even older is better than one lebron. because 2 is better than one when 2 are high level allstars and one is a mvp pg.

the difference is, dwight was younger but he had a back problem. no one knew what that meant at the time. but we had to get rid of drew with his knees. what happened to nash had little to do with age and more to do with a fluke injury. hopefully bron doesnt sustain some fluke injury. but that could happen to any team.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
My worst fear is that LBJ go down with a serious injury, like Kobe did and he’s never the same again, and we’re stuck with a big fat contract that no one wants. Granted, worst case scenario, I’m so psyched and happy that he’s here, but I can’t help but feel a liitl bit uneasy about it all.
that could happen with any star player on any franchise. so no reason in thinking about it.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Judah wrote:
I'm lost. What are the similarities between this team and that 2012-2013 one? It never would've crossed my mind to even make that comparison.

Probably because that team had high expectations with full of excitement but ended up disappointing and eventually Imploding..

This team doesn't have high expectations. And the excitement is completely different. The excitement that year was because of the historic talent and presumption that they would win the title. The excitement this year is primarily about the fact that LeBron James is a Laker. Again, there are no similarities. I don't get this. This is one of the most random comparisons ever. This team has more in common with the Sixers of 2001, but even that comparison would be weird.

I don’t understand the comparison either. This team picked up one of the greatest players ever. The 2013 team already had one of the greatest players ever and a HOF player that won 2 champions with him, and then added a HOF PG and what we thought was a HOF center.

This season is probably more similar to the 90’s when the Lakers had no HOF players for a few years after Magic retired, and then we got excited when the team picked up Shaq. But the Chicago Bulls were a 72 win team in the league that was still an overwhelming favorite that had just won a championship. But picking up a player like Shaq to join a young team with talented young players was still exciting.

But even that situation had some major differences.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: I Hope This Isn’t 2013 All Over Again

NotHype wrote:
Let me just say that I am excited about this upcoming season.

We acquired the best player, there is tons of hype around the Lakers again and we have an overall improved roster! (at least on paper)

With that being said Part of me is worried about the worst. I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a disaster like the Howard and Nash team. There was much hype around that Laker team and it just didn’t work out.

I do believe Luke is a better coach than D’Antoni, well at least 12-13 D’Antoni, and I believe we have a collection of hard working young core.

What do you think? Is this a valid concern??

The situation was a terrible one for D’Antoni. Constant and devastating injuries, and he stepped in during the season and replaced a coach that was very different than him, and D’Antoni didn’t even have his own training camp and preseason.

One reason the D’Antoni hiring was annoying is the team needed several weeks to adjust to such a drastic change. It was one reason people wanted Phil; most of the players were used to playing for him.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

That team was expected to win the championship. This team is expected to get knocked out by the second round.

Different expectations
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

Big difference here is that Dwight was coming off injury to his back, which lets be honest, is a serious issue. Further Nash was already in decline and only played in 62 games the year prior. I would also argue both are fools gold. Howard survived off of his athleticism but never developed any real offensive game and as injuries slowed him, he was exposed. I have also held the belief that Nash was over hyped during his years in Phoenix. He ran what was the perfect offense for him, but was always a defensive liability. They just overwhelmed teams by outscoring them. As good as Nash was, Dallas with Dirk & Nash never even made it to the finals.

I would compare Lebron to Karl Malone, except a few years earlier than the Lakers got him. Karl never had a serious injury until that year with the Lakers. He remained in stellar condition and is built like a tank.

Last Lebron is not fools gold. He is legitimately one of the all time greats if not the GOAT (not here to argue that point). Only thing I worry about is he may eventually have that injury similar to Karl but hopefully that doesn't happen.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

I'd compare 33 yr old LeBron to 33 yr old Kobe, similar mileage. Prior to the freak achilles injury, Kobe was still playing MVP level ball
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Julius Handle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
This team is more similar to 2004 Lakers then 2013 Lakers with less drama.

It's nothing like 2004. Lakers had four established HOFers that year. This year's Lakers have 1. There really isn't anything to compare it to. LeBron is the fifth greatest player of all time coming off 8 straight NBA Finals. Since the Lakers never had Jordan they miss out on number 6, and they've only had 4 players better than LeBron which is saying a lot (Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Kobe).

Fixed it for ya. You had a decent post until that point. Rookie mistakes happen.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I think of the 98-99 Lakers
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

2013 started with controversy with the coaching situation and Dwight's one year rental was added pressure to win now. And a big thing was we had no young core as a backup.

Like someone already said, there's less pressure to reach the finals this year than in 2013 given the circumstances above.

There is pressure to reach the playoffs and make some noise, however. Stakes are just a little lower this year. And Luke doesn't have MDA's pressure from the pro PJ crowd - i was one of them, i still think that was a terrible move to pick MDA over PJ for that team. Thank goodness we don't have that kind of issue this year.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
2013 started with controversy with the coaching situation and Dwight's one year rental was added pressure to win now. And a big thing was we had no young core as a backup.

Like someone already said, there's less pressure to reach the finals this year than in 2013 given the circumstances above.

There is pressure to reach the playoffs and make some noise, however. Stakes are just a little lower this year. And Luke doesn't have MDA's pressure from the pro PJ crowd - i was one of them, i still think that was a terrible move to pick MDA over PJ for that team. Thank goodness we don't have that kind of issue this year.

I think Luke will prove to be a great coach...
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

yup.
The whole Dwight thing was essentially a rushed plan B for what happened with the CP3 veto. Like, we couldnt do kobe-cp3-d12, so here just take nash and do it like that way. I dont blame the org too much for all these things because that veto was devastating.

MDA is one of the only inside NBA guys that has ever spoken clearly about that veto in terms that i appreciate, he said something like it has turned the Lakers org back about 15-20 years because of the veto. Even this whole lebron thing is still a move that is recovering from the veto.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

If Nash was on the 2012 Lakers instead of the 2013 Lakers, and if we saw the 2012 version of Nash, that could have made a very big difference for that team. People were excited about Ramon Sessions being the PG for that team.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
If Nash was on the 2012 Lakers instead of the 2013 Lakers, and if we saw the 2012 version of Nash, that could have made a very big difference for that team. People were excited about Ramon Sessions being the PG for that team.

interesting comment. I enjoyed ramon that year, he was pretty good. I hate to say it, but he might be better than many of the guys we have now! "well if he's so good, where is he now??" you might ask. well see where hart, kuz, svi, zubac, lonzo are in 5 years lol.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

interesting comment. I enjoyed ramon that year, he was pretty good. I hate to say it, but he might be better than many of the guys we have now! "well if he's so good, where is he now??" you might ask. well see where hart, kuz, svi, zubac, lonzo are in 5 years lol.

Kuz and Lonzo were both better last year than Sessions that year. And Hart was for the second half of the year. Sessions was not a very good player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: