How do you feel about the Center position?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
1ngr4m
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 5826

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: How do you feel about the Center position?

We're not going to have a traditional center for 48 minutes in this offense but even McGee isn't a good one on one defender. Seems like we're going to get grilled by centers all season.

Is there enough centers on contenders for it to become a problem?
How about the wear and tear on Kuzma/Lebron in the long run?
Is it worth it trying to have them play back up center minutes every single game unless Zubac shows out?
Hotel Trivago?
_________________
Did Jordan Clarkson think Metta's 3 at the end was going in? "I don't know. He was shaking like a stripper in the corner."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96040
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

A bit concerned.
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 24961

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

I love it.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

Zo.Kuz.LBJ.Hart.Tyson: NetRtg +8.9
Zo.Kuz.LBJ.KCP.Tyson: NetRtg +14.6
Zo.Kuz.LBJ.Hart.McGee: NetRtg +15.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 13388
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

I miss Brook Lopez. Him and McGee sharing the minutes would be very good, the way this roster is built.
_________________
SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1214

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

That Kubac guy is horrible. It seems he's actually gotten worse, instead of better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Posts: 1065

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

Bottom 3 center rotation in the league.
_________________
If Brandon Knight were to come out, I would take him number 1 in the draft. - Magic Johnson Mar 27, 2011

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 128843
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

It isn’t going to be pretty. I like McGee but Zubac is slow and the small ball thing wasn’t impressive.
_________________
Oh when the Saints, come marching in..........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60329
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

Mad, because Cs taking advantage of smaller guys at the hoop lead to higher PPP and I thought that was evident with Jokic v Kuzma.

You need a guy with actual post base to hold position if you're not going to provide team help/double teams. PJ Tucker has that post base, Kuzma does not. Even Beasley has more of that post base and showed some decent sequences defensively.

But it has to be LeBron at 5, Kuzma 4.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, Lindell Wigginton, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield @bball-index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 5950

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

Magic and Rob's first major blunder was not bringing in more size.

IMO, Boogie at the value he got was a no brainer. We need size in the worst way and Boogie is not only that, but arguably the best Center in the NBA Totally different player than McGee and rotations would be drastically better, but he was totally worth the shot. Worst case, we have the same rotation as today. Best case, Boogie eventually returns to form and opens up things for us while McGee runs with 2nd the unit.

This is also a decent time to bring up Randle and his ability to play the 5 but play the style we want. Let's not go there.

In the end, I'n totally fine with McGee as a start, but Zu looks worse and worse every time we see him. I guess its between his ears but ever since we've really upped the pace with Lonzo and now LeBron, he's looked like fish out of water. We need someone else with size even if it's for a few mins per game. Ed Davis and Lopez come to mind as both took one year deals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jul 2001
Posts: 4348
Location: Oxnard, CA - The Nard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

Andrew Bynum is becoming more of a possibility everyday. One on one defense on centers was his strength.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17390

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I miss Brook Lopez. Him and McGee sharing the minutes would be very good, the way this roster is built.

Agreed. Even if Lopez only hit 33-34% of his threes, he was enough of a threat to provide some floor spacing while being a big body against the Embiid and Jokic types.

The Lakers still could've run small ball situationally with a rotation of Brook and JaVale, but now they have to make small ball work in order to cover for the lack of playable depth behind McGee.
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Sep 2017
Posts: 437

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

I'm wondering why we turned down DeMarcus Cousins...especially since all it took was a one year deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17390

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Magic and Rob's first major blunder was not bringing in more size.

IMO, Boogie at the value he got was a no brainer. We need size in the worst way and Boogie is not only that, but arguably the best Center in the NBA Totally different player than McGee and rotations would be drastically better, but he was totally worth the shot. Worst case, we have the same rotation as today. Best case, Boogie eventually returns to form and opens up things for us while McGee runs with 2nd the unit.

This is also a decent time to bring up Randle and his ability to play the 5 but play the style we want. Let's not go there.

In the end, I'n totally fine with McGee as a start, but Zu looks worse and worse every time we see him. I guess its between his ears but ever since we've really upped the pace with Lonzo and now LeBron, he's looked like fish out of water. We need someone else with size even if it's for a few mins per game. Ed Davis and Lopez come to mind as both took one year deals.

They might have to trade a pick for Robin Lopez


_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96040
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Brook-22mpg
Javale-15mpg

remaining minutes, LBJ.

Would have been ideal as Brook took less than the room exception.
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17390

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:
I'm wondering why we turned down DeMarcus Cousins...especially since all it took was a one year deal.

Because he tore his achilles tendon.
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 22313
Location: LA, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

It is still early to worry about the C position a lot of bigs will likely be available during the season..

Koufus
Tyson Chandler
Marcin Gortat
Vucevic

We can weather the storm until the FO eventually settles for another big..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60329
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
danzag wrote:
I miss Brook Lopez. Him and McGee sharing the minutes would be very good, the way this roster is built.

Agreed. Even if Lopez only hit 33-34% of his threes, he was enough of a threat to provide some floor spacing while being a big body against the Embiid and Jokic types.

The Lakers still could've run small ball situationally with a rotation of Brook and JaVale, but now they have to make small ball work in order to cover for the lack of playable depth behind McGee.


I was getting infuriated when some Denver bigs were playing "keep away" just tapping the ball up from 2 Laker players. We rarely saw this when Lopez was rooting that guy out.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, Lindell Wigginton, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield @bball-index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 3708

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

DO NOT make Kooz into a center. It's going to ruin him. He's the type of player who likes to score and if you make him play too much defense, he will not have the energy to put up big scoring number. In a way, he's like a bigger version of IT. Banging body against 7-footers is going to wear him down very quickly.

PLEASE, leave Kooz alone and let him play his natural position where he can excel.

As for our lack of a starting center, we're (bleep) when we decided not to bring back Brolo. Serviceable centers are not easy to come by in this league.
_________________
#TrustThePlan


Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 5950

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
It is still early to worry about the C position a lot of bigs will likely be available during the season..

Koufus
Tyson Chandler
Marcin Gortat
Vucevic

We can weather the storm until the FO eventually settles for another big..


I think Tyson eventually get's bought out.. hopefully he starts putting pressure on them to do so before December.

He would be the best we could do without giving up much to get him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Sep 2017
Posts: 437

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:
I'm wondering why we turned down DeMarcus Cousins...especially since all it took was a one year deal.

Because he tore his achilles tendon.


If he's only 50% of the player he was before...that still would be the best center on our roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 10896

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
DO NOT make Kooz into a center. It's going to ruin him. He's the type of player who likes to score and if you make him play too much defense, he will not have the energy to put up big scoring number. In a way, he's like a bigger version of IT. Banging body against 7-footers is going to wear him down very quickly.

PLEASE, leave Kooz alone and let him play his natural position where he can excel.

As for our lack of a starting center, we're (bleep) when we decided not to bring back Brolo. Serviceable centers are not easy to come by in this league.


You would be correct after one preseason game, but I don't think we can make conclusions that quickly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 3708

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:
I'm wondering why we turned down DeMarcus Cousins...especially since all it took was a one year deal.

Because he tore his achilles tendon.


If he's only 50% of the player he was before...that still would be the best center on our roster.



Hindsight is 20/20 but I would love to have Cousins right now. It's a risk we would have to take but NBA is a risky business.
_________________
#TrustThePlan


Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17390

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
lonzobryant wrote:
I'm wondering why we turned down DeMarcus Cousins...especially since all it took was a one year deal.

Because he tore his achilles tendon.


If he's only 50% of the player he was before...that still would be the best center on our roster.

We'll see when he comes back and if he's even 50% of the player he was before.
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 22313
Location: LA, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
It is still early to worry about the C position a lot of bigs will likely be available during the season..

Koufus
Tyson Chandler
Marcin Gortat
Vucevic

We can weather the storm until the FO eventually settles for another big..


I think Tyson eventually get's bought out.. hopefully he starts putting pressure on them to do so before December.

He would be the best we could do without giving up much to get him.


I think a few factors will determine rather he gets bought out.. like.. will they be a team that might make a run at a 8th seed and make it less likely they buy him out knowing that he has championship experience and they will need him around there team, and also if he has motivation to play for us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
av3773
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Posts: 2998

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

A bit concerned, too bad Mo is injured I would really like to see what he can do as the primary backup...I think ultimately he is probably going to be our best bet for backing up Mcgee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 1 of 37
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB