How do you feel about the Center position?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wait.

How are free shots acquiring talent, not the best ways to acquire talent? It costs them research time and that's it.

2-3 airballs in Utah just meant he was back in the gym, shooting, like he would have already. Don't you think? Unlike the rest of the vets on the team, he was actually willing to take those shots. BTW, that isn't 2-3 games in a series. The Lakers were swept that year, remember?

That's just playing time in a critical game. If Luke Walton doesn't give the kids critical PT in a playoff game, that's a problem.

WCS is going to have a positive impact, but then you're losing that positive impact because he's gone next season. So, once again, IF the trade were to work, you lose him for nothing still.

But clearly you think the stars will align so that the Lakers will win *This season*. This, is the problem with the entire argument.

No second round picks are not the best way to acquire talent because despite the lack of costs, there’s very very little upside to it because there’s little talent yet. If you don’t think those air balls were valuable to his development we agree to disagree but frankly I think that’s a ridiculous statement. I’m not sure why the getting swept part is relevant at all.

I don’t think the stars will align I acknowledged it’s a crazy hypothetical. Don’t twist my argument. I’m saying(and have said numerous times at this point) IF the stars do align I wanna be prepared and although I wouldn’t give up a lottery or late first to be prepared, I sure as hell would give up the 52nd pick to be prepared. Odds are, that pick never contributes anything anyways.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wait.

How are free shots acquiring talent, not the best ways to acquire talent? It costs them research time and that's it.

2-3 airballs in Utah just meant he was back in the gym, shooting, like he would have already. Don't you think? Unlike the rest of the vets on the team, he was actually willing to take those shots. BTW, that isn't 2-3 games in a series. The Lakers were swept that year, remember?

That's just playing time in a critical game. If Luke Walton doesn't give the kids critical PT in a playoff game, that's a problem.

WCS is going to have a positive impact, but then you're losing that positive impact because he's gone next season. So, once again, IF the trade were to work, you lose him for nothing still.

But clearly you think the stars will align so that the Lakers will win *This season*. This, is the problem with the entire argument.

No second round picks are not the best way to acquire talent because despite the lack of costs, there’s very very little upside to it because there’s little talent yet. If you don’t think those air balls were valuable to his development we agree to disagree but frankly I think that’s a ridiculous statement. I’m not sure why the getting swept part is relevant at all.

I don’t think the stars will align I acknowledged it’s a crazy hypothetical. Don’t twist my argument. I’m saying(and have said numerous times at this point) IF the stars do align I wanna be prepared and although I wouldn’t give up a lottery or late first to be prepared, I sure as hell would give up the 52nd pick to be prepared. Odds are, that pick never contributes anything anyways.

1. The upside is dependent on draft depth, research, decision-making, and player development. That's minimal cost to the team with cost control once the player is drafted.
2. As far as I'm concerned, that's the stars aligning. It takes a unique situation for all that to happen just to get the Lakers into the Finals and you believe in that route.
3. Your primary argument with Kobe and Utah doesn't hold. That's a situation within a game, not a series being extended. In the end, did he not get his playoff experience?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
JRocc88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

So how do we feel about the center position?
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm good with it. There are only a few teams we need to worry about as far as big guys are concerned. And the very best teams are not dominant at center. Warriors are the only interesting one imo considering they have Cousins. But we will see.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wait.

1. The upside is dependent on draft depth, research, decision-making, and player development. That's minimal cost to the team with cost control once the player is drafted.
2. As far as I'm concerned, that's the stars aligning. It takes a unique situation for all that to happen just to get the Lakers into the Finals and you believe in that route.
3. Your primary argument with Kobe and Utah doesn't hold. That's a situation within a game, not a series being extended. In the end, did he not get his playoff experience?

1) even in the deepest drafts(which this one may not be) the 50-60 picks very very rarely turn into NBA players let alone contributing players. That’s an non debatable fact. Assuming you’ll get a contributing player is expecting the stars to align as much as expecting Curry to get hurt is. Those picks are not how you build a roster.
2) No it’s not. I’m simply willing to trade a 50s pick to improve the roster even if it’s slightly and for one year. I’ll trade a 50s pick to improve the Lakers championship chances from 1% to 2% without second thought cause that’s around the odds you get a valuable player with in that range.
3) It holds because if they had lost in the series before that and hadn’t gotten to the Utah series he wouldn’t have experienced that. You know, exactly like the hypothetical that we lose to Utah before GSW that I already explained to you?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

Mikan
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Pau
McGee

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

JRocc88 wrote:
So how do we feel about the center position?

Still very concerned.

McGee is playing with a ton of energy. But behind that the Lakers are getting killed.

Not just the center position. It is the trickle down when they play small ball or without any physical paint players.

One example was how Collins and Harkless would get switched onto players like Hart in the paint. Resulting in scoring and second chance points for the Blazers. Size also led to blocks and contested shots leading to bad Laker possessions.

That is going to keep happening all season long.

More then just the center position. Who is the Lakers most physical rebounder and paint presence right now? Simple answer... they don't have one.

Lakers are a finesse team that rely on high energy, quickness and hitting shots. Only 2 of 3 of those elements last night cost them. Some nights it will be enough.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Yup and he thinks he's worth a lot of $. BTW anyone surprised Nance got paid more than Randle? I did.

There are a few reasons for that:

1. Nance didn't get paid too much more. It just looks that way because his contract was frontloaded. By the fourth year of his contract, Nance will be making about $9 million while Randle might be making three times that.

2. Cleveland overpaid because Nance is the son of a Cleveland legend and they wanted to appease the fan base after losing Lebron.

3. Julius ended up on a tight market with no team holding his Bird rights. His options were limited.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Javale is playing great, but the small ball line-up is giving up a ton of rebounds. I don't think Kuzma is the answer at center. I'm still hopeful that Wagner can do a better job but we aren't going very far with the current center rotation.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Kuz is looking for minutes and we need a backup center for small ball
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Mo Wagner just had his first 5 on 5 contact drills today. That's great news, but I'd temper expectations as to how soon he becomes an answer to the center dilemma. Mo's missed all of training camp, he's not in game shape, he's never played at all with most players on the roster before today, and he's a rookie.

Silver lining: minute restriction protocol won't be a factor in how much playing time he gets. He'll get his full three minutes whenever we've got a game in the fridge these next couple months.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Offer magic a first round plus a prospect for Vučević
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Mo Wagner just had his first 5 on 5 contact drills today. That's great news, but I'd temper expectations as to how soon he becomes an answer to the center dilemma. Mo's missed all of training camp, he's not in game shape, he's never played at all with most players on the roster before today, and he's a rookie.

Silver lining: minute restriction protocol won't be a factor in how much playing time he gets. He'll get his full three minutes whenever we've got a game in the fridge these next couple months.

I liked what I saw in SL. Definitely has some NBA skills, and is likely a significant upgrade over Zubac.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Thomas Bryant.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
Offer magic a first round plus a prospect for Vučević

and what salary do we send back?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

FWIW, I'm not optimistic about Moe Wagner solving rebounding issues. He was among NCAA worst against post defense... somewhat related to his lack of low post base in the first place.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
Thomas Bryant.

Similar issues with Zubac.

lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

I would love to have TWO Javale Mcgee's!!
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:

My theory is...that was essentially the plan!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:

Mitchell Robinson was available at pick #25.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

Blame his bum ass agent...or maybe not. If he had a decent agent prolly would be picked before us. If he had Pelinka he would be in the lottery. It was up to several teams to overlook this. Apparently we had a provate workout

Im happy to have moe. Be glad hes not on Boston or Golden State
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:

that toothpick will help our rebounding
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

that toothpick will help our rebounding

He's playing today coming off of a sprained ankle.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

If you want rebounding just pick up Thomas Robinson or gasp play Zubac.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
If you want rebounding just pick up Thomas Robinson or gasp play Zubac.

TRob has no touch, but for sure, the rebounding is there.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 26 of 37
Jump to: